Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
I'm going to shamelessly self-promote a video I was able to capture at Pax West. World is really good, and I imagine the final build will be even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUEwoo8Nsq4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Social Dissonance posted:

I'm going to shamelessly self-promote a video I was able to capture at Pax West. World is really good, and I imagine the final build will be even better:

I watched this last night when I saw it in my recommends. And was like, oh poo poo it's Social Dissonance! I remember your super helpful posts back when I first started playing Tri.

Vid was awesome btw. Glad to finally see people take on Rath. And some actually good Bow gameplay too!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
hi shepard, what platform will you be playing World on if you choose to get it

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

At 12:30, how the gently caress did you not get hit by the Rathalos' charge or its tail swipe?

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

hi shepard, what platform will you be playing World on if you choose to get it

PS4 to start, as I have a pro. If it can handle a solid (enough) 60fps1080 I'll stay on that, otherwise I might switch to PC.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

At 12:30, how the gently caress did you not get hit by the Rathalos' charge or its tail swipe?

If you keep watching, you'll actually see he was a little bit on a hill above me. I had just finished a crouch fire too, which may have helped.

If he had the hitbox from Freedom Unite everyone in that mission would have died several times over playing the way we did.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
How does PC monster hunter work controls-wise? I assume a gamepad works but is there a decent keyboard/mouse setup?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Unless you're talking about the Chinese or Japanese exclusive MMOs, which I don't think are very representative, we don't know yet.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

PS4 to start, as I have a pro. If it can handle a solid (enough) 60fps1080 I'll stay on that, otherwise I might switch to PC.
Still early, but initial reports are Pro/XboneX versions will simply support higher resolution; framerate still at 30.

Spectral Werewolf posted:

How does PC monster hunter work controls-wise? I assume a gamepad works but is there a decent keyboard/mouse setup?

Most likely Xinput, possibly Dinput. Assuming a Steam port a lot can be handled through the Steam API with out-of-the-box support for PS4 or other controllers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is awesome, thanks for that, but seeing Rathalos squeeze it's way through the trees to get to you is terrifying.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is great!

Rathalos is a Garuga-tier garbage monster in my book, and it looks like he might be fighting to still keep that title in MHW. :( The animations do look more fluid though, and it looks like the hitboxes make more sense at least?

I heard the demo is tuned to be easier than the actual game, but with your experience with the demo do you think that that extends to invulnerability frames too or just damage/health numbers? That question's one of the reasons I've wanted Rathalos footage, because I haven't been able to tell clearly from the footage of the new monsters if the hitboxes are more sensible this time around or if the players are just given evade+3 under the hood for demo purposes.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Your Computer posted:

This is great!

Rathalos is a Garuga-tier garbage monster in my book, and it looks like he might be fighting to still keep that title in MHW. :( The animations do look more fluid though, and it looks like the hitboxes make more sense at least?

I heard the demo is tuned to be easier than the actual game, but with your experience with the demo do you think that that extends to invulnerability frames too or just damage/health numbers? That question's one of the reasons I've wanted Rathalos footage, because I haven't been able to tell clearly from the footage of the new monsters if the hitboxes are more sensible this time around or if the players are just given evade+3 under the hood for demo purposes.

While anything can change from demo to release, I think we're going to get the super tight/"forgiving" hitboxes into the main game. I don't see why they'd go through the effort of retuning hitboxes to make one specific build easier. In terms of damage we did so little and took so much that I don't think they planned on anyone trying to kill the Rathalos (although we did get him to sleep).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

While anything can change from demo to release, I think we're going to get the super tight/"forgiving" hitboxes into the main game. I don't see why they'd go through the effort of retuning hitboxes to make one specific build easier. In terms of damage we did so little and took so much that I don't think they planned on anyone trying to kill the Rathalos (although we did get him to sleep).
So you reckon it's tighter hitboxes and not extra iframes then? If that's the case, that's really good news :woop:

And yeah, as for the damage and such I meant against the Anjanath and Jagras since they mentioned that the demo was tuned to be easier due to the time constraints and such when playing the demo. Wouldn't be out of the question to give the demo characters some extra iframes too, but if it's the actual hitboxes that are more accurate then I can't see them changing that in the final version.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I like how you were between the legs of that los and didn't get hit by a magic hitbox when it was running.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Marogareh posted:

I like how you were between the legs of that los and didn't get hit by a magic hitbox when it was running.

It will be great to see hitbox comparisons between this and Bloodborne. New challenger for the crown?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's everyone's favorite weapon/style combo for farming Brachy parts? I didn't really farm him when I first played Generations, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea now in XX.

