Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We beat both those losers in WW2 and can call their stuff whatever the hell we want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You actually do keep mispronouncing Adolf

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Phlegmish posted:

You actually do keep mispronouncing Adolf

Also misspelling it as Adolph for some reason.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Huh. So what would a male version of 'Maria' be?

Maria, actually.

quote:

Maria is used as a part of masculine given names in Roman Catholic tradition. Examples include the Dukes of Milan Gian Maria Visconti (1388–1412) and Filippo Maria Visconti (1392–1447), Italian composers Giovanni Maria Nanino (1543/4–1607) and Giovanni Maria Trabaci (c. 1575–1647), English colonist Edward Maria Wingfield (1550– 1631), Italian painter Antonio Maria Vassallo (c. 1620-1664/1673), German composer Carl Maria von Weber (1786–1826), French physicist André-Marie Ampère (1775–1836), German-language poet Rainer Maria Rilke (1875–1926), French politician Jean-Marie Le Pen (b. 1928), etc.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Sep 6, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

I'd just like to say I appreciated this.

What, the misspelling of Giana?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwb_NqmS8Kc

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
In correct etymology realization news, I just realized "quesadilla" is ultimately derived from "queso"...because it contains cheese you see. Not sure how it took me thirty years to land that nugget but here we are.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dirksteadfast posted:

In correct etymology realization news, I just realized "quesadilla" is ultimately derived from "queso"...because it contains cheese you see. Not sure how it took me thirty years to land that nugget but here we are.

Actually it comes from the Spanish inventor, Quesaba Cruz, He based the new treat on an admiral hat, and named it after himself. :eng101:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dirksteadfast posted:

"quesadilla"

I pronounce that as "kwess- addiler"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jerry Cotton posted:

What, the misspelling of Giana?

If you're being serious, he's referencing The Great Giana Sisters, the infamous C64/Amiga game that was shamelessly ripping off the original Super Mario Bros. :thejoke:

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

dirksteadfast posted:

My friend, you have stumbled upon the Mexican equivalent of that old "beans in chili" can of worms.

You see, peeps in Mexico City think it's cool and good to have quesadillas without cheese, going so far as to justify their barbaric actions with phony etymological origins like "no no, it's actually derived from Quetzal...!" (How a tiny bird relates to a quesadilla is anybody's guess)

Now, if you ask "Wait, isn't a cheese-less quesadilla a taco?", the rest of the country will answer "well motherfuckin' DUH!"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So when I put cheese on my tacos I turn them into quesadillas?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

If you're being serious, he's referencing The Great Giana Sisters, the infamous C64/Amiga game that was shamelessly ripping off the original Super Mario Bros. :thejoke:

Yeah? But they spelled it Gianna. IDK what's going on anymore.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

purple death ray posted:

So when I put cheese on my tacos I turn them into quesadillas?

If you're putting the cheese before taking 'em out of the fire AND the cheese is melty, then yes.

AMA about kesadillers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If I use two tortillas stacked, is my quesadilla/taco actually a sandwich?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

If I use two tortillas stacked, is my quesadilla/taco actually a sandwich?

What do you mean, a taco is already a sandwich.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A taco is more of a hot dog, as the shell is connected, like a hot dog bun.

A sandwich that's connected is a fold-over.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah? But they spelled it Gianna. IDK what's going on anymore.

Wikipedia posted:

The player takes the role of Giana (referred to as Gianna in the scrolling intro and also the intended name before a typo was made on the cover art and the developers just went with that rather than having the cover remade[1]), a girl who suffers from a nightmare, in which she travels through 32 dungeons full of monsters, while collecting ominous diamonds and looking for her sister Maria. If the player wins the final battle, Giana will be awakened by her sister.[2]

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah nah gently caress that everybody who was alive at the time called it Giana Sisters not Gianna Sisters.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not a factual thing, but whatever:

I just realized what the deal is with this guy who comes into my local Starbucks that nobody (including the staff) like, but can't kick him out because he doesn't do anything wrong.

Before today, this is all I knew about him was that he's an older gentleman with boundary/social issues (these things in my ears mean I don't want to talk, please don't inform me of what movies you are excited for for the umpteenth time) who always has at least two bibles and at least one book about the Bible.

