Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also the FAQ is fun because it makes modifiers super powerful. Your Hellblaster rolled a 2 against something which gives -1 to hit? Congrats he's dead and your nearby Captain can't force a reroll.

This is mitigated by the fact that overcharging is optional and if you do it with penalties you're a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's the preferred loadout for the Redemptors?

Whatever you want, all the guns are easily swappable.

Though I'm sticking with the Plasma Cannon because I accidently glued it in place.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I've been kinda disappointed in the Redemptor, honestly. Ive been running with the Fragstorms, small gatling, and swappable big gun, and its a lot of bullets, but none are particularly impactful except against hordes. Combined with the fact that its T7 with a 3+ and no invuln or FNP, and it LOOKS big and scary, and it tends to die fast, compared to a Contemptor or Venerable which are both cheaper.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JoshTheStampede posted:

I've been kinda disappointed in the Redemptor, honestly. Ive been running with the Fragstorms, small gatling, and swappable big gun, and its a lot of bullets, but none are particularly impactful except against hordes. Combined with the fact that its T7 with a 3+ and no invuln or FNP, and it LOOKS big and scary, and it tends to die fast, compared to a Contemptor or Venerable which are both cheaper.

Primaris in general seem to really suffer against vehicles. The problem is that they have no weapons that can deal more than two wounds, and those that can require the shooter to risk killing themselves.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah as much as I liked painting it, I can't see much scope for it to get on the table. 2 Razorbacks are a similar price and do the same job much better.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Yeah as much as I liked painting it, I can't see much scope for it to get on the table. 2 Razorbacks are a similar price and do the same job much better.

For those who hate their friends there's always Assault Cannon Tarantulas. 200 points will get you 4 of them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

professor_curly posted:

Tau have two settings. They either punch you in the face so hard you wonder why you bothered getting your poo poo out, or they get blown away and they wonder why they bothered getting their poo poo out. If you don't bring enough anti-infantry firepower to clear away drones, then you aren't going to get to their suits anytime fast. This is, by the way, the only way I have managed to get my Tau army to work at all.

I don't use any forgeworld stuff, but I can say that when I've brought my Longstrike + Hammerhead friends as the basis of the list, I just die. Predators (especially) and Dunecrawlers are just superior. In particular, Onager Dunecrawlers + Cawl play much more like the hammerheads of old, with moving and firing without penalty and 4+ "Jink" saves and amazing accuracy. To the point that I seriously considered just putting my Hammerheads on the Onager base and using my Tau with Admech rules instead. Neutron Laser + Dual Stubbers even has the same basic weapon setup as the Railgun + Burst Cannon hammerhead.

And of course, unlike Cawl you can't hide or screen Longstrike, and once he goes down the rest of the Hammerheads really drop off in effectiveness.

I've found that Tau depend immensely on people not knowing the tricks that they play. Stealth Suits can deploy anywhere they want more than 9-inches away from the enemy. Then they can move, and at the end of their movement phase plant a beacon that lets a single (1) unit deepstrike. That (1) unit can deepstrike anywhere within 6-inches of the Beacon, and then the beacon fizzles out forever. So plan for a single commander with BS2+ and 4 meltaguns landing in your face if the Tau go first. If you have a big screening unit like Conscripts, you can at least prevent the commander from landing within Melta range of your big thing.

If they have more than one stealth suit squad, they can each bring in a homing beacon, and each homing beacon is one additional commander or some other unit that can come in. Then the commander will typically try to charge something with dangerous shooting. They can fly over your screening units for the charge, so keep that in mind. If the Tau player is smart they will declare multiple charges, one on the screening unit right next to it and one on a dangerous thing further away you were trying to hide. They probably have a couple of Shield Drones to eat lucky lascannon overwatch hits, but again plan ahead for this.

Coldstar Commanders can move 20 inches a turn, and when they advance they go a total of 40 inches.

Gun Drones units next to a Cadre Fireblade get six shots each at half range (9-inches).

Longstrike hits on a 2+ and and wounds vehicles/monsters on a 2+ with his railgun (and causes extra mortal wounds against vehicles/monsters on a 5+) in addition to giving himself and other hammerheads around him +1 to hit. He's just a tank with no defensive bonuses. Kill him first.

Also don't expect crisis suits to be anything except for Commanders carrying four weapons. Quad Fusion gets most of the press, but quad Missile Pods and quad Cyclic Ion Blasters can both make a big dent in what you're doing. Missile Pods are basically autocannons, and the Cyclic Ion Blaster is either 3 shots Str7 Ap-1, or d3 shots Str8 AP-1 that also does d3 damage.

Gun Drones can only ever target the closest unit (Vehicle weapon gun drones are an exception to this, because the vehicle pilot is using their guns). They also have crap leadership. You can use this to your advantage by putting tough things that gun drones don't want to shoot at in front of more squishy things.

If you bring an army not prepared to deal with these things, then you are going to be really stifled. If you bring an army that can deal with these sorts of things, then the Tau are just gonna pick their poo poo up by the handfuls. Also, killpoints make tau lose.