And on that topic, with 4U fresh in mind I can safely say that they made some of these monsters way more aggressive in Gen. The two that have stood out the most until now is Brachy and Kirin who are just relentless compared to in 4U. Good thing Adept exists v:v:v

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Your Computer posted:

What's everyone's favorite weapon/style combo for farming Brachy parts? I didn't really farm him when I first played Generations, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea now in XX.

And on that topic, with 4U fresh in mind I can safely say that they made some of these monsters way more aggressive in Gen. The two that have stood out the most until now is Brachy and Kirin who are just relentless compared to in 4U. Good thing Adept exists v:v:v

Brachy telegraphs very loudly for just about everything, so he's a great candidate for guard-pointing on the Charge Blade. He's also very clownable with Longsword (those fade slashes!) if you have Biology slotted to avoid getting blastblight while you dance around his slime puddles.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The only way I was able to reliably break Brachy's hands was with Lance, everything else I didn't have enough pinpoint accuracy and would end up killing him first.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

Brachy telegraphs very loudly for just about everything, so he's a great candidate for guard-pointing on the Charge Blade. He's also very clownable with Longsword (those fade slashes!) if you have Biology slotted to avoid getting blastblight while you dance around his slime puddles.
Adept Longsword has been my go-to way to just kill him but it's not the best at breaking all his stuff before he dies :(

Tender Bender posted:

The only way I was able to reliably break Brachy's hands was with Lance, everything else I didn't have enough pinpoint accuracy and would end up killing him first.
How do you deal with the slime when using Lance, considering how immobile it is? I tried using Brave Gunlance to break his stuff but I actually ended up carting due to explosions. His attacks are mostly telegraphed well enough (although he does swivel around something crazy when enraged which makes immobility an issue) but what got me was that I blocked or guard pointed his attacks only to be hit by his explosions (enraged) or his slime.

Which brings me to an unrelated point; Brave Gunlance is bonkers, and it makes some really annoying monsters a cakewalk. Stuff like Tigrex just becomes "Guard Point full reload, full burst, rinse and repeat until monster dead". Unlike Brave LS it keeps its crazy guard point even when not in Brave mode, so it's not a big deal if it runs out which makes aggressive monsters much easier to deal with. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to use a non-Brave Gunlance in MHW though :v:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Adept Longsword has been my go-to way to just kill him but it's not the best at breaking all his stuff before he dies :(

How do you deal with the slime when using Lance, considering how immobile it is? I tried using Brave Gunlance to break his stuff but I actually ended up carting due to explosions. His attacks are mostly telegraphed well enough (although he does swivel around something crazy when enraged which makes immobility an issue) but what got me was that I blocked or guard pointed his attacks only to be hit by his explosions (enraged) or his slime.

Very carefully :v:

Realtalk I don't remember, it's been over a year since I really played and my Brachy farming spree was a while before that :(

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Just be a real pro and sleep bomb everything.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
My go to for Brachy was always water DBs. I was in constant need of Brachy pounders and DBs were perfect for hitting those. Plus, water element has the added effect of washing away the slime on his arms, causing him to have to lick them more constantly. I think! :v:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Just make the plesioth LBG or whatever rapid fires water shots the best in XX and shoot his arms off

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Your Computer posted:

Any style of Bow wrecks Brachy with ease.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Dehumanize yourself and face to HBG.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Any input on Stories, since it's coming out friday. The demo's pretty huge, and if you're on the fence, definetly give a try.

Remember when Capcom made good turn-based RPGs? Well its time again!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Biology, or Hero Shield. The latter will probably still get slimed if hit by brachy's pounders - I think it only works if you try trundling through puddles. Biology is easy to gem in, and takes a lot of pressure off, I just recommend going for it when lancing. It's like Tremor. It seems like a waste, but saves so much trouble or opens that many more windows that it makes all the difference.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Just be a real pro and sleep bomb everything.

it was really hard to force myself to start doing things like using traps aggressively and sleep-bombing. it was like, "no way, that makes it so easy, i can do it the hard way, and besides i dont have infinite traps". it wasn't until rajang that I finally caved and realized how good it was to use all of the tools you had available.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Countblanc posted:

it was really hard to force myself to start doing things like using traps aggressively and sleep-bombing. it was like, "no way, that makes it so easy, i can do it the hard way, and besides i dont have infinite traps". it wasn't until rajang that I finally caved and realized how good it was to use all of the tools you had available.

There's a point where you want a fair, exciting fight, and there's a point where gently caress you gimme your goddamn horn you bullshit monkey.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

There's a point where you want a fair, exciting fight, and there's a point where gently caress you gimme your goddamn horn you bullshit monkey.

With Rajang I usually reach that point about halfway through the first hunt.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Fancy Hat! posted:

Any input on Stories, since it's coming out friday. The demo's pretty huge, and if you're on the fence, definetly give a try.

