Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ragnar34 posted:

Is Todd Starnes the guy where someone said he's got the face of someone who pays women to spank him? Not to kinkshame, like if that's his thing then it's the only non-objectionable thing about him. But there's something about is pasty round face, like an Uncrustable, and his thin floppy hair and the way his glasses distort his eyes.

he and his son harlan z hill can't get enough of that golden nectar

e: whoops sorry it's his younger brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does he drink pee?

E: Yuk!

moths fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 6, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

Does he drink pee?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kenzie posted:

Crowder has to be the most obnoxious RWM figure for me, just because he tries to be a comedian. I can listen to most right wing propagandists just fine for some reason, like Levin or Rush or Savage, or even Hannity in small doses.

Levin, while horrific, does indeed sound exactly like Master Shake.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The title in the background :lol:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Or maybe they look at assholes like you and your friends and figure "Wow if being that big of a shithead is what Christianity is about then count me out."

Seems to have largely worked that way for me.

but RWM absorbers just assume and take it for granted that everyone in the U.S. who is "good" is automatically Christian, or at least sympathetic and overly respectful towards them. gently caress that.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Or maybe they look at assholes like you and your friends and figure "Wow if being that big of a shithead is what Christianity is about then count me out."

They are kinda putting me off my own religion, since they seem to be closer to the Pharisees that Jesus hated, than Jesus himself. How could we have lost our way so much?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is backed up by actual data by the way. There's been a huge drop-off of millennials leaving churches when they turn 18 and aren't socially obligated to go (something like 59% who grew up in the church leave it). And when surveyed the answers are invariably that they were turned off by all the political culture warrior bullshit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jurgan posted:

I was just trying to think through the causality there. "What if Pearl Harbor never was attacked?" isn't an alternate history scenario I've seen explored.

In fact, that actually happened. Obama talked a lot about green energy and reducing pollution to protect people's health. Conservatives' response?

"Rolling Coal."

Or the times when they railed against drinking water and eating healthy just because the Obamas happened to be in favor of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

They are kinda putting me off my own religion, since they seem to be closer to the Pharisees that Jesus hated, than Jesus himself. How could we have lost our way so much?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Right Wing Media: Rachel Maddow for Republicans

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/905570077768118272

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

This is backed up by actual data by the way. There's been a huge drop-off of millennials leaving churches when they turn 18 and aren't socially obligated to go (something like 59% who grew up in the church leave it). And when surveyed the answers are invariably that they were turned off by all the political culture warrior bullshit.

my local church growing up was liberation theology as gently caress, I just don't like getting up early on Sundays.

turned atheist so I could sleep in more

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Really hoping to see some good stuff come from this.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Azuth0667 posted:

I think you could make a case for doing it yourself. Think of it as making a fire break to aid in stopping a wild fire or soil remediation at a superfund site. The more people out there grifting money from the same group of people the less there is to go around and the faster it would all depelete. The way I see it, this base of people is going to spend this money and consume RWM no matter what is done. Without some way to "drain the swamp" the RWM machine is going to continue to spew garbage everywhere. Hopefully this depeltion takes a whole bunch of shitlordes with it but, I'm not an economist so take all of that with a grain of salt.

To top it all off you can use what money and popularity you would gain from doing this to advance good causes like science education advocacy.

The issue with this is that adding another voice to the chorus of bullshit just legitimizes the bullshit. You (the non-specific you) would become just another data point "proving" these odious ideas are correct and popular. They take great comfort in the number of YouTube views or shares of their bullshit articles. The bigger their numbers the more correct they are.

And while you may be in on the joke, or saying it without believing it, your views and readers and listeners almost certainly believe you're genuine, so they'll reinforce and echo these beliefs.

I honestly don't know what the solution is at this point, to turning the kind of people swept up in these lies, but adding to it, even with the altruistic intention of turning the money and influence to better causes, is not the way, in my opinion.

Another classic case of right-wing projection. They are so spiteful that they think left-wing people, journalists, and climate scientists are "orgasmic" at the thought of lives lost and property destroyed from killer storms. Disgusting.

