Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
This happens every ten pages where people with Arivia on ignore bear bait her into posting and then act above the drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay guys, hear me out ...

a Trad Games Twitter Group DM

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

dwarf74 posted:

IIRC it was eating loose beef, like an animal

(I don't know what 'loose beef' means or why eating it could be bad, though, so, uh....)
loose beef = ground beef. He basically made sloppy joes and arivia threw a fit.

no, that's doesn't make a drat bit of sense.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The solution is obviously some sort of usenet group.

I propose alt.forums.games.rpgs.drama.moderated

Serf
May 5, 2011

The source of all this is a sex number joke that has no connection to what the discussion has become.

Why?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Serf posted:

The source of all this is a sex number joke that has no connection to what the discussion has become.

Why?

this isn't about my drama? well, my new posts presupposes that it is. But isn't this dumb? See how aloof I am? I don't actually care, I just post about it constantly as a joke that nobody but me laughs at.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

loose beef = ground beef. He basically made sloppy joes and arivia threw a fit.

no, that's doesn't make a drat bit of sense.

Sloppy joes would imply a recipe, or spices, or anything. No, he was actually eating just straight ground beef on a plate. And I didn't throw a fit; I was telling him to actually make a meal out of it and treat himself better than that.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It really is ridiculous that we have two different discords because of all this.

It's ridiculous, sure. But it's not really about that - Fuego has done a terrible job of moderating the semi-default trad games IRC, and that's why I don't recommend people go to his place. He repeatedly unbanned people who were being intentionally sexist/racist/transphobic to other people in the IRC channel, and tried to shut down conversations about oppression and privilege because he didn't like them as a cis white dude. He's just not a good moderator for social spaces, period.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

this isn't about my drama? well, my new posts presupposes that it is. But isn't this dumb? See how aloof I am? I don't actually care, I just post about it constantly as a joke that nobody but me laughs at.

A poster with 4 posts in this thread made a bizarre comment with no relation to the original joke and now here we are.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

Why?

https://twitter.com/edballs/status/593072495395282944

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just imagine, right now we could instead be arguing the merits of Discord dicebots. At least that would be a new avenue of discussion.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Serf posted:

Just imagine, right now we could instead be arguing the merits of Discord dicebots. At least that would be a new avenue of discussion.

I haven't used a dicebot that hasn't made everyone in the channel forget how to roll dice every time we need to roll dice

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

I ran it this weekend for my girlfriend, her 7-yo, and my 9-yo.

My advice is to read the guide throughly because the organization is utter poo poo and there's no index. (I'm still not totally sure I understand how Fun regenerates).

It was fun!
Since the default seems to be that you're not keeping characters between sessions, I don't think you need to worry about Fun regenerating. Advancement and whatnot are optional rules.

The adventure book has the players getting a point of Fun at the end of each adventure, so I think that's probably how it regenerates. Like I said, before, I'm struggling to see how anyone could spend more than 1 Fun for a normal 30-60 minute session, though. :) Maybe that's because I ran it with 4 players, though.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Serf posted:

I'd apologise for starting this but I just wanted to (and still want to) know if there are any better Discord dicebots than RPBot!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Here's a bunch of NTYE fixes I wrote elsewhere:

LEVELS: If you are playing at Square level, give every character one extra point in the Trait that their Knack refers to.
Reason: Not having adjectives makes it easier to make characters, but it also makes the characters weaker because they lose out on the extra Trait point the adjective would have given them. This is a simple way around that.

ASTRONAUT: Change his knack to "For 1 Smart, you can take out a small rocket and fire it into space. It sends back a picture of where you are from orbit. You can use this to find out where you are, find missing things or people, or just make cool pictures."
Reason: The Astronaut power in the book is very vague and duplicates that of the Kid, and doesn't feel very spacey.

CREATURE: Add to the knack: "If you prefer, you can distract the bad guy by being cute and adorable."
Reason: The sidebar on the page says you could play a Bunny. Being intimidated by a bunny rabbit might be a bit silly. (But if you like silly, go for it. Make sure your kids are too young to have seen Holy Grail.)

