Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've absolutely seen renos where new pillars were added. People get a place, want to do some simple kitchen reno because the kitchen/dining room is this cool open concept but was done in the 80's so is pretty dated by now. The builders come in and quickly realize the 80's kitchen reno was a huge disaster and they removed load bearing walls to create the open concept, so now you in fact need to do major structural work in the room and install a big post and some new beams because the floor above has already sagged 3" and it's a miracle the whole thing hasn't fallen down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I've absolutely seen renos where new pillars were added. People get a place, want to do some simple kitchen reno because the kitchen/dining room is this cool open concept but was done in the 80's so is pretty dated by now. The builders come in and quickly realize the 80's kitchen reno was a huge disaster and they removed load bearing walls to create the open concept, so now you in fact need to do major structural work in the room and install a big post and some new beams because the floor above has already sagged 3" and it's a miracle the whole thing hasn't fallen down.

Yeah, but, again, that is a very big pillar in a very awkward spot.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The area behind it was probably a closet or something and they knocked out the wall and moved the sink over a bit when they extended the counter back.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Let me try and alleviate some of the confusion here

Floorplan before:

Floorplan after:

Other views

Bonus ugly bathroom

Apparently the makeover worked because it sold for $479k in 2015 and less than a year later was flipped for $790k. Then again, it's in the Upper West Side of Manhattan so that might just be natural appreciation over time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol so there is no hidden fridge, is there? That bathroom is very clean and functional but too Japanese hotel.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

peanut posted:

Lol so there is no hidden fridge, is there? That bathroom is very clean and functional but too Japanese hotel.

Could be a half size fridge. Like in a dorm or ... hotel. Maybe the whole point of the reno was to turn a cramped apartment into a desirable AirBnB rental?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wealthy people in NYC really never need to cook if they don't feel like it, and a lot of people don't. That's where you get all the jokes about using your oven to store sweaters.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
It's got refrigerator drawers. You can see the vent for it on the opposite side of the room from the sink.

ETA: Two sets of fridge drawers.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I like the bathroom. But the nothing but white look in living space is dumb.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Youth Decay posted:

Floorplan before:

Floorplan after:

Other views

Bonus ugly bathroom

Apparently the makeover worked because it sold for $479k in 2015 and less than a year later was flipped for $790k. Then again, it's in the Upper West Side of Manhattan so that might just be natural appreciation over time.

The bonus is actually the one chair being included in the floor plan.

But I think that the area between the column and wall should have a wall between it: add some more separation from the living spaces from the sleeping space.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg wait if your fridge is hidden in a cabinet what about funny souvenir magnets???!!.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/345-Wayside-Rd-Portola-Valley-CA-94028/15600940_zpid/

Oh, that looks like an interesting house.

The circular kitchen is a little weird, but okay.

Is that.. the bedroom?

The kitchen, bedroom, and office are three separate buildings. In order to go from the bedroom to the kitchen to make your coffee in the morning, you need to put on shoes. Hopefully it's not one of the rainy days in California.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Coca Koala posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/345-Wayside-Rd-Portola-Valley-CA-94028/15600940_zpid/

Oh, that looks like an interesting house.

The circular kitchen is a little weird, but okay.

Is that.. the bedroom?

The kitchen, bedroom, and office are three separate buildings. In order to go from the bedroom to the kitchen to make your coffee in the morning, you need to put on shoes. Hopefully it's not one of the rainy days in California.

So, like, the bedrooms need to have exterior door locks? When you go from the bedroom to the kitchen you need to bring your keys? NOPE.

Nice house. To get murdered in.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Where is the bathroom? That looks lile the gift shop & craft workshop of a nature conservancy.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Wife has asked if we can keep the smallest bedroom as a spare bedroom for guests and the mother in law. This means unless I want a transient working space around the house, I'm going to need to set up "my" space in the shed or garage. The latter is 5m x 3m of concrete block construction with a pitched tarpaper roof. It would need finishing, and whatever else needs to house a home gym and workbench/tools. It doesn't seem like it'd be a nice space to relax in.

The shed is 9' x 9' with a corner cut off for big glazed double doors. It as insulation and power. I can't help but think this would be nicer even if it's much smaller. I was hoping for a timeless dark wood/leather aesthetic but not only can I find any modest ideas, I can't find ANY small mancaves in that kind of space. Any thoughts?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Y'all are super cynical. Myself at like age twelve would be indescribably excited to just know that a house like that exists in real life.

That's cool, and someone's going to buy it and live the loving dream.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Redeye Flight posted:

Y'all are super cynical. Myself at like age twelve would be indescribably excited to just know that a house like that exists in real life.

