Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I beat Ys 7 forever ago when it came out on PSP and this is the first I've heard of flash guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You guys have any predictions on if Ni No Kuni 2 is gonna be good or not?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
What was the really good Master Quartz for Laura in CS2 again?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

You guys have any predictions on if Ni No Kuni 2 is gonna be good or not?

the combat last i saw seemed loving glacial in terms of enemy health but if they've tuned that down it could be ok

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

What was the really good Master Quartz for Laura in CS2 again?

The one that multiplies damage but slows you down. (Tauros I think?)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

the combat last i saw seemed loving glacial in terms of enemy health but if they've tuned that down it could be ok

Still gonna be better than the first game's collection of suicidal lemming party members rushing out to die.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stelas posted:

The one that multiplies damage but slows you down. (Tauros I think?)

Gotcha, cheers

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've always enjoyed jrpgs but been kind of impatient with them and tales of berseria and trails of cold steel this year have been a one-two punch in telling me that actually, i can play a jrpg for 90 hours and love it the entire way through

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Berseria was fantastic and finally got me back into being able to play JRPGs again. I was in a gaming rut for about half a decade without being able to just sit down and play a SP game for more than an hour at a time before I got fidgety.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Heartcatch posted:

Berseria was fantastic and finally got me back into being able to play JRPGs again. I was in a gaming rut for about half a decade without being able to just sit down and play a SP game for more than an hour at a time before I got fidgety.

For both of you, what was so good about it?
My girlfriend has it on steam (purchased on a whim when it was on sale) and I've considered installing it but the very early Tales games I've played turned me off the franchise a bit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Taear posted:

My girlfriend has it on steam (purchased on a whim when it was on sale) and I've considered installing it but the very early Tales games I've played turned me off the franchise a bit.

It's basically has the strongest most consistent writing of the Tales games, and better writing than a lot of JPRGs if we're being honest, even the worst and least relevant party member is still a great addition to the cast, for instance. Plus the battle system is the second-best of the Tales games, so it's just a fantastic experience all around, some minor issues with gameplay aside.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Berseria has a sidequest dedicated entirely to the party failing to become stand up comedians.

It's a good game.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Taear posted:

It has a very strong narrative for a Tales game and the characters are extremely well written. Character growth leaves a bit to be desired, but all of them feel like people with goals and personalities. They interact well too.

Gameplay and mechanics, I'd agree with Last Celebration more or less.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
You've all sold it pretty well there!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I played Shadow Hearts From The New World (or something like that) a decade ago and thought it was fine, but Girlfriend says the first two are really, really good. So I've been derping around on her PS2, playing Shadow Hearts, and the game is okay, but...the dialogue is goofy and terrible, the graphics and animation are a wonderful early PS2 poo poo show, and the story so far is filled with nuances and allusions to things that nobody expounds upon. Nobody finishes a loving thought in this game. "This reminds me of when I was captured by demons and...nevermind." Well, that's not an actual example, but it's similar.

Anyway, my question is, I'm three hours into this game and I'm not really enjoying it all that much. I've given old janky games a chance and a lot of the time it just takes a bit of endurance before it suddenly becomes great. So does this game get great? Should I persevere?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow hearts is probably the best jrpg on ps2. The second game play a hell of a lot better though.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I only played 2 but it was probably my favorite PS2 RPG (next to Suikoden 5) and one of the few games I actually 100%ed and enjoyed every minute of.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
What, really?

Am I missing something, then? I like the combat system, with the wheel, but the game is just so...it's not just that it's ugly, it's that everything is presented so badly. All the dialogue has been localized by someone trying way too hard to add character traits to the words. The story so far is...there are hints to something, but nothing has really been revealed yet. Party members just show up and have weird reasons to help you. "Oh, hi! I am a secret agent you met in a sewer! Can I team up with you?"

Wellanyway, if Girlfriend and two goons say it's cool, I guess I'll just keep at it. I did grow to like Chaser, after a while.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Three hours into a modern JRPG usually means you haven't even had a real fight yet, think yourself lucky.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

berseria is badass 'cause the entire party have actual motivations and conflicts with each other in ways that aren't stupid and forced, they just disagree with each other on basic ideas of morality and so there's a ton of interesting insights into their characters

credburn posted:

What, really?

Am I missing something, then? I like the combat system, with the wheel, but the game is just so...it's not just that it's ugly, it's that everything is presented so badly. All the dialogue has been localized by someone trying way too hard to add character traits to the words. The story so far is...there are hints to something, but nothing has really been revealed yet. Party members just show up and have weird reasons to help you. "Oh, hi! I am a secret agent you met in a sewer! Can I team up with you?"

