Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I get the feeling that Cooper was essentially ready to sacrifice himself which is why he created the other Dougie. A noble gesture, but man that was a miscalculation.

I think also he maybe didn't want to go and live with some other dude's wife and kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

paint dry posted:

I think also he maybe didn't want to go and live with some other dude's wife and kid.

no, he 100% wanted to stay, they made his heart so full, after all. he definitely got a new dougie made because he knew he might not come back or get stuck in the lodge again and he didn't want his new family to be left without the father but he has a job to do after all, its telling its the first thing he does when he wakes up, now we know hes been aware the whole time.

i have to wonder tho... is mr.c a tulpa? there seems to be a big thing about reality glitching because coop and mr.c were both out of the lodge so i'm wondering if mr.c is considering a proper doppelganger and the manufactured beings are just the tulpas. as if you the world's very fabric is at stake

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 6, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

paint dry posted:

are you saying cooper didnt want to be cucked?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

What if it's actually just bad writing and that's why so much of it doesn't make sense?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

What if it's actually just bad writing and that's why so much of it doesn't make sense?

Something being open ended doesn't mean it's bad writing.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

SeANMcBAY posted:

Something being open ended doesn't mean it's bad writing.

*8 minute scene of guy sweeping a bar floor*

OH MY GOD ITS REVOLUTIONARY

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Walrus posted:

here's a question: if you could ask david lynch one question about this season and have it answered, excluding the very ending, what would it be?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Tiny Lowtax posted:

*8 minute scene of guy sweeping a bar floor*

OH MY GOD ITS REVOLUTIONARY

Nobody's ever said that any one scene is revolutionary, rather it's the 18-hour whole they create that is revolutionary

also the scene is 2 minutes and 40 seconds :eng101:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The sweeping scene was cool anyways with how it contrasted the banality of upkeep of the bar with the horrifying poo poo about selling women on the phone call right after.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hakkesshu posted:

I get the feeling that Cooper was essentially ready to sacrifice himself which is why he created the other Dougie. A noble gesture, but man that was a miscalculation.

why?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
so mr.c's plan was to find and gently caress judy again and have judys host give birth again so bob could possess judys child again since he mike stopped him the last time (laura). bob just wants to possess his and judys child and become some kind of ultimate being thing.

mr.c doesn't know sarah was judy like leland did because bobs and his host memory are separate and bob does not communicate directly, hence the whole "ah, so you're still with me.. good."

right...?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The sweeping scene is great just because of how much it flusters people. I personally thought it was really funny.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Tiny Lowtax posted:

this isnt the game of thrones thread.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Low Desert Punk posted:

The sweeping scene is great just because of how much it flusters people. I personally thought it was really funny.

It also provided a great break to roll a joint without worrying about missing something.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

esperterra posted:

It also provided a great break to roll a joint without worrying about missing something.

I watched a good amount of The Return while Jerry Horne level stoned, and I don't know if it was a good idea or not. The Roadhouse peformances were really fun though

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I loved the sweeping scene. It happened early on so I wasn't like "OH GOD WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS WHY ARENT THEY ADDRESSING X PLOTLINE". If they had done some long extended shot of nothing in the last episode though I might have been a little more agitated by it.

what year is it??

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db9to1uazmU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Low Desert Punk posted:

I watched a good amount of The Return while Jerry Horne level stoned, and I don't know if it was a good idea or not. The Roadhouse peformances were really fun though

It's the only way to watch prestige TV imo

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Raxivace posted:

The sweeping scene was cool anyways with how it contrasted the banality of upkeep of the bar with the horrifying poo poo about selling women on the phone call right after.

It was also great because green onions is a good song and it gives you some time to think through the important question, "is that seriously ANOTHER Renault brother??" (Yes.)

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

I watched a good amount of The Return while Jerry Horne level stoned, and I don't know if it was a good idea or not.

