Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
*squeezes lemon juice all over face in an attempt to disappear*

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Don't touch the twitter poop.

Yah I know I made my first mistake there, but I guess I didn't realize it was THAT bad.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hellblazer187 posted:

Why don't we just call it the Ben Carson Effect? He was a genius at Neurosurgery but doesn't know poo poo about urban development.

Was he really a genius at neurosurgery though? Just because you have a doctorate in something doesn't mean you're a genius at it. You'd think it does, but it really doesn't.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MrSargent posted:

I normally lurk but came here to post a rather interesting interaction I have had today. I have been more active on Twitter as of late and made the mistake of arguing that "false accusations of sexual assault are very rare and saying they are just as bad as actual sexual assaults ignores that the chances of a woman being assaulted in her lifetime are astronomically higher than being falsely accused". This was in response to a rapper tweeting about false accusations irresponsibly (in my opinion).

I ended up making an analogy of the situation to when white people say "All Lives Matter" because "white people are killed by cops too". This statement, much like the one on false claims, ignores that certain groups (people of color) are FAR more likely to be the victims of police brutality. After that post, someone responded by calling me a Jew, telling me to go back to Israel, and putting my name in the (((Echoes))). Now random users have replied to my comments with nothing but "Jew" or similar anti-semitic poo poo. This is loving insane that this is allowed to happen on Twitter and it isn't even subtle. I ended up just not responding to anything they said because it obviously isn't worth it but I have never seen something like that before and it was eye-opening to say the least.

all social media is really bad because any random jackass or even bot can get on there to just call everyone slurs and as bad as something awful is at least there is some slight disincentive to not be a total rear end in a top hat on here

dunning-kruger is when someone isn't smart enough (lacks metacognition) to realize that they aren't smart

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

empty whippet box posted:

Was he really a genius at neurosurgery though? Just because you have a doctorate in something doesn't mean you're a genius at it. You'd think it does, but it really doesn't.

He cut some good brain.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

He invented some new techniques and successfully completed some surgeries previously thought impossible.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A real neurosurgeon practices on his own brain first.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He invented some new techniques and successfully completed some surgeries previously thought impossible.
In terms of that profession though that also means that he was much more willing to take on a much riskier process that more reasonable people might not do... So he could then promote himself.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

coyo7e posted:

The silver came from a jew, it's super common among christians to use it as a blanket slander for traitors who take money from "globalists."

https://fivebooks.com/interview/abraham-h-foxman-on-anti-semitism/

judas was jewish, as was every other apostle, and jesus himself

people use thirty pieces of silver as the reward of betrayal all the loving time in virtually any cultural context where knowledge of the general strokes of the new testament is presumed

there's not a lot of things you can reference around the crucifixion of jesus that hasn't been used as bullshit to justify anti-semitism at some point but i am much more familiar with the "give us babbaras" being used as the justification in the middle ages as the "why jews are now bad"

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

He is. As I recall, he was the first person to successfully seperate twins conjoined at the head (with brain tissue conjoined, not just bone+skin).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

coyo7e posted:

In terms of that profession though that also means that he was much more willing to take on a much riskier process that more reasonable people might not do... So he could then promote himself.

Survivor bias does in fact influence who we call geniuses, correct.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mister Adequate posted:

I've seen plenty of people acting as though climate change will not only wipe out human life, nor even all life, but indeed render Earth so barren a wasteland that it leaves today's Mars look like a blossoming Eden.

Climate change is real bad and needs severe measures to arrest however much of it we can, but there's definitely an element of hyperbole.

It has always felt clear to me that after generations of cold war the US built up one and only one vision of the post apocalyptic future. So when the USSR fell and environmental problems became the new biggest threats people never really updated their tropes and people keep talking about things like it's nuclear war.

