Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

esperterra posted:

but to say he had no interest in her in the original series is silly.
It wasn't any romantic interest at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

It wasn't any romantic interest at any rate.

Cooper checks her out pretty hard in S1 and turns her down on the grounds it would be wrong to sleep with her, not that he doesn't want to. He was definitely into her early on in the show.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

multijoe posted:

Also on the subject of Judy, I don't think it and 'Mother' are the same being and Sarah Palmer is possessed by the latter and not the former. BOB and Bad Coop have no idea what Judy is whereas BOB is spawned by Mother and later possessed a young Sarah Palmer with the assistance of the Woodsmen, indicating they're all members of the Black Lodge and on some level aware of each other. Additionally, when Laura is whisked away from Cooper Sarah is still driven wild with rage at Cooper saving her and doesn't seem to be aware or complicit of her being sent to Odessa, where she ends up working at ... Judy's. I think Mother is essentially just the source of the terrible but faintly comprehensible aliens of the Black Lodge whereas Judy is a far more abstract and hard to define concept of suffering, Mother appears as an human-esque avatar and slices up teenagers heads, Judy makes Laura work in a miserable diner and get sexually harassed.

Yeah this makes sense. Also means mother was the one who rang mr c and told him he was going back in tomorrow and then she'll be with bob again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

multijoe posted:

Cooper checks her out pretty hard in S1 and turns her down on the grounds it would be wrong to sleep with her, not that he doesn't want to. He was definitely into her early on in the show.
That scene in his hotel room read entirely like him just trying to let her down gently to me. :/

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Modrasone posted:

I kind of wanted that out of this season. Ouroboros stuff. Instead I got a snake eating my balls in those last few moments and then chewing, really deeply chewing. Gulping occasionally. Masticating. Strangely, in the entire time this snake has been enjoying my balls I've not once thought about my balls or what I'm going to do with them in the future. Is it future or is it past? As far as my balls are concerned that's not even a question as holy poo poo that snake owns them now with that scream and that line and the power going out and all of that poo poo. My balls are in the Black Lodge and I'm guess I just have to accept that and move on.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So was Laura taken from Cooper in 1989 and put into the alternate timeline by Judy (so Cooper couldn't get to her and save her there, leaving her to her fate) or by the White Lodge, who put her there to protect her? The latter makes more sense to me, but then Judy was trying to trick Cooper into thinking he was wrong?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Raxivace posted:

That scene in his hotel room read entirely like him just trying to let her down gently to me. :/

He basically tells her he wants to be with her, but what he needs and she needs is different than those wants. She's vulnerable and it would be a bad idea. She needs a friend more in that moment.

S1 was building them up hard.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

esperterra posted:

He basically tells her he wants to be with her, but what he needs and she needs is different than those wants. She's vulnerable and it would be a bad idea. She needs a friend more in that moment.

S1 was building them up hard.

Also she is still in high school. I have to imagine the FBI would frown upon agents going into town and banging the local high schoolers during investigations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

esperterra posted:

:monocle: So that's what happens to Audrey at the end of season 3. She finally realises that she's in the friend zone.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

pyrotek posted:

Also she is still in high school. I have to imagine the FBI would frown upon agents going into town and banging the local high schoolers during investigations.

Yeah, whether she was 18 or not it was clear Coop wouldn't get involved until she was out of school or w/e. Season 2 was meant to pick that part of their storyline.

e: ^^ :aaa:

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

And More posted:

:monocle: So that's what happens to Audrey at the end of season 3. She finally realises that she's in the friend zone.

bill hastings was investigating the wrong zone

or... was it the RIGHT zone??? :tinfoil:

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Bill Hastings made the original ladder theory website

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vikar Jerome posted:

watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_VcgxDGRM

seems to imply cooper and dianes sex in the motel was all part of firemans plan. two birds, one stone.

is diane meant to get pregnant and the kid be...? sara..h.

i gotta start smoking poo poo.

this is some unsettling poo poo

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

And More posted:

Does Audrey even exist in the default world of season 3? I think her name was mentioned at some point by someone outside of her scenes, but I'm not sure.

Laura's and Audrey's screams seemed to be pretty much the same reaction to seeing a piece of an alternate timeline they are no longer a part of.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So audrey died in that bank vault right.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well she had to be in the coma long enough to get impregnated with and then give birth to Richard right

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Kurtofan posted:

So audrey died in that bank vault right.

that would make richard a ghost boy. which he is now i guess

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Good bye, son

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Escobarbarian posted:

Well she had to be in the coma long enough to get impregnated with and then give birth to Richard right

Unless his existence is magic rather than the way normal humans are made.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Underwhelmed posted:

Does Audrey even exist in the default world of season 3? I think her name was mentioned at some point by someone outside of her scenes, but I'm not sure.

Laura's and Audrey's screams seemed to be pretty much the same reaction to seeing a piece of an alternate timeline they are no longer a part of.

Doenst not seems to. Nobody even mention her name not even when the police is looking for Richard

edit: she did existed at some point, though. I would bet is as simple as it looks: she went mad after the come, was sent to an institution, nobody talks about her anymore. There, she dreams that crazy reality where she is married to the little man, but always looking for "Billy" (zane?)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 7, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doc Hayward mentions her

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

psychoJ posted:

that would make richard a ghost boy. which he is now i guess

He is more of a toast boy, if you ask me. :rimshot:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Doenst not seems to. Nobody even mention her name not even when the police is looking for Richard

Doctor Hayward did, right? He said the doppelganger went to see Audrey at the hospital right after he woke up.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

And More posted:

He is more of a toast boy, if you ask me. :rimshot:

Doctor Hayward did, right? He said the doppelganger went to see Audrey at the hospital right after he woke up.

