Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Google maps says walking from North Platte, NE to Ogallala, NE is a 17 hour walk. It's 51 miles. Without food, water, decent shoes, etc. I don't see this working out too great. There are some small towns along the way so I guess there might be a place to stay tonight, but I dunno man.

e. The next place to stay along this route is the Park Motel in Sutherland, 20 miles from North Platte. 14" will go through Hershey first: it has food and services, but not a motel, as far as Google Maps can figure out.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Someone tell me he isn't walking. At least get a greyhound there.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have an old hand me down tent that I could send him but at this point I don't know how one would go about getting it to him.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah dude, don't start walking yet. Gimme a day or two and I can at least get you some cash for supplies at Walmart

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Dave and Goliath: A truck story.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

sneakyfrog posted:

Dave and Goliath: A truck story.

the weirdest of the Cars sequels yet

Dave seemed to indicate he's walking a couple posts back. Alternating 51 miles without supplies between 75 degrees and 45 at night seems harsh, especially lacking decent footwear, so I hope he's trying to catch a ride.. Given his cell reception is practically non-existent I hope Dave reconsiders actually walking that distance.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There is a thrift store homeless shelter in North Platte. They would probably go fetch his bike to stop the fart smell.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Do we know if his bike is IN oglalla?

Alternately, if he's really already left and is walking along hwy 30... Could someone from the shelter/store go pick him up and take him to oglalla?

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 6, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

The bike is not in Oglalla, that's just the closest place they'll send it if (emphasis theirs) they find it. Greyhound does not know where the bike is.

I need somebody to volunteer to be the contact for the Greyhound bag tracer, please. I'm headed to the airport in a couple of hours and just can't guarantee that I'll even get a phone call from them when (emphasis mine) they find Dave's stuff.

PM me your phone number / actual name ASAP if this could be you. I'll give you the details you'll need to interact with Greyhound.

e: thanks, wilfredmerriweathr, for volunteering. :glomp:

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 6, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just took a massive dump at the golden spike

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Tweet sent

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Have we figured out the Wal-Mart thing yet? I'm down to send a few bucks on an e gift card.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

DICK DICER posted:

Shame you couldn't hold it till Hershey.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

stealie72 posted:

Have we figured out the Wal-Mart thing yet? I'm down to send a few bucks on an e gift card.

Yeah, anybody who's interested in donating to the Walmart fund, PM me or email me.

Explodingsims2@gmail.com

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly its a miracle i made it that far. Bike shop in north platte has an xl frame 2017 cannondale trail SL 0 miles for $560. Im either getting my loving bike back or greyhound is gonna buy me a new one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DICK DICER posted:

That's... not on highway 30.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

If you look for the local fan club chairman he might give you a voucher!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Golden Spike Tower look it up on google maps scrub

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Leperflesh posted:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I looked it up. It's not on highway 30.

Literally on the wrong side of the tracks. I mean you can get to 30 from there, obviously. I'm just hoping 14" isn't lost.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

HandlingByJebus posted:

:siren: gently caress Greyhound all day, every day :siren:

Anygoon have friends or family who work there? We need somebody who knows the system to advise us.

I finally got SLC baggage on the phone. I almost shouldn't have bothered.

Greyhound won't deliver the box to North Platte, if they find it they're quick to add, because there's no station there. Closest station is Ogallala, NE and I've updated the tracer to have it sent there when/if located. That's ~50mi away. I leave the country in 5.5 hours. This is hosed and nobody I've spoken with at Greyhound seems to care. Dave doesn't even have proper footwear on him. I feel like a complete moron for telling Dave to trust Greyhound with this. :(

:derp: I am so sorry for not following this thread closer. I am about 15 miles south of Salt Lake City proper. I am not connected to Greyhound/anyone that works for GH but perhaps I can be of use in getting the box out of the hands of incompetence? Or meet up with goon wilfredmerriweathr to assist in helping somehow.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'm currently on hold with the Greyhound baggage tracking line - whether or not they will eventually answer is a drat mystery to me (much like the mystery of "how the gently caress does greyhound stay in business").

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Ok, got off the phone with Greyhound. These guys are fuckin idiots.

The guy I spoke with confirmed they are looking for the package. He also informed me that, to actually pick it up, Dave needs three forms of ID - his ticket for the original trip, his picture ID, and the fuckin' bag claim receipt which was apparently never given to anyone. Not only that, but he needs to show up in person at a greyhound station to fill out a lost bag claim form - they will look for his poo poo in the meantime, but will not ship it out to him if found without that form filled out.

In conclusion - gently caress greyhound

Does anybody live in denver and have some old camping gear/a bike that dick can use to ride into valhalla?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Update

It sounds like 14 is pretty set on walking to oglalla. He said the only thing he will turn around for is the bike he mentioned at outdoors alive (which actually looks like a decent entry level mtb and price - it's probably 27.5 or 29 inch wheels but at this point he doesn't have his spare tubes/tires anyway.)

I unfortunately am extremely tight on cash right now as I just moved into a house and have had some unexpected expenses come up, but do y'all think you can raise that much? Like $560?

I feel bad I can't do more. I am thinking I will go to the greyhound station tomorrow and talk to someone in person to see if they can cut us some slack on the ID requirements to get his package should they find it - but other than that, anyone have ideas? Any lawyers want to chime in on if there's a way to gently caress with greyhound over their dumb blind asses?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I thought it was the other way round - certainly was that way here with Ivan Milat and a bunch of other nutcases murdering hitch hikers.