So far in my experience, AdMech really only have one tactic, which is to shoot everything off the board. I think they could probably pour out enough fire to wipe away drones (thanks to Kataphrons and their Heavy-Grav Cannons). If I play Tau, i'll probably just go Destroyer heavy. 5 shots each, damage changes to D3 if the target has a 3+ armor save. Hitting on 4's, but with Cawl you can reroll them shits.

I'm really hoping that when the codex comes out, we get the ability to deep strike. As much as I love AdMech, it's boring as poo poo just standing there and shooting stuff. (Although I will never, ever get tired of popping massive targets in one round of shooting with 3 Neutron Lasers). Right now the only things that can really get around are Kastelans Robots, Sicarian Infiltrators (which are garbage) and the Ironstriders.

My one complaint with AdMech is that if I ever play an objective based game, I usually lose because I cannot get to the opponents objectives while holding onto my own, if I ever even manage to get there at all.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

It would just be a human-centipede of servitors with guns bolted to their spines.

Totally cool with this.

dexefiend posted:

I agree. I have 2 ... and I kinda want 4.

Good job on this one!

I think at this point you have more Howling Griffons than the actual Chapter does. haha

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Corrode posted:

I think its still the best option against gant/conscript/guardian swarms, and it did work against tghose last week, but mostly it just drew fire away from my other 2 dreads and 3 tanks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Maybe I missed it, but I feel like no one posted yesterday's death guard previvew:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/05/death-guard-warlord-traits-stratagems-and-relicsgw-homepage-post-2/

Looks like their jam will be throwing out loads of mortal wounds. Seems strong.

The upside is that they have my new favorite Strategem in the game:
https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/DG_Strat_PutridDetonation.jpg

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Exploding your own vehicles is clutch.

The Death Guard preview looks great and I like the 7" theme for everything. They're gonna throw out so many mortal wounds, it's hideous.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Exploding your own vehicles is clutch.

Ork Stratagem confirmed.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Breaking news, victory over the perfidious Tyran-ite scourge on Macragge!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Thundercloud posted:

I've been told the studio did a bunch of concept art for them a while back for space based squats that fled their destroyed homeworlds. I don't know if anything was done with it though.

I read somewhere that they didn't know how to fill them in as a faction, personally I'd like to see them maybe as part of a larger group of Mercenaries

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

OhDearGodNo posted:

I read somewhere that they didn't know how to fill them in as a faction, personally I'd like to see them maybe as part of a larger group of Mercenaries

Yeah, I think the fluff for them all along has been that they aren't extinct at all - there just aren't enough of them to be a whole army or a sovereign force in the galaxy anymore.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

What are people using the 1/100 Dreamforge Leviathans as?

Too big to be a dread, too small for a knight. Leviathan dreadnought? Decimator?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Gilgameshback posted:

Too big to be a dread, too small for a knight. Leviathan dreadnought? Decimator?

Too big to be a Decimator. Maybe a Leviathan? iirc they're about the same size as dreadknights

Personally I've never been a fan of them

OhDearGodNo posted:

This pretty much screams "Tau coalition race"

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

There was talk a while ago about Hrud being exactly that, "Space Dwarves" who showed up as part of the Tau list. Nothing came of it though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The demiurg are the space dorfs and they turned up as part of the Tau fleet in BFG.

It's a shame that GW decided to push bigger and bigger robots instead of expanding the Tau's actual mixed alien empire angle. Robots sell though.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Yeah focusing on Tau auxiliaries from other races would have been thematically sweet and set them apart from the other armies. I keep forgetting that Vespid are even a thing.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can understand why, since Tau as Tau are one of the best selling factions and their players would probably want Tau releases rather than Kroot or Vespid releases. It's also probably a lot more work making an entire alien race rather than modifying some of their already existing designs into bigger, shootier versions. That said, with Eldar having like 4 subfactions and Tyranids now having Genestealer Cults, I could see a Codex: Greater Good focusing on the auxilliaries making for a cool allied supplement.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

The demiurg are the space dorfs and they turned up as part of the Tau fleet in BFG.

It's a shame that GW decided to push bigger and bigger robots instead of expanding the Tau's actual mixed alien empire angle. Robots sell though.

Oh yeah my mistake, Hrud are Space Skaven.

It'd be cool to see new aliens in any form. There's tons if great art and stuff over the years which could be interesting to see in miniature form, even if it's as Tau auxiliaries or expanded Archon's Court stuff.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, as much as I'd like to see more coalition races, it's pretty clear that the robots are what make Tau one of the best-selling races. And hey, I totally get it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
It didnt help that when they released Vespid they were complete garbage.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think at this point you have more Howling Griffons than the actual Chapter does. haha

This doesnt include my 2 Repulsors or my Reivers. I am basically done, except for Aggressors and the Forgeworld Overlord (if they make one).

