Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

When people here discuss portable 2-player games, I never see Fungi/Morels mentioned. It looks pretty solid, and since it's one of the very few games that thematically interests my partner, I'm hoping it's not broken or boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

CaptainRightful posted:

When people here discuss portable 2-player games, I never see Fungi/Morels mentioned. It looks pretty solid, and since it's one of the very few games that thematically interests my partner, I'm hoping it's not broken or boring.
It's not broken, all card types have their place and while it's not a deeply strategic game there are different paths to victory.
You might find it boring, though. It's definitely a slower paced (although not overly long), timekiller kind of game, with a fair amount of upkeep each turn since you have to move the cards around a lot.
I generally don't recommend Fungi a lot because I think it's outclassed by Jaipur in its niche, but it's a solid game if you're looking for something to play that won't require all your attention.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Wizard Styles posted:

It's not broken, all card types have their place and while it's not a deeply strategic game there are different paths to victory.
You might find it boring, though. It's definitely a slower paced (although not overly long), timekiller kind of game, with a fair amount of upkeep each turn since you have to move the cards around a lot.
I generally don't recommend Fungi a lot because I think it's outclassed by Jaipur in its niche, but it's a solid game if you're looking for something to play that won't require all your attention.

There is a setup variant that plays the same but does away with all the upkeep. Rules are included in the new edition.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just pre-ordered Altiplano, Reiner Stockhausen's follow up to Orleans. It uses a similar bag building system, combined with an action rondel and a bit of pick-up and deliver. I'm sure I could get it on the day at Spiel, but it'll be 9 Euro more and it looks strong enough to justify the risk.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Got secrets to the table with 6 players after the D&D game. Everyone thought it was good or great - I was kind of surprised given some of the mixed reviews around.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I bought Lazer Ryderz at PAX over the weekend and had a pretty good time with it. I got kinda interested in it when I saw the box and the glossy style of it, got excited when I saw the game was basically Tron light cycles, and was finally sold when it was pointed out that the box is a VHS box set. So I bought it and even got it signed, and it's not the deepest game I've ever played but it's extremely stylish and pretty fun so I regret nothing.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
:siren:Fireball Island is getting a reboot:siren:
http://restorationgames.com/fireball-island/

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Keep me posted if they get around to other childhood classics like...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indolent Bastard posted:

I heard legends about this game. And frankly, I don't know why it doesn't exist yet with wooden meeples/catapults and rubber bands when flick em up and Rampage were well-received.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Uh this is called Weapons and Warriors what the heck

Owned it as a kid, pretty fun

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does Super Dungeon Explore's arcade mode stay as drawn out and clunky as it looks in the demo videos from new players on YouTube?

I like the theme SDE and Arcadia Quest, but it sounds like AQ needs a lot of players to be fun and SDE takes too long. It also sounds like Ninja Division isn't the best company...

Basically, I'll looking for a game that feels like Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre without having to fire up an emulator.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

That game was great, where by "game" I mean "thin veneer of rules over activity kids do with rubber bands anyway."

It would also make a great app/tablet game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

xbows and catapults was so awesome.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Did you get extra points for hitting your little brother in the eye?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Bonus points for ER visits

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Wake me up when they remake Omega Virus.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Does Super Dungeon Explore's arcade mode stay as drawn out and clunky as it looks in the demo videos from new players on YouTube?

I like the theme SDE and Arcadia Quest, but it sounds like AQ needs a lot of players to be fun and SDE takes too long. It also sounds like Ninja Division isn't the best company...

Basically, I'll looking for a game that feels like Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre without having to fire up an emulator.

SDE Arcade mode is one of the worst gaming experiences I have ever had. It's possibly even more clunky and less interesting than the videos suggest.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Exactly that happened at least once.

I forget how we scored it. He and I mostly used the crossbows, the catapults were really inaccurate.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Holy poo poo I had this game

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PerniciousKnid posted:

Wake me up when they remake Omega Virus.

I will take my copy to the grave.

If they remake Mall Madness will it be about urban exploration instead of shopping?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

If they remake Mall Madness will it be about urban exploration instead of shopping?

