Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Nuts and Gum posted:

Am I the only one completely unable to beat 3-1? The ink status effects are brutal, and you can't ever move without someone taking a shot at you. Closet I've got was 2 left with just Luigi hiding out of range in a corner.

I guess I should try this respec'ing business.
It took me about 2 days to work out a strategy to beat 3-1. What finally worked was taking Luigi, Rabbid Luigi, Mario and re-speccing them to have the ability to clear status effects by jumping on your teammates head. Then I focused on playing back and did a withdrawing attack to stay out of their ranges to thin out their numbers. Once the second wave came in, they were bunched up so then I took long shots with Luigi in overwatch and rocket shots with Rabbid Luigi. I also re-specced to two overwatch shots for both Mario and Luigi. Another key was relying heavily on the raised platform for cover rather than destructible cover. . Once I figured out what I had to do, it was pretty by the numbers but getting to that point was ROUGH.

he1ixx fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
3-1 is killing me as well. Ink is brutal

Also I wish I could skip the pan around the camera does whenever you start a battle

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh poo poo 4-7 :aaaaa:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh my god gently caress ink, what a pain in the rear end mechanic

edit:

FIVE TURNS? loving HOW

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 5, 2017

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I really wish you could use move attacks on the large bosses. It hasn't really been an issue with Mario, rLuigi, rMario up until World 4. I'm sure I could have beaten 4-5 with that party, but it was much easier with others. And I think 4-9 will be same way.

Crap. I hate it when you can't change your team when you restart a battle. Guess I'm using this team to beat the game.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 5, 2017

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Jut beat the third boss. My, oh my... :allears:

Great Mighty Boo and his song is the best thing! He's also the most enjoyable of the bosses so far to fight against.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zore posted:

Nintendo is way more open to experimenting with Mario than any other property really. Peach has been playable in most of the platformers released over the last few years, and even stuff like Bowser being playable crops up semi regularly in the RPG entries like Mario+Luigi and Paper Mario.

And honestly a lot of series iteration and experimentation has been for the worse. Let's not forget Paper Mario post Thousand Year Door, the new Pikmin 3DS game that's a platformer, Federation Force, Metroid: Other M, Star Fox Adventures.... which were all attempts to move away from 'traditional' versions of the game.

Mario and Pokemon, and recently Zelda, are their only franchises big enough that they put out mainline games and a lot of weird/niche spinoffs. Some of which become huge and good (Mario Kart) while others flounder (Pokemon Conquest). Contrast it with, say, Donkey Kong where if you put out a weird and experimental title like Jungle Beat its literally the only Donkey Kong you get for like 8 years.

Fair enough on the rest of these, but what universe to you live in where Thousand Year Door is the bad Paper Mario game and not Sticker Star?!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Silver Falcon posted:

Fair enough on the rest of these, but what universe to you live in where Thousand Year Door is the bad Paper Mario game and not Sticker Star?!

Paper Mario post Thousand Year Door means "all the ones after Thousand Year Door" not including it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shyfted One posted:

Crap. I hate it when you can't change your team when you restart a battle. Guess I'm using this team to beat the game.

Unless there's something unique about that situation, I have been able to switch teams all the time, just going into prepare for battle and then into the battle HQ from there

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It doesn't work on World bosses, for some dumb reason. To change teams on those you have to quit the chapter and re-enter it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm super, super bad at this game. 2-2 was basically a suicide op for me. Kinda hoping that it's one of those games that actually ends up getting easier as you play, because drat I am not doing well.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

well why not posted:

I'm super, super bad at this game. 2-2 was basically a suicide op for me. Kinda hoping that it's one of those games that actually ends up getting easier as you play, because drat I am not doing well.

Upgrade your weapons.

Don't be afraid to change your character lineup and/or respec their skills. Both are free.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This game is great. It just really makes me wish that the framing story/overworld was something like Mario RPG and not the chill but simple puzzle game it is.

I beat world 1 and started on the challenges and 1-3 (or 4?) where you have to use the big guys' bounces to get to the end of the level in 1 turn took me an absurdly long time to get the sequencing right. To the point where I wonder if I overlooked some far easier way to do it.

al-azad posted:

Honestly I think this image is super important because Nintendo jealously guards their characters and maintains the status quo pretty hard but when another dev works on their properties you get stuff like Peach and Bowser as playable characters. I really want to see Zelda farmed out more because that's one series Nintendo is adamant about keeping traditional. Like Triforce heroes should've been Link, Ganon, and Zelda you have three loving triforce users with unique abilities and infinite possibilities to team them up (if one triforce hero dies you all die, go fight this greater evil) but it's three goddamn Links.

