Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I like to take boneless skinless chicken breasts, marinate them in a little Greek or Italian salad dressing for an hour or so, then throw them in a baking dish. Drizzle the remaining dressing over them, sprinkle liberally with your favorite seasoning (I like Costco's Kirkland Salt Free Chicken Seasoning), throw a bunch of grape or cherry tomatoes in there, and top the whole thing with crumbled feta. Maybe some sun dried tomatoes if I'm feeling fancy.

Bake uncovered at 350 until a probe reads 160-162, then pull and rest for a few minutes.

Serve with balsamic vinegar broiled asparagus and either rice or mashed potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
I was planning to make Kenji's pork chile verde today but amazon fresh decided to replace the poblano and anaheim peppers I ordered with half a pound of serranos. I think I'll probably either try to make do using some other mild red peppers I have or make carnitas instead--but what can I do with 8 oz of serranos?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Chili turned out decently enough. My pictures suck.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I noticed that the bolognese sauce I made ended up being a little too dry when I was putting it in to the pasta I had just cooked, so I poured in the leftover pasta water and reduced the sauce back down. That got me thinking...if I'm gonna be cooking pasta and then adding some of the pasta water in afterwards, why not just cut out the middleman and cook the pasta in the bolognese + some extra water? Gonna try this next time I make pasta bolognese.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Pollyanna posted:

I noticed that the bolognese sauce I made ended up being a little too dry when I was putting it in to the pasta I had just cooked, so I poured in the leftover pasta water and reduced the sauce back down. That got me thinking...if I'm gonna be cooking pasta and then adding some of the pasta water in afterwards, why not just cut out the middleman and cook the pasta in the bolognese + some extra water? Gonna try this next time I make pasta bolognese.

I do this with leftovers all the time when I'm hungover and only want to dirty one pot.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Extortionist posted:

I was planning to make Kenji's pork chile verde today but amazon fresh decided to replace the poblano and anaheim peppers I ordered with half a pound of serranos. I think I'll probably either try to make do using some other mild red peppers I have or make carnitas instead--but what can I do with 8 oz of serranos?

make salsa

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I'm going to get my wife some stand mixer attachments for making pasta. I was going to get her the set of rollers, but then saw this press with different shaped discs. Anyone have a preference or experience for one or the other?

Rollers: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KSMPRA-Roller-Cutter-Attachment/dp/B01DBGQR1K/
Press: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KSMPEXTA-Gourmet-Attachment-Interchangeable/dp/B01ENK4UV2/

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Annath posted:

I like to take boneless skinless chicken breasts, marinate them in a little Greek or Italian salad dressing for an hour or so, then throw them in a baking dish. Drizzle the remaining dressing over them, sprinkle liberally with your favorite seasoning (I like Costco's Kirkland Salt Free Chicken Seasoning), throw a bunch of grape or cherry tomatoes in there, and top the whole thing with crumbled feta. Maybe some sun dried tomatoes if I'm feeling fancy.

Bake uncovered at 350 until a probe reads 160-162, then pull and rest for a few minutes.

Serve with balsamic vinegar broiled asparagus and either rice or mashed potatoes.

Thanks, yo. I'm going to go to the store after work in a couple of days and try this afterward.

e: Also any other suggestions for easy sides besides rice to go with chicken that's friendly for prepping large batches? Would baking frozen french fries( or even cutting your own wedges and using whatever the expensive "healthier" fat oils like coconut oil to coat them while baking, be all that bad? I'm basically trying to ease myself from a 80% fast food diet into something healthier in smaller steps. Perhaps some sort of beans? Also I hate sweet potatoes FWIW. Also I'm not really going super low calorie or anything, I've recently quit drinking beer and soda and that by itself has me in a decent deficit. I'm just looking to eat healthier in general. I'm doing veggies in my protein shakes as well as eating apples/nuts for snacks at work right now, just need some help with the food prep part. Also are those V8 energy drinks with a serving of veggies bullshit? I normally drink half a white monster before gym and sometimes in the morning, but if the V8 things actually have some nutrients in them, I'll gladly make the switch.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 5, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Would baking frozen french fries( or even cutting your own wedges and using whatever the expensive "healthier" fat oils like coconut oil to coat them while baking, be all that bad? I'm basically trying to ease myself from a 80% fast food diet into something healthier in smaller steps.
The best way is to cut fries out - at least ones with oil. Grocery stores have some fairly low calorie frozen fries that you can bake and are only 120 calories per serving. Coconut oil is controversial as far as the 'health' goes and you still get a ton of calories from it.

