Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Bran I want you to warg real loud into my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sounds about right.

Btw in the books there is a warg who thinks about the time he warged into a wolf loving. Varamyr Sixskins.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I YouTubed and googled some backstory the lore is pretty fun. We'll have a lifetime of side story HBO series for sure.

The Targaryen family tree is pretty nuts. I didn't know all this and I hope I understood it right:

Targaryens were one of four (?) dragonlord families in old Valyria. One of the dudes daughter's, Daenys the dreamer, had a nightmare of the demise of Valyria.

Dude said gently caress it and moved him and his family to Dragonstone, then 12 years later the calamity happened.

Also they liked incest because it allowed them to keep their blood pure, so they could control dragons. Which of course contributed to the "madness"

I like the idea theory that Bran's talking to them in their head made them nuts

So there was a reason for it beyond 'I like blondes I guess'? And the reason was 'Controlling sentient WMD's with your mind'?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Outrail posted:

So there was a reason for it beyond 'I like blondes I guess'? And the reason was 'Controlling sentient WMD's with your mind'?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I've never opened s GOT book so I'm curious exactly what is mentioned about the backstory.

or are y'all just putting it together from quotes in the books? Both?

I just wanna know more about all that poo poo. Jon the Builder, first men, the calamity

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just start watching Preston Jacobs youtube channel.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's missing Galactic Brain: "Westeros is a planet in the Warhammer40k universe, in the grim dark future, there is only war."

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I've never opened s GOT book so I'm curious exactly what is mentioned about the backstory.

or are y'all just putting it together from quotes in the books? Both?

I just wanna know more about all that poo poo. Jon the Builder, first men, the calamity

It's mentioned in the books, and there's also an illustrated encyclopedia called The World of Ice and Fire that expands it. GRRM can be pervy, lazy, and unfocused but he's a hell of a worldbuilder. Anything past a certain point in their history is mixed with mythology and legend. You know how in the bible they use smaller numbers to signify a really big numbers? Same thing but backwards. The historians in Westeros sometimes say things happened a thousand centuries ago, when it was probably, like, 1,500 years.

It started out with the children of the forest, the giants, and the first men in Westeros. Magic existed back in those days and the first men had Greenseers who could possess animals and other people sometimes. The first men mostly lived in the north and fought a bunch with the children but they eventually declared a truce where men got to live in the open and the children had to live in the forest. Then the Andals immigrated to Westeros from Essos and mixed with the first men that lived in the South. They brought the worship of the Seven with them and didn't give a gently caress about tree-midgets. The children eventually got pushed way far to the north. At one point the Long Night happened, which was a winter that lasted for a really long time and everybody almost died. There were White Walkers, the dead, and giant spiders and such. Everybody in Essos has a legend about how it ended called Azor Ahai and there's a prophecy that he'll come back when the Long Night happens again.

Bran the Builder built the Wall with the help of the children to keep the dead from heading south again. The Night's Watch starts up around this point. Eventually the dead, the children, the giants, and all that turns into legends. Meanwhile in Essos, the Valyrians make this huge empire and use their inexplicable ability to control dragons to be the kings of all the poo poo. They use magic that eventually fades away from the world to create enormous wonders and build an amazing empire. Dorne is basically made up of former refugees fleeing Valyria's dominion. Eventually though (possibly because of some conspiratorial fuckery going on) a series of volcanoes goes off destroying Valyria. Pompeii times ten. The only surviving dragons and Valyrians are a freshly exiled house called the Targaryens who live on Dragonstone in Westeros.

