Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/abstvradio/photos/a.843682225731003.1073741829.558698930896002/1505006082931944/?type=3&theater

quote:

Statement by the Hon Gaston Browne. Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda
Preliminary remarks on the passage of Hurricane Irma
The forecast was that Antigua would be devastated, our infrastructure demolished, people killed and our economy destroyed.
In the light of day, the picture is very different.
In Antigua, no life has been lost – all the people survived.
The guests in our hotels are all well.
Even our animals were protected from this massive storm.
Our airport will be open for flights into and out of Antigua by 2pm today.
The people of Antigua should all be very proud of the part that each of them played in our impressive story of readiness and resilience.
I dare to say that no other country in the Caribbean would have been as well prepared as we were.
People heeded the warnings of my government to treat Hurricane Irma with absolute seriousness, and everyone did.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

evilweasel posted:

Well, "The GOP" isn't really the opposition that needs to be negotiated with here. The Republican Party is seriously divided on immigration: the business wing loves it, the racist wing hates it. "Conservatives" split depending on where their first loyalty is, but for most elected republicans it's business. The path to getting this through isn't negotiating with republicans as a whole, it's negotiating with the business wing. That said, the business wing needs to get re-elected, so they have to answer to the racist wing which is why immigration has not gotten done.

The DREAM act is a huge wedge issue precisely because it splits those two wings so effectively: you can't make a moral case for deporting Dreamers. You can't make a case that America is better off. You can only make a racist case for it. A lot of other immigration issues let business Republicans dodge that they're opposing illegal immigration, standing up for the law, what have you. So this places the business republicans in the place where they cannot dodge: they have to support one side or the other.

So token measures may, in the end, help grease the skids: you're never convincing the elected racist wing, but the pro business people might think that some token measures give them sufficient cover back home (or, that even insufficient token measures their racist base will be furious about are, in the end, better for their re-election than opposing it). So at the end of the day if that's all that's standing between the DREAM act passing, I think they should go for it. But there is no reason whatsoever to begin there: the only way that you pressure the business wing republicans enough to get them to start contemplating ignore their racist base is by hammering the need for action rather than negotiating in public. Plenty of Republicans have started suggesting publicly they're uncomfortable with deporting DREAMers, and the pressure needs to be kept up on all fronts.

So basically, you can't think of this as negotiating with the entire Republican party. You're trying to encourage enough defections that you get something passed with minority Republican support.

The only wing of the party that is pro-deporting dreamers is the Steve King, Sessions, Miller wing whose driving purpose is white supremacy. Just this morning there was a story about how the Evangelical wing, who are almost as racist but at least have some other goals too, were trying to take credit for moderating Trump's decision and getting the 6-month delay added. If Ryan could miraculously get something passed to protect the dreamers, and Trump signed it, Fox and Friends and Hannity wouldn't care, and will gladly proclaim Trump to be the most compassionate president of all time. The only people who would make a fuss about it are your Bannons and Coulters, who are just a step above posting on Stormfront under their real name.

That's why the Democrats can afford to hold firm on this issue. Even the pretty racist wing of the GOP know that deporting 800,000 people who came to the country as kids is just terrible politics - and the last thing they need in a mid-term year.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

This is one of the lies that I can't help but get angry over every time. It's just so obviously false, and even the people with a platform who disagree kind of give it a pass because it's just been this constant refrain from the right for literally longer than I've been alive.

The greatest GOP political victory in history was when it, after decades of propaganda (and none of it really countered by democrats) they managed to convince poor Americans that cutting taxes for wealthy Americans, and social services for themselves, was the only way to bring JOBS back and was good for them in the long run.

It is so weird, and so uniquely American. I have traveled the world and have never encountered any other society where the rural-poor population of a country was OK with massive tax cuts for the wealthy while getting their own social services gutted in the name of bootstraps.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
So part of the US is on fire and the other part is underwater. Is this a witch trial for an entire nation? Is the US A WITCH?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's really great and I like the added part that their animals were considered. :unsmith:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh hey I like that place. All the cool people we met there on our honeymoon are fine :unsmith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

The only wing of the party that is pro-deporting dreamers is the Steve King, Sessions, Miller wing whose driving purpose is white supremacy. Just this morning there was a story about how the Evangelical wing, who are almost as racist but at least have some other goals too, were trying to take credit for moderating Trump's decision and getting the 6-month delay added. If Ryan could miraculously get something passed to protect the dreamers, and Trump signed it, Fox and Friends and Hannity wouldn't care, and will gladly proclaim Trump to be the most compassionate president of all time. The only people who would make a fuss about it are your Bannons and Coulters, who are just a step above posting on Stormfront under their real name.

