Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There aren't really any singular scenes that show off his range, which is a shame, but I'd guess the hospital scene with Cooper waking up is probably the moment most people are going to remember.

I would go with an ep with a lot of Mr. C or Mr. C and Dougie or Coop. Potential entries would be Part 2, Part 3, Part 5, Part 7, Part 9, Part 13, Part 15, Part 16, and Part 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Since the Complete Mystery box set is already out of print, there is no current blu ray.

The UK version must still be in print because you can get the whole thing for $25 from US Amazon (shipped from UK). Region-free, too.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

adamcantsleep posted:

And can we just put a moratorium on "ugh if you don't like [x] in the new season, you just want cherry pie and memes and fanservice"?

I loved most of this season and I wasn't expecting easy answers, but I think making the finale hinge on Dale Cooper's hubris ('cause that's a trait he's known for, right?) and a desire to save Laura Palmer when the series has never been about those things is a facile rebuff to honest criticism. I wanted mystery and ambiguity, but not using Grace Zabriskie in the finale save for one brief scene is a goddamn crime and a waste of Sarah's intriguing storyline.

but you got mystery and ambiguity and cherry pie and memes and fan service in the full run of season 3, we all watched the same 18 hours so don't tell me you didnt. maybe stop thinking it was a waste because you didn't get immediate closure in the finale and engage with each 18 piece slice more? i don't know what to tell you, you werent expecting easy answers and you didn't get them but wanted mystery and ambiguity. which you got. like loving lol.

i dont know why i'm surprised at these ending reactions. people continuously crying out for meat and substance and when they get it's just loving complaining. i think my favourite reaction to the series has been poo poo like "what's with these info dumps and expositions!?" and then two posts later it's like "why doesn't lynch explain anything!?"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

wa27 posted:

The UK version must still be in print because you can get the whole thing for $25 from US Amazon (shipped from UK). Region-free, too.

yeah its still in print kinda but theres two versions, there's a cheaper big bluray box and a better, slightly more expensive cardboard with good designs printed on them which i think is out of print.

i think the rights to fire walk with me changed hands is the reason for this, i dont know. i know criterion has a version of it coming out very soon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The one I have here is just a big plastic case with a cardboard sleeve. It has 10 discs: the whole s1+2 and FWWM + the missing pieces. The transfer is insanely good. It's the UK edition.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The Walrus posted:

here's a question: if you could ask david lynch one question about this season and have it answered, excluding the very ending, what would it be?

For me it would be - when does the post credits scene of the season, with the fireman and coop in the white lodge, take place?

I really think that's the linchpin of everything

I just need to know how he came up with Dougie.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

And More posted:

I just need to know how he came up with Dougie.
http://www.dazeddigital.com/film-tv/article/36961/1/how-a-lost-lynch-script-explains

Vikar Jerome posted:

i think my favourite reaction to the series has been poo poo like "what's with these info dumps and expositions!?" and then two posts later it's like "why doesn't lynch explain anything!?"
You're being deliberately obtuse if you don't see the issue people had with the info dumps. It's not that they existed, it's that they were really clumsy and actually pretty un-Lynch. Lynch just putting images and sequences out there to evoke a feeling is par for the course, but combining that with "As you know," dumps just came off as lazy sometimes.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 6, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
how is dougie formed

how janey get pragnent

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The one I have here is just a big plastic case with a cardboard sleeve. It has 10 discs: the whole s1+2 and FWWM + the missing pieces. The transfer is insanely good. It's the UK edition.

yeah thats the one i got, i regret it because the box is the cheaper version. i saw the layout cardboard sleeves for the other version and wish i had spent more. i mean the discs are the exact same but whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ha my brother was actually just saying last night how the case felt really cheap. Doesn't bother me at all once the discs are good.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Cromulent posted:

You're being deliberately obtuse if you don't see the issue people had with the info dumps. It's not that they existed, it's that they were really clumsy and actually pretty un-Lynch. Lynch just putting images and sequences out there to evoke a feeling is par for the course, but combining that with "As you know," dumps just came off as lazy sometimes.

still hilarious.

also info dumps is very twin peaks, season 1 and 2 had them. fwwm didn't, season 3 had a bit of both!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

how is dougie formed

how janey get pragnent

dougie fucks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDt5HTULfnQ

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
So what'd you all make of the 100s of Jeffries-teapot like objects that are in the Fireman's den? We see a brief glimpse of them in one scene. What does it mean that the Fireman hordes/manufactures these objects?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

n4 posted:

So what'd you all make of the 100s of Jeffries-teapot like objects that are in the Fireman's den? We see a brief glimpse of them in one scene. What does it mean that the Fireman hordes/manufactures these objects?