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 6, 2017

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Corrode posted:

It'd be cool to see new aliens in any form. There's tons if great art and stuff over the years which could be interesting to see in miniature form, even if it's as Tau auxiliaries or expanded Archon's Court stuff.

Solution: Kroot and Vespid battlesuits.

Random stupid rumor: New faction were humans that had lost contact. Obtuse way of describing abhumans, squats?

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Does anybody have any tips for using Dark Eldar against Space Marines?

Just for example, here's some things I've tried:

- Venom spam. Six Venoms can lay down a lot of firepower, but the problem is that twelve poison shots with two Splinter Cannons looks pretty serious until it bounces off the armor; I can get maybe one to two casualties per Venom, which is a bad tradeoff.

- Incubi spam. They can do a lot of damage until they go squish on the comeback.

- Hekatrix Bloodbrides. These can put out a fuckload of attacks, but the Strength 3 and the lack of AP means that - again - they're hitting a lot, but bouncing off the Space Marine armor.

- Regular Dark Eldar Warriors. I'm taking them five with a blaster as a cheap way to get Venoms, but they're just not hitting hard enough to justify their points cost.

- I've been taking Talos Murder Engines, but they have the problem of being too obvious a target, overcosted and they have a tendency to go squish under sustained bolter fire.

Thoughts?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Gilgameshback posted:

Dreadknight. They are basically the perfect size:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Corrode posted:

Until they inexplicably became insectoid Swamp Thing:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Darren MacLennan posted:

Does anybody have any tips for using Dark Eldar against Space Marines?

Just for example, here's some things I've tried:

- Venom spam. Six Venoms can lay down a lot of firepower, but the problem is that twelve poison shots with two Splinter Cannons looks pretty serious until it bounces off the armor; I can get maybe one to two casualties per Venom, which is a bad tradeoff.

- Incubi spam. They can do a lot of damage until they go squish on the comeback.

- Hekatrix Bloodbrides. These can put out a fuckload of attacks, but the Strength 3 and the lack of AP means that - again - they're hitting a lot, but bouncing off the Space Marine armor.

- Regular Dark Eldar Warriors. I'm taking them five with a blaster as a cheap way to get Venoms, but they're just not hitting hard enough to justify their points cost.

- I've been taking Talos Murder Engines, but they have the problem of being too obvious a target, overcosted and they have a tendency to go squish under sustained bolter fire.

Thoughts?

How do poison weapons work now for the warriors? Way back when I used to play them i'd put them in Raiders with the weapons racks, letting them reroll misses. But that was like...6th edition? maybe 5th?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

The Bee posted:

I can understand why, since Tau as Tau are one of the best selling factions and their players would probably want Tau releases rather than Kroot or Vespid releases. It's also probably a lot more work making an entire alien race rather than modifying some of their already existing designs into bigger, shootier versions. That said, with Eldar having like 4 subfactions and Tyranids now having Genestealer Cults, I could see a Codex: Greater Good focusing on the auxilliaries making for a cool allied supplement.

I love the idea of Codex: Greater Good.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Until they inexplicably became insectoid Swamp Thing:

That's a real shame because I would really love to have Space Skaven.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

a cock shaped fruit posted:

For the record, this is one of my favourite Space Wolf minis of all time, and I am sad that mine got destroyed.

I've got one if you want him. PM me if you're interested in him or any other old school Space Wolves.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

How do poison weapons work now for the warriors? Way back when I used to play them i'd put them in Raiders with the weapons racks, letting them reroll misses. But that was like...6th edition? maybe 5th?

Nowadays they wound vehicles on 6's, everything else on 4+

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

They just wound on a 4+, but weapon racks have gone away. I miss them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

I was pretty down on the Redemptor dread from the first pictures, but now I've built and painted one I'm way more into it. Great kit.

Imagine a dreadnought... inside.... a dreadnought

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Has anyone used KR foam to store a Stormhawk Interceptor? I have one now and they don't make a tray for it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shadin posted:

That's a real shame because I would really love to have Space Skaven.

I'm OK with it; I'd rather not have every fantasy race have a 40k analog. Plus, Hrud swamp moster things look p cool.

I'd like to see the Laer get representation

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

SRM posted:

Has anyone used KR foam to store a Stormhawk Interceptor? I have one now and they don't make a tray for it.

I've used KR Foam to store things of similar size without incident, but this usually requires my carrying-case, I wouldn't recommend using ill-fitting foam for your KR backpack since up ending it could cause damage. Guilliman usually finds his way into a dreadnaught slot for example, but I don't dare carry him in the backpack, because I know for certain his sword and torches will snap, there is nothing really suitable for him.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

I love the idea of Codex: Greater Good.

I've wanted a 40K version of Dogs of War ever since Tau came out.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm OK with it; I'd rather not have every fantasy race have a 40k analog. Plus, Hrud swamp moster things look p cool.

I'd like to see the Laer get representation

The swamp monsters do look awesome.

In my heart though I'd still love this in 40k:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Do I need to bust out the pictures of my Cult Mousanicus again?