Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Well, this just happened:

Found out my NAS A/C plug melted...
What's the cheapest way to run a plex server these days?

Quoting so I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Motherfuckers.

So we setup our new accounting software with roles and permissions etc. There are people who do work for more than one company (we have...7?) and they can't be bothered to switch roles throughout the day. For example, someone might have these roles:

ABC inc
XYZ service co
MNO refurbishing

Now the way the software works, you can't have 1 role where you can do say, purchase orders for company 1, but not for company 2. You have to make 2 roles. Works great for 90% of our people who only work in one company.

So they want to combine all those companies and all the roles people use into this mega role so people that do work in more than one company have access to do anything in any company.

GOOD LUCK FUCKERS

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bob Morales posted:

Motherfuckers.

So we setup our new accounting software with roles and permissions etc. There are people who do work for more than one company (we have...7?) and they can't be bothered to switch roles throughout the day. For example, someone might have these roles:

ABC inc
XYZ service co
MNO refurbishing

Now the way the software works, you can't have 1 role where you can do say, purchase orders for company 1, but not for company 2. You have to make 2 roles. Works great for 90% of our people who only work in one company.

So they want to combine all those companies and all the roles people use into this mega role so people that do work in more than one company have access to do anything in any company.

GOOD LUCK FUCKERS

I hate it when the solution to "maintaining security profiles requires a bit of effort" is "give everyone access to everything". I had to fight against this attitude tooth and nail when I was admin for a workforce planning system. On the old version no one really knew how to deal with security profiles so everyone was set up as an admin. When we upgraded to the latest version, I was not a popular person when I started locking people down to just the stuff they actually needed. No, you can't change whether that schedule code counts as time when the agent should be logged into the phone system, because six other business units are using that code and if you gently caress with it it will gently caress with them. No, you can't have a new schedule code that has the name of each team in it so you can run reports and see how many hours each team has, run the reports using the team structure and it'll do it for you. DON'T JUST ASK FOR ADMIN ACCESS, TELL ME WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO DO SO I CAN ACTUALLY HELP YOU, YOU WALKING X Y PROBLEM.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The best part is the one manager says "You have to log out to switch roles it's such a hindrance to productivity!"

You don't have to log out. You just click up by your name and there's a drop down menu that you pick the other roles from:

Now, I will admit it's a little cumbersome because:

You can only be logged into one role at a time
Switching roles makes you lose your place of where you were
Your history and other settings are role-specific

But we can't just ignore permissions.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Separation of roles is so ingrained into the culture here that people would run screaming if I tried to give them "full access" to anything

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I used to work for a company that had an absolute poo poo ton of access roles, position access, and company access on their ERP system. Setting up new employees was a pain to begin with, setting up employees who needed access to multiple subsidiary companies was awkward, creating new roles was a nightmare. And to top of it off some of the subsidiary companies were competing with one another, so they would try to be sneaky and request access to financial details for the other subsidiaries and then pass it off as "oh the form was confusing so I just ticked a bunch of boxes, OOPS!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where I'm at we have a group of people trying to homebrew a new user database that includes the ability to assign roles. In some ways this is good, because account management has always been a giant issue due to a lot of shadow IT type implementations for various groups. So it's nice that people are thinking about it. But it got worse when word of the project started to spread, every random joe wanted to get in on it and request weird features (it needs an api! it needs to handle user preferences! different login shells for each system! a list of systems the user can log in to! and so on). Those conversations lasted almost 6 months before the core group realized it was spinning out of control and hit the brakes, kicked everyone out, and then published a limited scope of what they're willing to implement.

So they're smart people and will probably pull it off, but doing it from scratch on your own? So goddamn glad I got a 10 foot pole between me and it. It seems like one of those tasks where you want a purchased implementation with an actual support model.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well, time to pay the butcher's bill. Last week our entire synology hosed up and wiped everyone's permissions to everything. We sorted most of it, but the first ticket about missing permissions just came in, with rumours of more to follow.