Don't forget that Hyrule Warriors was the best Warriors game in a long time. This trend of farming out their franchises owns imo.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Argue posted:

If I do badly in a level and perfect it in the washing machine later, do I get the coins that make up the difference? Or do I need to perfect it the first time through in order to get the most money? And if so, is there a way to roll back if I find out I went past the perfect turn count?

Unlike orbs, coins respawn and you get them every time you complete anything. If you really wanted to you could use the time machine to do 1-1 over and over forever until you buy all the weapons.

Which is to say, the only real reason to get "perfect" on an old level is for the sake of getting perfect; later levels will give you more coins regardless.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shyfted One posted:

You can in all but one battle, just hit "X" to prepare and then hit X again to go to the team/weapon/spec selection screen.

The one that you can't is a boss fight where if you "restart chapter" you're 3 steps away from where you get shot into the fight anyways.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Beat 4-9. It was actually really easy with my usual team because of the spawning enemies to get my health back up. Was off by 1 turn for the perfect though, which I could have had if I had something stronger than the stone Bworb on rLuigi.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

well why not posted:

I'm just guessing, but I would think anyone having trouble hasn't got the movement down yet. You need to be dashing into and jumping on everything every turn you can. So ideally for example with Mario, you dash into an enemy and use a teammate to jump onto another enemy and put yourself in position to either have a shot on another enemy and/or position yourself behind good cover. That process is going to vary from character to character, like Rabbid Peach can dash up to 4x enemies.

When you get the movement down you can do some really crazy stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/OSMUaDY.mp4

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

katkillad2 posted:

I'm just guessing, but I would think anyone having trouble hasn't got the movement down yet. You need to be dashing into and jumping on everything every turn you can. So ideally for example with Mario, you dash into an enemy and use a teammate to jump onto another enemy and put yourself in position to either have a shot on another enemy and/or position yourself behind good cover. That process is going to vary from character to character, like Rabbid Peach can dash up to 4x enemies.

When you get the movement down you can do some really crazy stuff.

Yeah this game is 90% "cheesing the fact that you can do massive amounts of extra damage during the movement phase", and getting people into positions that allows for that

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

I have yet to see this in game and it pisses me the hell off.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dizz posted:

I have yet to see this in game and it pisses me the hell off.

You're not worthy of the Luigi Dab then

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Macaluso posted:

edit:

FIVE TURNS? loving HOW

did you forget to give them cleansing jump?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It only took me a couple tries to perfect 3-1, those long distances were a pain for my current strategy of doing most of my damage through movement.

I did do all the challenges and secret chapters up to then, the power orbs from those probably helped

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Macaluso posted:

edit:

FIVE TURNS? loving HOW

Have you tried using Peach over Luigi? Her Shotgun and healing is insanely useful on that level since it makes the status clearing a lot better.

I think I did it in 4 turns with her and RLuigi

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Okay I've already decided.

Rabbid Yoshi is the best. I already loved him with how the boss squeezes him to make him puke out grenades and absolutely adored the animation where when the boss is on fire, he'll uses Rabbid Yoshi to stamp out the flames and it makes a rubber ducky squeak with each impact, but everything about him just makes him out to be a hyperactive toddler with a grenade launcher and Yoshi suit and it's fantastic.

Macaluso posted:

edit:

FIVE TURNS? loving HOW
Is this the challenge 3-1 or just the level 3-1? Because I barely remember it being any difficult. What is it? Is it just when they first introduce enemies teleporting around?

I'm been running Mario with skills spec into his overwatch ability and slap a bounce-effect gun on him. When he crits, his overwatch activates while the enemies are in midair and he gets some sweet airshots. It's been a pretty valuable tool most of my playthrough thus far.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There are so many maps where I forget that pipes are there and if you have a character leveled in pipe movement they can be positively broken

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are so many maps where I forget that pipes are there and if you have a character leveled in pipe movement they can be positively broken

I have a bad habit of forgetting that enemies are able to use them, too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Theta Zero posted:

Is this the challenge 3-1 or just the level 3-1? Because I barely remember it being any difficult. What is it? Is it just when they first introduce enemies teleporting around?

IIRC, 3-1 introduces Villain Sight with Ink

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Why the gently caress does Rabbid Luigi lose Vampire on his initial world 4 guns and replace it with Push? Everyone else has their elements stay consistent, and his were for the first 3 worlds.

:psyduck:

I think I might just stick with his world 3 stuff since inflicting Vampire from a distance is the only way I can get Luigi to survive.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

did you forget to give them cleansing jump?

No! I went with the tactic he1ixx posted! It just wasn't working out for me. In the end I had to basically sacrifice one of my guys (Luigi in this case) to use up the enemy's special attack so that Mario and rLuigi could finish the job.

Zore posted:

Have you tried using Peach over Luigi? Her Shotgun and healing is insanely useful on that level since it makes the status clearing a lot better.