That's why the Democrats can afford to hold firm on this issue. Even the pretty racist wing of the GOP know that deporting 800,000 people who came to the country as kids is just terrible politics - and the last thing they need in a mid-term year.

the evangelical leaders may not be in favor of deporting dreamers (at least some of those leaders, i bet there's plenty who will come out and blather about how god commands you to refuse shelter to the poor and helpless) but the evangelicals themselves are pretty firmly in the racist base. most elected republicans don't put white supremacy first on their list of priorities but do answer to an electorate that does.

edit: hannity is firmly in the racist wing of the republican party, so is fox and friends. they'll oppose the dream act stuff.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 6, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The hurricane is so large that even if it misses the coast of Florida by 50 miles it will still cover the entire state

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The greatest GOP political victory in history was when it, after decades of propaganda (and none of it really countered by democrats) they managed to convince poor Americans that cutting taxes for wealthy Americans, and social services for themselves, was the only way to bring JOBS back and was good for them in the long run.

It is so weird, and so uniquely American. I have traveled the world and have never encountered any other society where the rural-poor population of a country was OK with massive tax cuts for the wealthy while getting their own social services gutted in the name of bootstraps.

the GOP has been pretty terrible about actually convincing their base to believe that stupid poo poo which is why in the primary trump ran on raising taxes on the wealthy. it polls terribly with republicans.

the scam the GOP pulled has been to run on guns, god, and racism at the same time and get their base to believe those things are more important than the gop's love for the wealthy

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

People on Twitter have been going crazy about Barbuda going radio silent since the storm hit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BrianBoitano posted:

Bonus: solar flare incoming! Won't actually do much, except make your GPS funky for a short period, but the sun is trying to remind us that yes, it could end our electrical grid any time it feels like it:

https://twitter.com/BOM_au/status/904952045274267648

Why do people act like cold and the occasional blizzard is at all similar to hurricanes or tornados or other actual disasters? I'm not a huge fan of blizzards or -40 windchill, but on the other hand they put neither me nor my home and belongings in any kind of peril. Bundle up and go about your life!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Krispy Kareem posted:

Isn't that a good thing? Weren't we just talking yesterday about how pine beetles or some poo poo have been expanding because of milder winters?

Pine beetles are in pine trees. Across most of the west, there are very wet and snowy winters, and very dry summers, so you see lots of pines and pine beetles.

East of the Mississippi, at least in the North, you have deciduous forests because you have humid summers. Except in the boreal forests of northern Minnesota and Wisconsin, you don't have pine forests there.

Here is a basic map of US forest types:

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 6, 2017

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, it's a little surreal in Seattle right now:

The moon was bloody tonight and all the mountains are gone. I knew it was gonna be a weird day when I woke up and my window was ruby red.

I keep reading these posts like this in my head overlaid with The Dead Flag Blues. Hope the sky stops burning or raining for people, depending where they live.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Given the treatment of other illegal residents in the United States, like the Iraqis seeking refuge, it seems pretty apparent that this is what's coming down the pipeline. I'd like to think this is an extreme reaction but looking into what the ACLU has documented and reading about how DHS and ICE treat people they select for relocation, I can't see it going down another way then internment.

Like, does somebody have an alternate method they could show us to make me not think we're literally going to round up a bunch of Latinos and force them into a prison for months until they are dropped off somewhere else?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/_Almaqah/status/905217614770823168

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PT6A posted:

Why do people act like cold and the occasional blizzard is at all similar to hurricanes or tornados or other actual disasters? I'm not a huge fan of blizzards or -40 windchill, but on the other hand they put neither me nor my home and belongings in any kind of peril. Bundle up and go about your life!

Huge amounts of snow can be just as devastating as huge amounts of rain or wind. Snow looks quiet and innocent on the surface but poo poo can really hit the fan when entire towns become unreachable and people get snowed in and can't get out of their houses.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PT6A posted:

occasional blizzard is fine, it's the ones that are well out of the ordinary that are problems because (a) all roads are blocked so people can't get medical attention; (b) trees collapse, potentially downing power lines; (c) lack of power and lack of ability to get the gently caress out are a real big problem for the elderly

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Count down until Fox News starts using the same image

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

That said, earthquakes are the loving worst. Glad I don't live in Cali anymore.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I;m thinking about thos Trumps

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

enraged_camel posted:

Huge amounts of snow can be just as devastating as huge amounts of rain or wind. Snow looks quiet and innocent on the surface but poo poo can really hit the fan when entire towns become unreachable and people get snowed in and can't get out of their houses.

I've lived all across Canada, in both rural areas and in cities, and never seen anything like that in 28 winters, so I'd say the risk is reasonably low compared to hurricanes, let's say, which hit any given place in the hurricane risk zone every few years.