It was probably an early hint that Jeffries as he is now is more related to Fireman and his allies, than to BOB and DoppleCoop. As to what they are, who knows. Vessels for humans that become akin to Lodge spirits as Jeffries did?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Birth Movies Death has posted a pretty nice farewell / retrospective of Twin Peaks here:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/09/05/bmd-says-goodbye-to-twin-peaks-the-return

Also, Variety talked to Kyle MacLachlan and these were his thoughts on the final scene. Kind of funny that the actor himself has the exact same visceral reaction and confusion as his audience:

Kyle MacLachlan posted:

You’re talking about the last sequence, right? I had a sense, filming that sequence. It’s always interesting to film with David, and then to watch it. Because his edits — he always changes things a little bit for the tempo, the rhythms he chooses to have. Although I will say that he shot very economically, very precisely. So oftentimes we would do a couple takes from a couple different angles and that was it. And he said that’s it, and we’d move on. He’s fully in control as a director, I think that’s absolutely in control. Precisely what he wanted. He’s pretty impressive.

I had a feeling that the final thing was going to be one of those, sort of, hair on the back-of-your-neck-goes-up moments, and people are going to like — if they’re in the middle of a bite of pie, the pie’s going to drop off the fork. It was just unexpected and what, and your mind sort of spins backwards, it was one of those kinds of moments. I felt like that was what was going to happen. And indeed, that was my experience. I was like whoa. Just like, whoa.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 6, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the first edition of the UK blu-ray box set and it's cool as hell

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah thats the one i got, i regret it because the box is the cheaper version. i saw the layout cardboard sleeves for the other version and wish i had spent more. i mean the discs are the exact same but whatever.

I don't feel I missed anything by just buying (and watching) the cheaper/simpler box set and then just watching Lucy Moran unbox the original one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Ue1KMWNAU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Does anyone have a thought on Cooper in this new whatever sharing the same first name as Richard Horne? There's a Linda mentioned briefly in Twin Peaks too, IIRC a disable woman that lives in the new trailer park.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

Did you guys know the guy who plays the giant is a musician?

He's releasing a lessons DVD called fireman: rock with me

He plays one of his compositions towards the end of "The Witches of Eastwick":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6H-lBoOzzU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

Does anyone have a thought on Cooper in this new whatever sharing the same first name as Richard Horne? There's a Linda mentioned briefly in Twin Peaks too, IIRC a disable woman that lives in the new trailer park.

A thing that kinda gets glossed over is that Richard being bad cooper's son is still derivative of cooper himself since he and his doppleganger both shared the same genetics / fingerprints / etc...

Richard seemed to act entirely on impulse and the drive of "want" like bad cooper but lacked any of bad cooper's skills, training, and intuition.

Regarding Linda... no idea. It could have just been a bone thrown in there to make people think it was part of the "Richard and Linda, two birds with one stone puzzle." Another sly way to keep people guessing and tuning back in to the next episode.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I was thinking that A) it had the same connection to that of Mike and Bobby to MIKE and BOB; or B) there's something with dream states bleeding into each other (whatever that means) and the name of Richard is due to perhaps guilt over his son or something along those lines, or C) something smartly stated with great insight that I'm not capable of doing or having.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

G-III posted:

Another sly way to keep people guessing and tuning back in to the next episode.

Do you think that David Lynch was thinking "Hmm....what can I write here to keep them tuning back in to the next episode?"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

fucken rekt noob

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

cjg posted:

Do you think that David Lynch was thinking "Hmm....what can I write here to keep them tuning back in to the next episode?"

Not literally just an artifact of lynch and frost's pro was of constructing a mystery and plotting out episodes. The original show had lots of misdirection regarding the clues it gave and how the story unfolded.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I really genuinely love how they did the Audrey storyline. Frost and Lynch took one of the most iconic characters of an entire decade and made her argue with a dwarf and dance around.

I think its very effective that Audrey has no idea where she is and whats happening to her, and neither do we.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Perhaps another way of looking at this is: consider the pairing of Annie and Caroline in the end of season 2: in the red room sometimes the woman who appears to Cooper is Annie and sometimes it's Caroline. I assume this is a reflection of guilt: two women the hero Cooper failed to save. Another pair of women is Audrey and Diane: two women the bad Cooper raped. I'd have to watch it again, but does Diane's red room arrival coincide with Audrey "waking up" after her dance?

I guess another element to consider here is that in E18 Cooper doesn't think of himself as Richard. Richard is the name given to him by Diane (who assigns herself Linda). So if E18 isn't a solipsized vision from Cooper, then the name Richard could be external from his psyche.

So I dunno, maybe Diane and Audrey are being paired in some way. Outside of their association with Cooper I don't know if their are other links. Audrey is obsessed with "Billy" and while there's the drunk in the cell who could be Billy there's also William Hastings, who in a certain sense was bleeding from the nose and mouth after the top of his head exploded. I also thought William Hastings is a curious name, because of course William the Conqueror, but on the other hand I'm really late for work.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Laura/Carrie had to grab her coat before she could leave, too

First thing she asked Cooper was "did you find him??"

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

The Walrus posted:

this season has been very meta and i am wondering if the ending is a warning about trying to revisit what was lost 25 years ago

I just as struck dumb yesterday when I read that The Return had been described as "Cooper's journey back home" when my takeaway from e18 was that old adage, "You can never go home."

