Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Previously on Tanicus - Az.

Of course it's the Evocation Grandmaster who attempts to light Az up with a Sunbeam spell cast at 9th level. Az's response was to simply wave a hand and counterspell it.

quote:

Az - "I WIELD THE STOLEN POWERS OF THE GODS THEMSELVES. NOTHING ANY MORTAL MAN OR WOMAN CAN DO SHALL HARM ME.

I COME BEFORE THE CABAL AND ITS ALLIES TODAY TO OFFER A SIMPLE CHOICE. THE GODS THEMSELVES WILL LAY DEAD AT MY FEET. ALL THINGS DIVINE WILL FALL UNDER MY DOMAIN. ALL THINGS ARCANE SHALL BE LEFT TO THOSE WHO BOW DOWN AND OFFER THEIR SERVICE TO ME. SWEAR FEALTY AND LIVE. DEFY ME AND DIE.

Varis - "Ahem."

It's at this point that Varis stands up, looks Az's right in the eye, and answers.

quote:

"My name is Varis Stormglass, and I officially decline your offer. Magic has no master, and neither will I."

Cue nearly the rest of the gathered magic users standing up in solidarity and agreement...save for the one criminal Sorcerer from the party's past, who loudly proclaims "[BLEEP] this" and teleports away, the creepy little girl whose body falls to the ground as Az's holy aura cancels out the unholy powers of the Lich King, and the Evocation Grandmaster who simply turns around and Disintegrates the Master of Air.

What followed were two rounds of what you'd expect from a gathering of the most powerful magic users on Tanicus as all the Grandmasters, Elemental Masters, and Sorcerer take this opportunity to simply cut loose...and Az soaks it all. Meanwhile the angels begin firing arrows at the Grandmasters, cutting them down with massive amounts of damage. When Falinrae tries to use Revivify on one of them, the horrifying truth behind Az's sudden appearance is revealed - the angels are using Arrows of Slaying, which prevent anyone killed by them from being brought back to life by any means short of a True Resurrection. This means no Reincarnation, no Resurrection, not even Revivify or Spare the Dying.

And True Resurrections aren't possible anymore on Tanicus as Annyn, the Goddess of Death, is no longer on her throne.

As two Grandmasters (Conjuration and Evocation) suddenly lay dead, the chronicler of the Grand Convocation, Fawn, suddenly glows with a bright light, and where a mousy librarian type one sat now stood a nine-foot tall Goddess crackling with arcane energy - Faylinn, the Stern Teacher, Goddess of Magic.

"Get everyone to safety," she snarled as she raised her hands. "I'll handle this trespasser."

Now here's one of the reasons that shows why I'm blessed with an awesome GM. What he had planned to happen was for this combat to be a mad scramble as the party tried to evacuate as many spellcasters as they could, turning the Cabal from a unified powerhouse into a group of ragtag resistance fighters bereft of their power base. Aeana, our party's healer, went first next round, and we were all expecting her to heal as many people as she could to keep them from dying to the angels.

Instead...

quote:

"I use my Godspark to banish Az!"

Indeed, Aeana had a Godspark inside of her, one that had belonged to Dynae, the goddess of healing. Plus, Aeana was a Divine Soul as well as "descended" from Dynae, a child who had been born of pure divine magic and raised by mortal parents with the destiny of someday becoming a demigod. The GM paused for a moment, did some mental math, and said "OK, since you don't have the actual spell, make a straight Wisdom roll to banish him. Your Godspark versus his."

Aeana's player rolled a natural 20.

The table goes nuts. The GM paused for another moment, nodded, and said "Alright. You point towards Az and the confidence falls from his face as he begins to be yanked back from this mortal plane. He's next on the initiative count, so I'm going to give him one action..."
Dice are rolled behind the GM screen.

"...and Az reaches out to grab Faylinn, and as he's pulled back into the Ethereal Plane he takes her with him."

Aeana and Varis stare in horror as everyone else realizes that with Az gone there's no one to counterspell/dispel their magic.

One more Grandmaster (Transmutation) goes down before everyone manages to take down the angels. Kek, the Grandmaster of the Illusion school, almost was lost to us save for the fact that he's powerful enough to fool even the angels into thinking he's dead, and the Grandmaster of the Divination school, Jurani Stillwind, had been prepared to take an arrow for his surrogate daughter so she could fulfill her own destiny, just as he had foreseen...

...until Ksena reached out and, on another natural 20, snagged the arrow right before it hit him and threw it right back at the angel for a taste of its own medicine.

Once the dust has settled, the Grandmaster of the Convocation calls for an immediate voice vote.