Just make sure you have water and food you can eat without using electricity to cook. A non-electric heating source is probably a good idea in rural areas too.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The sliver of imbeciles in the Venn diagram who voted for both Obama and Trump are beginning to regret their decision.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/905443514854633474

Rigel fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 6, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

N. Senada posted:

Given the treatment of other illegal residents in the United States, like the Iraqis seeking refuge, it seems pretty apparent that this is what's coming down the pipeline. I'd like to think this is an extreme reaction but looking into what the ACLU has documented and reading about how DHS and ICE treat people they select for relocation, I can't see it going down another way then internment.

Like, does somebody have an alternate method they could show us to make me not think we're literally going to round up a bunch of Latinos and force them into a prison for months until they are dropped off somewhere else?

The alternative is that the state gives up trying to negotiate relocation among a dozen or more countries for a million-odd people and just leaves them in prison indefinitely or starts using them for slave labor to cover the cost of their endlessly deferred relocation.

Or maybe the party's just getting started and we're on our way to discussion of a final solution to the problem of illegal people taking the jobs and homes of real Americans.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

N. Senada posted:

If Trump bothers to ask for and get enough immigration judges and administrative staff hired to increase the throughput any given Latino wouldn't be in a detention center for very long. :toot: They'd be back in a country where they might not even speak the language instead, which may or may not be preferable.

Guess whether his focus has been on getting judges and staffers to actually handle what passes for a legal process, or on getting thugs to put people in and operate the prisons

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rigel posted:

The sliver of imbeciles in the Venn diagram who voted for both Obama and Trump are regretting their decision.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/905443514854633474
Oh, you mean some of my co-workers?

I still never understand why they went Obama -> Trump. Some combination of "I don't trust Hillary" and "I'm getting older/married/having kids" broke their brains.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Antigua looks like it was about on the dividing line between Tropical force and Hurricane winds. I mean good for them, but please no one take that as a sign of Irma's severity.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

JazzFlight posted:

I still never understand why they went Obama -> Trump. Some combination of "I don't trust Hillary" and "I'm getting older/married/having kids" broke their brains.

Those people actually exist IRL? How the hell do they make that jump? Clinton was Obama's secretary of state!

gently caress you, got mine is strong

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PT6A posted:

You may not have been in an actual blizzard or know what a blizzard is.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

There is a substantial part of the population that follows politics once every four years and doesnt understand anything that happens in the interceding time.

No ideology, no frame of reference, and total confidence they are making the right choice.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Storm track has shifted east, Irma is now headed straight to Miami.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What possible reason is there to roll back title ix

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

What possible reason is there to roll back title ix

Devos thinks rape should be legal.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FizFashizzle posted:

There is a substantial part of the population that follows politics once every four years and doesnt understand anything that happens in the interceding time.

No ideology, no frame of reference, and total confidence they are making the right choice.
The ones who voted this way have a standard response of, "Listen, it's just 4 years and if it doesn't work out, someone else gets in."

They don't understand that even a few months of Trump have created problems that will take decades to fix. Some of these problems are irrecoverable.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Those people actually exist IRL?

Like, statistically, pretty much no. Everything you can possibly imagine happens some, but no study shows any large population of obama/trump voters. someone's aunt's nephew's brother did it and it's totally real, but it's one of those demographics that gets talked about way more than it actually exists in the world.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You may not have been in an actual blizzard or know what a blizzard is.

Otherwise known as "is the house settling or are we seconds away from collapse"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I know several idiots who went Obama ->Stein. They are exactly as broken as you would expect

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

PT6A posted:

Nobody's saying they're exactly the same, but you're dense as hell if you think blizzards don't kill people or destroy lives and property.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

I know several idiots who went Obama ->Stein. They are exactly as broken as you would expect

Obama -> Stein is dumb but at least vaguely ideologically consistent. Obama -> Trump is like ????

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

enraged_camel posted:

That said, earthquakes are the loving worst. Glad I don't live in Cali anymore.

Earthquakes depend a lot on preparation.

I live in Chile. The buildings here are very strictly built.

I live on the 12th floor of a building, and this April, I was in a 6.9 "Sismo" (its not an earthquake because it isn't over 7.
My apartment shook for a minute, I was scared, social media lit up...
But there was no structural damage in the city, and no fatalities or even injuries.

I would take take a few seconds of that over a day of building-destroying wind and three days of rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ImpAtom posted:

Obama -> Stein is dumb but at least vaguely ideologically consistent. Obama -> Trump is like ????
I think it was purely the celebrity/entertainment factor. Riding the bandwagon of whoever was "cooler."

• Locked thread