Yeah great right up until the kid has a nightmare. Can't just cry out for help with the monster under the bed. Nope. Little kid you has to get your keys, get out of bed, go outside, get to Mom and Dad's room, decide you're too old to go crying to mom and dad, turn around and head back to your room, stare in horror when you realize you left your room unlocked and now anything could be in there. You turn to run back to mom and dad's room, but you trip! Your keys go skittering off into the darkness.

But on the plus side you'll never overhear your parents having sex. I guess it all evens out.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

Floorplan before:

Floorplan after:

Other views

Bonus ugly bathroom

Looks like a scene from "The Unbearable Whiteness of Being".

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

Wife has asked if we can keep the smallest bedroom as a spare bedroom for guests and the mother in law. This means unless I want a transient working space around the house, I'm going to need to set up "my" space in the shed or garage. The latter is 5m x 3m of concrete block construction with a pitched tarpaper roof. It would need finishing, and whatever else needs to house a home gym and workbench/tools. It doesn't seem like it'd be a nice space to relax in.

The shed is 9' x 9' with a corner cut off for big glazed double doors. It as insulation and power. I can't help but think this would be nicer even if it's much smaller. I was hoping for a timeless dark wood/leather aesthetic but not only can I find any modest ideas, I can't find ANY small mancaves in that kind of space. Any thoughts?

http://www.fyi.tv/shows/he-shed-she-shed

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think you're going to have to decide between dark leather study for relaxing vs. home gym and power tools. I don't think you're gonna find a lot of old-school studies that incorporate the latter.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don't forget that you can save a lot of space with a folding rack:
https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-r-3w-fold-back-wall-mount-rack

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
What is the extent of your gym? If it's a full cage and olympic weights 9' square is really tight, as a bar is 7' long. If it's a few weights and a bench, consider a collapsible bench and adjustable dumbbells, which would take up a minimum amount of space. Personally, I'd put the workspace in the garage so you have room to work on longer material, AND finish the shed with a minibar, TV, and two comfy chairs, but my wife wouldn't use either of those spaces and I'd have free reign, so YMMV.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

9x9 is perfect for a tidy home office. Please exercise with rocks and logs in the yard.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

peanut posted:

Where is the bathroom? That looks lile the gift shop & craft workshop of a nature conservancy.

The bathroom is the outcropping on the side of the bedroom; if you click through to the link, there's a picture of it.

Redeye Flight posted:

I mean, I'm totally with you on that! At age twelve, I would have thought that house was so loving cool!

But I'm no longer twelve and now I judge houses by metrics like "Is this convenient" and "Can I get breakfast without walking over a bunch of leaves" and not "is it a treehouse".

I definitely hope that SOMEBODY buys it and lives the dream, because it's too cool of a concept to get wasted, but to me it just seems like eating candy for dinner.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Southern Heel posted:

What kind of hobby is the workbench and tools for, and what kind of gym equipment?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Youth Decay posted:

Floorplan before:

Floorplan after:

Other views

Bonus ugly bathroom

This is much better. You cut out the tiny secluded kitchen for something open, which makes the space look larger and lets the entire place be framed by the New York skyline. The half-size fridge is fine; evidently the buyers don't need a larger one.

I know this thread loves the "lol no REAL PEOPLE can survive without an XXL French door fridge with attached margarita machine" but most people in cities don't need that if they either eat out often or swing by the markets often. I have a full-size fridge and it's never more then half-full; I'd switch it fridge for a half-size one if it meant an extra countertop.

People complain about the color, but once you throw some furniture and a rug in there it won't look the same. It's just an empty condo right now, of course it looks blank.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The real crime is paying almost a million honest-to-god dollars for a loving studio.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why not have the shed as a cosy office/den and the garage for a work bench and exercise equipment?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah great right up until the kid has a nightmare. Can't just cry out for help with the monster under the bed. Nope. Little kid you has to get your keys, get out of bed, go outside, get to Mom and Dad's room, decide you're too old to go crying to mom and dad, turn around and head back to your room, stare in horror when you realize you left your room unlocked and now anything could be in there. You turn to run back to mom and dad's room, but you trip! Your keys go skittering off into the darkness.

But on the plus side you'll never overhear your parents having sex. I guess it all evens out.
I'm going out on a limb and suggesting home invasions and the like are not a problem in Portola Valley. Wildlife? Yah, maybe. There are still lots and lots of places you can live where door locks aren't required. Notice there is no dead bolt on the bedroom door?

https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Portola_Valley-California/crime/

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

HycoCam posted:

I'm going out on a limb and suggesting home invasions and the like are not a problem in Portola Valley. Wildlife? Yah, maybe. There are still lots and lots of places you can live where door locks aren't required. Notice there is no dead bolt on the bedroom door?

having a door you DON'T lock is charming and rural

having a door you CAN'T lock is just unwise

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know this thread loves the "lol no REAL PEOPLE can survive without an XXL French door fridge with attached margarita machine" but most people in cities don't need that if they either eat out often or swing by the markets often. I have a full-size fridge and it's never more then half-full; I'd switch it fridge for a half-size one if it meant an extra countertop.
Eh, I grocery shop frequently, but I'd kill for a bigger freezer compartment.