Like not that climate change isn't bad or real, but that instead of a lot of people talking about things climate change might do, they stick to mashing it as a square peg into a round hole of trying to use it to tell the same stories.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

48 Hour Boner posted:

These tweets were deleted, so we can reasonably assume the fatality count was inaccurate, right?

edit:downs:
She said it's because it was linked on Reddit and she started getting hundreds of threatening and harassing messages.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Carson made his name by performing hemispherectomies (Literally removing halves of people's brains), which, while apparently effective in very specific contexts, is pretty hilarious in retrospect.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think he has a PhD, just an MD. This isn't to say PhDs are geniuses, the only real requirement is bloody-minded tolerance for tedium.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It has always felt clear to me that after generations of cold war the US built up one and only one vision of the post apocalyptic future. So when the USSR fell and environmental problems became the new biggest threats people never really updated their tropes and people keep talking about things like it's nuclear war.

Like not that climate change isn't bad or real, but that instead of a lot of people talking about things climate change might do, they stick to mashing it as a square peg into a round hole of trying to use it to tell the same stories.

True, but I'd argue the long term effects of our current state of climate change policy is worse for humanity as a whole than the long term effects of Cold War era nuclear war.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

it it the reverse-halo effect to doubt ben carson's skills as a neurosurgeon because of his lovely politics?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nocturtle posted:

I don't think he has a PhD, just an MD. This isn't to say PhDs are geniuses, the only real requirement is bloody-minded tolerance for tedium.

I'm writing my dissertation right now and you are 100% correct

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

awesmoe posted:

how would you rate your ability to correctly identify psychological phenomena?

:golfclap:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GWBBQ posted:

She said it's because it was linked on Reddit and she started getting hundreds of threatening and harassing messages.

it's also wildly inaccurate, we'd hear by now if more than half of the population of an island had been wiped out. barbuda is only twenty odd miles from antigua, which had no reported deaths (so far) and while damage on barbuda was likely severe it's not like the place is completely radio silent. if there are hundreds dead there then the local government is engaging in a big coverup

here's what the new york times has to say:

quote:

Barbuda is devastated, but Antigua is spared.
Early on Wednesday, Prime Minister Gaston Browne of Antigua and Barbuda said his nation had been spared the worst of the hurricane, declaring in a statement, “The essential point is that our main infrastructure has stood up and our country can resume normal life within hours.” He went so far as to add, “I dare to say that no other country in the Caribbean would have been as well prepared as we were.”

This turned out to be inaccurate: While the damage in Antigua was not as severe as expected, Mr. Browne announced in the afternoon that 90 percent of all structures on its sister island, Barbuda, had been destroyed. And even in Antigua, at least one person was killed — something Mr. Browne had denied in the morning, saying, “In Antigua, no life has been lost — all the people survived.”

When the prime minister made his first statement, communication with Barbuda was impossible. It was not until later in the day that the extent of the devastation there became clear.

so, lots of destruction, but barbuda is a relatively rural place - there's only one town, and it's pretty small, so the 90% destroyed figure doesn't directly map to mass death

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 6, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WrenP-Complete posted:

FWIW, I've never seen halo effect applied to self perception, only to other-perception.

This one is more self-focused.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

i don't think that's right because in the situation he asks about, the person is above average, superior, what have you - in a specific field. the problem isn't their incorrect assessment of themselves but their incorrect generalization of one element being superior to everything being superior. the halo effect is usually about the observer and the observed, but there's no real reason why the observer and the observed can't be the same and the effect going on is precisely the halo effect. why would there be a difference between a trump voter going "well trump is such a good businessman that of course he will be a great president" and trump himself going "well i am such a good businessman that of course i will be a great president"?

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

How in the gently caress is there even enough room for all these storms

Do they all have a dance card, so each lovely debutante gets a chance? Good God Almighty.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Daily reminder hope is always and forever a lie

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/905492731845332992

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Elotana posted:

This is some random bill proposed by Graham that has almost no support in the GOP. Not gonna happen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

True, but I'd argue the long term effects of our current state of climate change policy is worse for humanity as a whole than the long term effects of Cold War era nuclear war.

