Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh, I don't use it for work, god. I'd alienate our entire customer base. Yeah, get that software guy who keeps to himself to do our social media, he'll be sure to hype up big data consulting with his pure sex appeal.

It's about news for me. Syncing a timeline isn't really important for me, if something is old I can find it elsewhere, the point is the new - which is why I like columns, I can follow lots of things, without having it in my personal feed.

Anyhow, Apple sympathized with buying something you don't like, and issued me a refund. I've never been more disappointed by a piece of software that I thought was going to be great, and I bought Spore. I'm glad you could share it with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
The only reason I use TweetBot over actual Twitter apps is because of the timeline syncing. I'm one of those weirdos who wants to actually read everything instead of just sipping a firehose.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Yeah, web apps are garbage and timeline sync is essential if you read everything, so I like Tweetbot on iOS and macOS. I could not care less about columns or dark mode, though. Also, no ads, promoted accounts to follow, reordered timelines or “things people you follow liked”, etc. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

jawbroken posted:

Also, no ads, promoted accounts to follow, reordered timelines or “things people you follow liked”, etc

Never see any of that with TweetDeck either!

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
My 2012 Air dies before it's at 0% left battery. The battery is not working as intended, I know, but when I booted it with the charger the battery said 0%? It died at around 50%. Also the screen went black but iTunes kept playing a podcast for half a minute. Is there anyway to make it display correct percentage left somehow?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, replace the battery. $129 according to the list..

https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

ufarn
May 30, 2009

von Braun posted:

My 2012 Air dies before it's at 0% left battery. The battery is not working as intended, I know, but when I booted it with the charger the battery said 0%? It died at around 50%. Also the screen went black but iTunes kept playing a podcast for half a minute. Is there anyway to make it display correct percentage left somehow?
Click your battery icon; should say "Service battery". RIP your battery.

If you live in a place with Apple Store, buy a replacement battery.

Be (very, very) aware that dying batteries inflate and will basically warp your laptop from the inside, so don't take toooo long to device on what you do. Most likely, the inflation is messing with a connector cord for you screen.

You can also buy battery + kit from iFixit.

Which reminds me I still need to tighten my TrackPad after I got my own MBA'12 fixed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been using Crashplan for a few years. My extended sub won't run out until June of next year so there's no pressure to make a quick switch. I'm most tempted by Arq/cloud but would like to see the app mature.

At worst I can take the Crashplan for Business 75% off deal and delay the switch into 2019.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

Remember when you guys were pointing everyone to CrashPlan and a few of us were like "nah I make my own backups"?
https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/22/16184430/crashplan-home-shutting-down

If you have like 2TB backed up, you'll want to switch sooner than later - depending on your connection it might take a couple months to upload that 2TB to another provider.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I was backblaze or similar, I'd be working out a way of doing a direct transfer of data from CrashPlan about now and secure a good chunk of their customers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EL BROMANCE posted:

If I was backblaze or similar, I'd be working out a way of doing a direct transfer of data from CrashPlan about now and secure a good chunk of their customers.

Crashplan probably doesn't want to work with them. It appears they are pushing people to Carbonite. But, Backblaze has done a decent blog post about moving over

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-to-migrate-your-data-from-crashplan/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh yeah this would be explicitly against CPs desires. Sometimes you have to play dirty, and if it saves customers TBs of uploads, then all is good. I'll have to read that blog just out of curiosity, as my data is already with BB.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Axiem posted:

The only reason I use TweetBot over actual Twitter apps is because of the timeline syncing. I'm one of those weirdos who wants to actually read everything instead of just sipping a firehose.

Yeah, for my main timeline I don't care but I have 3-4 lists where I do go through and read everything and this is a big plus. I also just leave them open and don't mess with them but that sort of janitoring is obviously pretty bad. My real pain point with Tweetbot on either platform is no group DMs. I wonder, like polls, if that's something they just don't expose to the API?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'm quite happy with Tweetbot on iOS, and it was fine on MacOS until it stopped keeping the timeline at the most recent tweet, even though the option is checked to do so. Otherwise, it's a twitter client.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Tenterhooks posted:

A wee question about Dropbox and different users on macOS: On my MacBook, I have my main user account for my regular work and a second account that I use for occasional lecturing gigs (basically an account I can switch to when connected to a projector that has a nice clean desktop / a different email setup etc). I'd like to use the same Dropbox account for each as I have tons of files that relate to both jobs. I often use Dropbox on iOS to access the stuff too.

Can I share a Dropbox account between these two 'users' in a way that won't take up twice the SSD space on my machine? Going with the defaults, Dropbox treats each as a separate computer and therefore stores a two copies of each file, one for my regular setup and one for my lecturing setup. Will moving Dropbox to the Shared folder solve my problem or will that cause all sorts of sync weirdness?

You should be able to use Selective Sync (available in Preferences) to force each account's Dropbox installation to sync only relevant folders. All files will remain available through the web and app.
I've not actually tested it in the way you intend to use it, but I'm positive it'll work.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I liked how Echofon kept itself synced between ios and macos clients, but the mac client hasn't been updated in decades, so I switched over to Night Owl/Yorufukurou. It also hasn't been updated in ages, but it actually shows thumbs for multiple attachments. More importantly, I can leave it for hours and come back to a thousand tweets — there isn't any real limit to how long it'll keep tweets (unlike echofon), although it gets laggy after a few days (so maybe 6–8k tweets?). Despite that, it doesn't really use much memory, somehow. Probably because it doesn't store images/thumbs besides user icons. It also lets you make custom tabs with regex or whatever, which is probably useful to someone. I just kinda read/skim over everything in my TL.

there now it's not someone's horror film set
It is kinda annoying that to switch between images you have to use the mouse — there's a keyboard shortcut for drat near everything except switching between images (just E to open/close the first one)

You can even theme it, although since it doesn't actually affect the window as well, you'd just end up with white text on a black field, and also a white text box/UI

The biggest issue is that since it hasn't really been updated in ages, its image upload service options are Mobypic (eh), img.ly (dead?) or "custom api," which needs to be xml. So you can't actually use twitter, which will likely annoy people because instead of an inline image, it's a link/card. Also, tweets with a total length of over 140 characters get truncated to "some text and a link to the tweet," because it counts usernames and links. So you'd need to open those in a browser to see the remaining word or whatever. Also no video, so you kinda have to guess if something's a video/gif or not. That may or may not be a downside. It also doesn't follow twitter's mute rules, so you'd have to set them in app. You can use regex there, too, if you'd like. (As well as blocking specific users, hashtags, keywords, applications…)

As for sync, it uses tweet marker, so it should work with whatever else does. I just use the regular twitter client or echofon on my phone, and pretty rarely, so I haven't really tested it out or anything. Although I think it at least keeps synced with Tween on windows, now that I think about it.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 26, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What the gently caress, dude?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The picture? It's some mini house.

Donno why it's got a bathtub full of blood, but mini models are neat.

There now it is a sunrise.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 26, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Taking a step back from disturbing GIS searches back to backups, I appear to be the only person using Amazon Drive. $60/year for 1tb. It doesn’t auto sync folders, but it’s easier to navigate than Amazon Glacier.

It already saved my bacon once when I realized I had somehow deleted all my local copies of my post graduate work. Although I should probably just let Tim Cook’s loving arms embrace me and go full iCloud since I’m not backing up from PC’s anymore.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I don't know if this is a software thing, or a hardware honestly. I'm on a Macbook Pro 2013 13" and the HDMI really doesn't seem like it wants to work. It always worked when I was at home, I'm now travelling and it doesn't seem to work. I'm not home until the end of October where I 100% know that it should work. As it is, I plug the HDMI cable in and it doesn't display but does lead to some form of slowdown for a while before working again.

I'm using HDMI cables that definitely work with other things (TV boxes of all sorts). I've tried holding the option key down and pressing detect displays, but it did nothing. I reset SMC (I think but there was no way to know for certain). I used the combo update.

Help!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2008 non unibody MBP
High Sierra Beta 7
APFS startup disk on an SSD
USB3 shoehorned on this thing too
Not meant to be!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Somewhere, the Woz is crying tears of joy and doesn't know why.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Woz wouldn't give two shits about a Mac, only thing that might bring him to tears is Apple finally releasing the ROM04 //gs with built-in 3.5 UniDisk and 4 MB RAM, and an 8 MHz 65816.

Or Kathy Griffin kicking him in the cojones. Of the two, this is much more likely.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sad Panda posted:

I'm using HDMI cables that definitely work with other things (TV boxes of all sorts). I've tried holding the option key down and pressing detect displays, but it did nothing. I reset SMC (I think but there was no way to know for certain). I used the combo update.

Help!

NVRAM reset is your next step: cmd-opt-P-R at power-on, hold the keys until the second chime.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

2008 non unibody MBP
High Sierra Beta 7
APFS startup disk on an SSD
USB3 shoehorned on this thing too
Not meant to be!

Hell yes, you are a mad scientist. text me

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mllaneza posted:

NVRAM reset is your next step: cmd-opt-P-R at power-on, hold the keys until the second chime.

This will forever be the PRAM reset for me... :corsair:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I had to reinstall OSX (El Cap, 10.11.6) and can't figure out how to use the trackpad gesture to show the dashboard. I used to be able to swipe left with three fingers and it would bring it up. I [i]have[i] activated the dashboard as a space in the system preferences but the gesture doesn't work, and all the help pages I find on the topic are for Yosemite. I'm definitely missing something obvious, what is it?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

This may be more appropriate for a hardware thread, but I have a question related to Time Machine:

I'm interested in buying an external HD to plug into my router and use as a TM backup. My router has USB 2.0 ports. Will it make any difference if I plug a HD into one of those versus getting a HD with an Ethernet plug? Will the speed increase from Ethernet matter if I'm backing up wirelessly? Also, would it even be worth the price increase of getting an HD with Ethernet?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get a proper NAS that has an ethernet port.

I suggest a synology 2 bay one, e.g. https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/DS216

This will be faster and more stable than your "USB hdd into router" janky as all hell method.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The other benefit is that the Synology (and the WD MyCloud NAS) will also advertise the the Time Machine service on the network correctly. I've had zero issues with using Time Machine on my Synology and none with the MyCloud EX2 before that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have a fake NAS that uses USB and I really wish I'd gotten a real NAS.

Don't skimp on NAS's.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Van Dis posted:

I had to reinstall OSX (El Cap, 10.11.6) and can't figure out how to use the trackpad gesture to show the dashboard. I used to be able to swipe left with three fingers and it would bring it up. I [i]have[i] activated the dashboard as a space in the system preferences but the gesture doesn't work, and all the help pages I find on the topic are for Yosemite. I'm definitely missing something obvious, what is it?

This is from a while back, but I think I remember you have to disable any other three finger gestures that might be enabled before you can use the three finger swipe to change spaces.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Last Chance posted:

This is from a while back, but I think I remember you have to disable any other three finger gestures that might be enabled before you can use the three finger swipe to change spaces.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried this and it didn't work. What's weird is that there isn't even an option for dashboard control in the trackpad settings:

The only place it gets mentioned is the keyboard settings, where I could change the keyboard shortcut, but not substitute a trackpad gesture. How the heck did I do this before?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Van Dis posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried this and it didn't work. What's weird is that there isn't even an option for dashboard control in the trackpad settings:

The only place it gets mentioned is the keyboard settings, where I could change the keyboard shortcut, but not substitute a trackpad gesture. How the heck did I do this before?

Mission Control prefpane (this is 11.6)

e. Obviously, you don't wan't "as an overlay" set. "As a space" should pop Dashboard on the far left.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Zenostein posted:

Mission Control prefpane (this is 11.6)

e. Obviously, you don't wan't "as an overlay" set. "As a space" should pop Dashboard on the far left.

Van Dis posted:

That's where I started, yo. The dropdown gives mouse options, but no gestures, unless I'm misreading it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Edit: wrong thread

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a Bash-compatible terminal alternative that'll get me cool things like autocompletion and better navigation of my git repository? I gave Fish Shell another try after an earlier bad experience with it and a third-party application that was unable to install when Fish was the default terminal environment, and once again I ran into issues with things not working under Fish. This time it was an NPM dependency being unable to detect the terminal environment, which prevented our webapp from compiling.

I just want to be able to use Powerline fonts and autocomplete in a standard Bash setup, is that too much to ask?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Every time I go on vacation Back to My Mac and the built in screen sharing quits working. When someone goes to my house to feed the cats, I have them reboot my iMac and it starts working again. Is there anything I can do remotely to fix this myself? It's a pain in the rear end.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

install your own vnc server and punch a hole in the firewall for it because that apple screen sharing has never been reliable for me

Pivo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

IAmKale posted:

Is there a Bash-compatible terminal alternative that'll get me cool things like autocompletion and better navigation of my git repository? I gave Fish Shell another try after an earlier bad experience with it and a third-party application that was unable to install when Fish was the default terminal environment, and once again I ran into issues with things not working under Fish. This time it was an NPM dependency being unable to detect the terminal environment, which prevented our webapp from compiling.

I just want to be able to use Powerline fonts and autocomplete in a standard Bash setup, is that too much to ask?

zsh with Oh My Zsh?