Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If you can't even "catch 'em all" in a Pokemon game, then what's the point? Sure, it's fine if you need to trade for a couple, but you should have them all in the game, even if they're unobtainable. Otherwise why bother?

Also you can't not have the fully evolutionary tree, this isn't a Ranger game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I hate everything about Adam

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Is Adam better or worse than MNo9's hours long list of backers?

Robindaybird posted:

A Gengar hoodie would be cute if given a different design,, Adam's just looks kind of dumb.

Remove the front face. Long, Gengar-purple sleeves. The hood and collar should be Gengar's head and mouth. Basically a Gengar Halloween costume, but without the bottom/legs.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ometeotl posted:

I hate everything about Adam

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. There's something so... egregious about his presence.

I mean even on the other side of skirtman haha, and the religious fundamentalists, and the acres of bad dialogue on all fronts, and the tone-dead grimdark of CURIE and the Garlikid side stuff, and every single intensely bad gameplay decision put into the game, I kind of want to say that Adam is somehow the worst thing in the game. I'm not sure I can adequately put it into words, it's just a profound sense of seething annoyance.

If I had to guess it's because Adam is sort of the Zenith of fangamery. A backer not only gets put in the game they're really super important and interesting you guys and he's there for the really cool quest where you get our fanmade legendary that rounds out boring old Heatran (who we won't put in the game) and Adam so super special that he has a Gengar (even without Ghastly and Haunter) and not just any Gengar it's obviously a MEGA Gengar because he's the best you guys. Somehow it's even worse that it's not a self-insert. He was just some doofus who (I assume) donated and helped the dev team and they responded by making him the keystone character of a post-game sidequest. Adam represents the insularity and smug self-assuredness that wafts through Uranium. They were gonna make a REAL Pokemans game for REAL Pokemon big boys like themselves and that core conceit seems to be why Uranium is such a trashpile.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this or assuming too much or just being totally unfair, but there's something about Adam and that Gengar hoodie that makes me want to kick him into a lava pit.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Schubalts posted:

Remove the front face. Long, Gengar-purple sleeves. The hood and collar should be Gengar's head and mouth. Basically a Gengar Halloween costume, but without the bottom/legs.

make the sleeves and actual body of the hoodie loose

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Is it possible to breed the Daft Punk Pokemon? Because if it is, that makes them marginally less awful. Marginally.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Omnicrom posted:

a MEGA Gengar because he's the best you guys.

The other post-game elite trainers, including the guardians of the watering can, have mega rings, too.

There's also Paul, who has the Syrentideite, and I forgot to even fight him since I got mine from Vaeryn.

He has a worse theme. His Pokemon have nicknames.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I am actually in shock that the postgame of Pokemon Uranium is still finding new ways to be horrible garbage.

Let's take a function that has been so simple and critical to the series that it's basically ingrained into common memory for anyone who has played the franchise at this point, and randomly make it instead teleport you to a post-game sidequest where the things you can catch from it are level 90. And then only let you capture one of them even if you actually were walking around with your top-end monsters/somehow got a Master Ball.

Why. Make it something like have both of them randomly show up in your PC box instead, without any warning. There, you still get to mess with the player, but it's not done in a horribly dumb and stupid way.

Adam having a Gengar is also a slap to the face for a different reason, because it gives you false hope that you can actually get the Ghastly/Haunter/Gengar line in-game. Everything else is just the usual stuff you would expect to see out of a fangame, but that's just legit atrocious design.

It's not like Mega Gengar would do poo poo against Inflatgtah anyways.

Epicmissingno posted:

Is it possible to breed the Daft Punk Pokemon? Because if it is, that makes them marginally less awful. Marginally.

Of course not, this is Pokemon Uranium, so Ditto doesn't exist.

EDIT:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

[The worst thing ever]

Delete this game. With screenshots of it being done.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 6, 2017

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What's the reference?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Of course not, this is Pokemon Uranium, so Ditto doesn't exist.

Psssh, who needs Ditto when you've got Uranium's improved version, fresh off the Xerox: Duplicat!

The game is bad but I'm not seeing what makes it horrible garbage or a crime against humanity or whatever. I guess my standards are just lower.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Munin posted:

What's the reference?

Otohime is from One Piece (and a giant mermaid princess so that's appropriate) and Fii is from No Game No Life, I don't get any of the other ones

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, the Daft Punk is definitely Uranium dumb but the other thing is general Pokemon dumb. You had to choose one Hitmon in Kanto and one Lati in Emerald, after all.