Turns out, he's a goddamned Biblical doomsday predictor. What the Christ, pun not intended.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

I just realized what the deal is with this guy who comes into my local Starbucks that nobody (including the staff) like, but can't kick him out because he doesn't do anything wrong.

Before today, this is all I knew about him was that he's an older gentleman with boundary/social issues (these things in my ears mean I don't want to talk, please don't inform me of what movies you are excited for for the umpteenth time) who always has at least two bibles and at least one book about the Bible.

Turns out, he's a goddamned Biblical doomsday predictor. What the Christ, pun not intended.

Member of the Eagles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfeSggM95fQ

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I saw a weirdo on the subway. Turns out he has mental health problems! Crazy right? pun not intended.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Every town and district of a city absolutely requires at least one bible doomsday guy. Sandwich board, megaphone, shouting on the street corner, handing out fliers, driving around in a car/van totally covered with hand-painted doomsday poo poo about HAARP and SOROS mixed in with bible quotes. I've never been anywhere that didn't have at least one of these guys.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Pentaro posted:

My friend, you have stumbled upon the Mexican equivalent of that old "beans in chili" can of worms.

You see, peeps in Mexico City think it's cool and good to have quesadillas without cheese, going so far as to justify their barbaric actions with phony etymological origins like "no no, it's actually derived from Quetzal...!" (How a tiny bird relates to a quesadilla is anybody's guess)

Could it be Quetzal as in Quetzalcoatl, the awesome dragon-bird-god said to have given humans corn (also tequila according to some art)? Cause you can't make the tortillas out of any other grain, especially flour; that'd be truly barbaric.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Rahonavis posted:

Could it be Quetzal as in Quetzalcoatl, the awesome dragon-bird-god said to have given humans corn (also tequila according to some art)? Cause you can't make the tortillas out of any other grain, especially flour; that'd be truly barbaric.

drat loving right making a tortilla out of flour is loving barbaric.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Migas, a dish made of fried tortilla strips and scrambled eggs, gets it's name from being the best breakfast friend[Amiga]. It's in feminine form because sexism. :ese:

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Sep 7, 2017

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I thought that was chilaquiles, and migas (which is amazing) was made with what's essentially croutons.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hirayuki posted:

I thought that was chilaquiles, and migas (which is amazing) was made with what's essentially croutons.

Mexican migas, specifically.
Chilaquiles is a whole other thing with salsa,meat and vegetables.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Shh, nobody tell MrBibs

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

Mexican migas, specifically.
Chilaquiles is a whole other thing with salsa,meat and vegetables.

I thought chilaquiles was cut tortillas simmered in sauce with meat occasionally tossed in. At least, that's what its always been since I was a kid.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought chilaquiles was cut tortillas simmered in sauce with meat occasionally tossed in. At least, that's what its always been since I was a kid.

Why did I say? :confused:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sorry, read basically everything wrong. Carry on.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

A sandwich that's connected is a fold-over.

What is it when a hot dog bun disconnects?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Flyball posted:

Disappointing

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

someone awful. posted:

Disappointing

So true

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Flyball posted:

Long burger.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Still a sandwich. If it's food in or on bread it's a sandwich. Burrito? Sandwich. Hamburger? Sandwich. Pizza? Sandwich.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

purple death ray posted:

Also any dude running around named Josh is actually named after Jesus

No, that guy running around being Jesus was actually named after Josh!

"Joshua" is a Jewish name. It's "Yehoshua" in Hebrew. There's an entire book of the Old Testament called Joshua, after the main character.

A thousand years after that, some Jewish heretic with the same name gets told on by the Jewish religious authorities, becomes a martyr, and a splinter faction of Judaism forms. Two thousand years later it's still going and that Josh is popularly known by the Anglicised version of the Greek version of his name, but meanwhile Orthodox Jews still name their kids Joshua after Joshua.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Sep 7, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Migas, a dish made of fried tortilla strips and scrambled eggs, gets it's name from being the best breakfast friend[Amiga]. It's in feminine form because sexism. :ese:

I've never heard of this dish before, but I thought migas was just Spanish for crumbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Phlegmish posted:

I've never heard of this dish before, but I thought migas was just Spanish for crumbs.

Migas is Spanish (Castellano) for bread crumbs, but also refers to the delicious Mexican dish! :eng101: