Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

What's the general view of the quality of the riser cables Silverstone uses in the Raven cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SourKraut posted:

What's the general view of the quality of the riser cables Silverstone uses in the Raven cases?

My RVZ01 uses a 90-degree PCB-type adapter. It's fine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Paul MaudDib posted:

My RVZ01 uses a 90-degree PCB-type adapter. It's fine.

Same. No problems here, same case, same riser. I think the risers are just so standardized these days, it's not worht worrying about. Then again I've only been dealing with them for 3 years now.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Has anyone here ever ordered from superbiiz? They seem to be the only one that has the AsRock Ryzen ITX board in stock at the moment but the 90s style website is very offputting.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

horchata posted:

Has anyone here ever ordered from superbiiz? They seem to be the only one that has the AsRock Ryzen ITX board in stock at the moment but the 90s style website is very offputting.

They're legit. Yes, it's a weird site.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Thanks, went ahead and purchased the X370 ITX mobo on superbiiz and the R7 1700 off of amazon since it was on sale. My ncase m1 wont come until the end of July so I'm not really concerned with shipping times on superbiiz anyways.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

horchata posted:

SuperBiiz also sells on eBay under various names, if you see ASRock ITX boards new on eBay at or under MSRP and shipping from California it is almost always them.

I've gotten maybe 6 motherboards from them and never a problem except slow-rear end ground shipping to Boston.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Consider the following: 5775C mITX build (Iris Pro 6200)in a case too small for dGPU for any mITX systems, vs Skull Canyon NUC (Iris Pro 580). Or any other heavy-hitting small-enclosure builds (ie less than RVZ02 dimensions).

(in a case too small for dGPU - potentially with Thunderbolt to a eGPU enclosure)

Sadly neither are Kaby Lake and thus neither can do Netflix's new DRM. I guess I could also do a Kaby Lake K-series in a tight case and an external GPU. It's more flexible in terms of form factor/positioning but less performant than a single-case build.

gently caress, I chickened out of the DAN kickstarter and now I'm regretting it. :smith:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 13, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Why not mini-STX?

EDIT: Question answered, there are no LGA 1150 mini-STX mobos. Would be a good option if you want to use a Kaby Lake CPU though.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 13, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

Why not mini-STX?

EDIT: Question answered, there are no LGA 1150 mini-STX mobos

You know what there is though... thin ITX. You can do some cute builds in this factor, it'd just be a matter of ensuring sufficient cooling. Do any of those specialty whole-body passive case people have something for this?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 13, 2017

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with a Node 202 and whether I will need additional case fans and how to position them?

If I've got this GPU (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1060IXOC-6GD) and this CPU cooler (http://noctua.at/en/nh-l9i) do I want the case fans to be intake or exhaust?

I've never built in this form factor so not sure how the airflow should go. My room will get quite warm in the summertime (I'm in Sydney).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
And now I'm looking at HDPLEX passive case builds :jeb:

How about this, a H5 (95W) with a 7700K or 6800K or a 1700 mITX/mATX board, and on the GPU bracket (hopefully this is also another 95W since it heatpipes to the opposite side? :ohdear:) I can throw my 1080 in there and drop it to like -50% power limit :v:

I can still get the 6800K at not-insane prices, thanks Microcenter. Then I just need some Asrock black magic :jeb:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 13, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Paul MaudDib posted:

How about this, a H5 (95W) with a 7700K or 6800K or a 1700 mITX/mATX board, and on the GPU bracket (hopefully this is also another 95W since it heatpipes to the opposite side? :ohdear:) I can throw my 1080 in there and drop it to like -50% power limit :v:

I can still get the 6800K at not-insane prices, thanks Microcenter. Then I just need some Asrock black magic :jeb:

A passive build with a 6800k and a 1080? You absolute madman.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fruit Chewy posted:

A passive build with a 6800k and a 1080? You absolute madman.

My 5820K pulls 90W during Handbrake, at 4.13 GHz all-core. The H5 has a 95W envelope.