"The measure passes. The Cabal will spend its efforts to contain the further spread of Wild Magic in the Wilderlands, while the rest of its ability will be brought fully to bear against the forces of the Archangel known as Az. A delegation will be sent to the god Myrrdin in Highspire as soon as possible in order to coordinate both our counterattacks as well as any needed relief efforts..."

At this point, a golden orb comes streaking through a hole in the ceiling and slams into Inessa, the lead sorcerer from the Council of Seven and the one who invited Varis to join up. It's one of the Godsparks from Faylinn, which means that the Goddess of Magic has been slain by Az...and that the new demigoddess of magic is a Sorcerer.

Needless to say, she wasn't happy.

"Varis! You know about Godsparks, you get this thing out of me RIGHT now!"

What else could Varis do? He kneeled before the new demigoddess of Magic, which saw all the other arcane spellcasters following his lead.

"Stormglass, you bastard."

As the Cabal began to clean up and organize for war, Stannis Grumgate bid goodbye to Ksena and Varis. "By using my magic to defend the Cabal...words I never believed I would utter...I have made my presence known to Catira, and my former master will send her soldiers to kill me. She currently sits on the throne of Ancellyon, finally taking direct control of those who follow and despise her as they fight against the Archfey who now dominate their forests. I must leave before they can track me down." Ksena suggests that he return to Highspire and offer his services to Myrddin. "Perhaps. Farewell...my daughter. My son."

It's at this point that Varis decides to check in on Xiamara Abeforth (at Falinrae's strong suggestion) to mend any needed fences and show that he's truly not the haughty jerkass she had met in the past. As the head of the Enchanters' School, she accepted his gift of a Tome of Iron Golem creation (50,000 gold pieces and a month to create are two things Varis can't spare at the moment) and also accepted his apology. "I have misjudged you. I am glad that the Cabal and the Council of Seven have united, even temporarily, against the threat of Az, and that unity can partially be chalked up to your speech and your actions. You are worthy of the gifts your blood bestows upon you. The next time you see my father, tell him that I will do what is necessary to procure the future."

Varis was actually on his way to see Abeforth, who was waiting in the long line for the Cabal's teleportation circle to take him back to Highspire. One Helm of Teleportation later, the pair had skipped the line and were back in Abeforth's Apothecary.

quote:

Varis - "Sir, I just wanted to let you know that I've mended fences with your daughter. And she wanted me to let you know that she will do whatever is necessary to procure the future."

Abeforth - "Wonderful! That's such great news! Listen, while I have you here there's something I've been meaning to talk to you about. I'm getting older, and this shop has been in my family for generations. My daughter is busy with her responsibilities as a Grandmaster, and while I trust my sons to run their franchises, I'm looking for someone to oversee the entire business. So I wanted to offer you ownership of Abeforth's Apothecary once I retire."

Varis - "What? Me? I don't know how to run a business!"

Abeforth - "Well, I'm not looking for you to run a shop. I have an apprentice, a second nephew, who will take over this shop once I retire. I'm talking about someone to be the face of the business. Hell, the whole 'Lightning Lord' thing has been an absolute boom for the Abeforths! I just need someone to oversee everything and keep steady hands on my sons."

Varis - "Um...wow. I would be honored...as long as I could open a store in Dale."

Abeforth - "Wonderful! Now that we're in agreement, let's talk dowry."

Varis - "Let's talk...I'm sorry? Talk the what?"

Abeforth - "The dowry! For marrying Xiamara!"

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
So jealous. My online Ravenloft group just shut down because life.

I was having fun. My Kender rogue was really getting his Short Lives Matter schtick down.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CobiWann posted:

"The dowry! For marrying Xiamara!"

Any game that works in a shotgun marriage is a game worthy of playing.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

Any game that works in a shotgunwand marriage is a game worthy of playing.

FTFY.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I hope a shotwand is just, like, five or six wands taped together.

Sure, it's a little hard to aim beyond pointing it in a general direction and prayer, but just watch the fireworks!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Shotgun of Wonder.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Prism posted:

I hope a shotwand is just, like, five or six wands taped together.

