Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

track day bro! posted:

You know who else beat Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button. And hes also a fraud, as is Lewis.

He also beat Vettel.

gently caress, even Kimi has beaten Vettel.

E: Last year Danny Ric beat Vettel :laffo:

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vettel is one of the least talented world champions, the fact that he has FOUR titles is absolute insanity.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He may be the least talented in the modern era. I'm hard pressed to think of a weaker champion. Damon Hill or Jaques Villeneuve are other prime candidates. I've only seen a very unmotivated Schekter in that terrible '80 Ferrari, so I remain silent there.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 6, 2017

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0715/4453/products/DSC03871_large.jpg?v=1469457516
and hamilton only has 3

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

He may be the least talented.

He’s better than Villeneuve for sure.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

His helmet sucks rear end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and because I love you all (ok not really)

I will keep this avatar until Vettel does not win a race or the end vs of the season, which ever comes first.

So it'll likely be gone in less than 2 weeks

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Keep it forever!!!!!!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Oh, and because I love you all (ok not really)

I will keep this avatar until Vettel does not win a race or the end vs of the season, which ever comes first.

So it'll likely be gone in less than 2 weeks

you will keep that godamn av until i can change back mine

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DoctorGonzo posted:

yea, that's a real cop out move

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

You’re going to wear that drat av until I die.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm glad I kicked off the second great avatar buying war of the F1 thread in 2017.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
be nice wicka

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I didn't even buy the Grosjean av, I just love it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wicka posted:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
the "Single Cylinder Posting" might be the best part about wicka's av

wicka posted:

Looks like a really weird woman

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm glad I kicked off the second great avatar buying war of the F1 thread in 2017.

I will tell my children about it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I finally broke down and used an outside avatar consultant.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

I finally broke down and used an outside avatar consultant.

Mavio Illien?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

GramCracker posted:

Solid potential av material:

Wow, even his Instagram sucks. He's bad at everything.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

poty posted:

Wow, even his Instagram sucks. He's bad at everything.

I know right, Formula One World Drivers Champion 2016 is just bad at everything.

You know Lewis 'the hair' Hamilton is on the cusp of being the greatest driver ever. And Are Rossie beat the best fair and square in the same outfit. Obviously that means Are Rossie transcends Hamilton into an almost divine league of drivers that non have entered before.

E: I eagerly await your petulant tears.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Human Grand Prix posted:

He may be the least talented in the modern era. I'm hard pressed to think of a weaker champion. Damon Hill or Jaques Villeneuve are other prime candidates. I've only seen a very unmotivated Schekter in that terrible '80 Ferrari, so I remain silent there.

I'm going to seriouspost about Vettel, I feel like his problem is that when he feels like he doesn't have everything going his way he doesn't put the effort in like say Alonso (pre mclaren spirit crushing) or even Lewis would. See last season and his last season at RB.

But aside from that he's the best driver since our Schuey rip in peace press f to pay respects

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hamilton and Vettel are very similar in that regard, they melt down in the face of any problems because they don't understand how their seemingly overwhelming talent doesn't allow them to scrape by without trying. Hamilton is considerably more confident than Vettel, which is why he's at least begrudgingly capable of handling a competent teammate. Vettel is a weak little pissbaby who won't win another title unless Ferrari have built a truly dominant car, because abslutely everything has to go his way. I don't even know if he will last at Ferrari, they signed him thinking he'd be a truly transformative talent, like Schumacher, but he's obviously not.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, I think if Ferrari picked Dan over Seb of the two RBR drivers at the time, they may be doing a lot better this season. Dan seems to be absolutely thriving in the hybrid era, and it feels like he constantly outperforms what his car should be doing. Yeah I know RBR is really good with aero and the chassis as a whole, but that Renault engine is a giant anchor.

However, when it comes to the actual resume, Seb's is infinitely better than Dan's, and Ferrari wants to maintain its reputation of having at least the best drivers.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Hamilton and Vettel are very similar in that regard, they melt down in the face of any problems because they don't understand how their seemingly overwhelming talent doesn't allow them to scrape by without trying. Hamilton is considerably more confident than Vettel, which is why he's at least begrudgingly capable of handling a competent teammate. Vettel is a weak little pissbaby who won't win another title unless Ferrari have built a truly dominant car, because abslutely everything has to go his way. I don't even know if he will last at Ferrari, they signed him thinking he'd be a truly transformative talent, like Schumacher, but he's obviously not.

