Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i meant it in a nice way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

the old ceremony posted:

i meant it in a nice way

it was taken as the highest compliment

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
HOW THE gently caress DO YOU STORY?

Almost every thing I've written has been just an idea, some scenario, situation that, at first, I thought could make a passable story.

- Guy discovers time travel.
- Woman finds out she's a ghost
- There's a superhero with stupid powers
- something/someone that does something.

Add the standard story requirement:
1. Your main character needs something
2. Someone or something is in the way

ANY THING I DO ends up feeling forced, cliche, predictable, and/or done to death already.

And don't forget the twist! Is that all we're doing as writers? Putting a person on a path of desire, blocking that path, add a twist where person learns/changes?

Last week I researched "tell a better story" and it's all about characters. If your story feels flat, it's probably weak characters. When I try adding wants/needs/quirks into characters, it reads like I'm just forcing things, painting by numbers.

Am I being self-defeating so I won't have to sit down and actually write? I assumed as much over the weekend, so I quit lollygagging and wrote the worst turd of my life for this week's Thunderdome. "BUT AT LEAST YOU'VE SHUT UP AND YOU'RE WRITING" I told myself. And I forced myself to finish - or to come up with an ending. And it sucked and it was forced. I left it alone for awhile instead of pushing words around. I came back to it, I tried > character flaws, a countdown to danger, a twist... and it all was just more poo poo barbecue sauce on a poo poo muffin.

here's my question:When YOU start with your lump of clay, no story, no characters, just a blank page, how the HELL do you get from nothing to a thing that doesn't feel blandly cookie-cutter, or too impossible to work?

It's killing me. I want to write words. I want to write crafty descriptions, multi-dimensional believable characters, unexpected twists and emotional rollercoasters, but I end up with poo poo sandwich on a filthy re-used paper plate.

And yes, I'll start off the suggestions with:
- shut up and write
- read more stories

I read more stories -- other Thunderdome stories that were pulled out of thin air in just a week, and wonder, "what in the loving hell how did they even think that poo poo up from a blank page 7 days ago?" (I'm looking at you, Captain_Indigo holy poo poo.)

How do I story better?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Well I mean, at least you get what you're supposed to be doing re: story structure. As for making likable characters, just try to think of people you like and why do you like them? You have to think of characters as more than just a plot device to achieve/do something. They're PEOPLE who want things and have a whole history that has led them up unto the beginning of your story. You mention character flaws, which is one of the big ones, but instead of thinking of a flaw as "this thing i am directly addressing in this story" think of it as "this thing that has plagued this person their whole loving life and it's just who they are now." Then you tell the story through that lens. But don't make them mopey jesus christ. Just because people have flaws doesn't mean they whine about it the whole story. people like characters with flaws because of how they succeed and persist IN SPITE of those flaws, not because of them.

I think I've enjoyed a modicum of success in TD because I don't really have a plot in mind, usually. I just think of something that I'd like to write about, then throw a character at it. Most of the time I think "man, i have a great plot idea" it ends up falling flat (probably because it feels forced). almost nobody ends up where they thought they'd end up, because life throws shitloads of problems at you and you have to make choices. same with your characters. so depending on what type of character you're trying to write, they'll react to challenges in different ways. if you already think you know HOW the challenge will be overcome, then you're not really allowing any room for a character to develop, you're just writing a plot summary with some pronouns stuck in it.

I'd suggest writing little character vignettes for a little bit. Just make up a dude and throw stuff at him to see how he'll react. think "how would somebody I know handle this? how would I handle this? what is a way this has been handled in other stories, and can i play with that?"

also twists suck. the ending should be telegraphed out so that when it happens the person says "of course it ends this way" even though (hopefully) they didn't think of it because they were too busy just enjoying the ride.

also make your characters humble because cocky know it alls are annoying. the only cocky know it alls that are entertaining either have a shitload of charm or get shown to be wrong and accept it (humble again)

crabrock fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 6, 2017

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
This isn't really advice, but when I write a story I start with an emotion or image that is evocative for me personally. Often this involves mining my life experiences for material, just to have that kernel of realism at the core of the piece. My primary goal, even before thinking about the shape of the story itself, is to figure out how to make the reader feel the thing I feel (inasmuch as that's possible).