Reminds me of this:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zark the Damned posted:

Reminds me of this:

I miss Nodwick.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Wizards: No sense of right or wrong.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Where did all the good comedic fantasy comics go? I still miss 8BT, too.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

There were so many garbage fantasy comics in that era but Nodwick was like, legitimately fuckin' good. Good art, good stories, good humor.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

PMush Perfect posted:

8BT actually finished!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PMush Perfect posted:

Most of them crawled up their own rear end and/or died. It's weird how many of them got a following by being funny and then thought "you know what this gag-a-day comic needs? A deep 'mature' plot full of serious drama!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

Most of them crawled up their own rear end and/or died. It's weird how many of them got a following by being funny and then thought "you know what this gag-a-day comic needs? A deep 'mature' plot full of serious drama!"

some webcomics manage to move past it, and heal

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

PMush Perfect posted:

The Order of the Stick is still ongoing!

http://www.giantitp.com/Comics.html

It did get less episodic and an actual plot started up after not long, but it never stopped being comedic.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oglaf (deeply NSFW) specifically went away from being plot-based to just gag-a-week.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

some webcomics manage to move past it, and heal
while others could never recoup their Loss

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

judges hold up a grudging set of sevens

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still read OOTS (even if I think it'd be better as a web novel at this point) and Poppy Opossum (which IS a web novel as of a week or two ago). 8BT finished super strong. The stock of good ones is just running low. (It's been almost a loving decade since Erfworld was good. :( )

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
8-bit theatre is definitely way worse than 13 year old me thought but the scene where red mage confronts his hubris is incredible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's never going to be the same on a reread, but reading it serially, Thief forcibly retconning the color of his own outfit was something I'll never forget.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

The Crotch posted:

Oglaf (deeply NSFW) specifically went away from being plot-based to just gag-a-week.

I'm still waiting for the apprentice to make his reappearance. :colbert:

Honestly, ongoing stories aren't the enemy. You just need to make sure they're still actually funny on a per page basis. Oglaf was really great in this regard.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Didn't he die from fireball wand up the bum?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Erfworld is just fine, guns are coming off the mantel like crazy these days.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ze Pollack posted:

judges hold up a grudging set of an upside down 7, a 0 and two 5's

PMush Perfect posted:

That was the original apprentice from before the plot started seen in a flashback.

This apprentice was killed by a magic phantom arrow that he accidentally set off a chain of deaths with.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

No, he died from magic arrow. But the artist promised on Twitter that he would return, and apparently a new story featuring Ivan was in the works.

...that was six years ago.

Fake Edit: And I just looked at the wiki now, and apparently she said that a long fukken EPIC story is still in the works. Two years ago. The tease.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Yawgmoth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMO3_84vnLQ

I love how it takes Nick a second to get it. :)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/906329853149900800

susan
Jan 14, 2013
So poo poo got weird tonight at the Star Wars Age of Rebellion table. What was supposed to be a fairly straight-forward fight against Clone War-era Battle Droids in the jungle turned into a rather extensive exploration into Droid Rights, sentience of machines, and the morality of memory wiping, and ended with a distraught Magnaguard leading a group of rusty clankers into the jungle to fend for themselves after promising to leave organics alone. Such is life with the Fantasy Flight system, I suppose...

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
Cross post from the UA thread.

Manofmanusernames posted:

So my group finished up their second session of UA.

The Characters are:
Astor, Avatar of the Sexual Rebis and philosopher
Max, animal based adept and art therapist
Smythe, Epidermancer and traveling salesman
Gwuardio, exercise based adapt and body builder
Bill Catthair, Fulminturge and prepper
Ronaldo, Conspiracy theorist, fast food worker and designated pony of the group.

Astor, Smythe and Max all follow the same tumblr blog and Bill and Ronaldo post on the same conspiracy forum. Qwuardio is Ronaldo's personal trainer.

The goal is to track down this mysterious slendermanesque figure that's been haunting them all.

The first session was char gen. The second the players tried to information about notslenderman out of Gwuardio's mentor Brgenworth. Brgenworth told them if they wanted the information they'd have to prove they weren't just a bunch of ponies. He sent them on an errand to prove their worth, he wanted them to retrieve a bloody Hello Kitty back back from this creepy old man who lives in a house on the edge of town. He gives them explicit instructions not to open the backpack.

Some highlights:
Gwuardio and Bill sneak in through the pack. They enter into a storage room full of clocks. After searching through it, they open the door to the next room. They find it full of clockwork automatons dancing. They all stop dancing and look at them. There like "gently caress this poo poo" and immediately go back into the storage room and start baracading the door with the junk that's in there. Bill steals a cuckoo clock.
Smythe's player showed up late irl. So I gave him a Pursuit check which he failed. They had managed to herd the clockworks outside the house by this point, so I made his car crash straight into a pack of them, one of them getting all mashed up in his engine wrecking his car.
Gwuardio tried to punch one of the clock works but he rolled a fumble so his hand got mashed up in the gears.
Astor is able to convince the old mechanomancer to let her and Max in by striking up a conversation about obscure occult books.
Ronaldo gets in his card and tries to ram one of the clockworks. He fails the roll and the clockwork comes crashing through the window and starts to grab at him. He fails a violence check and send his car in reverse while screaming.
Max is able to distract the old man from all the commotion outside by using his animal magick to mimic bird calls.
Astor and Max look around the upstairs and find the backpack; it was being used to power a giant clockwork spider thing.
After avoiding being murdered by the spider thing, Max deactivates it by yanking the backpack out.

I called it after they got the backpack. I want to give them ample opportunity to ignor instructions and open the backpack :unsmigghh:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I've recently been looking for a previous story and came up empty-handed. The poster was a newbie to a long-running game, and it came to pass that the DM and other players effectively fattened up and then took over the poster's PC- maybe mind control, maybe as an undead thrall, I can't recall. As it turned out, the other players had built up a small army of newcomers' PCs that they had preyed upon in the same way.

Help would be appreciated.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Why do people in the UA story keep referring to people as ponies? Is this some brony poo poo?

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

Zomborgon posted:

I've recently been looking for a previous story and came up empty-handed. The poster was a newbie to a long-running game, and it came to pass that the DM and other players effectively fattened up and then took over the poster's PC- maybe mind control, maybe as an undead thrall, I can't recall. As it turned out, the other players had built up a small army of newcomers' PCs that they had preyed upon in the same way.

Help would be appreciated.

Searched the thread and found this post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460258&pagenumber=259&perpage=40#post472756118

Agrikk posted:

This reminds me of an AD&D game I played in a loooong time ago. Back in elementary or middle school, I was looking for more RPG action since my primary gaming group met every other week and I wanted a weekly fix, so I stopped by my local gaming shop to see if anyone was hiring.

I ended up with a DM and a player who were friends and were looking for more players. They were willing to have me along if I accepted that the player was playing a Death Master, which was an NPC only class that appeared in a Dragon Magazine and that I'd have to start at fist level in a continuing campaign.

I didn't have any problems with that so I rolled up a bog-standard human fighter and away we went.

It immediately got weird when it was revealed that the Death Master controlled a squad of zombies and skeletons that were all weirdly specific in detail, and the campaign consisted of leveling me up through disposable encounters as fast as possible.

While it was fun for me to zoom up levels, there were all the sidelong giggles inside jokes that bugged me, like the DM and PC were keeping something from me. Finally I hit level 6 or so without any plot or story arc developing and the player says something like, "Just one more!" at the end of a session.

I ended up asking the store manager about the two of them and he told me, "I was wondering about you. So DM and Player have been inviting people to their game, leveling up new PCs and then killing them so his character can revive them as zombies."

Hence the reason why his undead army was so oddly fleshed out. I never went back. DM would call my house from time to time begging me to come and play, offering me magic items if I'd rejoin the campaign.

Fattening up new PCs before slaughtering them? Yeah, no thanks.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

Why do people in the UA story keep referring to people as ponies? Is this some brony poo poo?

In Unknown Armies, a Pony is a noob to the occult underground. It's an insulting term, and if you're referring to someone as a Pony you're probably looking to use their naivete to screw them over in some fashion.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Falstaff posted:

In Unknown Armies, a Pony is a noob to the occult underground. It's an insulting term, and if you're referring to someone as a Pony you're probably looking to use their naivete to screw them over in some fashion.

I don't remember that from 2nd edition. Is that something new to the new edition or is that just some extremely 90s White Wolf lexicon type poo poo that everyone justly ignored?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Thank you very much, I tried the "fatten" and "slaughter" keywords I recalled from the post, but the forum search doesn't account for the tenses.

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.

PantsOptional posted:

I don't remember that from 2nd edition. Is that something new to the new edition or is that just some extremely 90s White Wolf lexicon type poo poo that everyone justly ignored?

It's new to the 3rd edition.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
I'm pretty sure I didn't post this here before... A couple years ago I was a player in a Megagame, "Watch the Skies", up in the pacific northwest. I made a big writeup of my experiences for the other players on facebook, and it just occured that it might be up this thread's alley. Here's the link, I was a bit too wordy to copy it all here:

Confessions of Earth's Last Vice President

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Eponymous posted:

I'm pretty sure I didn't post this here before... A couple years ago I was a player in a Megagame, "Watch the Skies", up in the pacific northwest. I made a big writeup of my experiences for the other players on facebook, and it just occured that it might be up this thread's alley. Here's the link, I was a bit too wordy to copy it all here:

Confessions of Earth's Last Vice President

Any more information on mechanics please? I don't know "Megagame".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Samizdata posted:

Any more information on mechanics please? I don't know "Megagame".

Here's a video of one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN71v9H_gg8