Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

I'm savescumming anyway so I figure I might as well have fun and gently caress around with it. I take random players from small leagues and pump up their key attributes and see what happens.

I remember some FM person did an experiment like this once to see how a bunch of min-maxed players' careers would go after sticking them in some created club in like the sixth-tier and they found that despite its crop of amazing youngsters the club itself never really performed that well because all the players got signed to random other ones after like one season, except for the players who he had given 20 loyalty, who stayed at that club for their entire careers despite it being in like the fourth tier of English football the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
FM17 is 80% off today on Steam - just $10

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

7 (Seven) English Pounds.

Picked it up earlier after skipping 2016. What's new apart from the goofy manager designer?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
it's a well polished game

you can ride 3 at the back to victory, which is actually pretty reflective of real life these days

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
so like when you play 3 ATB what does that look like?

Is the a RCB/CB/LCB or is it two CBs and a sweeper or something, or like 2 fullbacks and a single centerback

where can i read about how 3ATB functions

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A true 343 almost always uses three center backs. Both in the game and in real life they need to be quicker than average and decent on the ball, the enormous battlewagon types that can't pass aren't great fits for the system.

The other thing you should usually look for are wingers who can offer some defensive help. Your center backs are always going to be under pressure from the outside, so having a guy who can track back some helps.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
God drat literally bought 17 like a week ago

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Is 17 actually any good? I feel like a lot of people have been really down on FM lately for never fixing its huge problems or improving at all.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

grvm posted:

God drat literally bought 17 like a week ago

How many hours have you put into it? If it's less than 2 and you got it less than 2 weeks ago, you can get a refund on steam.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Is 17 actually any good? I feel like a lot of people have been really down on FM lately for never fixing its huge problems or improving at all.

The match engine is significantly better than 16.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Humbaba posted:

The match engine is significantly better than 16.

Well, that's $10 down the drain then

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

ShootaBoy posted:

How many hours have you put into it? If it's less than 2 and you got it less than 2 weeks ago, you can get a refund on steam.

I keep it open and play little bits as I go around, so like a hundred. Its done and I paid it and It probably won't kill me so I'm just gonna deal with it. Thanks for that info tho, that's good to know.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Man, the auto-continue function owns (Preferences > Interface > Continue Game Timeout > 5 secs). Why haven't I been using this more?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mandalay posted:

Man, the auto-continue function owns (Preferences > Interface > Continue Game Timeout > 5 secs). Why haven't I been using this more?

It made realize that I really don't care for about 99% of the fluff. Does anyone actually read all the stupid news items and "social media" poo poo?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Mandalay posted:

This is a thing? When did this happen? I have to try this out ASAP.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The best formation is 5-3-2 with 3 CBs and attacking wing backs, because a glass ceiling develops post-Brexit with big clubs hoarding any decent AM who can get a work permit until it's hopeless trying to compete. Ligue 1 is full of ball-playing defenders who rack up caps for small African nations and the AI hates wing backs to the point of dumping even world class prospects into the reserves, so just fill your team with those and win every game 1 - 0.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just play everyone out of position in whatever formation you like it doesn't matter.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sassassin posted:

Just play everyone out of position in whatever formation you like it doesn't matter.
P....pep?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The best full/wingbacks in-engine are two-footed technical dribblers who can finish so if you only look at players who are natural in those positions you're handicapping yourself.

Training them to play there afterwards can also really mess up those attributes due to changes in weighting so don't bother.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

after playing FM17 for a while I think my only real complaint is how cup competitions are weighted towards forcing you to play your rivals, it's not uncommon for me to play the same rival team 3 games in a row.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Jason Sextro posted:

after playing FM17 for a while I think my only real complaint is how cup competitions are weighted towards forcing you to play your rivals, it's not uncommon for me to play the same rival team 3 games in a row.

Game has been like that forever.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Now my maths isn't exactly great but I see a slight problem here....

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Ferrosol posted:

Your seats are included in the overall attendance.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
After the end of my last season, my second-best center back requested a transfer because he wanted a new challenge. Fine, I’ve got kids ready to step up, let’s do this. Offer to clubs, accept bids from Madrid and Inter, and then he decides he wants to stay because he’s happy playing for me.

Now it’s the day after the transfer window closed and he just requested a transfer because of my broken promise to sell him.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I'd love a technical wing back but I don't think they'd work in my lovely 8-behind-the-ball strategy. My board give me no money and my entire system is based around absorbing constant attacks and hitting on the break so everything else takes a back seat to being able to run like gently caress for ninety minutes.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Wirth1000 posted:

It made realize that I really don't care for about 99% of the fluff. Does anyone actually read all the stupid news items and "social media" poo poo?

This feature is a lifesaver but it's so screwy some times, you can be doing stuff and the game thinks 'nah' and then moves the screen on for you.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Ferrosol posted:

It's 2,400 total, 400 of which will be away fans.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Is there a way either in-game or in FM Genie to search for every player who ever played for my club? I've had a world-class GK for 12 years and rotate through young backups, only for them to be signed away by others in my division. I want to be able to search for these former GK damnit.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You can search for home grown at your club in the scouting screen. If they're youth products then it should show up.

Alternatively, you could scour your transfer history.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
This is fine.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I'm the 6.5 rating for their keeper

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Chickpea Roar posted:

This is fine.

Yeeesh. I had a match the other day where I had three goals disallowed and hit the woodwork five loving times. Lost on a late own goal...they didn’t have a single shot on target.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Chickpea Roar posted:

This is fine.

That action zone graphic.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobby Digital posted:

Yeeesh. I had a match the other day where I had three goals disallowed and hit the woodwork five loving times. Lost on a late own goal...they didn’t have a single shot on target.

I don't know how many hours I've lost to ragequits when the game pulls bullshit like this but it must be into three figures.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Beat the league leaders 3-0

Scrappy 2-2 away at promotion chasers.

Team 5 points adrift at the bottom of the league come to town. Get swatted aside 2-0 with them creating half a dozen clear cut chances from flowing one-touch passing moves.

Every loving time.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Chickpea Roar posted:

This is fine.

By and large I quite enjoy FM17 because I've been able to make a wide variety of tactics work, but I've had way more of those kinds of games than in any other version of FM so far.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I have Blackpool back in the Premier League and competing for a Champion's League place. Manchester United and Arsenal still crush me away, but I can hold my own against the other top clubs. What really gets me down, though, is when relegation fodder comes to Bloomfield Road. We inevitably lose 0-1 with 20+ shots to 3. It's not as bad as 45 shots to 1 and a draw, but it's consistently frustrating.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Humbaba posted:

I have Blackpool back in the Premier League and competing for a Champion's League place. Manchester United and Arsenal still crush me away, but I can hold my own against the other top clubs. What really gets me down, though, is when relegation fodder comes to Bloomfield Road. We inevitably lose 0-1 with 20+ shots to 3. It's not as bad as 45 shots to 1 and a draw, but it's consistently frustrating.

It's your tactics mate

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
So I had to face another bunch of strugglers coming to town and having lost faith in my tactic, I picked a tactic almost entirely left to RNG and ended up with a 3-4-2-1, counter, very rigid, shortish passing, sitting back in defence and with very little creative freedom. We were 3-0 up in twenty minutes and won 4-1 having played half an hour with ten men thanks to an injury seconds after using my last sub.

I'm glad we won and all that but on this evidence, it looks like after 15 years playing this game I'm a worse manager than random chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Walton Simons posted:

I'm glad we won and all that but on this evidence, it looks like after 15 years playing this game I'm a worse manager than random chance.

This checks out