Once I have that, I take the more formulaic approach you're talking about, creating a character and giving them hopes, fears, and desires, etc

twists are not necessary, and not all sharp turns in the plot are "twists"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
A lot of it just has to do with skill. Authors who can pull stuff out of thin air can do it because they have a lot of practice pulling stuff out of thin air and thus have developed a knack for it.

1) I would recommend you figure out what kind of stories you're good at writing. That doesn't mean you can't write other kind of stories but if you should develop what you're good at first so that you have something firm to stand on when you tackle more difficult ideas or subjects. There's no shame in starting out as a comedy writer even if you want to write grim hardboiled detective stories.

2) Everyone has lovely ideas, I promise. Every single person who has put words down knows the feeling of only spitting up flat characters, bad and cliched plots, and the frustration of not being able to come up with something that is interesting, even if it is only interesting to you.

The idea is that if you come up with enough bad ideas eventually you'll come up with something good. This is known as statistics.

I recommend a daily writing journal for you to write ideas into. Write as many ideas as you can. Review the previous entries when you start a new day so that you don't repeat yourself. This will force your brain to come up with something new after you have gone to the trouble of making your ideas concrete. This will be an infuriating stop-start process.

3) When you're not so frustrated, take one of those lovely ideas or bad characters. Start thinking of ways to modify them to make them interesting, even if you have to crib ideas from other authors or stories. "This character would be more interesting if s/he had super strength like Superman/Wonder Woman. This plot would be better if the parents died tragically. This would be cooler if the character turned into a dragon." is a valid writing exercise. Once you are used to building up bad things into good things then you will have a much better understanding of how to create.

Do not show anyone the results of these exercises. They are strictly for your personal enrichment. This is to find out what you like and what you are good at.

I recommend you do this for a month, and then go back to the well and try to come up with something original. See if anything changes the results of your characters or plots or whatever.

4) Do not try to write something you think you should be writing or that you think should be cool or what you perceive to be "adult" or "mature." Write what you want and pursue your interests. This may be silly romcoms or it may be horror stories involving cannibals. Only you can know and you can only know if you pursue what you want to see more of.

In short:
write what you like
don't be afraid to steal from people who are better at this then you, because you will learn a lot by copying them. just don't publish it, savvy?
write what you like
just because something may seem stupid or bad to you now doesn't mean it has to stay that way
write what you like
keep a daily writing journal
write what you like

HIJK fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 6, 2017

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

magnificent7 posted:

It's killing me. I want to write words. I want to write crafty descriptions, multi-dimensional believable characters, unexpected twists and emotional rollercoasters, but I end up with poo poo sandwich on a filthy re-used paper plate.

i think this is the main issue. it isnt that youre writing bad, which happens we all write bad, it's that youre putting too many expectations on yourself. you cant just expect to pick up a pencil and write these engaging stories w/o a lot of experience. it takes time and effort. one analogy i liked from an author (forgot her name) is that writing is like driving. when you first start driving, youre so focused on what youre hands and feet are doing, you cant listen to music or talk to people in the car. once you get more experience, though, those things get more natural and you can listen or talk without thinking about your feet. its the same thing with writing. you have to learn and get comfortable with writing good sentences, developing characters, creating good plots, etc. and it doesn't happen all on its own, nor is all of the pieces going to be mastered at once. you have to build yourself up, and once you can write strong sentences you can then focus on the next thing, like characters. it takes time and practice. keep working on it, but dont expect to create a masterpiece immediately. its okay to fail at what youre trying to do, because it teaches you how not to do it. eventually, with all those gently caress ups, you realize how to actually do what youre trying to do.

w/r/t to ideas, i like to think the brain is front loaded with bad ideas. as in, when you get a prompt, your brain is equipped to solve it, but usually in the most simple, efficient way. the issue with writing fiction is that the most obvious interpretation is usually the most boring. however, i still find a lot of value in writing or brainstorming those bad boring ideas, because it gets those ideas out of your head. it also gives your brain a new problem -- whats a better idea than this stupid poo poo? and sometimes, it works out and you can get something really cool because your brain takes leaps from that basic, boring idea. (sometimes it doesnt work but thats okay). i know sebmojo does a similar thing where he takes the most obvious interpretation and then changes it until it gets more interesting, but my method mostly involves deleting that rough draft and starting a new thing entirely. different strokes, but it can help.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I get story ideas from different things. Sometimes it's questions like why is necromancy always bad? What if the police used it to find killers? Sometimes it's little things that I find interesting. I jot them down in an idea list (what's known as a commonplace book, actually) and let them simmer and then I pull from it if something strikes me. Here's a little chunk:
code:
key gun
corvid
number station
witchghosts/witcheaters/witchmen
alien hand syndrome
"spiderweb" dreamcatcher sunglasses
two ambulances, one in an alley, lights flashing
Sometimes I come up with something for them, and sometimes I don't. That's fine.

Let's go back to the first idea I mentioned about police necromancers. That's all very good but where's the conflict? If you can just talk to the dead to see who killed them, where's the struggle to find a killer? Well, what if something makes it so that they can't do their job? From there I ironed out the details of what they could do, and something from my idea list (a typo someone made that stuck with me: "mindbottling") created the conflict: someone is killing people and making their minds inaccessible to be read. Tada!

Figure out a neat world and throw a wrench in it. Write down things that create interest in you from everywhere- wikipedia articles, things you see in real life, things you see in dreams, typos that catch your attention. Look through it every now and then and see if something strikes your fancy. Don't just read; find new things. Watch movies you wouldn't normally watch, look at new hobbies, play different games. It's all material for the mindgrinder.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CantDecideOnAName posted:

I get story ideas from different things. Sometimes it's questions like why is necromancy always bad? What if the police used it to find killers? Sometimes it's little things that I find interesting. I jot them down in an idea list (what's known as a commonplace book, actually) and let them simmer and then I pull from it if something strikes me. Here's a little chunk:
code:
key gun
corvid
number station
witchghosts/witcheaters/witchmen
alien hand syndrome
"spiderweb" dreamcatcher sunglasses
two ambulances, one in an alley, lights flashing
Sometimes I come up with something for them, and sometimes I don't. That's fine.

Let's go back to the first idea I mentioned about police necromancers. That's all very good but where's the conflict? If you can just talk to the dead to see who killed them, where's the struggle to find a killer? Well, what if something makes it so that they can't do their job? From there I ironed out the details of what they could do, and something from my idea list (a typo someone made that stuck with me: "mindbottling") created the conflict: someone is killing people and making their minds inaccessible to be read. Tada!

Figure out a neat world and throw a wrench in it. Write down things that create interest in you from everywhere- wikipedia articles, things you see in real life, things you see in dreams, typos that catch your attention. Look through it every now and then and see if something strikes your fancy. Don't just read; find new things. Watch movies you wouldn't normally watch, look at new hobbies, play different games. It's all material for the mindgrinder.

I'm in the same spot as you magnificent7 and I've found this ^^^^ to be immensely helpful. I keep a small notebook on me at all times and it's become my commonplace book. Any time I have an idea that in any way intrigues me, even if I literally go "Hey what if-- nope, that's bad" I'll still jot it down. I think there's a certain amount of conditioning you can do where you "train" yourself to trust your imagination. If you treat the ideas you come up with as worthwhile, eventually you'll start to get out of your own way. You'll still have terrible ideas, but the balance does seem to shift towards less-terrible ones. It did for me, anyway, after a couple of months of carrying around the notebook.

I will also do what HIJK said above too, I'll occasionally just grab one of those ideas and write about it. Not with any purpose in mind, just a quick sequence of events, or a scene, or even a bit of description. I find that writing down whatever comes to me relieves a lot of the pressure to perform, and my writing tends to loosen up and feel more natural as a result.

Also, get bored. Seriously, this has been a revelation for me, as someone who is chronically over-connected to the internet. I have a habit of constantly being online or having music or movies on or whatever, and when I forced myself to just leave everything off and re-experience boredom, gradually my imagination kind of woke up and I'd land on some interesting story ideas. I think our modern tendency to stay constantly stimulated is kind of a detriment for creative work.

Edit: though I should qualify, I'm still very very new to writing myself so this is all super-anecdotal.

Also I've hit some weird point in my writing where the English language just seems to stop functioning in my brain. You know where you say a word too many times and it kind of loses all meaning for a while? I feel like that's me lately, all the time, with every word.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Maybe just be bad at writing for a while? You seem to be taking DM's and losses as Very Serious Things, and while its good that you want to get better it's not-so-good if you go overboard trying to be good right now and burn out. I can't help but see your recent loss as an over-reaction to the DMing story we discussed. One was very minimal with few characters, the other was full of dialogue and stuff happening and went very much overboard.

That's not gonna move you closer to being good, if you entirely throw up your hands and start over each time. Try to extract something you liked from that loss and try to carry that to your next story. Try not to worry too much about winning or losing. Just give yourself some breathing room to experiment in. It takes time.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
my early dms and losses helped me as a writer a lot more than any of my hms and wins.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
I should probably get back into TD, it's been a long time. I had to quit because the kayfabe got into my head and really messed with me.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

CantDecideOnAName posted:

I should probably get back into TD, it's been a long time. I had to quit because the kayfabe got into my head and really messed with me.

imagine the im permabanned poster fyad post but w/ kayfabe instead of irony im too lazy to do that

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i came up with my current book entirely by going "i want to use this plot element that i really liked in a completely different manner" from a comic i read lol

idk, plotting is like, easy? its just fixing poo poo thats hard... and when you realize there's a problem when you're still writing, i like to fix it before i move forward, that paralyzes me a lot.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
td taught me that a huge element of writing success is entirely due to luck and mood

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thank you ALL for your incredible input. I'll commit to two of those immediately:
- take notes on anything interesting, just put it into my writer spank bank.
- lose lofty aspirations, just write every day, character studies, situations, anything to get the dust out of my brain. I'm so stuck to "write better than you wrote three years ago, or don't write at all."

Which, speaking of...

flerp posted:

my early dms and losses helped me as a writer a lot more than any of my hms and wins.
Haha well, my first DM was 4 years ago. I tried again, sucked again, and swore I'd never post my work alongside a bunch of high brow smarty arty writers ever again. 8 months later, I returned, sucked, slinked away, repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

This would be my (4th, 5th?) attempt to return to TD despite my butt hurt feelings. I've been sitting on the Worlds Greatest Genre Redefining Novel for two years now, having already donated 80,000+ words to a tale of Uninteresting People Reacting To Mildly Strange Things in a Slightly Weird Place.

Time to do more and then, hopefully, do better.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My biggest problem is, I'm not sure if people are really going to like it or not.

The story I ahve in my head is one I've had for loving ever- and not just one I've been world building on or some such.

I've been trying to get it made in comic format but that's exceedingly difficult as just a writer. So I switched gears recently after some revelations and am just writing it out in novel format.

I want it to be a sci fi novel series, each one about 300 to 500 pages, that I, once I get going, release a new one every 4 months.

I just don't know if it'll have an audience beyond myself. I genuinely do not know how it's going to grab other people who aren't me because it's such second nature to my own thought process that I cannot fairly judge it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Burkion posted:

My biggest problem is, I'm not sure if people are really going to like it or not.

The story I ahve in my head is one I've had for loving ever- and not just one I've been world building on or some such.

I've been trying to get it made in comic format but that's exceedingly difficult as just a writer. So I switched gears recently after some revelations and am just writing it out in novel format.

I want it to be a sci fi novel series, each one about 300 to 500 pages, that I, once I get going, release a new one every 4 months.

I just don't know if it'll have an audience beyond myself. I genuinely do not know how it's going to grab other people who aren't me because it's such second nature to my own thought process that I cannot fairly judge it.

That's what beta readers are for. I've been one for a couple of writer acquaintances and it seems like it's hugely helpful to get feedback on your novels that way.

But please, dear god, do a revision or two and have someone proofread before you put anything in the hands of beta readers. Constant spelling mistakes or glaring grammatical errors will kill their experience and some people (myself included) have a hard time offering substantive feedback because they get so fixated on mechanical problems.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

magnificent7 posted:

Haha well, my first DM was 4 years ago. I tried again, sucked again, and swore I'd never post my work alongside a bunch of high brow smarty arty writers ever again. 8 months later, I returned, sucked, slinked away, repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Are we even talking about the same Thunderdome????