We're gunna be dealing with this for aaaaaaages.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
A ticket came in:

User requested a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and network cable for "a computer" he had brought into his office. Knowing the answer already, I asked if it was a work or personal computer. It's a personal computer, and this was of course the first time we've heard about it.

We told him he needs to submit a form with its MAC address to another department to get some form of record/custodianship information in the system before it could touch the network and that we can't provide any level of support for it prior to that.

"But how do I get my MAC address without a monitor mouse and keyboard?"

I don't really know, that sounds hard. Maybe it's on the NIC. Maybe ask us before you bring a random device in to work? I'm sure we'll end up helping him because that's how things go here but I've got more important things in the interim. I really need to :yotj:.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A strange turn of events this morning. I'd written out a long post but there's not enough drama to support it.

Bottom line is the consultant talked to me this morning and said that he wants to "champion" me with the CEO so that we can finally sort out why he and my boss ignored me from the start, and if the relationship can be revived.

This man is not a listener so although he asked a couple of questions I knew he was not going to hear much beyond the first few words out of my mouth. That said it was an opportunity to drop the passivity I learned working for such dumb people and speak plainly. I mean, they're firing me. I have nothing to lose. I made it clear that if I worked for an actual operations person that would review and approve my strategy and then cut me loose to make it happen, it would. It's that simple. Talk to me, listen, agree and then get out of my goddamn way.

At the very least this could extend my time here while I look for a new job, maybe even by months.

EDIT: It was funny to be asked if I was fulfilled. When I laughed and said "No!" he explained that he figured I must be very unfulfilled but if so, what was keeping me coming to work? I told him that circumstances dictated that I become an expert in self-motivation, and that my professional principles drove me to do quality work even when completely unappreciated. Then I said "Imagine what I could accomplish here if I were fulfilled?"

Shitbirds.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

A strange turn of events this morning. I'd written out a long post but there's not enough drama to support it.

Bottom line is the consultant talked to me this morning and said that he wants to "champion" me with the CEO so that we can finally sort out why he and my boss ignored me from the start, and if the relationship can be revived.

This man is not a listener so although he asked a couple of questions I knew he was not going to hear much beyond the first few words out of my mouth. That said it was an opportunity to drop the passivity I learned working for such dumb people and speak plainly. I mean, they're firing me. I have nothing to lose. I made it clear that if I worked for an actual operations person that would review and approve my strategy and then cut me loose to make it happen, it would. It's that simple. Talk to me, listen, agree and then get out of my goddamn way.

At the very least this could extend my time here while I look for a new job, maybe even by months.

EDIT: It was funny to be asked if I was fulfilled. When I laughed and said "No!" he explained that he figured I must be very unfulfilled but if so, what was keeping me coming to work? I told him that circumstances dictated that I become an expert in self-motivation, and that my professional principles drove me to do quality work even when completely unappreciated. Then I said "Imagine what I could accomplish here if I were fulfilled?"

Shitbirds.

Glad to see that something positive happened? I think?

In other news, my god installing .cab files manually is a gigantic pain in the rear end. Getting 8 dell laptops ready to give to charity, and our Fog server we use for imaging windows machines is having some drive mounting woes.

For reference, in case anyone else needs to suffer through that:

https://www.1337admin.org/tutorials/manual-installation-of-a-dell-driver-pack-on-a-local-machine/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Well, this just happened:

Found out my NAS A/C plug melted...
What's the cheapest way to run a plex server these days?

Everyone in the Plex Megathread has different setups but the inexpensive Lenovo and Dell servers like the T30 or TS140 tend to be popular. They're 200-300 bucks for a pentium or i3, 400-500 with a quad core xeon.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

What if they didn't actually mean they wanted to fire you (based on that off-hand comment from last week or so)?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Glad to see that something positive happened? I think?

In other news, my god installing .cab files manually is a gigantic pain in the rear end. Getting 8 dell laptops ready to give to charity, and our Fog server we use for imaging windows machines is having some drive mounting woes.