Aegon Targaryen decides he is now the king of all poo poo and uses his dragons to conquer everybody in Westeros to make his own new empire with hookers and coke. King's Landing is where he first landed with his dragons and two incest sisters. The Targaryens are really into incest so they can keep the bloodline pure/keep Valyria alive which is eventually turns them into unstable hillbillies with political power and nukes. There's eventually a succession problem with the Targaryens involving crowning a woman, legitimized bastards, and foreign invasions backed by outcast nobles. Eventually Aerys exists and has Rhaegar. Rhaegar falls in love with Lyanna Stark and divorces his wife. Robert had a spergy crush on her and shouts RAPE and an already insane king Aerys starts killing noblemen, which turns half the kingdoms against him.

edit: TLDR there's a ton of lore channels on Youtube that do mini-documentaries on this stuff. However much backstory you think there is, there's more.

vermin fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 7, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ruddiger posted:

It's missing Galactic Brain: "Westeros is a planet in the Warhammer40k universe, in the grim dark future, there is only war."

There's an excessively large 40k/GOT crossover fanfic which is better than season 6-7 writing

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

vermin posted:

It's mentioned in the books, and there's also an illustrated encyclopedia called The World of Ice and Fire that expands it. GRRM can be pervy, lazy, and unfocused but he's a hell of a worldbuilder. Anything past a certain point in their history is mixed with mythology and legend. You know how in the bible they use smaller numbers to signify a really big numbers? Same thing but backwards. The historians in Westeros sometimes say things happened a thousand centuries ago, when it was probably, like, 1,500 years.

It started out with the children of the forest, the giants, and the first men in Westeros. Magic existed back in those days and the first men had Greenseers who could possess animals and other people sometimes. The first men mostly lived in the north and fought a bunch with the children but they eventually declared a truce where men got to live in the open and the children had to live in the forest. Then the Andals immigrated to Westeros from Essos and mixed with the first men that lived in the South. They brought the worship of the Seven with them and didn't give a gently caress about tree-midgets. The children eventually got pushed way far to the north. At one point the Long Night happened, which was a winter that lasted for a really long time and everybody almost died. There were White Walkers, the dead, and giant spiders and such. Everybody in Essos has a legend about how it ended called Azor Ahai and there's a prophecy that he'll come back when the Long Night happens again.

Bran the Builder built the Wall with the help of the children to keep the dead from heading south again. The Night's Watch starts up around this point. Eventually the dead, the children, the giants, and all that turns into legends. Meanwhile in Essos, the Valyrians make this huge empire and use their inexplicable ability to control dragons to be the kings of all the poo poo. They use magic that eventually fades away from the world to create enormous wonders and build an amazing empire. Dorne is basically made up of former refugees fleeing Valyria's dominion. Eventually though (possibly because of some conspiratorial fuckery going on) a series of volcanoes goes off destroying Valyria. Pompeii times ten. The only surviving dragons and Valyrians are a freshly exiled house called the Targaryens who live on Dragonstone in Westeros.

Aegon Targaryen decides he is now the king of all poo poo and uses his dragons to conquer everybody in Westeros to make his own new empire with hookers and coke. King's Landing is where he first landed with his dragons and two incest sisters. The Targaryens are really into incest so they can keep the bloodline pure/keep Valyria alive which is eventually turns them into unstable hillbillies with political power and nukes. There's eventually a succession problem with the Targaryens involving crowning a woman, legitimized bastards, and foreign invasions backed by outcast nobles. Eventually Aerys exists and has Rhaegar. Rhaegar falls in love with Lyanna Stark and divorces his wife. Robert had a spergy crush on her and shouts RAPE and an already insane king Aerys starts killing noblemen, which turns half the kingdoms against him.

edit: TLDR there's a ton of lore channels on Youtube that do mini-documentaries on this stuff. However much backstory you think there is, there's more.

suck a dick bro.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

lol i just did a huge fart that sounded like a monster trying to climb out of a swamp

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Hell Yeah posted:

lol i just did a huge fart that sounded like a monster trying to climb out of a swamp

This is my swamp! :iamafag:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Grrm is a hell of a burger builder

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

Grrm is a hell of a burger builder

It's true

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

my theory? White walkers are really incest-y children of the forest

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Like it fits perfectly

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I'm looking forward to THE HOUND, JAIME, JORAH, AND JOHN SNOW DYING from some bullshit in the dragon pits

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Is there an origin to the white walker guys or a reason why they're such huge assholes?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

i am NOT going to read a gameofthrones.wikia page

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ROFLburger posted:

Is there an origin to the white walker guys or a reason why they're such huge assholes?

yea there was an ep in season 6 i think that explained it

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

ROFLburger posted:

the little children of the forest made the white walkers (the little smurf girl that blew herself up a few eps ago)

they made them to protect the forest babies from men folk

but as events unfolded it begged the question:

even lovely men > snow zombies??