FIGHTER: If you're playing at Circle level, change the knack to "A knockout means the bad guy doesn't get any turns until one of the other bad guys is conked out. If there's only one bad guy left, you can't use it."
Reason: The knockout power duplicates a whole bunch of the verb phrases that will be in play at Circle level.

PRINCESS: Change the knack to: "Whenever anyone else Is Awesome to you, they can get back one point of Tough, Fast, or Smart that they've spent. They can't get more than they originally had, and they can't get back Awesome."
Reason: Charm is OK but it's based on Smart which is not a good trait for the class. Also, Princesses really ought to be in charge, and this encourages them to be.

ROBOT: Change the knack to "For 1 smart, you can say "beep-bloop" and learn a creature's Quirk, or one other fact you didn't know before about a creature or situation you're in."
Reason: The ability in the book could basically shut down a puzzle completely. Plus, the book offers very few ways for the players to find out Quirks, so this fits nicely here.

EATS ICE CREAM / LOVES PIZZA: You can choose to EITHER do 1 damage to the enemy, or make it lose its next turn.
Reason: It's way too powerful - a single bad guy can be frozen and damaged over and over again.

LOVES OOEY GOOEY THINGS: If you prefer, you can throw the goo at the ground near somebody and any bad guy that attacks them will slip on it or get stuck. The effect is still the same, you get extra armor.
Reason: Just because YOU love ooey-gooey things doesn't mean all your friends want to be covered in slime too.

CYPHERS: When you give a companion a treat, draw 2 Cyphers from the cypher deck. If any of them don't make sense for that companion, draw new ones. Then give the player the two cards and let them choose which one they want.
Reason: Some combinations of cypher and companion just don't make a lot of sense, and some might not fit with what the player wants to do.

BEST PRINCESS DRESS EVER: When you're wearing this, once per adventure when someone Is Awesome to you, you can count the point double (subtracting two from your roll).
Reason: It just seemed wrong that this costs 3 coins and doesn't have any system benefit.

MUTTROPOLIS: There are no humans in the city except visitors. Dogs don't keep them as pets.
Reason: This just has way too many ways it could go to uncomfortable places, like the players trying to rescue the humans, or buying a pet human themselves.

THE MINI MALL: You can rescue people from the Mini Mall. You have to find a favorite toy of theirs that's still big - ideally one that used to be theirs, but you could buy a new one from somewhere outside the mall that's still big - and get a I Gotcher Back Pack for them. Give them both to someone inside the mini mall and they can use them to get out in the same way you can.
Reason: Honestly, when I read this it felt like something out of Twilight Zone. I know children probably won't think that way, but having people trapped forever here just seems really dark.

BONE FACTORY: Foreman Salivator is Foremen Salivatia and she's _still_ a ballerina as well as the foreman.
Reason: If you don't get awesome images of cobweb tutus, pirouettes off moving pistons and spins down screw-threads from the idea of a scary factory run by a dark ballerina, then you need to watch more Tim Burton.

BOO LAGOON: I'd remove this completely.
Reason: It's really, really dark and the risk of players getting killed here is very high. If people eaten by Spurn don't die, then where did all the ghosts come from?

DEAD CENTER: You don't need to carry a shovel to get there.
Reason: Carrying a shovel into a graveyard isn't something good guys typically do.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

I haven't used a dicebot that hasn't made everyone in the channel forget how to roll dice every time we need to roll dice

I use one called Sidekick in my Shadow of the Demon Lord Discord and it works pretty well for character creation. It has some quirks and you can easily forget to use the proper notation and lose your whole roll, though. Never used it for playing the actual game, so I'm not sure how well it would handle boons/banes, but Roll20's built-in dice roller handles it pretty well. Though the fan-made SotDL character sheet is whack.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Infinite Oregano posted:

I'd apologise for starting this but I just wanted to (and still want to) know if there are any better Discord dicebots than RPBot!

Use SIdekick

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

I use one called Sidekick in my Shadow of the Demon Lord Discord and it works pretty well for character creation. It has some quirks and you can easily forget to use the proper notation and lose your whole roll, though. Never used it for playing the actual game, so I'm not sure how well it would handle boons/banes, but Roll20's built-in dice roller handles it pretty well. Though the fan-made SotDL character sheet is whack.