Hamilton is clearly the better driver man. By a large margin as well. I don't think they are comparable talent wise.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

I'd kickstart a project to fund someone to ask Seb "and how many points would you be ahead right now if you didn't throw a big tantrum like a literal baby in Baku?" every interview.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Hamilton is clearly the better driver man. By a large margin as well. I don't think they are comparable talent wise.

Oh I absolutely agree

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'd struggle to say by a large margin because up until recently Vettel was leading the championship in the lesser car. I kinda think you guys envision this theoretical Hamilton that isn't massively inconsistent when you talk about him.

I think Vettel is the prototypical Rosberg in alot of aspect except he had Mark Webber in the other car and Rosberg generally coped with pressure better.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Hamilton has seemed a lot happier since Rosberg can not now mathematically beat him in 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'd argue that they're ultra talented in totally different ways.
Vettel took to the (usually ultra-borderline) advantages Red Bull gave him with aplomb even as his much more experienced team mate floundered when given those kinds of challenges. The best example is the blown diffuser thing which required a totally different driving style Vettel mastered in like a week vs Mark who needed like half the season.
Lewis is much more confident and while he doesn't drag dogshit up from the bottom, he does a great job of making good cars seem great.

IMHO:
If you give Vettel a car capable of winning the weekend, he'll master it and 9 times out of 10 he'll get you the race win.
If you give Lewis a car capable of a podium, 8 times out of 10 he'll make it work well enough to get you a race win.
Vettel is a better driver who can learn what he needs to learn from his car and make it stick. Lewis is a better racer who generally has really good pace from his car even if he doesn't really know what makes it tick.
If you give Rosberg a car that is going to win every race, and he's focused enough, he'll challenge a significantly better driver to a point where all he needs is a tiny bit of luck to beat him.
Right now Mercedes have the car capable of winning most of the race weekends and Ferrari have the car capable of a podium spot.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
When Vettel was mathematically out of the running in 2015 it killed him mentally, it was like he had the fairytale beginning at Ferrari in mind and it didn't quite pan out. It was the exact same moment Rosberg went on his dominant little run, and that momentum carried him to the 2016 title, while Vettel spent the whole year recovering from the setback he'd largely invented. He made a fair few mistakes in that period. He's been better this year, as evidenced by the fact he led half the season, but as per he's faded with Ferrari.

It's insane to say he's poo poo, even considering the Worst Thread meme of having massively polarising opinions about everyone, but I don't think he's got what it takes to turn things around in a slightly inferior car. If he's not at least challenging for a race win in Singapore it's fair to say his season's over. If he wins and Hamilton has a problem, then boy howdy are we gonna have some fun.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

I'd struggle to say by a large margin because up until recently Vettel was leading the championship in the lesser car. I kinda think you guys envision this theoretical Hamilton that isn't massively inconsistent when you talk about him.

I think Vettel is the prototypical Rosberg in alot of aspect except he had Mark Webber in the other car and Rosberg generally coped with pressure better.

You ever think that Mercedes held back the potential of their car to mess with Ferrari a bit and then just turn the fucker right back up a few races into the season?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
i think that ferrari is doing the same thing, except for all season, because they hate their drivers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vettel, to me, is the 2nd best driver on the grid right now behind Hamilton. Third is either Alonso or Riccardio (fourth being the other, natch). I'd say Max is 5th, then Bottas not far behind, with Kimi a (somewhat) distant 7th, then the FI drivers, and the rest is just filler at that point down to Stroll and Palmer.

Max easily could move to the top three if he refined his talents a bit, but until that happens, he's a massive raw talent with a boatload of potential, but it needs polish to really, truly shine.

e: forgot Bottas.

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 7, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If Vettel has a real teammate at Red Bull, or if a single other team consistently competed with their designs, or even if the FIA actually enforced the drat moveable aero device rules, he'd have at most one world title and no one would ever compare him to the likes of Alonso or Hamilton. But he has four, unfortunately, and that makes people subconsciously try to justify it by horribly overrating him.

1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Ricciardo
4. Verstappen
5. Vettel

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Imagine if Red Bull picked up Dixon instead of Bourdais.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Imagine if Red Bull picked up Dixon instead of Bourdais.

Stop trolling me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

(I firmly believe Dixon is more talented than the majority of the F1 grid.)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yeah but you believe a lot of dumb bullshit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cactrot posted:

Yeah but you believe a lot of dumb bullshit too.

Harsh but very, very fair.

• Locked thread