Either way. We had Gary Ridgway killing women he picked up as a truck driver. Supposedly killed at least 70 in the 80s and 90s.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Update

It sounds like 14 is pretty set on walking to oglalla. He said the only thing he will turn around for is the bike he mentioned at outdoors alive (which actually looks like a decent entry level mtb and price - it's probably 27.5 or 29 inch wheels but at this point he doesn't have his spare tubes/tires anyway.)

I unfortunately am extremely tight on cash right now as I just moved into a house and have had some unexpected expenses come up, but do y'all think you can raise that much? Like $560?

I feel bad I can't do more. I am thinking I will go to the greyhound station tomorrow and talk to someone in person to see if they can cut us some slack on the ID requirements to get his package should they find it - but other than that, anyone have ideas? Any lawyers want to chime in on if there's a way to gently caress with greyhound over their dumb blind asses?

I'm not sure how much goodwill is left here for Dave, but last time we raised like $700 for that VW shell in the field, so I'm sure we can get close at least.

If we can camp in town for another day or so. I'm good for $200 on Friday.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Man gently caress greyhound. 14 says he is walking I told him to tell me if he needs help/lodging. I don't think we should entertain the thought of buying a $600 bike right now. Let's tweet at greyhound maybe reach out try to get it linked from somewhere with a following? I've got like 3 people who have offered to chip in on hotel rooms for now.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I will continue to follow up with greyhound but I have no clue when or if the package will show up. Please note dave has 30 days from sept 3 (so like 25 days give or take left) to get to a greyhound station and fill out this claim form that they say they need to release the package to him. That's if we can't generate a loud enough stink to get them to waive a bunch of these dumb requirements, but the indian call center agent stressed this repeatedly so it's probably a good assumption that this will be needed.

NM, if I have inferred correctly from your posts, you are a member of the bar, no? Do you have any insight into whether or not we may be able to get greyhound to waive the "have to have the original baggage receipt" part of their lost baggage release requirements?

You don't gently caress with a man's car and you don't gently caress with a man's bike.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 7, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe nm could call them up and scare them with lawyer speak? Getting a lawyer involved tends to work on moving people off their rear end.

Don't mean to put you on the spot nm, just an idea.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I left an angry message on their Facebook page. Probably won't help, but it's a start.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is what greyhound's tweet responses look like:
https://twitter.com/GHoundBusHelp/with_replies

Mostly asking for a DM with the confirmation number. Whoever has that, maybe go ahead and DM them with it preemptively.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
14 fed some show horses in exchange for a ride he is mobile right now. Depending on his situation tonight I may get him another hotel room. PM me if interested in helping and I will contact those who have already messaged me if this ends up happening.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

14 inch master posted:

en route to paxton with an open bud light in my lap in an 80s LTD blasting george thoroughgood

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

This thread is why the internet was invented.

:munch:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
leperflesh, I PMed you the bag confirmation/tracer #. I'm not on twitter (and can't even see what you linked) but can you pass that info along to them?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright I sent them messages with the info, plus a basic description of the issue, and a request for a solution other than "go to a bus station, fill out a form, wait indefinitely" for a person without transport, clothes, belongings, etc. stranded in nowhere, nebraska

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I've booked 14 in a time the Days Inn Paxton, NE for the evening

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is there supposed to be a greyhound bus station in Ogallala? Because on google maps I only see a bus stop at a Fat Dogs convenience store.
100 Prospector Dr, Ogallala, NE 69153
They're calling it a "bus station" http://locations.greyhound.com/bus-stations/us/nebraska/ogallala/bus-station-580382 so maybe the convenience store is also a place that you can receive a lost bag?

Also unless 14" paid extra for baggage insurance, the maximum Greyhound will compensate is $250.
https://www.greyhound.com/en/help-and-info/travel-dilemmas/lost-baggage-info
If it was "oversize, overweight, or excess baggage" the maximum is $100.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
14 is in the room safe for the night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm not really that kind of lawyer, but I've been trying to find greyhound's contract of carriage. I've found what looks like a summary.
It appears that greyhound generally limits liability to $250. This may or may not be enforceable, but no one is hiring lawyers over $1000 or so, so we might as well treat it like it is. Which leaves us SOL.

They say, specifically "Baggage claims must be supported by claim check, identification, ticket receipt and excess value declaration (if any). Claim check must be surrendered in order to obtain baggage."

My view is that it is best tried in the court of public opinion. Any pressure from a lawyer is just going to result in them defaulting to paying $250. Looks like dave is already heading to the greyhound station. My rec is to sweet talk the person there in person. Phone is impersonal. Dave, this is really important: Do not lose you poo poo with them, even if they are useless. These people deal with lovely people on the regular, the nice person is the one they will help, particularly in the midwest. Explain your situation, show ID, ticket, number, etc and everything you have to convince them you're the right dude. The people at a small midwestern station are likely to be helpful than some large urban station over the phone.

In useful news: If they lose the panniers and the ride is still happening, either PM me here or via facebook, and I still have a pair of panniers somewhere I can loan.

edit: Might be worth checking warmshowers for help. Warmshowers is incredible.
This person is in Ogallala and might be willing to help you with your poo poo situation.
https://www.warmshowers.org/user/100976

There's also some people in North Platte. Touring cyclist are good loving people.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 7, 2017

• Locked thread