Did your foot tell you it was not your foot?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

esperterra posted:

It's the only way to watch prestige TV imo

Its the only way to watch any TV

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

paint dry posted:

I don't think any of The Return was intentionally written as a "cocktease" to annoy viewers. This is just the story that Frost and Lynch wanted to tell.

It can be both things.

I mean, it's a show where they made an effort of giving roles, even pretty small ones, to many original cast members, but the main character is turned into a dumbass for the overwhelming majority of the runtime: they know they're being unconventional.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its the only way to watch any TV

Also true.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_VcgxDGRM

seems to imply cooper and dianes sex in the motel was all part of firemans plan. two birds, one stone.

is diane meant to get pregnant and the kid be...? sara..h.

i gotta start smoking poo poo.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
One thing that's been bothering me is that conversation Gordon says he had with Cooper and Briggs, when they planned to take out Judy

When is that supposed to have happened? If I understood it correctly, he says it happened right before Briggs death, but that would mean it was Bad Cooper instead, Cooper was already in the Black Lodge. But then I cant make sense of it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Elias_Maluco posted:

One thing that's been bothering me is that conversation Gordon says he had with Cooper and Briggs, when they planned to take out Judy

When is that supposed to have happened? If I understood it correctly, he says it happened right before Briggs death, but that would mean it was Bad Cooper instead, Cooper was already in the Black Lodge. But then I cant make sense of it

Briggs fake death probably. I don't think Gordon knew he was actually still alive until the events of s3 and it doesn't seem that weird that he's forget a detail like that whole recounting the far past

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seems like it happened towards the end of the original show. Coop says the thing about "If I disappear like the others, do your best to find me"

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well for example, here are some of the lyrics to Eddie Vedder's song:

When viewing, I laughed out loud at the lyric "drunk octopus wants to fight" which can only be a reference to that silly coathanger meme

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

mr.c big plan was to find the electric pole that looked like the symbol, because its still bobs ultimate goal to possess laura SHE IS THE ONE and he knew she was still alive in that other reality but didn't have the coordinates for the entrance. (she has judy esseesse remember, when she takes her face off, also, you know, sarahs daughter...)

if we take paradox in account because laura always screams at coopers shadow back in fire walk with me, he is always there, then there's always been two twin timelines interweaving, one where mike fixes coopers first attempt at saving laura (because cooper told her to not take the ring in the dream and the ring stops the possession/transports person to the lodge after death) and other timeline being laura going missing

Through the darkness of future past
The magican longs to see

One chants out between two worlds

Fire walk with me

the one chant out between two worlds is sarah shouting LAURA the morning after her death which causes laura to remember everything, turning the missing timeline into darkness and flicking back to the laura is dead timeline for the 8 infinity loop jefferies mentions to keep happening again over and over.

as we get to the end of the laura is dead timeline, time starts to splinter and glitch the closer we get to cooper starting the infinity loop when he goes to see jefferies at 2.53.

audrey is still in the coma.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 6, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Vikar Jerome posted:

mr.c big plan was to find the electric pole that looked like the symbol, because its still bobs ultimate goal to possess laura SHE IS THE ONE and he knew she was still alive in that other reality but didn't have the coordinates for the entrance. (she has judy esseesse remember, when she takes her face off, also, you know, sarahs daughter...)

if we take paradox in account because laura always screams at coopers shadow back in fire walk with me, he is always there, then there's always been two twin timelines interweaving, one where mike fixes coopers first attempt at saving laura (because cooper told her to not take the ring in the dream and the ring stops the possession/transports person to the lodge after death) and other timeline being laura going missing

Through the darkness of future past
The magican longs to see

One chants out between two worlds

Fire walk with me

the one chant out between two worlds is sarah shouting LAURA the morning after her death which causes laura to remember everything, turning the missing timeline into darkness and flicking back to the laura is dead timeline for the 8 infinity loop jefferies mentions to keep happening again over and over.

as we get to the end of the laura is dead timeline, time starts to splinter and glitch the closer we get to cooper starting the infinity loop when he goes to see jefferies at 2.53.

audrey is still in the coma.

