Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Really is quite the oversight isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

oh he's a full on alcoholic?

welp.

He's been through rehab (actual, legitimate inpatient stays) on several occasions over the past two decades and was seen on multiple occasions this past summer buying poo poo-tons of booze with his new girlfriend (the SNL producer whom he already wants to marry, :laffo:). Dude's in trouble and has been for a long time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe I'm just projecting but anyone who loudly says "I feel GREAT!" should probably be on suicide watch or something.

I dunno, man. If I had had a bunch of burgers after seeing Fast Five for the first time I probably would have yelled the same thing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Affleck is on Venom, obviously.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I know you mean Bane, but I'm picturing him as James McCloud, trapped haunting Andross.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

I dunno, man. If I had had a bunch of burgers after seeing Fast Five for the first time I probably would have yelled the same thing.

It's almost impossible to be negative after watching that movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg7Mcfun7yM

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I know you mean Bane, but I'm picturing him as James McCloud, trapped haunting Andross.

Batman took Venom too. :ssh:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/status/905563947067072512

O'Connor directed The Accountant, where Ben Affleck was an autistic accountant/assassin, and also Warrior.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'm very much worried he doesn't have the psychosexual chops for the job.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sassassin posted:

I don't care how good Affleck's nutritionist is or how much free time he supposedly has, a 45 year old man doesn't drink as much as he does and look like Batman without some chemical help.

All Cavill and Momoa do in their off-time is get wasted.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

O'Connor directed The Accountant, where Ben Affleck was an autistic accountant/assassin, and also Warrior.

SS2 will be mad white.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Warrior was very good. The Accountant was very not.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Warrior was very good. The Accountant was very not.

In fairness, Warrior was developed by O'Connor himself.

The Accountant was written by Bill Dubuque, author of such classic films as The Judge and A Family Man.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Darko posted:

They're both a lot younger. Also, Momoa has some loving ridiculous genetics going on.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Accountant was mad stupid but it looked good and all the acting was slick, within the bounds of the mostly awful material. Honestly it's shameless and earnest dumbness make it a better superhero origin than any of the marvel flicks but one, even if Ben's super power is "autistic abuse victim"

But yeah are there any black people in Warrior OR Accountant besides JK Simmons's pointless protege character

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Darko posted:

Getting wasted and getting alcoholic aren't the same things.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

But yeah are there any black people in Warrior OR Accountant besides JK Simmons's pointless protege character

Noted black man, JK Simmons

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Noted black man, JK Simmons

"JK Simmons's pointless protege character"

JK Simmons played JK Simmons' pointless protege character?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

In fairness, Warrior was developed by O'Connor himself.

The Accountant was written by Bill Dubuque, author of such classic films as The Judge and A Family Man.

The Judge was BRUTAL. I was mildly looking forward to Downey doing a real movie for once and it was raw rear end.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

"JK Simmons's pointless protege character"

JK Simmons played JK Simmons' pointless protege character?

It sounded like you were saying the pointless protege character was played by JK Simmons, rather than being the protege of JK Simmons. :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It sounded like you were saying the pointless protege character was played by JK Simmons, rather than being the protege of JK Simmons. :v:

You reading the thread drunk tonight, Boots?

I didn't post that. I just caught it and it amused me.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Accountant was loving dumb.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

SS2 will be mad white.

Hahaha

Warrior is great and The Accountant is dumb-but-fun, so I'm into this. It also ups the odds of my boy Joel Edgerton getting on the superhero train.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The Accountant will always hold a special place in my heart with that loving wave he does to the old folks after killing a dude with his belt.

Dumb but fun it is.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I watched the Netflix Death Note movie and it was pretty good. I've never seen the anime or read the comic, so I dunno how faithful of an adaptation it is, but I enjoyed the weirdness of it. Plus it had Lakeith Stanfield and I always like seeing that dude pop up, and he was especially good here. Also the effect for the demon guy was great, I liked that it was apparently a physical suit with just a CGI face.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

I watched the Netflix Death Note movie and it was pretty good. I've never seen the anime or read the comic, so I dunno how faithful of an adaptation it is, but I enjoyed the weirdness of it. Plus it had Lakeith Stanfield and I always like seeing that dude pop up, and he was especially good here. Also the effect for the demon guy was great, I liked that it was apparently a physical suit with just a CGI face.