For reference, in case anyone else needs to suffer through that:

https://www.1337admin.org/tutorials/manual-installation-of-a-dell-driver-pack-on-a-local-machine/

Stop using Fog.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rexxed posted:

Everyone in the Plex Megathread has different setups but the inexpensive Lenovo and Dell servers like the T30 or TS140 tend to be popular. They're 200-300 bucks for a pentium or i3, 400-500 with a quad core xeon.

Aren't those loud as hell? Oh, they appear to be desktops.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Fool posted:

Stop using Fog.

Soon. Soon we'll have MDT and SCCM.

Of course, that's been "soon" for a good few months now...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Soon. Soon we'll have MDT and SCCM.

Of course, that's been "soon" for a good few months now...

Are you not the person to setup MDT? Unless your images are extremely complex you could get it up and working in like a hour. The best part is setting it up and then moving it later is a breeze. You don't even need the sccm counterpart until you are ready for it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sickening posted:

Are you not the person to setup MDT? Unless your images are extremely complex you could get it up and working in like a hour. The best part is setting it up and then moving it later is a breeze. You don't even need the sccm counterpart until you are ready for it.

I wish! It'd be a fun project. We have a big team of 12 people though, and it's not mine, it belongs to one of our senior sysadmins. Who's great and smart, but workloads being what they are implementation of anything takes forever and a day.

Also I'm 21 and this is my first IT job, and I'm basically doing helpdesk plus some basic sysadmin/AD fuckery. So a tad above my experience level presently.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

I wish! It'd be a fun project. We have a big team of 12 people though, and it's not mine, it belongs to one of our senior sysadmins. Who's great and smart, but workloads being what they are implementation of anything takes forever and a day.

Also I'm 21 and this is my first IT job, and I'm basically doing helpdesk plus some basic sysadmin/AD fuckery. So a tad above my experience level presently.

Well, you are the perfect person to try it then. Seriously, the core of MDT is file living on a sharable location. No services installed, no constant uptime needed, its something your senior guy should have given you right away.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I stood it up at about your experience level. You can do deployments unicast and have the network discovery image saved on a USB boot stick so it'll never bother anyone and you don't need to get anyone's help to implement multicast or PXE. Just have to learn how to capture and save an image via sysprep and imagex/dism.

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/112/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management.aspx follow that guide to manage your drivers.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sickening posted:

Well, you are the perfect person to try it then. Seriously, the core of MDT is file living on a sharable location. No services installed, no constant uptime needed, its something your senior guy should have given you right away.

Took a longer look. This actually looks pretty fun and seems like something I could setup in a week or two just in my spare time in the office. Might pitch it to my manager because lordy would it make our lives simpler.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Jeoh posted:

What if they didn't actually mean they wanted to fire you (based on that off-hand comment from last week or so)?

I've been told at least three times over the last couple of years that I'm done, phrased in various ways by various people. It never turns into anything but this is not a situation I'm looking to turn around. gently caress these fuckers. The only reason I want to prolong my employment is to find another job while I'm still employed. That's it. There's no future at this dumb place.

EDIT: I should mention that during this meeting he talked disparagingly about the CEO's constant empty talk about systems systems systems and the futuristic things he envisions for our little dysfunctional company, and then said that "maybe before we go looking for someone else to deliver on these things we should be talking to you," meaning me. So he was admitting that they didn't even consider taking advantage of the guy that was already doing the goddamn job. Why has that changed? I don't think it matters because with these sort of people it could change again. And again. And again.

It sounds like a reprieve. Good! I am okay with continuing to get a paycheck from them. That works for me, especially since I've been feeling better about how I deal with these dumbshits.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 6, 2017

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been told at least three times over the last couple of years that I'm done, phrased in various ways by various people. It never turns into anything but this is not a situation I'm looking to turn around. gently caress these fuckers. The only reason I want to prolong my employment is to find another job while I'm still employed. That's it. There's no future at this dumb place.