Then again making my current fridge half fridge/half freezer would accomplish that without taking up space I'd rather use on something else.

HycoCam posted:

https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Portola_Valley-California/crime/
Willingly not locking your door is still loving stupid, though.

If you're around for one of the few burglaries your 'charming rural' town has a year, they're going to go for the house that's unlocked over one that's locked. Thieves want to get in and out as fast as they can.

It's also a terrible habit to be in if you go somewhere with a crime rate above a whopping eleven break-ins a year.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 6, 2017

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Freaquency posted:

The real crime is paying almost a million honest-to-god dollars for a loving studio.

When I first looked at the listing I thought "Under a million? drat, pretty cheap!"

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
We're redoing our bathroom. Our house was built in 1949, it's small (~760 sq ft) and the majority of the house has original wood flooring that to my untrained eye appears to be oak. The planks on the floor are only 2.25" wide. In the bathroom, we're looking to put in vinyl plank flooring that's as close as possible to the flooring in the hallway, but it seems that they don't make vinyl plank flooring with planks less than about 4" wide. Couple questions:

1) Am I just not talking to the right places/googling for the right thing? Or are wide planks just "in"? I can't even find like 7" planks that have three "planks" on them like Pergo has.

2) Assuming I'm not just a total idiot and this stuff doesn't exist, how terrible is it going to look to transition from 2.25" planks in the hallway to 4"-6" planks in the bathroom? Is there something we could/should do to make this transition either less obvious or more distinct so it looks like it was on purpose?

Sub Par fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 6, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Put in a door threshold then run the new wood perpendicular to the old.

Personally, I love the Mannington Adura LVT fake stone tile and would use it in a bathroom over a vinyl tile faux-wood. Here's what we got -- it can be sealed without gaps, or grouted.

https://www.mannington.com/Residential/Adura/AduraTile/Corinthia/AT360

I looked at a LOT of vinyl flooring, and only Mannington looked good in person to me. Everything else was too shiny or textureless. Here's the "wood" we used in the basement.

https://www.mannington.com/Residential/Adura/AduraPlank/Country-Oak/AW551

Seriously, find a place near you to compare it if you haven't seen it. I'll take pictures later of them installed if you want.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Coca Koala posted:

When I first looked at the listing I thought "Under a million? drat, pretty cheap!"

Same

#citylyfe

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Seriously, find a place near you to compare it if you haven't seen it. I'll take pictures later of them installed if you want.

Yeah, these look really good, plus they are 4" which is smaller than most of what I've seen in person so far. There are a couple local places that stock them that are on our list to visit, so we'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sub Par posted:

Yeah, these look really good, plus they are 4" which is smaller than most of what I've seen in person so far. There are a couple local places that stock them that are on our list to visit, so we'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Too bad you're not around here, I have enough leftover wood and LVT for a couple of bathrooms.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Haifisch posted:

If you're around for one of the few burglaries your 'charming rural' town has a year, they're going to go for the house that's unlocked over one that's locked. Thieves want to get in and out as fast as they can.

also i dunno about your insurance but mine explicitly doesn't cover me leaving the door unlocked then wondering why my poo poo's gone.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hi guys I'm mobile so quoting is a bit of a pain. I agree that gym and office won't work in the same space, so garage becomes home gym and workshop (Oly squat rack, DL space for the former, generic workbench with tool and material storage for the latter).

I'm thinking that the 9 X 9 space would work and will check out that link posted earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I swear to loving Christ the whole concept of he-sheds and she-sheds and man caves and whatever the gently caress are the most goddamn ridiculous things ever. Even the loving NAMES make me want to puke. "She-shed." Are you loving kidding me? "I need a place with fairy lights and and big fluffy floor poufs and organza covering every square inch of surface, just like the playhouse I always wanted growing up but never got." It's like, you don't have enough room in that 4,000-sq ft McMansion to get the hell away from each other for a while, so you've gotta go build some poo poo out in the backyard? Jesus tits, could people get any more loving bourgeois?

Here's an idea: buy a goddamn house with spaces you'll actually loving USE, instead of some oversized monstrosity that looks real pretty for a fake French villa but is absolutely inconvenient for however it is you want to live.

The absolute loving WASTE and GODDAMN WRETCHED EXCESS that is real estate in America drives me up the loving wall.