Civil Lies
Sep 3, 2008
Fox is really hammering the Southern Poverty Law Center tonight. What did they do over the past 24 - 48 hours to deserve this much focus?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Civil Lies posted:

Fox is really hammering the Southern Poverty Law Center tonight. What did they do over the past 24 - 48 hours to deserve this much focus?
Report on Jeff Sessions?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Leofish posted:

The issue with this is that adding another voice to the chorus of bullshit just legitimizes the bullshit. You (the non-specific you) would become just another data point "proving" these odious ideas are correct and popular. They take great comfort in the number of YouTube views or shares of their bullshit articles. The bigger their numbers the more correct they are.

And while you may be in on the joke, or saying it without believing it, your views and readers and listeners almost certainly believe you're genuine, so they'll reinforce and echo these beliefs.

I honestly don't know what the solution is at this point, to turning the kind of people swept up in these lies, but adding to it, even with the altruistic intention of turning the money and influence to better causes, is not the way, in my opinion.

Another classic case of right-wing projection. They are so spiteful that they think left-wing people, journalists, and climate scientists are "orgasmic" at the thought of lives lost and property destroyed from killer storms. Disgusting.

I think the opposite would happen. Eventually people would become inured by it and the current inhabitants would have to get crazier to differentiate which narrows their audience.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Leofish posted:

I honestly don't know what the solution is at this point...

There is none. The genie is out of the bottle and it's become normalized and entrenched. I don't even think re-instituting the Fairness Doctrine would do much.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Civil Lies posted:

dunno but quasi-related i've been seeing mark krikorian of the center for immigration studies, which is listed as a white nationalist hate group by splc, on cnn and msnbc a whole bunch to talk about daca

for some reason nobody ever seems to bother mentioning who exactly he's representing. it's the damnedest thing

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Muppets On PCP posted:

dunno but quasi-related i've been seeing mark krikorian of the center for immigration studies, which is listed as a white nationalist hate group by splc, on cnn and msnbc a whole bunch to talk about daca

for some reason nobody ever seems to bother mentioning who exactly he's representing. it's the damnedest thing

both sides!

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Seconding Roger Ailes as #1 worst misinformation merchant. The man got Nixon on TV. He is responsible for Richard Nixon being....palatable on television for God's sakes. The man is the literal devil incarnate. If Roger Ailes was wrestling he'd be a slightly more sexist early-career Ric Flair. But with way more racism.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Didn't Todd Starnes also admit he hosed an animal?

What a morally inept gently caress.

not letting this pass without a 'nice'

nice

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quote:

He’s not saying the hurricane itself isn’t real, Limbaugh clarifies, but just that he’s looked at the paths and Irma is not going to hit South Florida. Rather, it’s going to turn and go out into the Atlantic.

Go gently caress yourself Rush, you fat, child-raping piece of poo poo. People are going to die because you have probably convinced a non-zero number of people in the storm's path that they'll be fine, and you'll escape retribution for it because you couched it in the cowardly "I'm just asking questions" way.

So sick of how he (and the rest of the people following in his footsteps) tries to debase scientific process, method, and results. Al Franken had it 100% right when he said "It seems that Rush Limbaugh's main objective is to punish you for actually knowing anything"

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 7, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Holy poo poo, more on this Rush thing, he also thinks it's a secret wink-and-nod deal between grocery stores and local TV stations.

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/...e-agenda/217842

Rush Limbaugh transcript posted:

Let’s take south Florida television, for example. There is symbiotic relationship between retailers and local media, and it’s related to money. It revolves around money. You have major, major industries and businesses which prosper during times of crisis and panic, such as a hurricane, which could destroy or greatly damage people’s homes, and it could interrupt the flow of water and electricity. So what happens?

Well, the TV stations begin reporting this and the panic begins to increase. And then people end up going to various stores to stock up on water and whatever they might need for home repairs and batteries and all this that they’re advised to get, and a vicious circle is created. You have these various retail outlets who spend a lot of advertising dollars with the local media. The local media, in turn, reports in such a way as to create the panic way far out, which sends people into these stores to fill up with water and to fill up with batteries, and it becomes a never-ending repeated cycle. And the two coexist. So the media benefits with the panic with increased eyeballs, and the retailers benefit from the panic with increased sales, and the TV companies benefit because they’re getting advertising dollars from the businesses that are seeing all this attention from customers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leofish posted:

Holy poo poo, more on this Rush thing, he also thinks it's a secret wink-and-nod deal between grocery stores and local TV stations.

