Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's one of those things where it probably immediately recalls stories like this, and the difference between "turn it on/off when you're doing your test" and "we own the laptop so we're just gonna flip that poo poo on whenever we like".

Agreed. Because there is ALWAYS someone to gently caress it up for everyone else.

I just don't like the idea of having to install unknown software from somewhere in order to pursue an online education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Good on you if you are ok with installing spyware on your pc for random testing. I now know what my online security exam would look like.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

SEKCobra posted:

Good on you if you are ok with installing spyware on your VM for random testing. I now know what my online security exam would look like.

FTFY

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the shortest evaluation of a security firm would be to invite them in to pitch and slide them a USB stick with some 'useful company information' on. If they plug it in then they lose.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Joke's on you, that was the freshly wiped save for the preso burner laptop they took across the border anyway.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm drawing a blank here... what's the technical term for the name that appears alongside an email address?

People are sending email as our CEO's name, the email address appears as: "CeoFirstName CeoLastName <admin@NotOurDomain.com>" asking for payments, and I want to create a mail flow rule that'll redirect these to me if they are from outside the organization and that name matches. The sender email itself keeps changing.

I have options for:

"address includes any of these words"
"address matches any of these text patterns"
"has specific properties including any of these words"
"has specific properties matching any of these text patterns"

Like, how am I supposed to know the difference between those four options?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If I understand right, the technical term is "Display Name"
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://markgossa.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/spoofed-email-display-name-exchange-2016.html

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

I'm drawing a blank here... what's the technical term for the name that appears alongside an email address?

People are sending email as our CEO's name, the email address appears as: "CeoFirstName CeoLastName <admin@NotOurDomain.com>" asking for payments, and I want to create a mail flow rule that'll redirect these to me if they are from outside the organization and that name matches. The sender email itself keeps changing.

I have options for:

"address includes any of these words"
"address matches any of these text patterns"
"has specific properties including any of these words"
"has specific properties matching any of these text patterns"

Like, how am I supposed to know the difference between those four options?
That whole thing, "CeoFirstName CeoLastName <admin@NotOurDomain.com>", is the From header. If you're using Exchange, you can set a transport rule that catches external mail with "CeoFirstName CeoLastName" in the From header and sends it to you or spam or whatever. You should also check for "CeoLastName, CeoFirstName" while you're at it. This is probably going to catch any email from their personal account, and obviously anyone with a similar name, but you can set exclusion rules on specific email addresses if you need to do that. Yeah, this is that thing I said.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 6, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
"From Header", got it, thank you for the help!

Yes, I was already setting the exclusion rules because the CEO sends from his personal email a bunch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If your company is in any way serious about stopping this type of fraud then the CEO not using their non-company account for company business needs to be really loving high up that list.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good luck telling him that. As if he gives a poo poo.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We're in the process of pushing digital signatures in outlook for finance and all executives. I just finished helping the CEO set his up. Moving forward, if there isn't a little red ribbon by the name, he didn't send the e-mail.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's the state of digital signatures across platforms now? Like if people read mail on an iPhone, do signed messages get verified?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Fool posted:

We're in the process of pushing digital signatures in outlook for finance and all executives. I just finished helping the CEO set his up. Moving forward, if there isn't a little red ribbon by the name, he didn't send the e-mail.

Does that work for mail sent from mobile phones as well?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
What's the best practice for print servers nowadays?

I have an old Windows 2003 DC that is also our "print server". We are moving our domain to 2016 and new DCs and I don't want the printers to be on the DCs at all. The current server just has the printers installed on the server and then shared and we manually set them up or use a Kixtart script to assign them to machines.

The server I am going to use for them is Windows 2008 R2.

What is the easiest way to assign the printers after also. Any powershell magic to strip printers from all the user machines (windows 7 & 10) and then assign them the moved versions?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Script the removal of the existing printers if possible, push the new ones through GPO.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Script the removal of the existing printers if possible, push the new ones through GPO.

Is there a way to avoid manual setup if your non-IT boss's boss decided that every single person needs an individual copy/print code? :suicide:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Is there a way to avoid manual setup if your non-IT boss's boss decided that every single person needs an individual copy/print code? :suicide:

fire

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

What's the state of digital signatures across platforms now? Like if people read mail on an iPhone, do signed messages get verified?

