Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Waititi scoffed at being brought up as a possible candidate on Twitter, saying he'd be fired the first week.

Yeah, there have been interviews talking about Thor and how he is spending time encouraging the actors to go off script and do their own thing, which is exactly why Lord and Miller got fired.

Cash Monet posted:

What about Dennis Venelllasavieiudaen he's getting everything these days.

He's working on a Dune adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rogue One was always a "safe" choice in that it inherently tells a story that viewers of the source material already knew everything there is to know about.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Taintrunner posted:

Rogue One is literally like maybe two steps removed the final paragraph you're describing. It's completely uninspired and generic, boiled down to the most vapid baseline ideals of an action movie while being utterly and completely inappropriate for the subject matter - of what on paper is quite obviously supposed to be a heist movie.

I second the Kathleen should direct it, if only to see an even more soulless and formulaic follow-up to "well guys we made the AT-AT bigger and dumber also we put giant guns on everything gently caress it I dunno." TLJ might be good, but it'll be too micromanaged to really have a fair shot, even with RJ directing.

I liked that the throughline of Rogue One was a bunch of EU mid level managers getting horrifically murdered and murked by OT CG abominations, Darth Vader Redux, etc. Also the action was on point. Jyn's character was kind of mucked up by Disney being afraid of endorsing terrorism or whatever I'll grant you.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Problem with Rogue One is that every time it got to something interesting thematically, it shied away from fully exploring it. Maybe it's just me, but I found the bureaucracy of the Empire and the Rebellion using insurgancy tactics in civilian locations to be far more interesting than the rampant fan service. But sadly, you can't make a good Lego set out of gray morality.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Raxivace posted:

Right now? An adaptation of Ready Player One.

My favorite part about this is he is removing all references to his own work from the movie. That's a lot of random stuff from the book.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finally saw the trailer before seeing Close Encounters a few days ago and it still looked as bad as I thought it would. You put Freddie Kreuger on screen and the most you do with him is shoot him with a gun?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fart City posted:

Problem with Rogue One is that every time it got to something interesting thematically, it shied away from fully exploring it. Maybe it's just me, but I found the bureaucracy of the Empire and the Rebellion using insurgancy tactics in civilian locations to be far more interesting than the rampant fan service. But sadly, you can't make a good Lego set out of gray morality.

First time I've seen someone wanting more politics in Star Wars

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Davros1 posted:

You must've missed the discussion around The Force Awakens recently.

What would happen to the galaxy if the Death Star blew up the Rebels' base?

What would happen to the galaxy if Starkiller destroyed the Resistance base?

Which of those two answers has more textual evidence to support it?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Davros1 posted:

Don't be silly. The side stories were billed as being nontraditional Star Wars movies. It's a rich universe, and that was a great platform to get more into the mechanics of how it works. Do I want that in the episodes? No. But Rogue One played footsie with the idea and never fully committed. I would have been fascinated to see more of that insurgent Rebellion stuff. You wouldn't have?

Edit:

To clarify my overall point, I thought Rogue One brought up a lot of interesting ideas in how the sausage was made in the Galactic Civil War, it just deferred most of those threads for a more traditional adventure story.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 7, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I don't think that's "shying away" as much as just not being what the story is about (in a plot sense, since it's still pretty important thematically and character-wise). If it was really just about Disney cynically scrubbing out anything grey about the Rebellion, they could have just cut Saw's part and Cassian's arc entirely. The fact that it's there and a major part of two main characters' backstories is interesting itself despite the fact that it's not the main focus, I think.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I felt Rogue One was pretty lethargic for the first 2/3 because we never got enough time to know the group, there were very few narrative tricks to endear us to the crew.

I think of the classic Magnificent Seven, where you had these incredibly disparate vagabonds and tough guys (and the really young guy in love added for spice) and they're given a bunch of bar scenes where they can rub off of each other and express their thoughts about the situation. Unlike Rogue One, the Magnificent Seven characters don't have to go through a mystery for the a first 2/3 of the story. The characters all know the score pretty early and they get a lot of time to ruminate on their fate before the final showdown. If you're going to do an ensemble, actually have these characters bounce off of each other.

That ending space battle though wowee, and all of the telephoto shots of the Death Star on horizons and stuff were excellent.

Also Mads Mikkelsen being underused suuuucked.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rogue One was the only Suicide Squad movie that featured an actual Suicide Squad.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Frankly I'm surprised Suicide Squad found it within itself to kill off two squaddies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

porfiria posted:

Frankly I'm surprised Suicide Squad found it within itself to kill off two squaddies.

Excuse me, I think you mean skwaddies.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean three if you count Dr. Sun Moon AKA...eh gently caress I don't care anymore that movie sucked.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 7, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dr. June Moone.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Penpal posted:

That ending space battle though wowee, and all of the telephoto shots of the Death Star on horizons and stuff were excellent.

Yeah, even though there were narrative and characterization issues with the script, Edwards absolutely nailed the visual storytelling aspect a Star Warms movie should have. He did a stand-up job of using the camera and framing in interesting and creative ways, something that Lucas helped bake into the Storm Wars DNA with his films.

