Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Smoked some spare ribs and they turned out great. Only ended up being about 4 hours at 225. I used hickory and apple wood. Did not crutch/foil. Used the Memphis dust from amazing ribs as the rub, and Brooks bbq sauce. My favorite reaction was "oh my God" from someone who doesn't eat a lot of meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Dang, they put the hog in mahogany. Nice

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
This was one of the 2 that I smoked. They turned out pretty good though the smaller one was a little overcooked so it shredded more than sliced but it was dried out. I did only end up doing salt and pepper on both and also didn't do burnt ends because of the issues I had. Overall everyone liked it and I have a nice size chunk left for brisket sandwiches this week.

For the Pepper stout beef guy I always just follow the recipe page as far as time and temp. Then when it goes into the oven to reduce the liquid I let it go for the time they say and check with a fork to see if it is ready. Stick a fork in and twist. If it twists and shreds the meat then you are good. If not check again in 10-20 minutes.

For the Costco roast guy do yourself a favor and make the Pepper Stout Beef. You can leave out the Jalepenos if you don't want the heat. The black pepper won't make it 'hot' but it will have a peppery bite. So good.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 5, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Did a smallish (11 lbs) prime packer brisket for a BBQ yesterday. Threw it in the MES at 225* with apple and hickory pellets at 10pm Sunday night and the flat was still at 196* as of 3pm the next day. For some reason my amaze'n pellet smoker wouldn't stay lit so the smoke stopped and started a bunch of times in the first couple hours and was completely gone for a few hours in the early morning, but I think it still flavored the meat well.

Despite the difficulties the flat came out awesome - tender with an awesome bark and not dry! Easily the best I've ever made.

The point finished to 203* a couple hours before that and I turned those into burnt ends, but the local BBQ sauce I used was mediocre.

Still, it was a huge success overall!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Weber kettles are good for smoking, right?

I'm staying at home with my parents right now and they don't have a grill anymore. I'm thinking about buying one once I have some money, but I haven't smoked on a Weber kettle in years.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I love mine. It heats up quick and holds heat adequately for what it is. I just wish I could get a better seal. At that price point I don't think here's anything remotely comparable.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
My dinner tonight, leftovers...

But I will take leftovers like that any day!

F
Nov 6, 2005

Webber kettles do pretty well for what they are. The most important thing was to get an accurate thermometer. That aside, as was said previously, they hold heat relatively well and respond well to vent adjustment.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Trastion posted:

My dinner tonight, leftovers...

But I will take leftovers like that any day!

The leftovers (When they happen) are some of my favorite parts of home bbq. My go to is still throwing them on top of homemade mac&cheese but recently we've been making tacos. No pictures but last night we made pulled pork tacos with kimchi and pickled onions. delicious.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My pulled pork didn't come out super amazing as it has in the past, I didn't use enough rub I don't think.

:(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

F posted:

Webber kettles do pretty well for what they are. The most important thing was to get an accurate thermometer. That aside, as was said previously, they hold heat relatively well and respond well to vent adjustment.

Used a Weber Smokey Mountain for the first time this weekend. Was able to pin it at 205 for 12 hours without issue. 5lb brisket flat came out awesome.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Weber kettles are good for smoking, right?

I'm staying at home with my parents right now and they don't have a grill anymore. I'm thinking about buying one once I have some money, but I haven't smoked on a Weber kettle in years.

I smoked on mine for a while when I was getting started. The first time or two I had a little trouble holding steady temperature (but I was doing pork butts so it didn't really matter). I started using a Smokenator around the same time I started clipping 5-6 binder clips around the rim so I can't really say which one made the most difference but it's pretty easy holding 225-250 now.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

tater_salad posted:

My pulled pork didn't come out super amazing as it has in the past, I didn't use enough rub I don't think.

was it dry? DId you get it any injections?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

tater_salad posted:

What temp did you take it to? It was a shoulder cut?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shoulder cut, fat on top took it to 193, just didn't induce the mouth orgasm that my past 2 shoulders have caused.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

tater_salad posted:

Shoulder cut, fat on top took it to 193, just didn't induce the mouth orgasm that my past 2 shoulders have caused.