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?

flerp posted:

imagine the im permabanned poster fyad post but w/ kayfabe instead of irony im too lazy to do that

It's too easy to imagine everyone else hates you when you hate yourself. :smith:

Also magnificent7, you've had that avatar for as long as I can remember. Was that four years ago? Yikes.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Can we please just get Beyond Thunderdome?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Oh indeed we are.
First DM was 5/1/2013. It's tattooed on my ankle.

All-in-all, 4 losses, 2 dishonorable mentions. But it's spread out over 4 years, so I got that going for me.

Now excuse me I'm going to go write some poo poo.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I was referring to the high brow arty smarty part

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
idk man poo poo geyser is p high brow

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Uninteresting People Reacting To Mildly Strange Things in a Slightly Weird Place:

A Love Story.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

magnificent7 posted:

Why do you care about what others think? I came here to post terrible urban fantasy stories and I like it. After posting I put on Linkin Park and read through the crits. My story crits came off with "Learn how to grammar better than an 11-year-old" (And a ton of other advice thank you!) so that's what I'll focus on in the next story I write.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

magnificent7 posted:

Thank you ALL for your incredible input. I'll commit to two of those immediately:
- take notes on anything interesting, just put it into my writer spank bank.
- lose lofty aspirations, just write every day, character studies, situations, anything to get the dust out of my brain. I'm so stuck to "write better than you wrote three years ago, or don't write at all."

Which, speaking of...

This would be my (4th, 5th?) attempt to return to TD despite my butt hurt feelings. I've been sitting on the Worlds Greatest Genre Redefining Novel for two years now, having already donated 80,000+ words to a tale of Uninteresting People Reacting To Mildly Strange Things in a Slightly Weird Place.

Time to do more and then, hopefully, do better.

FWIW I know how you feel and it's a really frustrating cycle to know what you want but still being unable to reach it. This Ira Glass quote really helps me when I get down in the dumps:

quote:

What nobody tells people who are beginners — and I really wish someone had told this to me . . . is that all of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, and it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not.

But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase. They quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know it’s normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story.

It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

HIJK posted:

FWIW I know how you feel and it's a really frustrating cycle to know what you want but still being unable to reach it. This Ira Glass quote really helps me when I get down in the dumps:

thats a lot of words for "write more"

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

magnificent7 posted:

Last week I researched "tell a better story" and it's all about characters. If your story feels flat, it's probably weak characters. When I try adding wants/needs/quirks into characters, it reads like I'm just forcing things, painting by numbers.

Try reading more non-genre fiction that relies almost exclusively on character to make the story interesting, and pay attention to the details the writer uses to flesh their characters out. I also copy out story passages when they grab me, to try to steal their mojo, and write down my own experiences as well, to later mine for character details. That's what I've been doing, for a few years, and it's now way easier for me to figure out how my characters would react to something strange (in an SF setting) without feeling forced or predictable.

It's not enough to figure out character drives and flaws. What about all the seemingly inconsequential things they like or dislike, have strong (possibly stupid) opinions on, and so on? Lumping those things into a list of "quirks" isn't enough—if you stop there, it's definitely going to come off as forced. If your character is, say, really into pink or some poo poo, coming up with deep-seated reasons for their stupid color obsession (that has little bearing on the plot, but is still essential character detail) is part of the fun of writing.

I've been sadly disappointed by a lot of contemporary SF because the plots clip along so fast I'm not given any time to get to know the characters enough to give a poo poo. It's like their editors are too eager to hack the story to the bone, cutting every detail that doesn't service the plot. The last book I read like that, I knew exactly what I was supposed to be feeling in every scene, but wasn't actually feeling it. There wasn't enough breathing room for me to find a place to land and settle into the story, so I ended up hovering above it a passive observer with no emotional stakes in what I was reading.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 6, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

anime was right posted:

Then go out and write more and stop wasting time here.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anime was right posted:

HIJK posted:

Then go out and write more and stop wasting time here.

This is a good discussion, don't poop in it plz.

Mag7 i think music can be a good analogy. You have talented multi instrumentalists who can pick up anything and make it sing but can't make their own music, hard working plodders who practice for years and know all the theory but can't improvise, drummers and bassists who can sit in the pocket all day long but won't play faster than a walk. They're all musicians and they can all be good, but they won't all be good in the same way.

Tdome examples are Mercedes, who has a particular vein of high octane craziness that's not smarty farty literary but still heaps of fun to read. Or Chairchucker, who's written lots of stories in a similar sort of style but gets a bit better with each one.