Like, because the cold war had zero nuclear wars? or are you saying you think climate change would be worse than like, judgement day? Because that is a pretty silly claim.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

This is some random bill proposed by Graham that has almost no support in the GOP. Not gonna happen.

They don't even have legislative language, and it would need final passage by 9/30. That's WITH debt ceiling, the CR, Harvey relief, probably Irma relief, all still to do. I really don't think they can do it. Maybe they give up tax reform or try to make a monster combined bill for the next fiscal year but I don't think they can get it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Hellblazer187 posted:

They don't even have legislative language, and it would need final passage by 9/30. That's WITH debt ceiling, the CR, Harvey relief, probably Irma relief, all still to do. I really don't think they can do it. Maybe they give up tax reform or try to make a monster combined bill for the next fiscal year but I don't think they can get it.

You are working under some odd assumption that they would prioritize hurricane relief over loving over poor people...

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Why don't we just call it the Ben Carson Effect? He was a genius at Neurosurgery but doesn't know poo poo about urban development.

A whole lot of geniuses are really quite dumb about stuff outside their field. See: most computer whizzes and really sciencey people in general.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

evilweasel posted:

i don't think that's right because in the situation he asks about, the person is above average, superior, what have you - in a specific field. the problem isn't their incorrect assessment of themselves but their incorrect generalization of one element being superior to everything being superior. the halo effect is usually about the observer and the observed, but there's no real reason why the observer and the observed can't be the same and the effect going on is precisely the halo effect. why would there be a difference between a trump voter going "well trump is such a good businessman that of course he will be a great president" and trump himself going "well i am such a good businessman that of course i will be a great president"?

I think that's just called "being full of poo poo" but I am not a bricklayer so your mileage may be larger than it actually appears.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Elotana posted:

I have a feeling this is going to be reposted a thousand times.

Spoiler: This is not the bill that almost passed, this is some lovely bill with no support that has no chance of passing.

Summary: relax.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Moatman posted:

A whole lot of geniuses are really quite dumb about stuff outside their field. See: most computer whizzes and really sciencey people in general.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

I usually see it called "engineer's disease"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Yeah you are right that the second one doesn't totally fit either. The best answer might just be narcissism or egotism or something.

There might be no reason why the definition of halo effect couldn't be expanded that way, but I have never seen it applied that way in psychology, so I think using it that way might require more explanation from the writer. I just did a quick lit review and I can find a couple dissertations expanding the definition and exploring it that way.

Edit: At work, I might call it "over-estimating self efficacy based on success in a non-germane context" or something.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 6, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

He actually mentioned Carlin's bit it the previous paragraph, but he's still an idiot.

Captain Monkey posted:

Nah, this is an incredibly uncommon connection to draw. Its shorthand for payment for treachery. Feel free to post more than one piece of evidence if you want to prove your point though!

Yeah, the treachery of.... Jewdas.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like, because the cold war had zero nuclear wars? or are you saying you think climate change would be worse than like, judgement day? Because that is a pretty silly claim.

USSR-USA nuclear war wasn't as likely to end humanity as climate change is already and the impacts of that nuclear war would be shorter and less globally impactful.

Climate change is really bad my friends.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zoro posted:

I have a feeling this is going to be reposted a thousand times.

Spoiler: This is not the bill that almost passed, this is some lovely bill with no support that has no chance of passing.

Summary: relax.

Save this tweet for future use.

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/905550209513652224

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It's been said by others, but yes - so much so that he might be the greatest neurosurgeon alive. He was absurdly brilliant in that field.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
Who here is old enough to remember #Fuck2016?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mister Adequate posted:

It's been said by others, but yes - so much so that he might be the greatest neurosurgeon alive. He was absurdly brilliant in that field.

And then squandered it turning children into vegetables and corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mister Adequate posted:

Can second this. I know several people that work as surgeons at Johns Hopkins -- his name carries an absurd amount of weight there.

• Locked thread