With an underclock like that It'll perform like a 1070 but it'll run like a 1060 :jeb:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Ran a test using Witcher 3 in Novigrad and I'm actually satisfied with the 1440p framerate (ultra except for hairworks ultra, 4x, geralt only) at -50% power on the 1080 (90W). Ran at (edit: 30-40% auto fan) on my FE with dried-out paste, and it didn't dip below 57 fps or break over 65C (temps were coming down to 60C at the end). GPU-z

Thing will upload+process in 1440p60 eventually.

edit: however that case is not compatible with 2011-3 so it's either Kaby or Ryzen I guess.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 13, 2017

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

I love that they have options for Linear power supplies. That is absolutely insane and would add a lot of heat & wasted energy.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

theperminator posted:

I love that they have options for Linear power supplies. That is absolutely insane and would add a lot of heat & wasted energy.

I know, right, hundreds of watts of useless heat dumped out just because, definitely what I want to be passively cooled :v:

(it probably makes sense in configurations where you want a really clean switching-noise-free supply for your amp but also want to power a PC from the same supply, and you want everything to be silent)

Last night I discovered the Akasa Galactico for the Skull Canyon NUCs and while it's a little on the wide side I'm actually seriously interested. The Skull Canyon NUC is the smallest PC you can get with Thunderbolt and decent graphics, and that would take it full passive :staredog:

My fiance and I both really like the styling (her: "looks like something from BSG" me: "no that's obviously a TIE bomber :v:") so the size may be worth putting up with...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 14, 2017

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
1.1 lbs PC, 10 lbs case. This is the fate of SFF computer owners concerned about noise.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Built my ncase x370 PC today. This took an hour longer than I wanted to since I had to keep looking at a picture reference as to what all the different screws do. Also the SF 600 power supply had the stiffest cables I've ever dealt with.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

horchata posted:

Built my ncase x370 PC today. This took an hour longer than I wanted to since I had to keep looking at a picture reference as to what all the different screws do. Also the SF 600 power supply had the stiffest cables I've ever dealt with.

Yeah the total lack of accompanying documentation for the 2 pound bag of screws was pretty neat. Apparently if you split apart the individual wires of the huge bonded ribbons those cables are more manageable but I just angrily wrangled them instead.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Fruit Chewy posted:

Yeah the total lack of accompanying documentation for the 2 pound bag of screws was pretty neat. Apparently if you split apart the individual wires of the huge bonded ribbons those cables are more manageable but I just angrily wrangled them instead.

There's a picture guide on their website of what each screw type is used for.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Fists Up posted:

Does anyone have any experience with a Node 202 and whether I will need additional case fans and how to position them?

If I've got this GPU (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1060IXOC-6GD) and this CPU cooler (http://noctua.at/en/nh-l9i) do I want the case fans to be intake or exhaust?

I've never built in this form factor so not sure how the airflow should go. My room will get quite warm in the summertime (I'm in Sydney).

I had the MSI Twin Frozr 970 in mine. I have a single fan mounted undernrmeath the GPU because I only had one low profile fan spare at the time and a full width one wouldn't fit alongside the low profile. It's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prolimatech-Ultra-Sleek-Vortex-12/dp/B00G9WDYEC

Pretty nice fan and very slim.

I've got no GPU in there at the moment. I'm waiting on a MSI 1070 from Amazon. It's one of those cheap deals that requires waiting.

I figure the 1070 will run everything better than the 970 but with reduced temperature overheads. The Node 202 gets very warm throughout, as you can imagine for it's size.

Take care building in it. Set aside at least an extra hour to what a build would normally demand. It's tricky and you should take your time. I snapped a USB3 connector pin on my motherboard because I was in a hurry.

When I get the 1070 in I might buy another Prolima fan for it. I also had to remove the little plastic GPU stand that comes with the case in order to fit the fan in. I'm planning to improvise with some slim sheets of plastic or lego to prevent GPU sag.