We use Sidekick pretty well on mine, although it doesn't do all the odd dice shenanigans you want for every RPG. Here's a link to the Discord I run, while we're at it: https://discord.gg/pqAqRTx

Serf
May 5, 2011

Infinite Oregano posted:

You didn't start this. Your question was totally valid. It was the follow-up comment talking about Discord infighting that started it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

This is great, thank you!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

hyphz posted:

If we get more rules-y in the future, I'll keep these in mind. :)

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
So, anyone here like Marvel Heroic roleplaying? It's my favorite superhero game ever. It's light, flexible, and fun. I've been thinking of doing some custom datafiles for it too, but have been for some good templates to speed up the process.

For example,

Jean Grey [Public]

Affiliations:
Solo d6
Buddy d8
Team d10

Distinctions:
Not The Jean Grey You Know
From Another Time
Haunted By The Ghost Of Jean Grey

Powersets:
Omega-Level Pyschic
Enhanced Durability d8
Invisibility d6
Psychic Blast d10
Psychic Resistance d8
Subsonic Flight d8
Telekinetic Mastery d10
Telepathy d10
SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
SFX: Powerful Psychic. Step back the highest die in your attack action pool to add a d6 and step up mental stress inflicted.
SFX: Psychic Leech. On a successful reaction against a psychic action, convert your opponent’s effect die into an Omega-Level Psychic stunt or step up an Omega- Level Psychic power until used in an action. If your opponent’s action succeeds, spend 1 pp to use this SFX.
SFX: Telekentic Weapon: When making a physical attack action using Telekinetic Control, step back the highest die in the pool to add a d6 and step up your effect die.
SFX: Versatile. Replace Psychic Blast, Telepathy or Telekinetic Mastery die with 2d8 or 3d6 on your next roll.
Limit: Conscious Activation. While stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown Omega-level Psychic. Recover Omega-Level Psychic when you recover that stress or wake up. If you take mental trauma, shutdown Omega-Level Psychic until you recover that trauma.
Limit: Mutant. When affected by mutant-specific complications or tech, earn 1 pp.

Specialties:
Combat Expert d8
Psych Expert d8

Milestones:
Hunted By The Phoeniex
1 XP when you discuss your fear of the phoenix force
3 XP when you discuss how to defeat the phoenix force or how best to run from it
10 XP when you either relent and allow the phoenix force to take you or find a way to ward it off for good

Trapped In A Dark Future
1 XP when you discuss how unfamiliar you are with the modern day and how different and worse things have become
3 XP when you try to make up for a mistake of your future selves or try to escape from an event that could make you like your future selves
10 XP when you either accept the mistakes your future selves made and accept them as your future or find a way to fix a critical one and succeed where your future selves failed

Zoro fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 6, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm too depressed and I just want to talk about games! Enough

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Plutonis posted:

I'm too depressed and I just want to talk about games! Enough

I too want to talk about games!

Today, I started some design work on my The Sprawl convention game inspired by Snatcher, and I had One Night in Neo Kobe City playing in the background. I think I'm going to bring my laptop to the event and just have either the Snatcher OST or the VA-11-Hall-A OST on in the background.

Or maybe I'll have both! :iia:

Anyways, about the adventure -

Basic plot beats:
- The players are a team hired to extract an executive from one of the corporations. In this case, SegaKonamiBandai Holdings, GmbH. They'll meet at Plato's Cavern, where the mask requirement will prevent everyone from being able to successfully ID each other.

- The executive they're hired to extract won't be anyone special, or if I'm feeling saucy it will be Hideo Kojima II.

- The players are really just grabbing a person to be snatched. I can play this one of two ways - the job is actually on the up-and-up with the employer being from a rival corporation. The Snatchers are planning to ambush the hand-over meeting, replacing the executive with a Snatcher and returning them to the home corp. Now they've got an executive on the inside!

- The other way the job could turn out is that the employer is actually a Snatcher in the rival corporation, and instead of risking Snatchers/discovery by the Junkers they're using the players as deniable assets with little to no trail leading to them if the mission turns out to be a failure. The hand-over will be peaceful unless they really pissed off SKB Holdings or they notice something off (they'll get a chance to do so in order to present the opportunity for action) and want to act on it.

- Overall, Snatchers are operating in the background of the mission - not sure how that will shake out, but they'll be considered a Threat.

