Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Still not white tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hire him and he can crank out 10 sequels before the end of the decade.

edit:

I'd love Harmony Korine to direct. I'd pay $50 to see Kylo Ren sitting in a space bathtub eating space spaghetti.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hire John Waters and we might get a CGI Peter Cushing eating dog poo poo off the ground.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

Still not white tho.

Actually, that means he's hella white.

In order to fight cultural appropriation, Alladin should played by a Frenchman in yellowface.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Well that or get a nonwhite person to write and direct, I guess.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Get James Earl Jones to direct.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

Well that or get a nonwhite person to write and direct, I guess.

That's oddly vague.

It's important to be specific. Otherwise, you would petition for the Lion King remake to go 'back to its roots' as a Kenyan folktale. We need a Kenyan guy to direct, right?

No such folktale is exists; Simba was originally a manga/anime character, voiced by a Japanese woman. Also he's from 1950s Tanzania.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
All right, Kumail Nanjiani should write, direct, and star in Aladdin. Pakistan's about halfway between the Levant and China.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mel Gibson's "Aladdin"

Woody Allen's "Star Wars Episode IX"

Roman Polanski's "The Lion King"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Roman Polanski's "The Lion King"

That wouldn't work, lions eat their young.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

That wouldn't work, lions eat their young.

Only the cubs of other males.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

All right, Kumail Nanjiani should write, direct, and star in Aladdin. Pakistan's about halfway between the Levant and China.

You're missing the point: the only way to make a proper Alladin film is to make it more historically inaccurate.

The fatal flaw of the 1992 film is not that its star is white; it's that they invented a fictional country to excuse the Hollywood horseshit. "Agrabah" is nonsense; the movie is set in part of Ottoman Empire 'near the Jordan River', around 1600 - probably Palestine. With that established, go fuckin crazy with the 300-style cave trolls and such.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's oddly vague.

It's important to be specific. Otherwise, you would petition for the Lion King remake to go 'back to its roots' as a Kenyan folktale. We need a Kenyan guy to direct, right?

No such folktale is exists; Simba was originally a manga/anime character, voiced by a Japanese woman. Also he's from 1950s Tanzania.

I think you'll find he was actually invented by William Shakespeare.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hire John Waters and we might get a CGI Divine eating dog poo poo off the ground.

Fixed that for ya.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

In Aladdin movie news they had to make up a part for a white person so they could cast a white person because we couldn't have a movie that didn't have any white people

I hope he shows up and is immediately decapitated. "Prince Anders"???? gtfo out of agrabah with that bullshiiiiiit

clearly Gaspar Noe is the only one who could make Star Wars a fitting visual spectacle and something that would make everyone in the theater projectile vomit, which is the goals I want for any new stupid sci fi film

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Obviously it's a stealth Varangian Guard movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Byzantine posted:

Obviously it's a stealth Varangian Guard movie.

What Aladdin needs is definitely more Vikings. A bunch of drunk Vikings as a Greek chorus for the Sultan.

...they'd probably be more or less replacing the guards, come to think of it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This is idiotic but a massive improvement for Disney, who gave us a Prince of Persia movie where basically the entire cast was white except for Ben Kingsley who is half Indian. Still too idiotic for me to ever see the movie though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I'm more interested in seeing a MGS movie than another Star Wars movie, which isn't a diss Star Wars, it's just that it's been done. Adapting Kojima to film is something I'd really like to see.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rick posted:

I'm more interested in seeing a MGS movie than another Star Wars movie, which isn't a diss Star Wars, it's just that it's been done. Adapting Kojima to film is something I'd really like to see.

They could probably fix the mess that Big Boss became.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The MGS series was already like movies. Adapt them into stage shows on Broadway. Now that'd be entertaining.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It would require an intricate series of transparent duct works suspended above the audience, but god drat I would I like to see that done.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The thing with star wars is, it needed to be taken away from Lucas badly, but Disney was the wrong choice, completely.

I just want to see something unique done in the franchise that doesn't suck poo poo. The prequels blow a rancid load, but at least Lucas was thinking like someone with an imagination. "I'm going to tell a new story instead of remaking the same one over and over"

and disney is the exact opposite.

I am really sure TLJ will match Empire story beat for story beat and tone.