It's a good looking case for all the headache building in it.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
My Ensourced cables came in the mail today so I can say I'm officially done with my overpriced/overkill ncase build. The cables definitely helped with the overall cleanliness of the internals but I doubt it does much with the airflow.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fwvK9W

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Mind sharing the lengths? I have the same PSU/GPU and the z170 asrock which seems like the same layout.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I bought both the 24 pin and 8 pin cpu shorty cables

24 pin extension was 20cm long with a clip outside orientation (would change to clip inside tbh)

cpu extension was 30cm long clip outside orientation

pcie cables were both 20cm (not extensions)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i delidded my CPU because it was the cheapest surefire fix for overheating and while it's still running hot, it hasn't hit 90C since. i recommend it for everyone.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are micro-ATX sized cases worth looking at, or should I stick to mini-ITX? I want to build a small form factor PC that can still carry its weight gaming/streaming, and I've been having issues putting a build together that doesn't require some weird adapter of some sort that PC Picker keeps yelling at me about.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

Are micro-ATX sized cases worth looking at, or should I stick to mini-ITX? I want to build a small form factor PC that can still carry its weight gaming/streaming, and I've been having issues putting a build together that doesn't require some weird adapter of some sort that PC Picker keeps yelling at me about.

There's nothing a Micro-ATX can do that a Mini-ITX can't, except for SLI which sucks these days. You can for example have a Mini-ITX with dual M.2 drives in raid, 32GB of RAM, etc.

If you wanna use a big cooler, biggish GPU, full size power supply, and some platter drives, you can get a Thermaltake Core V1 and have roughly a cubic foot case for around $50:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811133282

If you wanna go :homebrew: you can get an NFC S4 Mini and have something the size of a PS4, with a mini 1080ti in it.

What is the weird adapter PC Picker is talking about? I've never heard of such a thing.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I set up a PC with a Silverstone FTZ01 case a while back (which is more of a mini-itx sized tower instead of a cube) with a standard sized 1080ti with an open-air cooler, a 7700k CPU, and 3.5" hard disk. The only issue I had with fitting anything was finding a decent radiator for overclocking the CPU since there was only around 80 mm of clearance. Other than that cooling isn't an issue using since it has separate compartments for the CPU and GPU and spaces for mounting case fans/radiators over both.

There are also small cube cases like the Ncase M1; I was originally going to go with one of those but I couldn't figure out if using a 3.5" drive would interfere with anything when I was planning out my system.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zero VGS posted:

There's nothing a Micro-ATX can do that a Mini-ITX can't, except for SLI which sucks these days. You can for example have a Mini-ITX with dual M.2 drives in raid, 32GB of RAM, etc.

If you wanna use a big cooler, biggish GPU, full size power supply, and some platter drives, you can get a Thermaltake Core V1 and have roughly a cubic foot case for around $50:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811133282

If you wanna go :homebrew: you can get an NFC S4 Mini and have something the size of a PS4, with a mini 1080ti in it.

What is the weird adapter PC Picker is talking about? I've never heard of such a thing.

:shrug: That's what it tells me. I'm also hearing that for the Ryzen 5 1600 I don't actually need an aftermarket cooler and the one it comes with is fine if I'm not overclocking it (no plans to tbqh). So maybe I don't need that C7.

Here's my parts list, which I'm working on making cheaper:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.28 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($113.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($157.80 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($137.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - G246HLAbd 24.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech - K270 Wireless Standard Keyboard ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - M705 Wireless Laser Mouse ($19.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1184.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-06 07:38 EDT-0400

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nG98TW/asrock-ab350-gaming-itxac-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-ab350-gaming-itxac

i would get this mobo instead

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any particular reason why? I don't have a very good sense of what's better or worse.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gigabyte boards currently have issues with feeding too many volts to CPUs

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
My Zaber Sentry case finally showed up.

I'll be transplanting my PC into it hopefully tonight.

Excited to finally get my PC in this thing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gotcha. Any reason to go for the AB350 over the X370, or just a price concern?