EDIT: I should mention that during this meeting he talked disparagingly about the CEO's constant empty talk about systems systems systems and the futuristic things he envisions for our little dysfunctional company, and then said that "maybe before we go looking for someone else to deliver on these things we should be talking to you," meaning me. So he was admitting that they didn't even consider taking advantage of the guy that was already doing the goddamn job. Why has that changed? I don't think it matters because with these sort of people it could change again. And again. And again.

It sounds like a reprieve. Good! I am okay with continuing to get a paycheck from them. That works for me, especially since I've been feeling better about how I deal with these dumbshits.

Get back in your well.

But no, seriously dude it sounds like you've come to the right mental state of how to approach this job and the idiots that you have to work with, and loving good on ya for coming to that point and figuring out what you can actually get out of it (i.e. money while you look for a better job). Extremely heartwarming. :unsmith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Took a longer look. This actually looks pretty fun and seems like something I could setup in a week or two just in my spare time in the office. Might pitch it to my manager because lordy would it make our lives simpler.

At its heart, MDT is just a set of files and scripts in a shared folder. You are booting new computers you want to image into this by using a boot disk that MDT generates in these folders after configuration. Follow the guides. Ask questions in this thread if you like.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dick Trauma posted:

Why has that changed? I don't think it matters because with these sort of people it could change again. And again. And again..

Path of least resistance. Bill won't do your job and he'd rather deal with you than Bill.

Honestly it sounds like he's trying to point out to you that you have a lovely job in hopes that you quit. If you quit, Bill gets the workload and it's not the consultant's fault (he championed you, after all!).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

At its heart, MDT is just a set of files and scripts in a shared folder. You are booting new computers you want to image into this by using a boot disk that MDT generates in these folders after configuration. Follow the guides. Ask questions in this thread if you like.

As a newbie the hardest thing for me was getting a WinPE .ISO working and injecting the requisite network drivers, since I was capturing an image from a VMWare VM and VMWare doesn't provide WinPE drivers per se. If I remember right they're located on a VMware host (that has VMWare Tools installed) at C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Path of least resistance. Bill won't do your job and he'd rather deal with you than Bill.

Honestly it sounds like he's trying to point out to you that you have a lovely job in hopes that you quit. If you quit, Bill gets the workload and it's not the consultant's fault (he championed you, after all!).

One funny thing is he said that it's been his intention to become the head of operations but that he was losing hope that it was ever going to happen. He kept saying that he was down to a 51/49 split as to whether any of his many recommendations would be accepted by the CEO.

Poor baby.

Just dropped $2900 ordering his new MBP. What are the odds that they let him keep it if he doesn't come on staff? 80/20?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sickening posted:

Just to make sure I'm not completely insane. If we're buying PCs\Laptops preloaded with Windows 7 with no VLK\MAK, it's just better to use some home built scripts to get things ready?

I remember OEM keys being not the actual ones listed on the sticker but maybe I'm remembering wrong or I was always wrong about that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Just to make sure I'm not completely insane. If we're buying PCs\Laptops preloaded with Windows 7 with no VLK\MAK, it's just better to use some home built scripts to get things ready?

I remember OEM keys being not the actual ones listed on the sticker but maybe I'm remembering wrong or I was always wrong about that.

You can enter the key before or after deployment. Perfect for individual licensed systems.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rexxed posted:

This looks interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B06XQ73MYG/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I can throw ubuntu on there, use it for Plex, NAS, and a couple VMs that I need anyways.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think you have imaging rights unless you have a volume license in place. In reality I'm not sure how anybody would be able to check that you installed from MDT rather than recovery media, and I'm pretty convinced that no court would take it seriously - but you don't want to be the person to test that.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think you have imaging rights unless you have a volume license in place. In reality I'm not sure how anybody would be able to check that you installed from MDT rather than recovery media, and I'm pretty convinced that no court would take it seriously - but you don't want to be the person to test that.