It's a terrible thing that should not be repeated in a fangame but by this point I don't expect the people behind fangames to actually understand what makes their inspirations fun so instead they'll just copy everything even when it sucks.

Even then, you never had to capture a legendary in a double battle against two level 90 legendaries at once. That's still Uranium dumb.

Omnicrom posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. There's something so... egregious about his presence.

I mean even on the other side of skirtman haha, and the religious fundamentalists, and the acres of bad dialogue on all fronts, and the tone-dead grimdark of CURIE and the Garlikid side stuff, and every single intensely bad gameplay decision put into the game, I kind of want to say that Adam is somehow the worst thing in the game. I'm not sure I can adequately put it into words, it's just a profound sense of seething annoyance.

If I had to guess it's because Adam is sort of the Zenith of fangamery. A backer not only gets put in the game they're really super important and interesting you guys and he's there for the really cool quest where you get our fanmade legendary that rounds out boring old Heatran (who we won't put in the game) and Adam so super special that he has a Gengar (even without Ghastly and Haunter) and not just any Gengar it's obviously a MEGA Gengar because he's the best you guys. Somehow it's even worse that it's not a self-insert. He was just some doofus who (I assume) donated and helped the dev team and they responded by making him the keystone character of a post-game sidequest. Adam represents the insularity and smug self-assuredness that wafts through Uranium. They were gonna make a REAL Pokemans game for REAL Pokemon big boys like themselves and that core conceit seems to be why Uranium is such a trashpile.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this or assuming too much or just being totally unfair, but there's something about Adam and that Gengar hoodie that makes me want to kick him into a lava pit.

People like Adam are why Major\Minor got made.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
People like Adam is why Pokémon Reborn get made.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blockhouse posted:

Otohime is from One Piece (and a giant mermaid princess so that's appropriate) and Fii is from No Game No Life, I don't get any of the other ones

That could be the reference, but Otohime is originally from a Japanese fairy tale, and thus the name origin for a lot of different Otohimes across Japanese media so I don't know if this person is cribbing from One Piece specifically. Fii meanwhile is uncommon enough you could well be right. I assume I'd recognize Zakkun is also an unambiguous reference to a thing assuming I knew said thing since that's not a common name for a thing.

As for the rest I'm guessing they're all anime references because this person's team is basically a warcrime, but there are any number of MY ANIMES LET ME SHOW YOU THEM with characters named Aki, Haruka, and Asami.

Folt The Bolt posted:

People like Adam is why Pokémon Reborn get made.

You know? That could very well be why he offends me viscerally.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Adam's stupid for the gengar reasons and tying it to a ~legendary sidequest~ is silly but high tier kickstarter backers getting into the games beyond just a name in the credits isn't that unusual. He could have been the rival or something and been much more obnoxious. so it didn't phase me as much as "randomly and with one single chance get one of two level 90 pokemon who are daft punk references for some reason" and "heatran is in a trio now! heatran is not in the game"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
there's no way this dude knows otohime from the fairy tale and not one piece

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think there is anything really wrong with big donators getting awkward or weird inclusions in the game especially in optional post game areas. Like honestly, it's kinda legitimately neat that they even went to the effort of getting said backer's favourite Pokemon in the game when it wouldn't be otherwise.

Also,

The other post-game elite trainers, including the guardians of the watering can, have mega rings, too.

Guardians of the Watering Can is a really funny phrase. Do they really not just give it to you?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah, agreed that this dude did nothing wrong it's not like the awful kickstarter backer stuff in pillars of eternity

There's nothing weird or out of place about him and I honestly wouldn't have known he was a backer insert if OFS hadn't pointed it out

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Gengar is a cool and good Pokemon.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm on the side that Adam is lame and annoying in a very masturbatory way, but then again after Major/Minor I've been warped and twisted in ways I can never recover from

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Adam's okay. He honestly seems almost bland compared to the rest of the game.

I mean, I think the hoodie is cute, and his horror over us murdering a legendary was hilarious.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, I think the hoodie is cute, and his horror over us murdering a legendary was hilarious.

Yeah, if nothing else, the faint chuckle there is the closest Uranium has ever gotten to producing a positive emotion.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
that little reset bit has me wondering if there are any romhacks that try to recreate an undertale meta narrative

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Raserys posted:

that little reset bit has me wondering if there are any romhacks that try to recreate an undertale meta narrative

Rockman CX has an atrociously difficult fight with Dr. Light (who's basically Ryu) and he'll do Sans-style chats with you at the beginning of each attempt.