Wellanyway, if Girlfriend and two goons say it's cool, I guess I'll just keep at it. I did grow to like Chaser, after a while.

shadow hearts is a game where the main villain's plan is to blow up japan and the chinese guy in your party's response, which is never called out and in fact the party seems to agree with, is "That's fine, but he might hit China too."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shadow hearts 1 is rough but it's only 20 hours long and it sounds like you're right at the point where the big stuff starts happening, and the development yuri goes through in sh1 is really really good. you might wanna have a look at a side quest guide if you keep playing though cause there are some really good ones you can miss that do a lot to expand different people in your party, especially secret agent lady.

shadow hearts 2 is a presented a whole lot better if it bugs you that much, it's graphically on the same level as sh3 and it has more voice acting that's better acted

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Berseria is good because instead of demanding you care about the fate of the whole world, it asks that you care about well-written characters whose personal motivations and goals affect the whole world.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

it seems to have a reverse difficulty curve. on hard mode the chapter 1 boss knocked me around several times before i finally beat it (altho i didnt know you could stack buffs at the time..) but the boss of chapter 5 basically didn't get to do anything and was locked down the entire time. as your options open up it feels like the enemies dont really power up enough to force you to use all of them, so if you do use all of many powers available to you, they just get hosed. the battles are still fun though

ok....chapter 6 final fights were good

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I remember trying to play Shadow Hearts From The New World when it finally came to North America and boy howdy was the battle system horrifically slow.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

On the subject of Shadow Hearts, I recommend you watching this LP of the series' prequel, Koudelka. The voice acting and mo-cap hold up really well even today, and it's interesting how it bucks a lot of trends in JRPGs.

The party are assholes to each other most of the game, and not in a goofy way. You can tell they're only staying together because they have to survive against the monsters. You spend the entire game inside one building, but it's vast and the structure feels malevolent. The stakes are small and personal, and the antagonist's motivations are grounded.

It's just too bad that Koudelka is hampered by a really slow battle system. From what I hear, the director wanted to make it more survival horror like Resident Evil or maybe even Diablo, but his staff pressured him to make it a more traditional RPG.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

His original idea seems to have been a sort of RPG/Survival Horror hybrid, where you'd get into battles and then play them out in a sort of limited arena in realtime. A bit like Star Ocean or Tales, maybe, but with survival horror instead of a fighting game or a 3d action game. It's an interesting concept but I can see why his team were hesitant to be that experimental on the PS1, when most of them had never worked on a real-time game before.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Isn't that basically what the first Parasite Eve did? It was certainly an interesting design space but I'd be hesitant to jump at it without a lot of experience either.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Totally found this on my own and not via my good friend lets hang out in another thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWHNbscIwE

RPG from Novectacle who made the great great great VN "The House in Fata Morgana". No gameplay shown but the pitch sounds pretty great.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I picked up Nier Automata on sale recently, and boy howdy do I not like the conceit of having no save points during the tutorial, in a game without quicksave. I think it was ~26 minutes played before I died on the last boss before I would have gotten to save, after I misunderstood how the game wanted me to dodge the attack.

The game showed quick credits and then restarted me from the beginning of the game, "Oh, is this some sort of little ha-ha you're restarting, now here you are back before the figh- oh, no, I'm controlling my guy again, let me google... oh, gently caress me, it's actually starting over".

I had to put it down for a bit because god drat that's a poor design choice for the beginning of your game. And P.S. yes, I saw the warning the game wouldn't autosave, I figured that was a "don't turn the console off, idiot" warning, not a "Welcome to Dark Souls, git gud" warning.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The funny part is there actually will be check points for the rest of the game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You'd be surprised how often people don't check into save boxes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Caphi posted:

You'd be surprised how often people don't check into save boxes.

To be fair I played Nier after Breath of the Wild so it screwed up my habits.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Devor posted:

I picked up Nier Automata on sale recently, and boy howdy do I not like the conceit of having no save points during the tutorial, in a game without quicksave. I think it was ~26 minutes played before I died on the last boss before I would have gotten to save, after I misunderstood how the game wanted me to dodge the attack.

The game showed quick credits and then restarted me from the beginning of the game, "Oh, is this some sort of little ha-ha you're restarting, now here you are back before the figh- oh, no, I'm controlling my guy again, let me google... oh, gently caress me, it's actually starting over".

I had to put it down for a bit because god drat that's a poor design choice for the beginning of your game. And P.S. yes, I saw the warning the game wouldn't autosave, I figured that was a "don't turn the console off, idiot" warning, not a "Welcome to Dark Souls, git gud" warning.

Just cruise through the tutorial on easy, if not the whole thing. The combat isn't the draw of that game anyways.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Normal isn't hard, especially with the tutorial giving you the auto use potion chip

You have to actually try to die there.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I like how the internet telephoned fromsoft rpgs into gritty fantasy IWBTG

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Devor posted:

lol you died during the tutorial

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Did they start on Hard?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i got stunlocked between two crushers in the tutorial and died. it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sakurazuka posted:

lol you died during the tutorial
hey man that's an ending, so I had to do it over and deliberately take off all my chips before starting so I could manage to do it