Sadly, I think the cleanest way licensing wise is to just run a bunch of powershell scripts that rip out OEM BS and install common apps and drivers. :sigh:

I've been barking up the Volume license tree since I got here in March but a previous admin screwed the pooch and it's gonna be difficult to get them to agree to funding much else until it's a no choice time to upgrade.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Continuing telecom drama:

CenturyLink finally installed the physical line and demarc in the building. Only 8 days past the scheduled day! DSL will be installed "tomorrow". Called to add phone services, took them 51 minutes to place that order. That is supposed to be installed "Monday".

And yes, we still use POTS lines....

It was basically a race to see who could get installed first. CenturyLink won. Spectrum on the other hand, despite supposedly getting permits a month ago, has yet to even start construction. We will be telling them to kindly gently caress off. They have dicked us around since June.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Rexxed posted:

I would add to this that the MicroATX Poweredges have somewhat frequent sales direct from Dell - I got a T20 with the E3-1225v3 for $250 earlier this year, and last year I remember seeing the Pentium T20 model for $180 at least a couple times. I've seen similar (though not quite as deep) sales for the T30 since; it looks like their Labor Day sale had the Xeon T30 at $360 for a while, though not at this point. If you're inclined towards getting things at the lowest price you can instead of ASAP, you may want to wait and watch that model.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 6, 2017

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Shitbirds.

My gut read hearing this story:

The consultant is sounding you out to jump ship.

Imagine the irony at working for the consultant replacing you, given the freedom to implement their systems, and at a pay raise too?

Ask if he has any openings. But in actuality, other job site for the win.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Dick, you sound like you have a huge chip on your shoulder.

Every time you've described someone at your workplace, you've said either "So and so said nothing to me, so they must be really thinking X" or "I overheard so and so in the other room saying Y, which must mean X." Stop trying to divine what other people are thinking. If they didn't say it to your face, it didn't happen. You're not a mind reader, and you shouldn't be expected to be one. If they fire you, you can honestly say that they never clearly told you what they expected of you.

I say that from a place of experience. I had a similar job, where I was expected to do anything and everything with no budget, no help, no forewarning and no support. It's a terrible place to be. But the worst possible thing you can do is make up in your head what you think everyone else is thinking but not telling you. It's a bad, bad place to be and only makes a bad situation worse.

you can't foresee what you should do if no one is talking, so don't try. Do what you were told, document everything, and go home with a clear conscience.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ask me about a VP asking for something that would take at least a day within 3 hours, because everyone is for some reason convinced I can do it in one.

Ask me about a single macro out of 4-5 taking most of an hour by itself.

Ask me about needing to get seven of these fuckers done by the end of Wednesday next week, including spending a couple hours (at this point) on updating the two or three I will have by the end of this week.

Ask me about people complaining how our excel reports are too big when they haven't given us a single bit of time to do it right, which means we've got about 45,000 rows in this workbook, with about half of the rows having over 50 columns.

At least they accepted my answer of "There's no way I'm getting that done in time, but I can get you what I've been working on instead."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

stevewm posted:

It was basically a race to see who could get installed first. CenturyLink won. Spectrum on the other hand, despite supposedly getting permits a month ago, has yet to even start construction. We will be telling them to kindly gently caress off. They have dicked us around since June.

Wait until the CenturyLink connection is up and tested before telling Spectrum to go pound sand. Slow and steady might win the race CL still might gently caress up.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Coworker asks if I can help him track down some printers at one of our largest branches. I said sure, I can fit that in around some stuff, just as long as I get some IP addresses. I get time today and take a look at the spreadsheet he sent over.

It has 61 printers, all of these are spread across 2 buildings and over 7 different switches. While on a conference call, I collect the mac addresses and see how long it will take to track down a single one.

I start with the first switch at the location and the first printer on the list. I look in the mac address table and find that its not local, its on an interface going to another switch. Jump in that switch, still not local, go down another uplink. Finally find it.
Next printer takes even more hops to find.
I think I'll just copy all the address tables, stick them in a spreadsheet and tell them good luck.

This location has 200ish people, so thats a little over 3 people per printer. Which is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:fork: