Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Outside - 19: The True Story of the Yarnell Hill Fire posted:

On the morning of June 30, all 20 members of Prescott, Arizona's Granite Mountain Hotshots headed into the mountains to protect the small town of Yarnell from an advancing blaze. Later that day, every man but one was dead. Through interviews with family, colleagues, and the lone survivor, a former hotshot pieces together their final hours—and the fatal choices.

A good but long longform article about firefighters lost fighting a wildfire. :(

treasured8elief has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Besesoth posted:

What's Alinea?

poo poo dawg, it's like, at least as good as Red Lobster. Right up there with Outback.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

dobbymoodge posted:

poo poo dawg, it's like, at least as good as Red Lobster. Right up there with Outback.

Well goddamn :bahgawd:

(I know, I have Achatz's cookbook. :))

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pookel posted:

Honestly I would put him ahead of all of those for people of my generation (I was a teenager in the 1990s). His name is a household word, you couldn't read or watch the news without seeing something about him regularly for a long time.

ETA: I get that there are people who don't know anything about American serial killers, but, like ... how can someone follow creepy/unnerving news in English and still not know who he is?

I don't think you can put Dahmer ahead of Bundy. Maybe tied. People still know who Ted Bundy was.

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 08:04 on Sep 6, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bundy's sort of your classic "semi-charming rear end in a top hat who is actually a hugely successful killer of women" so he's sort of the type specimen for that kind of killer, to this day. But I feel like I hear Dahmer's name thrown around more because people use it euphemistically when referring to cannibals.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Here's the pic, by the way

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Stay safe, snow bong.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
that's a pretty sick bong

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
"You made reservations at Chili's?"

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Stupid Jeffrey, the snow will just melt when you try to light it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
When I was a kid I thought Ted and Al Bundy were based on the same person and I avoided watching Married with Children because I didn't understand how people could find a serial killer funny.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

quite stretched out posted:

that's a pretty sick bong

Yeah, say what you want about his sex abuse murdering ways, but dude could make a good snow bong.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

When I was a kid I thought Ted and Al Bundy were based on the same person and I avoided watching Married with Children because I didn't understand how people could find a serial killer funny.

The Bundy's were given Ted's last name because the writers of the show wanted to name them something reprehensible to drive home that they are lovely, lovely people.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Killingyouguy! posted:

On the other hand, isn't it kind of exciting?

This is true, I kind of envy someone for whom all of this stuff is brand new.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

OutOfPrint posted:

The Bundy's were given Ted's last name because the writers of the show wanted to name them something reprehensible to drive home that they are lovely, lovely people.

I thought they were named after King Kong Bundy the pro wrestler.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth posted:

I thought they were named after King Kong Bundy the pro wrestler.

That is correct.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dahmer's crimes and trial took place in the early 90's so for kids who grew up during that time he's a bigger name than Bundy. Bundy was more influential in terms of the standard serial killer media that most people have seen, he would be the archetype of what most people think about.

Dahmer became famous more because of the nature of the crimes themselves, he had a whole "house of horrors" thing going on that Bundy didn't. Bundy was just an very efficient killer of women, Dahmer was drilling holes in peoples heads and using acid and cannibalizing them etc, so the media latched onto that big time. Anyway, you couldn't really be paying attention to the news in 1991-1992 and not know who Dahmer was, he was all over the news.

Of course, who the media chooses to make into an iconic monster is somewhat random. Ed Kemper always seemed to me to be just as horrific as any serial killer I'd ever read about but the average person would never know about him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basebf555 posted:

Dahmer's crimes and trial took place in the early 90's so for kids who grew up during that time he's a bigger name than Bundy. Bundy was more influential in terms of the standard serial killer media that most people have seen, he would be the archetype of what most people think about.

Dahmer became famous more because of the nature of the crimes themselves, he had a whole "house of horrors" thing going on that Bundy didn't. Bundy was just an very efficient killer of women, Dahmer was drilling holes in peoples heads and using acid and cannibalizing them etc, so the media latched onto that big time. Anyway, you couldn't really be paying attention to the news in 1991-1992 and not know who Dahmer was, he was all over the news.

Of course, who the media chooses to make into an iconic monster is somewhat random. Ed Kemper always seemed to me to be just as horrific as any serial killer I'd ever read about but the average person would never know about him.

That, and Bundy's more deviant behavior (necrophilia, mutilation after death, posing, doing hair and make-up, revisiting the bodies over and over to bang them) wasn't as talked about as much as Dahmer's.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

That is correct.

Well, poo poo, I learned something today.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Xibanya posted:

I can't help but speculate on motive. At first I figured it had to have been an impulsive murder, I mean, murdering a journalist everyone knows is alone with you? What's the endgame for that? So I figured maybe he uh, tried to rape her? And she resisted so he killed her? But given how poo poo he is at lying I now wouldn't be super shocked if it were premeditated. Either way, :gonk:

E: the changing story makes him seem like an Ace Attorney series villain

How on earth would his poo poo lying make it more likely to be premeditated? If this was premeditated, it was the worst planned murder ever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Freudian slippers posted:

How on earth would his poo poo lying make it more likely to be premeditated? If this was premeditated, it was the worst planned murder ever.

I feel like I need to know more about this guy's business to figure out what I think the motive could have possibly been. Like, did he stand to lose a lot of money if someone had a tragic accident on one of his subs? Was he just about to launch some new prototype that was going to change the industry and this would throw a wrench into the works? It just makes no sense to go to these lengths to try to hide what really happened if she actually did just die due to being hit by a heavy door accidentally. I get that sometimes people panic and do dumb poo poo but at this point I think that truth would have come out if that's how it really went down.

Unless he really is telling the truth that he didn't actually dismember her and that her underwear came off "by accident".

joxxuh
May 20, 2011

MissEchelon posted:

How can someone scroll past this on their timeline and not like it?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MissEchelon posted:

Heard he got just the worst case of the munchies.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Killingyouguy! posted:

I read My Friend Dahmer on a yearly basis

that's not weird and you're probably very normal, and also spiritually healthy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Heard he got just the worst case of the munchies.

Smoking pot makes you brain dead.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Smoking pot makes you brain dead.

His brain twisted and projected that onto other people.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like I need to know more about this guy's business to figure out what I think the motive could have possibly been. Like, did he stand to lose a lot of money if someone had a tragic accident on one of his subs? Was he just about to launch some new prototype that was going to change the industry and this would throw a wrench into the works? It just makes no sense to go to these lengths to try to hide what really happened if she actually did just die due to being hit by a heavy door accidentally. I get that sometimes people panic and do dumb poo poo but at this point I think that truth would have come out if that's how it really went down.

Unless he really is telling the truth that he didn't actually dismember her and that her underwear came off "by accident".

Of course he killed her. Then he dismembered her, weighted her down and tossed her over board. Then he lied about it, got caught, and doubled down.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Freudian slippers posted:

Of course he killed her. Then he dismembered her, weighted her down and tossed her over board. Then he lied about it, got caught, and doubled down.

it was actually a wacky series of accidents

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who among us hasn't had a reporter accidentally smash their head in on our homemade submarine hatch then watch in bewildered exasperation as their body falls to pieces overboard while their clothes come off and you're just left there dumbfounded as to how this could all be happening to you again? I can't imagine a jury of any peers that hasn't had that happen at least once to each of them.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
According to random folks around the web, the submarine guy was always creeping on ladies and acting like hes gods gift to women, so i imagine he tried to get handsy with her, she resisted, and he killed her for it , or she was grievously injured in the struggle. We'll probably never know unless he grows a conscience and decides to spill the beans on how and why.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who among us hasn't had a reporter accidentally smash their head in on our homemade submarine hatch then watch in bewildered exasperation as their body falls to pieces overboard while their clothes come off and you're just left there dumbfounded as to how this could all be happening to you again? I can't imagine a jury of any peers that hasn't had that happen at least once to each of them.

Warning: actual footage from the hatch smashing

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbCCLQjy25A:nms:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Nah, he's absolutely obsessed with his "inventions" and he seems more upset about tainting the sub then having killed a human being. He is notoriously known to have a really bad temper and being weird around women. Like most of the people he has worked with in the past absolutely loathe him.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i hate it when the 70kg hatch on my submarine restrains me, them murders and dismembers my passenger in a cruel plot to frame me

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yall are blind to the real threat, which is the roving band of mermen who undress and butcher corpses that fall into their hideous domain.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

TenCentFang posted:

Yall are blind to the real threat, which is the roving band of mermen who undress and butcher corpses that fall into their hideous domain.

They're just trying to play pretend Skyrim, computers don't work down there.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

it was actually a wacky series of accidents

The Naked Gun 4 1/4

Shoggoth bgosh
Jun 8, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Macabre posted:

At the age of fifteen he murdered his grand parents
They put him away for only seven years
He hated his mother who worked at the collage
So he picked up young hitchhiking co ed's and cut off their heads
Edmond Kemper had a horrible temper
He cut off young girls heads and took them home to bed
He'd pick up co ed girls to give them a ride
Then bring them to the forest at gun point
Edmond then would stab them and sever off their heads
He'd take the heads home and have sex with them

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He also hosed his mom's severed head and tossed her vocal chords into the garbage disposal to shut her up once and for all. They clogged the disposal and he says he laughed because she could always find ways to screw things up for him. Then he waited a few days for the police to catch him, which never happened, so turned himself in because he realized that wanting to kill his mom was why he was killing all the other girls.

Dude is probably the scariest serial killer to me because he had so much self realization and he did some if the worst poo poo I've ever read about.

Israel Keyes is another one because he planned his poo poo out years in advance.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Well he was just an excitable boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
He's also where the legal standard of insanity comes from