Try baked potatoes with greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) and green onions or chili or something along those lines.

quote:

Also are those V8 energy drinks with a serving of veggies bullshit?
Yes

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

What's the best/cheapest way to buy vanilla beans in bulk? I've run out of homemade vanilla extract and want to make more without paying through the nose.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Thanks, yo. I'm going to go to the store after work in a couple of days and try this afterward.

e: Also any other suggestions for easy sides besides rice to go with chicken that's friendly for prepping large batches? Would baking frozen french fries( or even cutting your own wedges and using whatever the expensive "healthier" fat oils like coconut oil to coat them while baking, be all that bad? I'm basically trying to ease myself from a 80% fast food diet into something healthier in smaller steps. Perhaps some sort of beans? Also I hate sweet potatoes FWIW. Also I'm not really going super low calorie or anything, I've recently quit drinking beer and soda and that by itself has me in a decent deficit. I'm just looking to eat healthier in general. I'm doing veggies in my protein shakes as well as eating apples/nuts for snacks at work right now, just need some help with the food prep part. Also are those V8 energy drinks with a serving of veggies bullshit? I normally drink half a white monster before gym and sometimes in the morning, but if the V8 things actually have some nutrients in them, I'll gladly make the switch.

Glad to help! Actually I might make some myself today haha...

Note - if you use a seasoning which contains salt, be careful how much you use. You're gonna get salt from the dressing, as well as from the feta, so you don't want to go overboard. That's why I prefer to use a salt free seasoning blend.

Also it's healthier haha.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
For reasons I'd rather not get into - I have to eat at least 4 eggs every day. I usually eat them as a brunch meal around noon. I've tried making eggs in many different ways, and with many different side-dishes, but I'm not very creative with my cooking. My eggs usually taste like garbage (to me), no matter what I pair them with.

Is there a resource out there (thread, website, blog, whatever) that can help me find some tasty recipes that are all based around Eggs as the focal component?

Also, and importantly, these dishes will be made in bulk, and eaten throughout the week.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Eggs are basically never going to be good prepared in bulk for a week unless you're hard boiling them. I would suggest making egg salad if you really need to, otherwise making fried eggs, poached eggs, etc is really only good immediately after they're prepped in my experience.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dennis McClaren posted:

For reasons I'd rather not get into - I have to eat at least 4 eggs every day. I usually eat them as a brunch meal around noon. I've tried making eggs in many different ways, and with many different side-dishes, but I'm not very creative with my cooking. My eggs usually taste like garbage (to me), no matter what I pair them with.

Is there a resource out there (thread, website, blog, whatever) that can help me find some tasty recipes that are all based around Eggs as the focal component?

Also, and importantly, these dishes will be made in bulk, and eaten throughout the week.

Can you just buy pasteurized eggs and drink them?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I don't know about cooking creative side-dishes, but it wouldn't hurt to find a simple way to cook eggs and change it to the point that you love the way it tastes. Find a way to improve your egg technique. Your t-egg-nique. Eating fluffy perfectly seasoned scrambled eggs every day would be easier than designing whole dishes around eggs.

But here's a couple videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejXopUU3UoIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJW7thZxkpwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1mGDiEbni4

edit: also a poor man's shakshuka. Basically, eggs, marinara sauce, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, cream, and parmesan cheese in a baking dish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MelBq6-N6Ms

vermin fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 5, 2017

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Pollyanna posted:

I asked a similar question a while back in this thread and the conclusion was that you'll usually end up with overcooked, mushy pasta. Boiling the pasta in water separately allows you more precision with how long it's cooked.

And while I'm on the topic, I'll share a pasta tip: you don't have to get the water to a boil before adding your pasta. Start the pasta and water together and let them heat simultaneously. According to Kenji Lopez-Alt (pbuh) you'll get more starch out of the pasta and into the water that way, which means that the pasta water will give your sauce more body and cohesion when you add it. Plus, it seems to go faster than waiting for water to boil then adding the pasta. Haven't actually timed it out but it certainly seems that way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lawnie posted:

Eggs are basically never going to be good prepared in bulk for a week unless you're hard boiling them. I would suggest making egg salad if you really need to, otherwise making fried eggs, poached eggs, etc is really only good immediately after they're prepped in my experience.

You can poach eggs in the shells by sous vide and put them back / store them in the fridge. I've used them for up to 10 days or so after poaching with no issues or spoilage.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Laminator posted:

I'm going to get my wife some stand mixer attachments for making pasta. I was going to get her the set of rollers, but then saw this press with different shaped discs. Anyone have a preference or experience for one or the other?

Rollers: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KSMPRA-Roller-Cutter-Attachment/dp/B01DBGQR1K/
Press: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KSMPEXTA-Gourmet-Attachment-Interchangeable/dp/B01ENK4UV2/

I've used the roller before and it works fine. Not used the extruder attachment, but it looks like you've taken the meat grinder attachment and turned it upside-down. If it's like other similar attachments, it's probably a pain to clean.

Also FWIW, the rollers are made from metal and are pretty durable where as the extruder seems like it is plastic.

It really comes down to what kind of pasta do you want to make? Sheets, fettuccine and spaghetti, or Macaroni, rigatoni and zitti?