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Of all the weird bits in the final episodes the Diane/Naido thing still feels the most unnatural to me. She still feels like a constructed person, like a fantasy dream girl Cooper projects onto this blank person.
This is one thing that kinda irks me the wrong way. The only Diane we ever got to know was an unreliable narrator, we can't really trust or believe much of anything she said. Then Naido being Diane just felt really cheap and contrived, there doesn't seem to be any reason for it or meaning. It wasn't really set up either, just "this random character you know nothing about is now this other random character you know nothing about". Her passionate embrace with Coop after this reveal lacked all emotion for me too. Up this point the only thing we know is that they kissed once (maybe), we never saw a romance develop between them. The worst part is that all of a sudden Diane, this character we still know nothing about is all of a sudden important enough to go a on a quest to an alternate dimension to confront horrific evil.

The Diane arc is cheap, weaker, and more contrived than the Freddie one.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I almost wonder if Naido being Diane isn't some bizarre parody of the Tojamura stuff with Catherine in the original series.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

eSporks posted:

This is one thing that kinda irks me the wrong way. The only Diane we ever got to know was an unreliable narrator, we can't really trust or believe much of anything she said. Then Naido being Diane just felt really cheap and contrived, there doesn't seem to be any reason for it or meaning

The way I understood it, Bad Cooper took Diane to the place above the convenience store, after raping her. There, he created a tulpa to replace her and then left the original in the black lodge, locked inside that form so she would not be able to help Cooper or be recognized by him

Makes sense to me

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 6, 2017

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

The way I understood it, Bad Cooper took Diane to the place above the convenience store, after raping her. There, he created a tulpa to replace her and then left the original in the black lodge, locked inside that form so she would not be able to help Cooper or be recognized by him

Makes sense to me
Yea, thats almost definitely what happened. It still doesn't really excuse giving a character we know nothing about such an important role, or the embrace just being devoid of emotion.

EDIT: Coop might as well have taken Amanda Seifried with him.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 6, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

adamcantsleep posted:

And can we just put a moratorium on "ugh if you don't like [x] in the new season, you just want cherry pie and memes and fanservice"?

I loved most of this season and I wasn't expecting easy answers, but I think making the finale hinge on Dale Cooper's hubris ('cause that's a trait he's known for, right?)

He hosed up twice. Why exactly do you think his doppelganger got out of the lodge in the first place? He faced the dweller on the threshold and lost. Now he's hosed up again. I like Cooper, but the character has flaws. Just very hard to see ones. But where Log lady and Briggs succedded, he failed.

Cooper hosed up. Deal with it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I almost wonder if Naido being Diane isn't some bizarre parody of the Tojamura stuff with Catherine in the original series.

Ha that's how I read it

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The Walrus posted:

this season has been very meta and i am wondering if the ending is a warning about trying to revisit what was lost 25 years ago

i dont think the ending was at all postitive. just is described as a being of negative energy. we can read that as entropy, in other words she is the tendancy for the universe to want to end given agency. at the end the lights switch out. shes won.

It's really cool how the meta elements create a commentary about television itself that coexsists with the narrative instead of making it the central theme of the show. These are some disjointed observations so apologies in advance:

We see that Judy is strongly associated with electricity, and the link between that an television is obvious. But I think the broader point, or the "horror" of it, is how recursive it all is - you get a hint of this when Sarah is watching TV and the same clip is playing over and over. All of these characters are trapped in the show and all of them are essentially tulpas created in the image of their actors (notice that creating a tulpa seems to require electricity, a little gold, and a piece of the "host," which also links back to the whole idea of cameras stealing or harming part of the soul), and they are doomed to live through that infinite loop every time someone turns on Twin Peaks. All of it will play out exactly the same, every time, and that final, primal scream in the finale, brought on by hearing a line from the very first episode of season 1, is also partly "Laura Palmer" recognizing that she will end up on that shore, wrapped in plastic, over and over. We see the lights go out like a television set winking out - the only thing that breaks the cycle is to literally pull the plug, turn off the TV.

Part of the reason the finale feels so disconnected is that it becomes much more naturalistic - the characters are more "real," Cooper isn't the morally pure knight in shining armor. There are no musical cues, no typical transitions. Even things that normally get left on the editing floor when you play by the standard rules of cinema, like that long, silent car ride, are left in. And of course the person who opens the door is the home's actual, real-life owner. The episode is pushing against the fourth wall but Lynch never lets it break through, because for those characters, there is no escape. The illusion shatters and the loop closes, and they are brought right back to S1E1 to live it all out again.

The viewer is Judy, watching their suffering for our own entertainment.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

reminder, this is 2nd time coop tried to save laura and hosed it up because he didn't understand how any of this lodge poo poo works. first time Mike had to run around and fix everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I get the feeling that Cooper was essentially ready to sacrifice himself which is why he created the other Dougie. A noble gesture, but man that was a miscalculation.