I think I did it in 4 turns with her and RLuigi

I tried using Peach but I couldn't seem to make it work since her jump heal put her in the line of fire too much.

Theta Zero posted:

It was the big map with the statue in the middle, and all the guys could ink you and all of them had a special sight move. I just couldn't ever work out the positioning. I also had gotten so used to the more close quarter fighting with Rabbid Luigi and Mario with Luigi providing ranged support, this one didn't really allow for that too much.

I'm totally planning on coming back and redoing it at some point though. The game is fun enough that I'm totally down with replaying ones and trying to perfect everything. I should also probably go back and do some challenges and get me some gold and uh... orb things.

Rabbid Mario seems so interesting but I haven't used him enough yet. I absolutely love how ridiculous Peach's gun is

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Macaluso posted:

No! I went with the tactic he1ixx posted! It just wasn't working out for me. In the end I had to basically sacrifice one of my guys (Luigi in this case) to use up the enemy's special attack so that Mario and rLuigi could finish the job.

I tried using Peach but I couldn't seem to make it work since her jump heal put her in the line of fire too much.

It was the big map with the statue in the middle, and all the guys could ink you and all of them had a special sight move. I just couldn't ever work out the positioning. I also had gotten so used to the more close quarter fighting with Rabbid Luigi and Mario with Luigi providing ranged support, this one didn't really allow for that too much.

I'm totally planning on coming back and redoing it at some point though. The game is fun enough that I'm totally down with replaying ones and trying to perfect everything. I should also probably go back and do some challenges and get me some gold and uh... orb things.

Rabbid Mario seems so interesting but I haven't used him enough yet. I absolutely love how ridiculous Peach's gun is

Oh. I remember that.

I ran Rabbid Luigi, Peach, and Mario. I had Rabbid Luigi dash into things and tank the reaction shots, Mario stomp enemies, and Peach come in to heal and do crowd control. But there's a ton of options for you to counter them. You just a dedicated bullet sponge.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I've been doing everything 100%, got the first 3 worlds down and starting on world 4 tonight. Luigi is finally starting to show his weaknesses. Even with max life upgrades he can't take more than two hits from regular enemies. Had to switch him out with characters with more health to get the perfects.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

katkillad2 posted:

I've been doing everything 100%, got the first 3 worlds down and starting on world 4 tonight. Luigi is finally starting to show his weaknesses. Even with max life upgrades he can't take more than two hits from regular enemies. Had to switch him out with characters with more health to get the perfects.

Really? Luigi has been holding up for me, but he's map-dependent. I team jump him up to high ground with max height damage bonus and keep him on steely stare. Otherwise I make him hang back behind full cover. He's got a super long range so he can hang pretty far back.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Theta Zero posted:

Really? Luigi has been holding up for me, but he's map-dependent. I team jump him up to high ground with max height damage bonus and keep him on steely stare. Otherwise I make him hang back behind full cover. He's got a super long range so he can hang pretty far back.

Map dependent is probably a better way to describe it. I've pretty much been using him exclusively until world 4 where I've had to swap him out a few times.

Also I did it guys... I missed a 90% chance to crit.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Luigi can get RNG-hosed if you put him in a bad spot, but with RLuigi running around with 100% vamp he can full heal off a good sniper shot too, so until the actual endgame challenges I never ran into an issue with him.

That said I feel like I need to change things up significantly now, because the team I literally beat the entire game with of Mario/RLuigi/Luigi does not seem like it's going to be able to cut how much of a clusterfuck one or two of those last challenges are going to be. I've gotten close but not quite.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

If I overwatch with Yoshi and Mario on the first turn of the final boss it keeps crashing my game :smith:

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
This game rules, gets me giggling like a kid with the animations but the strategy is pretty robust.

It's pretty satisfying when you know it's the last move to complete a battle, I try to finish it with the most elaborate movement / kill sequence I can manage even if I could just pop them in the face. Are there style points?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Finished the story last night, I'm really glad people weren't turds with not using spoiler tags in the thread because there are some great things that happen.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Deltron 3030 posted:

.Are there style points?

There should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
things i like about the game so far (just got through the Buckler encounter)

-Mario's Hero Sight upgrades are cheap compared to other character's special upgrades
-Luigi hasn't dabbed yet
-Rabbids aren't as loud and frequently screaming as I thought they'd be
-Gameplay is great
-what the gently caress why did they make rabbid mario the best character in the game

things I don't like

-doesnt tell me what the turn limit to get a perfect is until i finish the encounter
-first boss sucked
-game keeps crashing on trying to start challenge 1-9
-every time i buy a weapon a newer, better one becomes available almost immediately, curse my lack of self control

• Locked thread