Make sense. And Cooper's face over that whole scene after BOB is defeated is future (or out of time) Cooper watching himself as he initiate the loop

cis autodrag posted:

Briggs fake death probably. I don't think Gordon knew he was actually still alive until the events of s3 and it doesn't seem that weird that he's forget a detail like that whole recounting the far past

yeah, that's probably it

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Elias_Maluco posted:

We don't know the manner in which this conversation occurred. Maybe it was a dream in which the Major and Coop relayed this information. it's quite clear that coop with the aid of mike have been planning this operation for some time. However cole did say that coop told him "if I ever disappear like the others, do everything you can to find me" which implies that coop told cole this prior to disappearing into the lodge at end of S2.

Maybe coop via his discussions with briggs learned about the destructive force which Jeffries and Cole referred to as "Judy" but Cooper didn't know the name. Hence why bad coop is searching for the entity that is Judy but didn't know the name.

Or it was all just a mistake and it doesn't deserve further discussion.

G-III fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 6, 2017

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

i dont know why i'm surprised at these ending reactions. people continuously crying out for meat and substance and when they get it's just loving complaining. i think my favourite reaction to the series has been poo poo like "what's with these info dumps and expositions!?" and then two posts later it's like "why doesn't lynch explain anything!?"

That's a mischaracterization.

The issue is that a lot of the show is very cryptic. It does not really convey meaning well. It seems like because of this, after a few episodes, there are these very direct scenes where a character just tells another character exactly what's been going on.

It comes across as if the show is always at danger of getting bogged down in its own nonsense and needs these inartful exposition scenes to get back on track. Which makes it seem like the show just has a narrative problem that's being resolved in the most obvious way possible.

If we didn't know anything about the production history of this show, we would think the exposition scenes were forcibly inserted by the studio after they saw the series and didn't understand anything.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 6, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

goddamn hes forever going to be in this loop because its the only loving way to totally protect laura from getting possessed by bob and ending existence, presumably. bob never goes back into the lodge after he leaves with mr.c so he too is stuck in this loop, if he were to go back into the lodge, with that existing outside of time and space, he'd able to stop the loop.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

eSporks posted:

This is one thing that kinda irks me the wrong way. The only Diane we ever got to know was an unreliable narrator, we can't really trust or believe much of anything she said. Then Naido being Diane just felt really cheap and contrived, there doesn't seem to be any reason for it or meaning. It wasn't really set up either, just "this random character you know nothing about is now this other random character you know nothing about". Her passionate embrace with Coop after this reveal lacked all emotion for me too. Up this point the only thing we know is that they kissed once (maybe), we never saw a romance develop between them. The worst part is that all of a sudden Diane, this character we still know nothing about is all of a sudden important enough to go a on a quest to an alternate dimension to confront horrific evil.

The Diane arc is cheap, weaker, and more contrived than the Freddie one.

This is one of the things that rubs me the wrong way about the show too.

I don't really see any good reason why the character of Diane (and her role in the story and in the finale) couldn't have just been replaced by Audrey. The emotional beats would have all been there, and it would have worked better because 1) there would be more meaning to her and Cooper's relationship 2) there would have been more meaning to the audience finding out the first character was a fake.

If I had to guess, the actual reason why Diane is there is simply because Lynch has a close collaboration with Laura Dern, wanted her in for a big role, and made her prominent in the finale because, should the story continue, she'd then be an important part of it.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This is pretty interesting analysis, but I feel like this point is too damaging. Bob kills and rapes a ton of people after Laura. It's hard to say she defeated him in any meaningful way.