- One of the players will be a rogue Snatcher :ssh: This doesn't actually mean they're working with the Snatchers. Because they're rogue, this means that they're +Hunted by both Snatchers and Junkers and are actually working to counter Snatchers' interests. This could help the hand-over, in which no one is wearing masks, go sideways if the employer is a Snatcher because they'll recognize him as rogue right off the bat.

- Junkers will also operate in the background of the mission. Again, not sure how exactly it could shake out, but they're also a Threat.

- One of the players will be an ex-Junker, so they might be able to raise the Junker Threat clock by using their contacts there in such a fashion that would involve them. Contemplating also giving them +Hunted for Snatchers, but maybe +Owned by Junkers as well. If they want to pursue Snatchers on the side, I'll give them a chance to ID them provided he has the right gear (needless to say, the presence of this gear might be enough to draw Snatchers' attention)

- The background event that led people to be suspicious of bioroids (which will be the general term for Snatchers) is the Hatsune Miku Crisis of 2038. I also mention that SKB Holdings pushed the development of bioroids to be able to staff amusement parks/entertainment venues with life-like models of anime characters. Make what you will of those two events together.

- All that should be enough, with some additional background information, for players to run with it and for me to adapt on the fly. I'm not trying to parrot the Snatcher universe and timeline as a whole, but I did want to use it as inspiration for generating the adventure.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 6, 2017

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

TG Chat!

Over the weekend instead of going to the MN State Fair and eating myself to death, some friends and I went to a local game store that has a huge library of games to try out. We played Ashes: Rise of the Pheonixborn, which is one of those self-contained LCG-type games. It's pretty great, though could be a bit fiddly for people who've never played MTG or Hearthstone or anything like that. None of our players were new to the genre though so we picked it up fast.

Then we played Once Upon a Time and it was also great.

I wanted to try out Mistborn, Mage Knight, Runebound, and Gloomhaven, but we didn't have time that afternoon to do any of those. My playgroup could use another Big Ol Co-op Game ever since we finished Descent's campaign.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mage Knight and Gloomhaven are definitely the two stronger games of that lot, I recommend both of them. Don't play Mage Knight with more than 3 people though, ESPECIALLY if people are still learning (but even later don't do it)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also if you want a co-op campaign look at either Pandemic Legacy or Space Alert (the expansion adds a campaign mode but it's good either way). Both are the cream of the crop when it comes to co-op games, I'd really only say Gloomhaven comes close right now.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Also if you want a co-op campaign look at either Pandemic Legacy or Space Alert (the expansion adds a campaign mode but it's good either way). Both are the cream of the crop when it comes to co-op games, I'd really only say Gloomhaven comes close right now.

Thing is, our group kinda burned out on Pandemic a couple years ago. I know about Legacy but I've never been confident that it would make enough of a difference to take the staleness off of the game. We lov it, but we all played it so goddamn much.

We haven't played Space Alert at all, but I'll look into the campaign. We've all been interested in the concept but we never got to actually doing it.

Countblanc posted:

Mage Knight and Gloomhaven are definitely the two stronger games of that lot, I recommend both of them. Don't play Mage Knight with more than 3 people though, ESPECIALLY if people are still learning (but even later don't do it)

I've wanted to play Mage Knight for years, but I can't get anyone to commit to it. I'll get them to play it, someday, somehow. Gloomhaven just looks amazing in general, I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Where are the links to the Discord(s)?

hyphz fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 6, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
For what it's worth, I actively dislike Pandemic after playing it a bunch when it came out (its roots as the first real co-op are really obvious with how it doesn't even attempt to mitigate quarterbacking and a few other issues), but found Pandemic Legacy utterly charming and captivating. The Legacy formula adds a lot to the game both mechanically and in that serialized TV "ok, but what happens next?! Put on another episode holy poo poo it's 3 am" sort of way. Maybe ask your friends if they'd all toss in $15 or something - the game pretends that it offers a unique experience once you've finished the campaign which isn't TECHNICALLY wrong but I can't imagine playing it past that so you aren't going to keep it around probably - it's no more than a night at the movies for each person that way.