With your most recent tdome story (which I'll crit for you) I was pretty invested in the dadchat, and I was sad you gave up. Sympathetic too, because getting to the end of my flerpbrawl nearly broke my brain. It can help to write the end of the story if you're stuck on the beginning.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Exmond posted:

Why do you care about what others think?
It gives me wood.

Stuporstar posted:

GREAT POINT about read stuff other than just what I wanna write.
Great point, and I see what you mean. Thanks.

sebmojo posted:

With your most recent tdome story (which I'll crit for you) I was pretty invested in the dadchat, and I was sad you gave up.

Please - don't crit it. It was bad, it's not worth the crit effort. I appreciate it - I do - but I'll save that for something else that I feel deserves your time.

I researched the poo poo out of the Tardigrade, went into a rabbit-hole over that useless crap, tried to purge it from my head by writing the superhero description, then added the kid-dad story around it, and exactly like you've said, gave up, instead of finding whatever the hell it could have been.

I think that happens too often - I throw up my hands, "'welp, this is poo poo." So - yeah. Gonna start writing poo poo to get to the other side, just to break through that surrender moment. And stop trying to map the tale from start to finish. Let things happen, see where that goes.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 7, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

magnificent7 posted:

Please - don't crit it. It was bad, it's not worth the crit effort. I appreciate it - I do - but I'll save that for something else that I feel deserves your time.

I researched the poo poo out of the Tardigrade, went into a rabbit-hole over that useless crap, tried to purge it from my head by writing the superhero description, then added the kid-dad story around it, and exactly like you've said, gave up, instead of finding whatever the hell it could have been.

I think that happens too often - I throw up my hands, "'welp, this is poo poo." So - yeah. Gonna start writing poo poo to get to the other side, just to break through that surrender moment. And stop trying to map the tale from start to finish. Let things happen, see where that goes.

I think that's a good idea. FWIW I barely ever map stories - I might break it up into 2-300 word chunks but that only works sometimes.

a good aphorism is that you can only do two things with art - give people what they expect, or what they don't expect. It's up to you to decide which at any given time.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

magnificent7 posted:

HOW THE gently caress DO YOU STORY?

Almost every thing I've written has been just an idea, some scenario, situation that, at first, I thought could make a passable story.

- Guy discovers time travel.
- Woman finds out she's a ghost
- There's a superhero with stupid powers
- something/someone that does something.

Add the standard story requirement:
1. Your main character needs something
2. Someone or something is in the way

ANY THING I DO ends up feeling forced, cliche, predictable, and/or done to death already.

And don't forget the twist! Is that all we're doing as writers? Putting a person on a path of desire, blocking that path, add a twist where person learns/changes?

Let's just go one step further in basic story here: #1 is usually written as 'wants' rather than needs, and for a good reason. Because where you'll often want to end up with, especially in a very short piece, is

3. Main character gets the opportunity to get what they want, at a high price.
4. Main character realizes that also want/need something they can't have if they pay that price
5. They make their choice and receive the consequences.

It's not exactly a twist, but if you can make the decision and decider interesting enough to not be forgone, you've beaten the predictability problem.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thranguy posted:

Let's just go one step further in basic story here: #1 is usually written as 'wants' rather than needs, and for a good reason. Because where you'll often want to end up with, especially in a very short piece, is

3. Main character gets the opportunity to get what they want, at a high price.
4. Main character realizes that also want/need something they can't have if they pay that price
5. They make their choice and receive the consequences.

It's not exactly a twist, but if you can make the decision and decider interesting enough to not be forgone, you've beaten the predictability problem.

You guys have given me so much fantastic info thank you all. At some later date I want to assemble all of this, condense it and re-post in here. I just started to do it, then realized "oh hay I'm putting off writing stfu and go do writing."

Some later time I'll do it. I firmly believe there's a special magic to putting a story into < 1500 words. Y'alls input really help. Helps. Did help.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

magnificent7 posted:

You guys have given me so much fantastic info thank you all. At some later date I want to assemble all of this, condense it and re-post in here. I just started to do it, then realized "oh hay I'm putting off writing stfu and go do writing."

