Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Ya iTerm with zsh plus Oh My Zsh is a winning combination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Van Dis posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried this and it didn't work. What's weird is that there isn't even an option for dashboard control in the trackpad settings:

Second option down "Swipe between full-screen apps": try enabling that

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Last Chance posted:

Second option down "Swipe between full-screen apps": try enabling that

Holy hell that worked! Why, I don't know, since there's nothing about the dashboard there, but I guess OSX considers it an app (and a space? but not an overlay? these terms are unclear and don't seem to refer to anything else in the OS either) when it's enabled. Thanks!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

macos considers it off, as a space, or as an overlay. it's in the Mission Control settings, first page, of your System Preferences. i keep mine as an overlay and bind a key to open dashboard, but if you prefer it as a space and set it as a space, you have to use whatever you set up to move between spaces to get to it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Oh, I hadn't even noticed you'd turned off swiping between spaces (or that it had been named "switch between full-screen apps." Although that makes sense; I'm pretty sure my ctrl+[1–4] shortcuts to switch spaces were just carried over from ages ago. God forbid you use multiple desktops instead of full screen apps like some sort of giant ipad with a keyboard)

An overlay pops up on top of your active desktop/screen, as a space it is given its own space. Out of curiosity, if you let OS X rearrange spaces, does it move the dashboard space, or is that solidly anchored on the left?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

IAmKale posted:

Is there a Bash-compatible terminal alternative that'll get me cool things like autocompletion and better navigation of my git repository? I gave Fish Shell another try after an earlier bad experience with it and a third-party application that was unable to install when Fish was the default terminal environment, and once again I ran into issues with things not working under Fish. This time it was an NPM dependency being unable to detect the terminal environment, which prevented our webapp from compiling.

I just want to be able to use Powerline fonts and autocomplete in a standard Bash setup, is that too much to ask?

Fish ought to work fine with bash scripts if they bother to shebang. If you're talking about Node/NPM itself I would suspect there's something wrong with your setup. On the other hand, if you're talking about some package off NPM, yeah that could be a crapshoot.

Yeah, this is the next best thing. Turning on too many OMZ plugins will slow things down and it still won't be as slick as Fish, but it's most of the way there and shouldn't cause any incompatibilities.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Why is Safari showing Facebook like this if I zoom out a little? It's annoying having it so zoomed in and don't display the chat list.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Get FBPurity and fix up the Facebook layout to the way YOU like it.

Requires you install Tampermonkey but worth it IMHO. Available for Safari.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Hey install all this poo poo and give it access to your FB data.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

GoldfishStew posted:

this might be a salient point if it wasn't your facebook data and already being sold to anyone who'll buy it by that cucked gently caress, the zuck

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Democratize access to Total Informational Awareness of your every moment. Everyone can be the NSA! And when everyone's the NSA...

No one will be.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Zuck only wants to be President so he can finally get the personal information of everyone in the country who isn't on Facebook.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Zuck only wants to be President so he can finally get the personal information of everyone in the country who isn't on Facebook.

He's already pretty much got this through the information he's collected on their friends and acquaintances. Only isolated cells that don't use Facebook or web browsers or apps would be immune from this.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

new mac user question: can anyone tell me why opening my ntfs-formatted drive from the desktop opens a 'special' finder window with no toolbars or navigation functions, that opens all subfolders in seperate windows? My first computer was a performa (which was functionally obsolete when I got it but still blew my mind) and I remember classic mac os having this kind of behaviour

i assume it's something to do with the drive being formatted as ntfs, although i have osxfuse installed so it works pretty seamlessly. any way to disable this behaviour?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Generic Monk posted:

new mac user question: can anyone tell me why opening my ntfs-formatted drive from the desktop opens a 'special' finder window with no toolbars or navigation functions, that opens all subfolders in seperate windows? My first computer was a performa (which was functionally obsolete when I got it but still blew my mind) and I remember classic mac os having this kind of behaviour

i assume it's something to do with the drive being formatted as ntfs, although i have osxfuse installed so it works pretty seamlessly. any way to disable this behaviour?