As for Gloomhaven's price, I get what you're saying, but in terms of the sheer amount of content in the box it's honestly a real steal. I wish there was an option that contained the stuff for like, 20-30 sessions instead of 90+ sessions and cost half the price, but I get that it'd be pretty messy since those components get reused and remixed a lot.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

hyphz posted:

Mark

https://discord.gg/tnCf9v

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

hyphz posted:

My dude, read the thread.

(I'm assuming there are also links to the other discords.)

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Zoro posted:

So, anyone here like Marvel Heroic roleplaying? ...

I loved MHRP when it was out. It was too good for this world.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Countblanc posted:

For what it's worth, I actively dislike Pandemic after playing it a bunch when it came out (its roots as the first real co-op are really obvious with how it doesn't even attempt to mitigate quarterbacking and a few other issues), but found Pandemic Legacy utterly charming and captivating. The Legacy formula adds a lot to the game both mechanically and in that serialized TV "ok, but what happens next?! Put on another episode holy poo poo it's 3 am" sort of way. Maybe ask your friends if they'd all toss in $15 or something - the game pretends that it offers a unique experience once you've finished the campaign which isn't TECHNICALLY wrong but I can't imagine playing it past that so you aren't going to keep it around probably - it's no more than a night at the movies for each person that way.

As for Gloomhaven's price, I get what you're saying, but in terms of the sheer amount of content in the box it's honestly a real steal. I wish there was an option that contained the stuff for like, 20-30 sessions instead of 90+ sessions and cost half the price, but I get that it'd be pretty messy since those components get reused and remixed a lot.

Hm. I'll check out Pandemic Legacy more seriously then.

Oh, also, Scythe, but that's not a co-op game, it just looks great.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

hyphz posted:

Boardgaming thread OP has a link to the boardgaming Discord.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Hm. I'll check out Pandemic Legacy more seriously then.

Oh, also, Scythe, but that's not a co-op game, it just looks great.
It's not campaigny but I'm enjoying legendary encounters at the moment. It's co-op Dominion where you fight through the Alien and Predator movies.

Glad to hear of once upon a time in the wild. Mrs. Splicer and I love that game.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Zoro posted:

So, anyone here like Marvel Heroic roleplaying?

I enjoyed it to a point back when it was still being actively published. My issues were twofold:

1. The dice rolling mechanics are opaque enough that anyone lacking game savvy is basically going to just end up guessing whether they should combine or break down dice.
2. My playgroup hated the idea that character progression basically doesn't happen.

Number two was the dealbreaker, in the end. But I ran a campaign with it for over a year before we got to that point.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Falstaff posted:

I enjoyed it to a point back when it was still being actively published. My issues were twofold:

1. The dice rolling mechanics are opaque enough that anyone lacking game savvy is basically going to just end up guessing whether they should combine or break down dice.
2. My playgroup hated the idea that character progression basically doesn't happen.

Number two was the dealbreaker, in the end. But I ran a campaign with it for over a year before we got to that point.

Yeah, from experience, number two requires a specific playgroup. I've only been to run it once where a group was 100% down with the idea of "just play your favorite Marvel character, we don't advance, but we can swap things around laterally." All my other groups break that one way or another because they prefer traditional games. Bit of a disappointment, really. I really like the disposal nature of it when played as intended. One of the most annoying things as a GM is planning things months in advance and having them never happen. Planning things in a full story arc meant to finish in 3-6 week chunks is a lot more doable and a lot more likely to succeed and be satisfying.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This sounds like a cool campaign but I'm depressed because that franchise won't be revisited ever again (maybe for the best because of modern Konami?)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Plutonis posted:

This sounds like a cool campaign but I'm depressed because that franchise won't be revisited ever again (maybe for the best because of modern Konami?)

I anticipate all of zero players getting the references, but that means that I can continue to crib from it with abandon.

I'd like to run players through a campaign someday based on it, but since this is a one-shot for a convention-style game I get to define much more of the setting and the corporations. Since The Sprawl is an Apoc Engine game, players typically get a little more say if you're running a longer-form campaign.

Now if only the organizer would confirm that I am OK to submit it and run it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
To put an end to people bringing up drama and pretending they don't care about it every time Discord is mentioned I, Dear Leader, am starting the Official Trad Games Discord.

* there are now five Discords *

• Locked thread