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/...e-agenda/217842

well, he does know all about how to incite a state of panic to sell merch

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Silver lining: anyone who would bother to listen to the advice of Rush Limbaugh over local and national weather reports is already neck deep in the fever swamp to begin with. So maybe this is a good thing?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 7, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That may be the worst thing Rush has done yet. He definitely still fits in in this ultra insane Trump era.:smith:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Rush hates weather reports because they delay his sex tourism and the timing of his pill popping.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I was incredulous on people mistrusting local news reports on natural disasters because, gently caress, if my local news channel says "you're gonna die, and your kids too" I would get out of that place ASAP even if their daily line-up is the most alt-right bastards ever, but this Rush thing really shows my naivety and ignorance. I hate this. I thought if there's one thing even the sleaziest, most corrupt, evil news channel can do, it's reporting accurately on loving catastrophes.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 7, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Larryb posted:

Or the times when they railed against drinking water and eating healthy just because the Obamas happened to be in favor of it.

This was always so completely loving bizarre.

It was indescribably strange hearing something utterly innocuous like "Michelle Obama wants kids to eat broccoli and go outside!" peppered with the same sneering contempt usually reserved for child rapists and serial killers. Like, what the gently caress RWM.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/905596338573905920
Guy who couldn't afford to pay child support wants more people to buy expensive plastic.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I never realized how expensive legos were when I was young. If I were a parent and had to choose between buying minecraft once or constantly buying 20 - 300+ dollar boxes of plastic, i'd go with the minecraft.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Avirosb posted:

Guy who couldn't afford to pay child support wants more people to buy expensive plastic.

Hey, now that he attacked video games, maybe Sargon and the other ethics in journalism folks will go after him now.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

A piece on Brietbart is making the claim that hurricane damage is getting worse BECAUSE of people believing in climate change.

We are talking up is down, 2+2=5, etc.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

letthereberock posted:

A piece on Brietbart is making the claim that hurricane damage is getting worse BECAUSE of people believing in climate change.

We are talking up is down, 2+2=5, etc.

Thoughts and prayers only makes it stronger :magical:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Not exactly RWM, but NPR was interviewing Elliot Cohen this morning, and he used the term "Benevolent Junta" to describe the phenomenon of Donald surrounding himself with generals who then end up curbing his worst impulses. :allears:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Avirosb posted:

part of the problem lego is in is because they branched out into video games and movies fyi

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Rush is just projecting real hard as per usual. He talks up fear and outrage in service of his commercial goals - thus it is a very obvious rationale to him.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

boner confessor posted:

part of the problem lego is in is because they branched out into video games and movies fyi

I thought those things were popular and making a ton of money but I guess I don't really know anything about business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I know he's not the worst when it comes to actual influence and impact, but my most-hated RWM figure has always been Todd Starnes. He appeals to the very worst of the Republican base, from his trumpeting of the Lost Cause of the Confederacy, to his breathless reports of "Christian persecution", which are never retracted even when they're almost always proven false.

Plenty of conservative pundits do poo poo like that, yeah, but there's just something about how Starnes does it that gets under my skin. He has such an affected "Well shucks, I'm just a home-town country boy, and here's what I think" manner about him, despite looking like he's never even developed a mild tan. Dude would probably faint if required to do an actual morning's worth of farm chores. Despite this, his radio commentaries and columns are him essentially roleplaying as a Dukes of Hazzard character, couching regressive talking points, handed straight down from Fox News higher-ups, in a "Now I ain't no city slicker, so I don't get why these libruls got their saddles in a twists" veneer. It's the most blatant pandering bullshit. At least the Duck Dynasty guys had the excuse of being on reality TV.

Remember his first book, "They Popped My Hood and Found Gravy on the Dipstick"?

gently caress you, Todd Starnes.

Debate & Discussion > Right Wing Media: Duck Dynasty Guys in a Miley Cyrus World.