Personally, if I'm going to make homemade pasta, it's going to be sheet style.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 5, 2017

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Lawnie posted:

I fry them in coconut oil and make omelettes. I make them on Sunday, and they still taste fine out of the fridge on Friday. I just keep them in an air tight rubbermaid. The dish just isn't exciting at all though.

Bob Morales posted:

I would rather not, but I could technically yeah. Grosses me out though.

vermin posted:

I don't know about cooking creative side-dishes, but it wouldn't hurt to find a simple way to cook eggs and change it to the point that you love the way it tastes. Find a way to improve your egg technique. Your t-egg-nique. Eating fluffy perfectly seasoned scrambled eggs every day would be easier than designing whole dishes around eggs.

But here's a couple videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejXopUU3UoIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJW7thZxkpwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1mGDiEbni4

edit: also a poor man's shakshuka. Basically, eggs, marinara sauce, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, cream, and parmesan cheese in a baking dish

I think you're right, and maybe it has to do with my technique. I'm going to check all of these out, thanks so much!

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 5, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I had a kitchen smaller than that and I just used a folding dishrack and put it away in the morning after putting the dishes away or towel dry everything and put it away.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejXopUU3UoI

Gyeran Pang! or whatever haha. Wow this is exactly what I was looking for. Going to treat myself to these at least once. Nice

vermin posted:

Also going to give this a shot with Alfredo instead of marinara. Should keep really well in the fridge for re-heating. Awesome suggestions, thanks!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Those eggs were ridiculously orange :O

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I'm crockpotting a beef stew tomorrow. My plan is to get everything happy and brown, and have the veggies ready for the bf to toss in at the appointed time while I'm at work. I decided to use a mix of chuck roast and bone in beef short ribs, is there anything I need to know regarding differences in cooking times? I've never cooked short ribs before, but I'm assuming brown them and toss them in, but is this going to be a thing where the size of the meaty chunks makes a difference? Should I put them in an hour before the chuck?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It depends exactly how long, but if it's like 8 hours it'll be more than enough either way. You should be aware, though, that as all the fat renders out it'll go right into the stew, and that's a whole lot of grease. You might want to fridge it overnight, pull off the fat the next day, and eat it then.

e: also, depends on how picky you are, but I like my carrots and celery pretty firm. I throw a couple into the stew in the beginning for flavor, but almost all of them I withhold until the stew is done. My celery goes in raw (will be slightly cooked by the heat of the stew and by reheating), and I just briefly steam the carrots before throwing them in.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 6, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Egg salad, deviled eggs, or quiche. Those are my only real go-tos for eggs that can be made up a little in advance, and even then it's not a -lot- in advance. Quiche freezes fine, but that's about it.

Otherwise, though, just take five minutes out of your day, scramble some eggs, and jam them in your pie hole. Toss some salsa on top when it gets boring.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Egg salad, deviled eggs, or quiche. Those are my only real go-tos for eggs that can be made up a little in advance, and even then it's not a -lot- in advance. Quiche freezes fine, but that's about it.

Otherwise, though, just take five minutes out of your day, scramble some eggs, and jam them in your pie hole. Toss some salsa on top when it gets boring.

I think you could probably crack a dozen eggs into a pitcher to save some time on your scrambles.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That sounds like it'd go bad pretty quickly, even in the fridge.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hard boiled is probably the only way that won't suck

or breakfast burritos but 4 eggs is a lot for a single burrito

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Not if you buy those gigantic restaurant-sized tortillas.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
How did Gaston eat his eggs?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

or breakfast burritos but 4 eggs is a lot for a single burrito
It's a good amount for 2 tacos though

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

It's a good amount for 2 tacos though

yes but i only suggested breakfast burritos because they freeze pretty easy

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Make the burrito and freeze it? Will it re-heat without loving up the tortilla?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah, it works pretty well. It's not quite as good as if you make them fresh but your eggs will probably have a bit of moisture still in them when you freeze them that will evaporate out while you reheat them.

I make a batch of 10 burritos every 2 weeks for my breakfasts since i get up at 430 for work

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Very cool, going to try that out as well. Thanks.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
How long should I microwave a potato pancake for?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Does advocaat count? :getin:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dennis McClaren posted:

Very cool, going to try that out as well. Thanks.

throw some extra crispy tater tots in with some bacon and green onion slices too

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah I forgot to ask what your recipe for them was. That sounds tasty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
We're having our son's birthday party at a nearby park (10-min walk, 2 min drive). We're making hotdogs for the kids. We don't have a portable BBQ, so I was planning of boiling them at home and bringing the pot with the hotdogs (still in the hot water) to the park. How long could the hotdogs stay in the hot water in the park before they get eaten?

wormil posted:

I think it's awesome your kids will eat peppers for lunch.
He will eat peppers for lunch, but not for his birthday party!