2018 gritty reboot. Combine Mall Madness with Omega Virus, make it about an STD pandemic.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
How do people feel about the Lord's of Waterdeep app while it's on sale. It's not the best game in-person, but there's not a ton of great board game Android phone apps (the only one I have that I really like is Splendor).

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Good Android board game apps has, at minimum:

Onirim
Race for the Galaxy
Splendor
Paperback
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Lanterns

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Andarel posted:

Onirim
Race for the Galaxy
Splendor
Paperback
Lanterns

Which of those have online matchmaking?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rebrand with Shadowrun, make it about locating powerful totems from pre-Awakening times.

Dream Phone gritty reboot - make it about recruiting the key deniable asset you need to pull off your heist.

Andarel posted:

Onirim
Race for the Galaxy
Splendor
Paperback
Lanterns

I think this list is missing Galaxy Trucker.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Terra Mystica is also on Android now.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Thanks for telling me about the Paperback app.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Hey guys I'm selling a bunch of games over in the trading thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831413

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Andarel posted:

Onirim
Race for the Galaxy
Splendor
Paperback
Lanterns

Twilight Struggle
Jaipur
Galaxy Trucker
Tigris & Euphrates (no online multiplayer)
Pandemic

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I've posted a list of the remaining games from my friends collection in the trading thread. Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831413&pagenumber=1#post476134749

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/990619951/consentacle-a-card-game-of-human-alien-intimacy?ref=category_recommended

Consentacle: A Card Game of Human-Alien Intimacy

Consentacle is a game where you and a partner help a tentacled alien and a curious human have a mutually satisfying romantic encounter.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/990619951/consentacle-a-card-game-of-human-alien-intimacy?ref=category_recommended

Consentacle: A Card Game of Human-Alien Intimacy

Consentacle is a game where you and a partner help a tentacled alien and a curious human have a mutually satisfying romantic encounter.

By Naomi Clark, a professor at the NYU game center. She's probably best known hereabouts as a contributing writer for Monsterhearts 2.

She designed the game for an art show back in 2014 as a direct response to the travesty that was Tentacle Bento, and as an indirect response to the general lovely portrayal of sex in games as a whole.

So this game has a pedigree.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh. NICE then.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Still allowed to be creeped out by it, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crackbone posted:

Still allowed to be creeped out by it, right?

creeped out AND turned on. Best of both worlds!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Playing codenames right now with someone who thinks it's "debatable" whether HAWK, JELLYFISH, PHOENIX are "animals"

F me

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Mister Sinewave posted:

Playing codenames right now with someone who thinks it's "debatable" whether HAWK, JELLYFISH, PHOENIX are "animals"

F me

I'd raise an eyebrow at 'phoenix' but it'd still be my last pick.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Mister Sinewave posted:

F me

People who are really competitive with that game are the reason I don't play it. The first time I played was with a group containing a few people that were trying to exploit rules loopholes and took it way too seriously. Turned me off the game pretty much immediately.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You'd feel pretty comfortable considering a mythological creature an "animal" if you could see the rest of the board, trust me.

No idea what's debatable about HAWK and JELLYFISH being animals no matter how picky you want to get about nomenclature.

E: I asked. She thought the clue was "mammals"

So to clarify what's "debatable" is whether those are mammals apparently.

I can't make this up :goleft:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mister Sinewave posted:

You'd feel pretty comfortable considering a mythological creature an "animal" if you could see the rest of the board, trust me.

No idea what's debatable about HAWK and JELLYFISH being animals no matter how picky you want to get about nomenclature.

E: I asked. She thought the clue was "mammals"

So to clarify what's "debatable" is whether those are mammals apparently.

I can't make this up :goleft:

Hold on, is there some rule about that clue being illegal or something? Or was she just being obstinate about your clue not being perfect for her?

Funzo posted:

People who are really competitive with that game are the reason I don't play it. The first time I played was with a group containing a few people that were trying to exploit rules loopholes and took it way too seriously. Turned me off the game pretty much immediately.

I need an example of rules loopholes for laffs.