Bob put all his energy into making Laura into his new vessel. Then she dies and Bob has no other suitable (willing) vessel lined up. Leland is damaged and then destroyed, leaving no presence of Bob in the real world, until Cooper bumbles into the lodge, and Bob catches a ride out in the doppelganger.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I could understand thinking Annie made more sense than Diane, but Cooper just flatout never had any kind of interest in Audrey in the original series. Had they actually ended up together that would reeked of unwarranted fanservice. I would legit buy Cooper going gay with Harry Truman (Both the President and the sheriff) before I bought him getting with Audrey.

Diane, at the very least, was the one Cooper was excitedly talking to through his tape recorder in scene after scene. It's lot easier for me to buy him having something for a close co-worker like that than some high school girl he talked to like seven times (Or even Annie considering how little he actually knew her too but that's a flaw with season 2 IMO).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Annie being a s2 flaw was due to that overall storyline/relationship originally involving Audrey, til LFB got pissy.

e: having audrey and coop get together now would be weird af, but to say he had no interest in her in the original series is silly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

It doesn't make sense either way, Bad Coop had all the memories of Good Coop up until the split, that would mean if Cooper had been in on a plan to destroy Judy he would already have an understanding of what 'Judy' is when he confronts Jeffries. Considering how egregious that seeming retcon is and how it fails to match up with the events shown as well I have to wonder if Gordon was deliberately lying to Albert for reasons unknown.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Raxivace posted:

I could understand thinking Annie made more sense than Diane, but Cooper just flatout never had any kind of interest in Audrey in the original series. Had they actually ended up together that would reeked of unwarranted fanservice. I would legit buy Cooper going gay with Harry Truman (Both the President and the sheriff) before I bought him getting with Audrey.

Diane, at the very least, was the one Cooper was excitedly talking to through his tape recorder in scene after scene. It's lot easier to buy him having something for a close co-worker like that than some high school girl he talked to like seven times (Or even Annie considering how little he actually knew her too but that's a flaw with season 2 IMO).

I agree, it would not make any sense to be Audrey. But the way Cooper immediately kisses Diane right after they meet, like they were lovers meeting togheter finally, was a bit weird to me too. During the original series, he didint seems to have any romantic interest on Diane, and then he starts a relantionship with Annie, which Cooper would never if he had something going on with Diane. Diane says they had something in the past, but it seemed to be a one time thing, not like they had something going on

To be fair, even Diane seemed to find it a bit unexpected too, so maybe there's something here

multijoe posted:

It doesn't make sense either way, Bad Coop had all the memories of Good Coop up until the split, that would mean if Cooper had been in on a plan to destroy Judy he would already have an understanding of what 'Judy' is when he confronts Jeffries. Considering how egregious that seeming retcon is and how it fails to match up with the events shown as well I have to wonder if Gordon was deliberately lying to Albert for reasons unknown.

To be honest, it seemed a blantant retcon to me too at first, but then it doenst seems like something Lynch would do, so I was trying to make sense of it. I agree to your points: its really weird if it happened before Cooper went into the lodge and Bad Cooper knows nothing about it, but then it makes even lesse sense if it happened after. Maybe it happened in a dream, like someone said above, but then it kinda weird that Gordon talks of it like it was a real world conversation

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also on the subject of Judy, I don't think it and 'Mother' are the same being and Sarah Palmer is possessed by the latter and not the former. BOB and Bad Coop have no idea what Judy is whereas BOB is spawned by Mother and later possessed a young Sarah Palmer with the assistance of the Woodsmen, indicating they're all members of the Black Lodge and on some level aware of each other. Additionally, when Laura is whisked away from Cooper Sarah is still driven wild with rage at Cooper saving her and doesn't seem to be aware or complicit of her being sent to Odessa, where she ends up working at ... Judy's. I think Mother is essentially just the source of the terrible but faintly comprehensible aliens of the Black Lodge whereas Judy is a far more abstract and hard to define concept of suffering, Mother appears as an human-esque avatar and slices up teenagers heads, Judy makes Laura work in a miserable diner and get sexually harassed.