Remember when Capcom made good turn-based RPGs? Well its time again!
It's pretty depressingly cynical. Everything in the game has been focus grouped to oblivion for maximum child marketability, right down to having a special pose and catchphrase for the series and a bizarre Felyne mascot.

The game itself is an alright RPG-lite from what I played in Japanese, but it very much exists to plug the anime and vice versa.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I think it's really entertaining and the animations are fun + lively. I'm looking forward to playing the full game. Collecting monsters and trying to find ones with the best set of genes satisfies my inner RNJesus cultist. I also enjoy the aesthetic a lot, it's got a solid caricature of the main series' look to it.

I can see why a MH fan might dislike it though, it's very, very different from a normal MH title. I tend to like cuter games, like Harvest Moon and Fantasy Life, but I also happen to be a fan of hunting games and MH, so to me it's a marriage of two things I enjoy. If you don't like Pokémon or simple, cutesy games, you probably won't like Stories. I would think people looking for that same satisfaction from MH's usual combat would be super dismayed by it from what I've experienced so far.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Using the available tools (traps etc) is a smart move, and honestly my biggest reason for not doing so is inventory management :( Scrolling through a large inventory mid combat is awful, and I hope MHW takes a note from Dark Souls/Bloodborne to make it a bit easier to use (aka easier access to healing)

Also I swear the AI knows when you put up a trap because I got a trapper cat and whenever he deploys one the monster changes area, like 9 times out of 10 :argh:

:negative:

e: in unrelated news, I finally finished all of the low rank quests in MHXX (I have a problem) and started village high rank :woop: Seeing the Ancestral Steppe in high resolution makes me all giddy.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 7, 2017

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Are there any resources for menu and vendor option translations for Double Cross? My son and I picked the game up for the Switch but it's been so long since I played Monster Hunter I am having trouble navigating the village. Right now we are just trying to use Google Translate and the kiranico website and it works great for quests and items. It's just that we are struggling to figure out the rest of this stuff.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Are there any resources for menu and vendor option translations for Double Cross? My son and I picked the game up for the Switch but it's been so long since I played Monster Hunter I am having trouble navigating the village. Right now we are just trying to use Google Translate and the kiranico website and it works great for quests and items. It's just that we are struggling to figure out the rest of this stuff.

Everything's in the same place as in Generations so the easiest way is to cross-reference with that, but if you don't have it then.. yeah, I can imagine it's a bit more difficult.

I found this though, which goes over a lot of the item box/equipment/online menus:
http://imgur.com/a/kajfC

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

A Spider Covets posted:

I think it's really entertaining and the animations are fun + lively. I'm looking forward to playing the full game. Collecting monsters and trying to find ones with the best set of genes satisfies my inner RNJesus cultist. I also enjoy the aesthetic a lot, it's got a solid caricature of the main series' look to it.

I can see why a MH fan might dislike it though, it's very, very different from a normal MH title. I tend to like cuter games, like Harvest Moon and Fantasy Life, but I also happen to be a fan of hunting games and MH, so to me it's a marriage of two things I enjoy. If you don't like Pokémon or simple, cutesy games, you probably won't like Stories. I would think people looking for that same satisfaction from MH's usual combat would be super dismayed by it from what I've experienced so far.

Yeah, that's exactly why it appeals to me. I love Pokemon and Fantasy Life, and I also like bashing huge monsters in the face, carving up their bits, and making a hat out of 'em. MonHun Stories combines Pokemon with Monster Hunter, and unlike Pokemon, you can actually ride around on your friends! It's amazing and I can't wait to play the full game tomorrow!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Well there's no real carving and such haha. Not like MH proper. It's turn based combat and it's rreeeaaallly simple at that. But I hear ya, game on friend. :)

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

This is a hell of a username/avatar/post combo

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
Here's another viewpoint of the hunt I posted earlier, this time with gunlance from another hunter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qho8f2lMu3Q

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, that's exactly why it appeals to me. I love Pokemon and Fantasy Life, and I also like bashing huge monsters in the face, carving up their bits, and making a hat out of 'em. MonHun Stories combines Pokemon with Monster Hunter, and unlike Pokemon, you can actually ride around on your friends! It's amazing and I can't wait to play the full game tomorrow!

yea monhun stories is incredibly My Jam. I get that for many it's not, I doubt it'll do super well, but combining MH and pokemon with a cute style like this and the basic element of 'haha I'm riding a monster and fuckin this guy up, sweet' is pretty gold by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Your Computer posted:

Everything's in the same place as in Generations so the easiest way is to cross-reference with that, but if you don't have it then.. yeah, I can imagine it's a bit more difficult.

I found this though, which goes over a lot of the item box/equipment/online menus:
http://imgur.com/a/kajfC

Thanks for the link. That helps a bit. I am probably going to print something out to be used as an idiot proof guide so I don't destroy my phone battery looking the same things up over and over.

• Locked thread