The Death Note movie is loving art and I love it.

For reference, I hate Death Note and this feels like a movie made for me. The character of the main dude from the manga is basically put into his girlfriend and it's great.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LesterGroans posted:

Warrior is great and The Accountant is dumb-but-fun, so I'm into this. It also ups the odds of my boy Joel Edgerton getting on the superhero train.

Yes. Recast Rick Flag with Joel Edgerton, reuniting him with Will Smith.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Accountant is a movie with mixed priorities. It wants to be an autistic super assassin/accountant killing armies of gung ho dudes in cool ways, but it gets waylaid trying to explain how he got to be a super assassin.

the weird thing is, all the backstory scenes follow the same pattern, where they're narrated by people who don't know any one's names, so everyone is referred to by a descriptive title. "The guy who came in late punched the guy who was already there and the man in the funny hat just stood there and the man who didn't wear black socks..."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

The Accountant is a movie with mixed priorities. It wants to be an autistic super assassin/accountant killing armies of gung ho dudes in cool ways, but it gets waylaid trying to explain how he got to be a super assassin.

the weird thing is, all the backstory scenes follow the same pattern, where they're narrated by people who don't know any one's names, so everyone is referred to by a descriptive title. "The guy who came in late punched the guy who was already there and the man in the funny hat just stood there and the man who didn't wear black socks..."

The exposition dump by JK Simmons late in the movie is so insane it's basically a parody.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

The exposition dump by JK Simmons late in the movie is so insane it's basically a parody.

The fact that's it's accompanied by an actual scene, depicting what happened, and I'm still really unclear on what actually happened and how is sort of amazing. Like, they wrote it, remembered 'show, don't tell' as a maxim, showed it as well, and it still didn't communicate anything is...something.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's like a 20 minute sequence too.

Good to see this thread has changed topics from something goons know nothing about (fitness) to something they're familiar with (the spectrum).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Burkion posted:

For reference, I hate Death Note and this feels like a movie made for me. The character of the main dude from the manga is basically put into his girlfriend and it's great.

Yeah this is really on point.

For those of you who never enjoyed the originals as teenagers. If you want to get an understanding for just how differently the original sees its protagonist summarized in 2 minutes, I present:

Exhibit A:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QE9cmfxx4s

Exhibit B:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eehdWTyQrjg

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

It's like a 20 minute sequence too.

Good to see this thread has changed topics from something goons know nothing about (fitness) to something they're familiar with (the spectrum).

Speak for yourself, bro.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Don't sign my name on your posts

- The Spectrum

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Burkion posted:

His girlfriend in the movie is nothing like Light in the manga. Light is an ubermensch Moriarty in the manga and absolutely perfect to everyone until his mask falls off at the very end. His girlfriend in the movie is like one of the mobsters Light gives the Note to in the manga.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li9WxVM20TM&t=56s

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darko posted:

His girlfriend in the movie is nothing like Light in the manga. Light is an ubermensch Moriarty in the manga and absolutely perfect to everyone until his mask falls off at the very end. His girlfriend in the movie is like one of the mobsters Light gives the Note to in the manga.

I meant in that they're both God Complex having sociopaths that use others for their own gains and (try to) manipulate everyone around them.

Imagine Light if some gently caress off idiot boy with a compulsion to actually do good things got the Death Note instead of him and he had to play second fiddle

That's why she's Japanese Light and it's great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Judge was BRUTAL. I was mildly looking forward to Downey doing a real movie for once and it was raw rear end.

I wasn't expecting much from the trailers--right away, the whole thing felt like a poor man's John Grisham book, except written by someone with encephalitis--and the minute I saw fuckin' Dobkin directed it, I had no hope whatever.

But it was briefly on something, maybe Hulu, last year, and my wife really wanted to watch it, because she still thinks, "Oh, this movie has <x and y>, those are some big names," so we did ... and holy gently caress, that was trash. Just unbelievable trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was actually mad watching it because it was a nice treat to see Duvall again. Not like that though.

• Locked thread