Jeoh posted:

Does that work for mail sent from mobile phones as well?

Seems to work fine on iPhones, but installing the certificate without mdm is a shitshow. I haven't looked at Android, since our entire executive team are iPhone users.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does whatever you use for tracking usage not link to Active Directory? Why do you need codes to track usage, other than for photocopies or billing to accounts?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Thanks Ants posted:

Is GPO the way to go even for printers that only 1 or 2 users have? We have a bunch of people with printers in their offices (who doesn't).

We are a small office. Just about 30 computers on site not counting servers.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

We use Uniflow. AD has a field set to the employee number, UniFlow tracks according to that number and links it back to AD for reporting. Best thing is that the computers only need a single driver for Uniflow. They can then walk up to any printer, log in, and print their queue. All under a single install on each machine.

Uniflow also watches which windows account jobs come from so they can print directly to their printer without messing with a queue (because apparently this is a big loving deal to some people who need to save 4 seconds of their day).

It's probably expensive though, i never vetted it against other options because I like how well it works.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Is it just me, or is Microsoft Teams a huge heap of poo poo?

The web app doesn't seem to have a contact list

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every Microsoft messaging app is a piece of poo poo. If you're an Office 365 user then you have Skype for Business, Team and Yammer where you can chat. Of course none of them integrate with each other.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Every Microsoft messaging app is a piece of poo poo. If you're an Office 365 user then you have Skype for Business, Team and Yammer where you can chat. Of course none of them integrate with each other.

Skype for Business is now Microsoft Teams!

(gently caress off, you can't use Skype in o365 any more and we don't care if you were in the middle of a conversation with someone yesterday, we're taking SFB away from you right now)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

spog posted:

(gently caress off, you can't use Skype in o365 any more and we don't care if you were in the middle of a conversation with someone yesterday, we're taking SFB away from you right now)

is this real or am i dreaming

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jeoh posted:

is this real or am i dreaming

Between Slack and Discord I bet Microsoft is regretting that skype buyout

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
It's too bad this isn't available in print. I'd love to send physical copies to a few people as anonymous gifts.

https://www.amazon.com/Savaged-Systemd-Erotic-Unix-Encounter-ebook/dp/B075DYXZW1

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It's been five minutes, clearly time to rebrand again. This time it'll be much better, I'm sure.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Hey Powershell wizards, is anyone familiar with Set-SmbClientConfiguration? What's the difference between UseOpportunisticLocking and OplocksDisabled? (My end goal is to disable opportunistic locking, it is for a progect DO NOT ASK WHAT THE PROGECT IS!!!!)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Hey Powershell wizards, is anyone familiar with Set-SmbClientConfiguration? What's the difference between UseOpportunisticLocking and OplocksDisabled? (My end goal is to disable opportunistic locking, it is for a progect DO NOT ASK WHAT THE PROGECT IS!!!!)

What's a progect?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

What's a progect?

Can you not read?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

...DO NOT ASK WHAT THE PROGECT IS!!!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Can you guys take these dumb inside jokes somewhere else? At least have them be funny first.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
My very own Sickening wrongpinion post. I've finally made it :allears:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Proteus Jones posted:

Can you not read?

I said A, not THE!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

spog posted:

loving lol if this is real. We JUST got all of our Macs on S4B in the last week. It's a drat sight better than the Lync 2011 we were on before, but gently caress if teams isn't poo poo on our 365 so far.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

spog posted:

Please don't be real. I literally just finished documenting everything for our deployment of SfB. We put it off a bit because we are upgrading to windows 10 and just doing it all at once and I swear to christ if I have to do this poo poo all over again...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

loving lol if this is real. We JUST got all of our Macs on S4B in the last week. It's a drat sight better than the Lync 2011 we were on before, but gently caress if teams isn't poo poo on our 365 so far.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Please don't be real. I literally just finished documenting everything for our deployment of SfB. We put it off a bit because we are upgrading to windows 10 and just doing it all at once and I swear to christ if I have to do this poo poo all over again...

Genuine screenshot, I am afraid.
Skype is gone from o365: no warning, no help, no nothing.

On the positive, at least the desktop client for SFB still works

On the negative I can guarantee every user of Skype will struggle to use Teams and life will be miserable for IT support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Migrating from Lync to Jabber sounds like a good decision every day.

• Locked thread