Does it stop if you do View > Show Toolbar on one of them?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Generic Monk posted:

MacOS doesn't support NTFS fully out of the box. You can get it to act 'normally,' either by paying for a third party driver or enabling the in-built NTFS support, which has its limitations, such as the drive not appearing like a normal drive and having to be accessed via /Volumes

https://www.howtogeek.com/236055/how-to-write-to-ntfs-drives-on-a-mac/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Get Paragon NTFS and never think about it again

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just format the drive as exFAT if you want to share it between PCs and Macs. If it's internal to your Mac you should format it as HFS+ or, soon, APFS and expose it to your network as a share. I've personally had nothing but bad luck with NTFS drivers on macOS and Linux, similarly HFS drivers on Windows. For some reason there are always quirks especially related to mounting and the way usermode file system drivers handle events etc. I haven't had any data loss incidents (which apparently do occur), but usermode file system drivers always make the volume feel 'foreign', there's a gotcha at every corner. That's just my opinion, at least. I keep my drives formatted to the file system of choice for the host OS, except for portable / external drives, which I keep in exFAT.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there a way to force sync iCloud? It's so slow to sync the desktop items or it's just stuck. I even shut off little snitch to see if that is the issue. :wtf: is wrong with this poo poo UPLOAD!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

Is there a way to force sync iCloud? It's so slow to sync the desktop items or it's just stuck. I even shut off little snitch to see if that is the issue. :wtf: is wrong with this poo poo UPLOAD!

You can restart your Mac. Apparently iCloud sync is triggered by disconnecting and then connecting to a network, so you could try that too. Another option is to disable sync and then re-enable it, which should also trigger a sync. You could try checking Console.app or running brctl log -w to see what's going on. Is bird consuming a lot of CPU?

And don't worry about Little Snitch, the new version should whitelist all of Apple's stuff by default.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pivo posted:

You can restart your Mac. Apparently iCloud sync is triggered by disconnecting and then connecting to a network, so you could try that too. Another option is to disable sync and then re-enable it, which should also trigger a sync. You could try checking Console.app or running brctl log -w to see what's going on. Is bird consuming a lot of CPU?

And don't worry about Little Snitch, the new version should whitelist all of Apple's stuff by default.
Turning on and off sync didn't work but restarting my MacBook Pro did the trick. Thanks!

I turned Little Snitch back on too.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

restarting my MacBook Pro did the trick

if I had a penny each time ...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GoldfishStew posted:

By that argument, every web extension has access to all of your data.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Binary Badger posted:

Get FBPurity and fix up the Facebook layout to the way YOU like it.

Requires you install Tampermonkey but worth it IMHO. Available for Safari.

I cleared cache/cookies stuff and it fixed some stuff (message tabs were hidden etc). But still can't make it look smaller.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Bit of a weird one that I'm having trouble Googling for: Can I create (and then bookmark in Safari) a URL that will jump me into an app? Some kind of URL-scheme sorta thing?

I've created a Fluid app for TeuxDeux.com (my to-do list) and, instead of opening the website when I click the bookmark in Safari, I'd like it to ping me over to the always-running fullscreen 'app' instead. It's not a major issue or anything but just something I'm kinda curious about as I think it'd suit my workflow / how my muscle-memory wants to do things.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I made an Apple event thread. High Sierra will likely get a release date but other macOS software/hardware isn't expected to make appearances.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Are there any tests I can run to see if I'm vulnerable via the network? I'm starting to fiddle with allowing outside access to my machine so I can more easily access my files and screen share remotely, but I don't want to make a stupid mistake and leave myself too open.

Also, I don't need an Airport router to use Back to my Mac, right? I can configure that with any router because it uses iCloud as the intermediary now I think?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Pivo posted:

Just format the drive as exFAT

Do not actually do this, unless you'd be okay with the same shittiness of FAT32. Use a network share.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

Do not actually do this, unless you'd be okay with the same shittiness of FAT32. Use a network share.

that is what i said to do, use a network share, unless it's an external drive. if you're physically moving it between different operating systems, exFAT just works.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

exFat is not "good" but it's no where near as old and lovely as fat32. fat32 can't do files bigger than 4gb lol

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I mean more along the lines of lacking any sort of reliability. It has some checksums thrown on the directory table to prevent mounting totally corrupt volumes, and that's about it. It's a better idea than using NTFS on a Mac, but far worse than just using a network share.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

yes but it's your only option for having compatibility across platforms on external drives

it should hopefully be evident to everyone that if you are hosting a drive internally you should format it in the file system your host OS prefers

it's just common sense.

but exfat works for externals.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

We'll be lucky if we get new hardware -- let's use this as the event thread!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

i think the event thread is here dude :P

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

lol nice try movax

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I just wanted some people to stay here instead of IYG :smith:

Apple has forsaken us in the land of serious hardware.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IYG gets the iOS events, SHSC gets WWDC and the Mac events

Come on man

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

IYG gets the iOS events, SHSC gets WWDC and the Mac events

Come on man

Quoting this for the surprise iMac Pro announcement at the end!

And then realizing this is the wrong thread for it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So is official MacOS release expected to be announced today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

So is official MacOS release expected to be announced today?
In past years they typically just reinforce “later this Fall”.