I do hope that they eventually put all the pre-reshoot deleted scenes on one of the future releases so we could see what Edwards had originally aimed for before Lucasfilm stepped in to make their changes.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Basebf555 posted:

This musical chairs of directors is gonna make for a really incoherent series going forward, I really wish they'd figured out a way to lock in a decent director for at least a complete trilogy. It's the kind of thing that may not show itself right away but when we look back at the 3 or 5 or 8 or 100 Star Wars movies from this era I think the dissonance will be very noticeable.

You know the original trilogy was filmed by 3 different directors right? And the prequel were also going to be directed by different directors until Lucas decided to direct it all himself for consistency reasons.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bongo Bill posted:

Rogue One was always a "safe" choice in that it inherently tells a story that viewers of the source material already knew everything there is to know about.

Part of the reason I believed that Jyn would turn out to become Rey's mother was that I thought they'd use the story we already basically knew about the theft of the Death Star plans as a vehicle to introduce more OT-era characters who are relevant to the characters of the sequel era. It didn't happen, though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Beeez posted:

I think they should cut out the middle man and let Kathleen Kennedy herself direct it.

One of her Star Wars co-producers is debuting as a director but it's Simon Kinberg and the Dark Phoenix X-Men movie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like the idea of a Star Wars poster having "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF ELF" on it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
FROM THE DIRECTOR OF HAPPY FEET AND BABE 2: PIG IN THE CITY...

If only.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, Episode VII would really benefit from a Radio Drama.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Zoran posted:

Part of the reason I believed that Jyn would turn out to become Rey's mother was that I thought they'd use the story we already basically knew about the theft of the Death Star plans as a vehicle to introduce more OT-era characters who are relevant to the characters of the sequel era. It didn't happen, though.
Well, there were a few canon additions to the lore in Rogue One.
They featured some stuff from Star Wars Rebels (showing the Ghost, Chopper, mentioning "General Syndulla," the Hammerhead corvettes).
Also, it retconned in that the weakness of the Death Star was an intentional design flaw (for better or worse impact on the story).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I heard this Grendels Dad is a real up-and-comer, Disney should give him a few millions to try his hand. I mean, it's Star Wars, what could go wrong.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Well, there were a few canon additions to the lore in Rogue One.
They featured some stuff from Star Wars Rebels (showing the Ghost, Chopper, mentioning "General Syndulla," the Hammerhead corvettes).
Also, it retconned in that the weakness of the Death Star was an intentional design flaw (for better or worse impact on the story).
There's also a weird bit of continuity with the sequels - the Resistance flagship in The Last Jedi is named after the Mon Calamari admiral from Rogue One

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Cat Machine posted:

There's also a weird bit of continuity with the sequels - the Resistance flagship in The Last Jedi is named after the Mon Calamari admiral from Rogue One

Actually, both the admiral and the ship were named after some other guy

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm usually up on Star Wars poo poo, but I can't recall, have there been any named lightsabres in the vein of Excalibur, Oathkeeper, Anduril? I guess Samurai weren't really known for that

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Penpal posted:

I'm usually up on Star Wars poo poo, but I can't recall, have there been any named lightsabres in the vein of Excalibur, Oathkeeper, Anduril? I guess Samurai weren't really known for that

Lightsabres aren't that important. They're just tools and one is as good as any other (in the films, idk about EU nonsense).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Penpal posted:

The only one so far is the Darksaber in Clone Wars and Rebels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9i6Du1u8E

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

The only one so far is the Darksaber in Clone Wars and Rebels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9i6Du1u8E

Before that, in the dark days of the EU, the Darksaber was a planet-killer owned by a Hutt; it was dubbed the Darksaber because they stripped out everything but the laser, so it resembled a lightsaber. :suicide:

(God, I read too many Star Wars books in my adolescent years.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

Before that, in the dark days of the EU, the Darksaber was a planet-killer owned by a Hutt; it was dubbed the Darksaber because they stripped out everything but the laser, so it resembled a lightsaber. :suicide:

(God, I read too many Star Wars books in my adolescent years.)

Didn't that book randomly kill off one of the Rebel leaders from Return of the Jedi by having him get captured by the Hutts and killed?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
han solo better punch a giant otter in the face in the new movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rirse posted:

Didn't that book randomly kill off one of the Rebel leaders from Return of the Jedi by having him get captured by the Hutts and killed?

I haven't touched any of those books in at least 20 years, hell if I remember.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Instant Sunrise posted:

(Kathleen Kennedy slowly hangs up phone.)

"We have to fire Lord and Miller."

"But-"

"WE HAVE TO FIRE THEM NOW."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

It makes me really mad that we will probably never get that.

I don't care if the actual story is any good, I just want the cinematic visual to play out on giant budget blockbuster.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It would be cool if we got another Jabba-like figure in the sense of being an important character spoken about in one part of the trilogy but not actually seen until two movies later. (Yes I know he had a deleted scene in ANH and stuff that's not the point shut up)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It would be cool if people weren't so attached to having new Star Wars chained to the leering, slimy, slug-like form of the decades of EU trash.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Rirse posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

homullus posted:

It would be cool if people weren't so attached to having new Star Wars chained to the leering, slimy, slug-like form of the decades of EU trash.

Who wouldn't want to see some three eyed dude pretending to be Palpatine's illegitimate three eyed son marry a robot clone of Princess Leia with laser eyes?

• Locked thread