Have you always pulled your shoulders at 193? I like shoulders up above 200 myself but each cut is different.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

qutius posted:

Have you always pulled your shoulders at 193? I like shoulders up above 200 myself but each cut is different.

Agreed...sometimes you do end up with a tough pig from the start.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I still don't understand how the Franklin BBQ guy can smoke his beef ribs at 275 degrees for NINE HOURS. Even with spritzing every 10 minutes mine are always ready in 4 hours (and usually dried out more than I'd like.) :smith:

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

I still don't understand how the Franklin BBQ guy can smoke his beef ribs at 275 degrees for NINE HOURS. Even with spritzing every 10 minutes mine are always ready in 4 hours (and usually dried out more than I'd like.) :smith:

I think you're cooking Pork Ribs. Beef Ribs can take up to 10 hours depending on their thickness.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

RisqueBarber posted:

I think you're cooking Pork Ribs. Beef Ribs can take up to 10 hours depending on their thickness.

Definitely Beef right from the local non-chain butcher! They have a decent amount of meat on them as well. Maybe my temps are creeping much higher than I think they are on a base Weber 21" although I've had the same results on a large gas grill off the heat w/the lid cracked open. Done in 4-5 and pushing too dry. New thermometers installed in both that are spot on as far as I can tell for everything else I cook.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 7, 2017

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
are you getting the pretty tall beef ribs? we did some of those recently and they took all god drat day. pretty delicious, though.

going to do a big ol pork shoulder this weekend for week 1 of the NFL. going to get it going Saturday evening and let it cook overnight, drat thing is huge. first shoulder I've done myself in quite a while so looking forward to a long cook! debating on injecting some brine on this one after having good luck with that doing the whole hog. never done it for smaller at home stuff though.

I would eat those ribs.

qutius fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 7, 2017

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They are taller than Franklin's but not dino-huge or anything. I'll pick some more up tomorrow and try again on Saturday.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

According to his episode on BBQ with Franklin where he does beef ribs, he says 6 hours for a modest size plate rib.

http://video.klru.tv/video/2365518636/ 20min mark.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Agreed...sometimes you do end up with a tough pig from the start.

It's been so long since I did pulled pork so.i dug around online and most places said 190-200, it was getting late so I just pulled it out when I checked the temp and it read over 190.

It was tender the bone pulled right out and cleanly.. just didn't taste amazing maybe I should have used the hickory longer before switching to cherry, maybe it wasn't a good cut.. was still yummy, just not orgasm inducing.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm convinced in these cases of things finishing fast and being dry it's got to be just meat quality and amount of marbling. The plate you see Aaron cooking has a ton of fat in it, so I'm guessing that's why it holds up for so long.

Or when you say the ribs were 'done' what does that mean? Temperature? Tenderness?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
The pastrami i am making just went into the smoker. Holy poo poo is this a long process. one week soaking in brine, one week sitting in the fridge covered in the spices, now smoke it then cool it then steam it....

this better be fuckin' worth it :D

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I did a hybrid ruhlman amazin ribs pastrami earlier this year. It's a huge pain in the rear end, but absolutely worth it. So loving good.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm convinced in these cases of things finishing fast and being dry it's got to be just meat quality and amount of marbling. The plate you see Aaron cooking has a ton of fat in it, so I'm guessing that's why it holds up for so long.

Or when you say the ribs were 'done' what does that mean? Temperature? Tenderness?

Definitely "done" as in falling off the bone and completely cooked and drying up at the tips.

I ran out of time to go the butcher but I grabbed some from my local Sacramento, CA grocery yesterday that I will smoke tomorrow on the Weber. These are very similar to what I'd get at the butcher (Roseville Meat Company) but less than half the price. They are definitely not as thick and fat as the Franklin ribs so that makes sense they'd cook much quicker.

I've been smoking pork for 20+ years and that is beyond easy. These beef ribs are a different sort of "beast" to dial in.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Doom Rooster posted:

I did a hybrid ruhlman amazin ribs pastrami earlier this year. It's a huge pain in the rear end, but absolutely worth it. So loving good.

i'm dong the katz recreation from amazing ribs. It is so far a huge loving pain in the rear end.