The only one I have doubts about is episode 9 matching the tone of episode 6, since ROTJ was kind of a mess and easily the most disposable of the original trilogy.

But a director just left, probably because disney wasn't really going to let him do his job, and are keenly interested in taking zero risk, which means it will probably be very ROTJ-ish.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They could probably fix the mess that Big Boss became.

I feel like there's a version of MGS1 that can be told without having to worry about Big Boss too much. Although I want loving everything, Big Boss mess is half the appeal.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

basic hitler posted:

But a director just left, probably because disney wasn't really going to let him do his job, and are keenly interested in taking zero risk, which means it will probably be very ROTJ-ish.

This part I doubt. Trevorrow seems like the kind of director who would do whatever the producers wanted (see: Jurassic World). So they either bumped him because of Book of Henry, he left because of the reaction to Book of Henry or, as someone mentioned in another thread, Disney likes The Last Jedi and wants someone who will follow that closer.

I mean, you're absolutely right that they'll be taking zero risk and it'll probably end up being very ROTJ.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gatts posted:

The MGS series was already like movies. Adapt them into stage shows on Broadway. Now that'd be entertaining.

Metal Gear Solid the Romantic Comedy. Also I hope Colin instead is the director for Spaceballs 3: The Search for Spaceballs 2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Metal Gear is already kind of Star Wars in the modern day.

Peanut President posted:

Metal Gear Solid the Romantic Comedy.

It's not already?

But I do think the time is right for a Metal Gear movie. I kept hoping the last Bond flick would turn into Metal Gear. They had a whole thing going for Bond and Bloefeld as Solid and Liquid.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Skwirl posted:

loving lol if you think whoever they get will have significant creative control. They fired a couple of guys most known for making comedies because the movie they were making was too much of a comedy.

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/905245458209038336

when Marvel serfs are dunking on your practices you have a problem

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/905245458209038336

when Marvel serfs are dunking on your practices you have a problem

Tell that to Edgar Wright

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Tell that to Zod's butchered in post movie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

jokes aside, I can't wait to see what Taika Waititi does next. If Ragnarok is nearly as good as it looks in the promo materials, dude should have a blank cheque for his next project. I'm excited for one of these movies to actually be funny too.

The other Marvel movies don't do much for me, humour-wise, while the shorts he's made for Ragnarok + his previous movies are much more my type of humour. It's a fairly dry sort of humour, very common in NZ / Australia and I think it works well with Hemsworth in the lead.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, that's the benefit of working with a well-oiled machine like Marvel, I guess. He's basically guaranteed a hit, he'll have a better time getting his next movie off the ground, and it actually didn't take up too much time. As a bonus, it looks all right.

On the flip side, it feels like Rian Johnson has been working on The Last Jedi for a drat decade.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

If Ragnarok is nearly as good as it looks in the promo materials,

I'll save you the suspense. It won't. It'll be fine, servicable even. And will provoke a positive shrug.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a surprising amount of Australian superheroes in cinema. A little odd, given I recall some writers talking about how two Western countries- Australia and Germany- are ones where the traditional hero narrative is rarely found in native works, though they'll happily enjoy such narratives produced by other countries. Germany obviously has understandable issues with black-and-white morality tales, while Australians just seem to prefer antiheroes for the most part.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

I'll save you the suspense. It won't. It'll be fine, servicable even. And will provoke a positive shrug.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Taika is a national treasure and I love him very much.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

There's a surprising amount of Australian superheroes in cinema.

As far as casting, we're all very handsome and speak English as a first language. American TV has trained us all to do the accent, too.

Narratively, our biggest national ""hero"" is a dude who shot a bunch of cops, built some armour and eventually got hanged. Doesn't exactly mesh with Campbell's heroes.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ned Kelly really is a drat hero and his story is maybe the coolest thing australia has or ever will produce.

The voice can be a bit annoying but these videos are neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1WmidFwFzY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

To be honest I think every Bond movie I watch from SPECTRE til I did I'll be quietly hoping ends with Bond fighting a giant robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He fights alongside jets, tanks, helicopters and, once or twice, a satellite system.

It's only a matter of time before drones or bigdogs show up as stuff henchmen get churned up by. Walking tank is the next step after that.

• Locked thread