Some later time I'll do it. I firmly believe there's a special magic to putting a story into < 1500 words. Y'alls input really help. Helps. Did help.

relatedly, I've let my long walk monthly fiction :toxx: thread lapse, is there anyone who'd still find it useful?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

sebmojo posted:

relatedly, I've let my long walk monthly fiction :toxx: thread lapse, is there anyone who'd still find it useful?

I would find it useful, didn't really know there was anything like it, honestly. I tend to work well with external motivation, and I've never :toxx:'ed for anything before because I'm a lame person, might be time to start failin'.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
There are rules to fiction, which is a lie.

Every formula you'll ever read, or piece of advice you'll ever receive, is something that generally works a fair amount of the time for some people. They're guidelines. If you try to force your fiction into them, it can come out forced.

I tend to think of writing as more like when schoolkids doodle in their books and turn pictures of Washington into a Japanese schoolgirl or something. Start with a kernel of an idea, then think about what you want to make that idea into. Chew on it for a while. So cops can bring people back from the dead to interrogate them. How does that affect the wider world? What other professions could use that ability? Lawyers, historians, reporters, funeral directors, insurance agents even, just for a start. There's be a gigantic body of law around it. Charlatans would abound. Licensing would be an issue. Can it be done with a snap of the fingers, or is it a whole ritual? If it's expensive or difficult, there would be a disparity between classes in how useful it could be. Necromancy could be a freelance field: Jake Dancer, Private Deadeye. Fifty dollars a corpse, plus expenses.

As for characters, what works for me is to give them traits they need to make the story go (usually on the curious-staid/timid-adventurous axes), then add one big personality trait on top of that. "Cynical." "Nervous." "Serious." "Gruff." "Facile." "Kinda stupid." "Forever the center of attention." "Status conscious." Just one big hook to hang them on. If they're anything other than background characters, add a "but" condition. "Serious, but childish around pets." "Gruff but selfless." If they're main characters, give them as many extra traits and conditions as you want to write about.

And you have to want to write about them. You need to be endlessly curious about what happens to these people and have a deep-seated need to see how it all winds up. Because if you aren't, if you get bored halfway through, that will probably be blindingly obvious to the reader. You don't have to like the characters. If you're writing about Captain Unredeemable Shithead, he doesn't have to end up being someone you want to have a beer with at the end. But you still gotta care about how in the world he gets out of this situation.

There will be times when you realize a story isn't working. You have some choices. You can keep on writing in hopes it gets interesting again (this rarely works for me, but you may be different). You can stash it away, write a different story, then come back to it fresh in the future. You can think up a better angle and start it over. You can cannibalize it for parts and trash the rest. Each of these choices is 100% valid and there's no shame in any of them, because writing is a skill and every word you write increases your skill. Even the sucky ones.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mirage posted:

I tend to think of writing as more like when schoolkids doodle in their books and turn pictures of Washington into a Japanese schoolgirl or something. Start with a kernel of an idea, then think about what you want to make that idea into. Chew on it for a while. So cops can bring people back from the dead to interrogate them. How does that affect the wider world? What other professions could use that ability? Lawyers, historians, reporters, funeral directors, insurance agents even, just for a start. There's be a gigantic body of law around it. Charlatans would abound. Licensing would be an issue. Can it be done with a snap of the fingers, or is it a whole ritual? If it's expensive or difficult, there would be a disparity between classes in how useful it could be. Necromancy could be a freelance field: Jake Dancer, Private Deadeye. Fifty dollars a corpse, plus expenses.

"ask every question a reader would ask about how each thing in your world works, then ask yourself a few more and answer them all in your book" was seriously the exercise that helped me the most w/r/t worldbuilding

it really forces you to think about the consequences of your world. test readers are also really good for raising these kinds of questions because if they have one and you haven't answered it, you probably should.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

anime was right posted:

It's saying more than that, though. Not only is it saying "write more", but it's also saying that writing poo poo is an important part of learning to write well. Producing work you hate isn't a sign of failure; it's an opportunity to figure out why you hate it and work towards something you love. To condense that down to "write more" misses the point, which is that bad work isn't wasted work, but work towards future success.

Mirage posted:

I tend to think of writing as more like when schoolkids doodle in their books and turn pictures of Washington into a Japanese schoolgirl or something.

Is this what the kids are doing now?