But i had to slice part of it to get it to fix in my box smoker, and holy poo poo did the meat precook look beautiful. That curing salt sure did a good job.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm smoking a butt today. Been on since 8, at 175 right now. Gonna be a late dinner I fear.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm smoking a butt today. Been on since 8, at 175 right now. Gonna be a late dinner I fear.

i hate that. I've started smoking earlier and earlier in the day, just so i dont have to deal with 8 PM dinners and the biting comments coming from my wife. So if the brisket gets done at 3 PM? Ok, it sits in the cooler a few more hours.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I'm putting a pretty good sized pork shoulder on around 7pm tonight, should be plenty of time for things to be ready for lunch tomorrow. Having it done early would be a bonus, more time for it to hang out in the cooler and more time for me to get drunk before pulling it!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

i hate that. I've started smoking earlier and earlier in the day, just so i dont have to deal with 8 PM dinners and the biting comments coming from my wife. So if the brisket gets done at 3 PM? Ok, it sits in the cooler a few more hours.

I just hacked off ⅓ of it and tossed it in the pressure cooker (with some tasty liquid). Hopefully I can get that falling apart in short order.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I just hacked off ⅓ of it and tossed it in the pressure cooker (with some tasty liquid). Hopefully I can get that falling apart in short order.

my last brisket i got up at 5 AM and started smoking by 6. the bastard was STILL not done by 4:30 and i had to take it off at 192 to let it rest for 45 minutes before all my party gets revolted.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Brisket is the worst for timing, it generally takes for friggin ever and a day.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

Definitely "done" as in falling off the bone and completely cooked and drying up at the tips.

I ran out of time to go the butcher but I grabbed some from my local Sacramento, CA grocery yesterday that I will smoke tomorrow on the Weber. These are very similar to what I'd get at the butcher (Roseville Meat Company) but less than half the price. They are definitely not as thick and fat as the Franklin ribs so that makes sense they'd cook much quicker.

I've been smoking pork for 20+ years and that is beyond easy. These beef ribs are a different sort of "beast" to dial in.

Franklin cooks plate ribs, mainly because they have a lot more meat on them and are still well marbled enough to smoke well. Back ribs from what I know are less popular for smoking. I've tried back ribs a couple times before and they generally smoke well, but for about the amount of time you'd smoke a chicken.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah back ribs are a completely different beast from plate/short ribs. I think most butchers try to keep as much meat on the ribeye as possible so you mainly just have meat in between the bones, with a little on top (if you're lucky, if you're unlucky they're practically shiners). I think it's not really a commonly used cut for smoking.

Starting a big boston butt tomorrow (9lb). Try to get up as early as possible, though I'm definitely going to crutch it, and probably cook in the 250-275 range, so I don't expect problems finishing before dinner. Fingers crossed.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

tater_salad posted:

Brisket is the worst for timing, it generally takes for friggin ever and a day.

the last brisket I did, a prime packer from Costco, finished so fast it felt like black magic. turned out delicious, at least.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Starting a big boston butt tomorrow (9lb). Try to get up as early as possible, though I'm definitely going to crutch it, and probably cook in the 250-275 range, so I don't expect problems finishing before dinner. Fingers crossed.

mine was 9 pounds as well, got her going about 2 hours ago for an over-night cook. sleeping on the couch next to the thermometer display in case something goes haywire either direction tonight...

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Picked up two prime briskets for $2.99/lb at the Redmond Costco today. One going on the smoker tonight, one in our new garage freezer that I'm SO GLAD WE JUST GOT. St. Louis ribs were also $2.99/lb with another $4 coupon per package so I grabbed some of those as well.

This freezer will be the death of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Tivac posted:

Picked up two prime briskets for $2.99/lb at the Redmond Costco today. One going on the smoker tonight, one in our new garage freezer that I'm SO GLAD WE JUST GOT. St. Louis ribs were also $2.99/lb with another $4 coupon per package so I grabbed some of those as well.

This freezer will be the death of me.

Business Costco sells spareribs for under $2/lb if you're ever up in Lynnwood. Cash and Carry is similar when they run a sale, but still cheaper than normal Costco.