Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

one time, as a result of delaying selecting an option for a work bonus, i ended up with $1400 in olive garden gift cards

i once had an employer give me several hundred dollars worth of itunes gift cards

i ended up selling them for 90c on the dollar on one of those skeezy websites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
well that's it then

notice given, looking forward to my 50% ( including bonus and bennies it's close to double) raise at newjob

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gonadic io posted:

well that's it then

notice given, looking forward to my 50% ( including bonus and bennies it's close to double) raise at newjob

^5

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i handed over the notice letter during the discussion and was immediately asked to email it out instead

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

gonadic io posted:

well that's it then

:yotj:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

gonadic io posted:

well that's it then

Epic.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

fart simpson posted:

lol let me tell you about my company...

go on...

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

gonadic io posted:

i handed over the notice letter during the discussion and was immediately asked to email it out instead

nice!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

I don't think he's going to Epic

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

well that's it then

grats on the figgies

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Janitor Prime posted:

grats on the figgies

Still not quite at 6 figgies usd given the exchange rate these days

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

well, we're a multinational with around 28k employees and our process is so thoroughly broken that we just email excel and word documents around for everything and there's no document control or centralized places to get any information at all. we're pretty much a pre-written language oral tradition society, and to get anything done at all you need to know specifically who to ask and call in a favor because it's all based on nontransparency and personal relationships and literally everything is treated as a special case outside of the "process"

basically the whole company functions like a corrupt 3rd world economy, where everyone relies so heavily on parallel systems and knows not to bother trying to follow the actual official process that the process itself is never fixed or updated. every new coworker i've had here has been shocked at how bad it is

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

you the guy who works in shenzhen?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Just had my interview and I think it went well, it's the first one I think I've ever been this nervous for.

Also I found out that Paul Ryan was the reason they had to bump my interview from last week :whitewater:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Just had my interview and I think it went well, it's the first one I think I've ever been this nervous for.

Also I found out that Paul Ryan was the reason they had to bump my interview from last week :whitewater:

ugh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

HoboMan posted:

you the guy who works in shenzhen?

yeah but it's the same at other sites around the world. i worked in the same company in LA for a while and it wasn't any different

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hope ur senate confirmation went well

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I almost said this exact thing out loud but I was able to morph it into an "oh?" and save face.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

fart simpson posted:

yeah but it's the same at other sites around the world. i worked in the same company in LA for a while and it wasn't any different

except the software wasnt pirated (maybe)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol just got an email from a bank I interviewed with well over a year ago telling me that the opening was cancelled. gj guys

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rex-Goliath posted:

lol just got an email from a bank I interviewed with well over a year ago telling me that the opening was cancelled. gj guys

flomar

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Heard back from the HR guy this morning. He said he had a conference call with the hiring team tomorrow and I should hear back from them after that :ohdear:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey do you guys have good resources for getting better at technical interviews? I have a friend who's a good developer but gets choked/flustered during interviews

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

qirex posted:

hey do you guys have good resources for getting better at technical interviews? I have a friend who's a good developer but gets choked/flustered during interviews

it's an orthogonal skill.

so do more interviews, practice problems, etc. it's a pretty garbage system.

taking a theatre/acting class should help with the nerves, or at least projecting it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if they re a good developer they wont get flustered during interviews.

but really just take your time and ask questions. If you can, get a list of questions ahead of time or atleast what topics will be discussed so you can prepare a little.

There really isn't a way to make technical interviews less stressful that isnt on the interviewer. if the interview is too confrontational for your taste it may be a sign that its not a place you want to work.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Rex-Goliath posted:

probably had a faulty messaging server that they just fixed.

one time i started receiving leave approval messages on my phone for leaves i took last year.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

leper khan posted:

it's an orthogonal skill.

so do more interviews, practice problems, etc. it's a pretty garbage system.

taking a theatre/acting class should help with the nerves, or at least projecting it.
she has done plenty of "practice" interviews but when it's a good job her nerves get the better of her

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qirex posted:

she has done plenty of "practice" interviews but when it's a good job her nerves get the better of her

the only thing that helped me was just bombing a bunch of real ones. tell her to apply to jobs she'd never take, just for the practice.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that only goes away w/ practice if it ever goes away. idk how helpful this is, but go in knowing that they need you more than you need them right now.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

raminasi posted:

the only thing that helped me was just bombing a bunch of real ones. tell her to apply to jobs she'd never take, just for the practice.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

I'm a nervous wreck all the time, but interviews haven't really gotten me down because programming is like the only thing in my life where I feel confident. I guess it helps that I've gotten an offer from all 5 places that I've interviewed with in my life.

Dunning–Kruger ftw!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
For the first time in two years I applied for somewhere and I just got called to schedule a phone screen.

:ohdear::hf::yotj:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
get really drunk before the interview to calm your nerves and boost your confidence

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dislike button posted:

get really drunk before the interview to calm your nerves and boost your confidence

Solid advice, will try.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008
I had a really positive phone screen, followed up by nothing :ghost:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

qirex posted:

*extremely steve-o voice* xanax

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I'm thinking it may be good time to :sever:

in the past year since our dictator/cto departed they've dumped a shitton of extra responsibilities on development managers. this was poo poo we should have been doing ages ago, but the cto ignored because it couldn't be explained how it would make money right this instant (project planning? the plan is you make money). thankfully they realized this and decided to fix it. how you ask? by stripping all technical responsibilities away from development managers. also let's merge qa and dev into one group. also let's take away team leaders from managers and since they won't have any technical responsibilities, we can up their report count to 12 direct reports.

among the other fun things i recently found out, our (now former) vp of the department for the past decade had no idea what our departments budget was. he never even asked. we've been told to have conversations with our reports about what roles they see themselves doing in the new structure, in the same meeting where they told us they don't have the position plans defined for these new roles. our own internal training group from the company wasn't made aware of this reorg until after it was announced despite them specializing in training for the various roles.

part of me wants to stick it out and see how bad it gets while building my programming skills back up, part of me wants to flee right now, and part of me hopes it won't be as bad as it looks despite the fact the people responsible for these changes are the same ones who helped contribute to the department being as screwed up as it is. i'm not the worst off either. there's managers who want nothing to do with the proposed new manager structure but haven't written code in the better part of a decade.

how common are non-technical development managers in a software company? I'm guessing not at all for obvious reasons.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

how common are non-technical development managers in a software company? I'm guessing not at all for obvious reasons.

extremely common

most of them claim to know how to code though :v:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

TerminalRaptor posted:

lmfao

very very common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i found this exchange on hn

• Locked thread