But uh, good luck finding a romhack that has a narrative of any kind that's worth a drat. People that can write good stories generally have better things to do with their time than hack ROMs.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

inthesto posted:

I'm on the side that Adam is lame and annoying in a very masturbatory way, but then again after Major/Minor I've been warped and twisted in ways I can never recover from

I stopped reading that one around the time the band manager rigged the concert hall with bombs for no apparent reason

Adam would be less awful if he wasn't pretty much the only motherfucker with an actual pokemon instead of a uranium fakemon

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also,

Guardians of the Watering Can is a really funny phrase. Do they really not just give it to you?

They really do not just give it to you.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

I stopped reading that one around the time the band manager rigged the concert hall with bombs for no apparent reason

Adam would be less awful if he wasn't pretty much the only motherfucker with an actual pokemon instead of a uranium fakemon

Gyarados/Gliscor/Espeon/Ampharos/Whimsicott/Gengar would work in Uranium's currently implemented 'dex, just throwing that out there.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Gyarados/Gliscor/Espeon/Ampharos/Whimsicott/Gengar would work in Uranium's currently implemented 'dex, just throwing that out there.

You know I actually forgot that you literally got a gliscor in the same update

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Adam's actual team is S51-A/Coatlith//Beliaddon/Nucleon/Chainite/Gengar so it might just be what he thought was cool.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

GeneX posted:

You missed a wild ride along with some of the stupidest reveals in video game land.

But has a Uranium is, Major/Minor is absolutely worse

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Adam's actual team is S51-A/Coatlith//Beliaddon/Nucleon/Chainite/Gengar so it might just be what he thought was cool.

Of course the guy in a gengar hoodie likes chainite

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Robindaybird posted:

You missed a wild ride along with some of the stupidest reveals in video game land.

But has a Uranium is, Major/Minor is absolutely worse

You gotta link this, I need more trainwreck.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Galick posted:

Here you go

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Adam really doesn't seem too bad. I don't see what the big deal is?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Galick posted:

Mystery is fire. Truth burns.

e: beaten because I made a reference to a better game

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

An official pokemon game would do the PC mess thing by having you arrive at a new town, use the PC and it's messed up, then when you quit out a Nurse walks up to you and says "yo help us out here" and it turns out there's a level-appropriate Porygon or Rotom or something messing poo poo up in a back room.

Or they wouldn't do it at all because there's a reason every town has a PC free of use!

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Dabir posted:

An official pokemon game would do the PC mess thing by having you arrive at a new town, use the PC and it's messed up, then when you quit out a Nurse walks up to you and says "yo help us out here" and it turns out there's a level-appropriate Porygon or Rotom or something messing poo poo up in a back room.

Or they wouldn't do it at all because there's a reason every town has a PC free of use!
An official pokemon game would handle it with having an entirely seperate PC that's some sort of new terminal or device .that's messing up, leaving the normal PC/services alone, or like, have it clear that there's something odd going on, and it doesn't throw you into it unwittingly, and it doesn't lock you out of using the PC

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

XavierGenisi posted:

An official pokemon game would handle it with having an entirely seperate PC that's some sort of new terminal or device .that's messing up, leaving the normal PC/services alone, or like, have it clear that there's something odd going on, and it doesn't throw you into it unwittingly, and it doesn't lock you out of using the PC

An official Pokemon game would have also put this encounter somewhere around halfway through the game, leveled it appropriately and then let you return for the other one in the post game, probably by requiring you have the one you caught in your party, and possibly just giving the drat thing to you without a fight.

If you do have to fight it it'd be 50:50 whether the second one would be at it's original mid-game level or boosted to post-game levels. And it still definitely wouldn't be level loving 90.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 7, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Or trigger a plot flag involving computers/digitized pokemon, and have a phone call from some unknown source commenting on what a nice place you got, it wants to live there - and check your house, nothing, but check your PC and there's a pokemon sitting in your PC Box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I mean seriously, the only time you even see level 90 stuff outside of deep postgame is the final battle in G/S/C. It's utterly ridiculous and there's a reason they don't require it in the official games anymore because getting up to that level legit is a tedious slog.

Hell, I think competitive is standardized at 50, and competitive is chock-full of grogs that will happily sit there for hours getting the perfect nature, ability and IVs.

• Locked thread