Here's an updated parts list, assuming I don't need that aftermarket cooler. Is the cooler a necessity for an SFF, or can I safely skip it?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.28 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($137.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - G246HLAbd 24.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech - K270 Wireless Standard Keyboard ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - M705 Wireless Laser Mouse ($19.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1155.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-06 09:43 EDT-0400

Price is inflated by like ~$275 cuz I need a monitor and a Windows license, but it works out to about $880 for the core of it. Is there anywhere else I can shave off some :10bux:?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 6, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If the case has enough room for the stock cooler, you don't need an aftermarket one for your Ryzen. The case allows for CPU coolers of up to 140 mm height, I don't know how large the boxed AMD cooler is, though.

The X370 chipset is more expensive, while the additional stuff you get over B350 mostly isn't used on mini-ITX boards anyway, like more PCI-e slots that actually use the additional lanes or SLI support. I think it also has fewer native USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, not sure how much that affects you or whether they make up for it with third party controllers on the mainboard. Here's a review that covers both mainboards in one article: https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/motherboards/fatal1ty-asrocks-x370-ab350-gaming-itxac-motherboards-reviewed

You can save some money by getting a cheap Windows 7 key off SA-mart (eg.), those can still be upgraded to Windows 10, saving you $100+.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

orcane posted:

If the case has enough room for the stock cooler, you don't need an aftermarket one for your Ryzen. The case allows for CPU coolers of up to 140 mm height, I don't know how large the boxed AMD cooler is, though.

The X370 chipset is more expensive, while the additional stuff you get over B350 mostly isn't used on mini-ITX boards anyway, like more PCI-e slots that actually use the additional lanes or SLI support. I think it also has fewer native USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, not sure how much that affects you or whether they make up for it with third party controllers on the mainboard. Here's a review that covers both mainboards in one article: https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/motherboards/fatal1ty-asrocks-x370-ab350-gaming-itxac-motherboards-reviewed

You can save some money by getting a cheap Windows 7 key off SA-mart (eg.), those can still be upgraded to Windows 10, saving you $100+.

Alright, at the very least, I can get an aftermarket cooler later if I need it.

I liked Windows 7, if I can upgrade from it I can deal with it. EDIT: wait, poo poo, I don't have any more space in that build for an optical drive so I can't install Windows :negative:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you plan to end up on 10 you can just put the Windows 7 key into the 10 installer and not have to go through 7 at all.

If you want to install 7 for some reason, you can do it without a USB2 port or an optical drive if you have a spare SATA drive with an external enclosure/adapter. Connect the spare to a working machine and write the installer to it as if it were a flash drive using something like Rufus. Then, attach it to the new machine over internal SATA at the same time as your install destination and boot off of the spare to get your installer.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eletriarnation posted:

If you plan to end up on 10 you can just put the Windows 7 key into the 10 installer and not have to go through 7 at all.

If you want to install 7 for some reason, you can do it without a USB2 port or an optical drive if you have a spare SATA drive with an external enclosure/adapter. Connect the spare to a working machine and write the installer to it as if it were a flash drive using something like Rufus. Then, attach it to the new machine over internal SATA at the same time as your install destination and boot off of the spare to get your installer.

Oh, sweet. I can do that instead, then. I'll figure something out.

Updated my build a little - I have an R7 1700 now with DDR-3200 RAM. Lowered the PSU to 600w, but I also removed the 2x80mm fans - would those two fans be good to have, or could I go without?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($117.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($15.49 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer - G246HLAbd 24.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech - K270 Wireless Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - M705 Wireless Laser Mouse
Total: $887.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-06 11:00 EDT-0400

Left off Windows 10 for now. I'm also wondering if I can't just hook up the PC to my TV instead and save having to buy a monitor. Then again, that might be too much of a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Using an HDTV as your main monitor works great, I've done it for years. Not sure why it would be a pain in the rear end other than the obvious constraint that they have to be physically close enough for a HDMI cable.

I think the V1 probably doesn't need the rear fans with only a 75W GPU and a good front fan; it's basically a straight shot through the case and the front fan is almost the entire area of the front panel. If you are going to get rear fans I'd make sure you either can slow them down with the motherboard headers or get some low-voltage adapters, since 80mm fans can be pretty annoying at full speed.