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Supreme Allah posted:

the little children of the forest made the white walkers (the little smurf girl that blew herself up a few eps ago)

they made them to protect the forest babies from men folk

but as events unfolded it begged the question:

even lovely men > snow zombies??

They created a race that they wanted to tame and would sit around doing their work without complaining and they rebelled and ruined everything for their masters.

Basically white walkers are a nation of ex slaves and the real under dog heroes of the story.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
There is one theory that the walkers are on the warpath because the first long night ended in a truce and the terms got violated. Basically up in the frozen tundra is skeleton land so stay out. The wall was meant to keep people from bothering the skeletons. But thousands of years later enough people fled up to what amounts to bum gently caress Canada that the skeletons are pissed off. This would give the walkers a motivation for coming south.

Though it looks like all the lore hinting at this was chucked on the TV show in favor of Walking Dead Alaska edition. It looks like we won't even get any cool giant ice spiders.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
What if the White Walkers actually built the wall and made the humans pay for it?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope the series ends with some dude closing a book in a totally modern bedroom with some stupid looking kids sitting around slack-jawed, this will probably be samwise or whatever that fat fucks name is, and then he will shift to his side and let out a massive fart, look directly into the camera, pick his nose, flick a booger that sticks to the screen and say "the end."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

myDad posted:

What if the White Walkers actually built the wall and made the humans pay for it?

That's racsist.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

White Walkers are the first men. The Maesters just had no idea they were this terrifying.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
there were 20 dragonlord families in valyria and the targaryens were a fairly minor one. theres noble houses in westeros pledged to dragonstone that also trace their lineage to valyria although they didnt get their incest on as hard as the targs so their blood isnt as pure and i dont think they can control dragons or whatever

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im the sksleton that has gendrys hammer now

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

update: i dropepd it on ice and now im on the floor of the ocean. long story short im gonna be late

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
this is like the first time the skeleton army has been near the wall in like 1000 years man, you hosed up........its just not a good look for your career

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Skeleton land?

The white walkers are clearly different from the skellymen

The skellymen are slaves. They're used as weapons by the white walkers. The white walkers are necromancers who wield a bunch of magic poo poo but there seems to only be a few of them and they need human babies to procreate

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I hope a giant steps on some more people.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Would YOU gently caress a giant?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Zzulu posted:

Would YOU gently caress a giant?

If Brienne counts, then definitely.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail posted:

They created a race that they wanted to tame and would sit around doing their work without complaining and they rebelled and ruined everything for their masters.

Basically white walkers are a nation of ex slaves and the real under dog heroes of the story.

leaked white walker theme for the last season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaoLy7PHwk

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

the great deceiver posted:

there were 20 dragonlord families in valyria and the targaryens were a fairly minor one. theres noble houses in westeros pledged to dragonstone that also trace their lineage to valyria although they didnt get their incest on as hard as the targs so their blood isnt as pure and i dont think they can control dragons or whatever

original Bratheon also came from valyria but they decided not to inbreed so now its pretty much irrelevant

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

ROFLburger posted:

i am NOT going to read a gameofthrones.wikia page

I want to know the backstory of this nerd story but im like hardly interested in it bro, don't link me to a wikia site like some nerd. only nerds know about wikia and not being a nerd I... hmm

its cool to pretend to be less interested than i am but still need to know this backstory bro

nerd

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

wait so the white walkers are mexican?

makes sense now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

hi, I'm Jaime Lannister, and on hot dorne nights nothing is as cool and refreshing as a Night King tm frozen margarita