Yeah, I edited it. She is mentioned (by the doctor and by Richard), so she did existed. But at the present she seems to be dead or far away and nobody talks about her existing in the present

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 7, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, I edited it. She is mentioned (by the doctor and by Richard), so she did existed. But at the present she seems to be dead or far away and nobody talks about her existing in the present

To be a bit more correct, she goes unacknowledged throughout S3 by the rest of the cast, beyond the two notable and important exceptions of Doc Hayward in the scene with Frank, and Richard Horne when he tells Bad Coop Audrey's his mother - in front of the drat convenience store, no less.

In neither of those conversations is any mentioned made of her death or present status. Draw on that what you will, but it excludes no possibilities except stupid crap about her never having existed now or something

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
To be specific, Richard says that his mom kept Cooper's picture around. So Audrey was around long enough to have Richard, have some kind of relationship with him (even if it's just him visiting her in the nuthouse or something), and own at least one possession when Richard was old enough to remember.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

To be specific, Richard says that his mom kept Cooper's picture around. So Audrey was around long enough to have Richard, have some kind of relationship with him (even if it's just him visiting her in the nuthouse or something), and own at least one possession when Richard was old enough to remember.

It was bad Cooper that she had Richard with though, wasn't it? Who is to say that Richard wasn't born outside of the Twin Peaks dimension or wherever it is that Audrey resides. I'm kind of feeling like Bang Bang is a meeting point or something for various dimensions. Audrey may have been killed at the bank, moved into a strange other place, but crosses over at the bar or vice versa.

I don't know if that's dumb. I don't know anything.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
....maybe it's time to stop keeping up with this thread

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

pyrotek posted:

it was the 90s

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Coop cites it as being part of the reason he won't hook up with her. :shrug:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Escobarbarian posted:

....maybe it's time to stop keeping up with this thread

You could probably squeeze like 2 or 3 podcast episodes out of all the crazy theories in this thread alone.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Rewatching S3 and noticed something: why does "Jeffries" say he wants to be back with Bob? That implies Mike is on the phone?

Also, i was thinking about the poem...

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see...
ONE chants out between two worlds
Fire, walk with me

Doesn't Margaret Lanterman tell us who is The One??

Hmm

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

There's a lot of times someone says "I can't say it out loud" or "I can't tell you over the phone", etc

Lanterman tells Hawk "I can't say it now but keep an eye on the one I told you about".

What do we think about it?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Little Mac posted:

Theory and analysis, long and meandering so feel free to skip:
:words:
tl;dr: Cooper created a new timeline, but everything that happened happened. The past, however, dictates the future and Cooper exists now separate from himself (two Coopers) in the "future" of Season 3. This is definitely left open for a Season 4, where Cooper/Laura must confront Judy.
This literally made me go from "The show ended when Coop and Diane drove through the portal" to "The show ended when episode 18 ended." Thank you, I appreciate this.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Looking back, does anyone know what was up with the first scene we see the Jackrabbit's Palace in, where Coop meets Naido for the first time? Not only is it the only time we see the lodge in color, but when Naido flips the switch it turns into a completely different room with a different woman inside (one of the models from Flesh World, I think), with Judy banging on the door. What is this place and how/why was Judy inside the Fireman's dimension?

I thought maybe that scene was supposed to take place in a future where Judy defeated the Fireman and took over his place (which would explain why Judy's Diner is located inside a city famous for jackrabbits), but we see Briggs' head floating around in this scene, presumably en route to hang out with the Fireman in episode 17.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Cooper had a plan for what him and Diane had to do when they went to that motel. Her asking him what she should do now, and the general lack of emotion, made it seem like this wasn't about passion. This was a mission that had to be completed. I immediately thought of Jack Parsons going out to the desert to summon the moonchild with sex magic. Could this be how Carrie Page is brought into the world? What year is it? It certainly seems like it's pretty far in the past judging by the car they drive.

e: yeah, this too:

Vikar Jerome posted:

watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_VcgxDGRM

seems to imply cooper and dianes sex in the motel was all part of firemans plan. two birds, one stone.

is diane meant to get pregnant and the kid be...? sara..h.

i gotta start smoking poo poo.

but more magic than actual childbirth. Or not- I think Richard and Linda could very well be the biological parents of Carrie Page, who grows up an orphan, or at least fatherless.

quadpus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 7, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

quadpus posted:

Cooper had a plan for what him and Diane had to do when they went to that motel. Her asking him what she should do now, and the general lack of emotion, made it seem like this wasn't about passion. This was a mission that had to be completed. I immediately thought of Jack Parsons going out to the desert to summon the moonchild with sex magic. Could this be how Carrie Page is brought into the world? What year is it? It certainly seems like it's pretty far in the past judging by the car they drive.

I still wonder if maybe he needed garmonbozia from Diane to fully pass into the Odessa illusion/dimension, it being a deeper aspect of the Black Lodge. Her reliving some form of trauma by having sex with Cooper and the memories of her night with Mr. C to fuel it. But I'm iffy on that.

Could just be they were both a little lost in the Richard/Linda personas, but Coop managed to snap out of it while Diane did not.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

HorseRenoir posted:

Looking back, does anyone know what was up with the first scene we see the Jackrabbit's Palace in, where Coop meets Naido for the first time? Not only is it the only time we see the lodge in color, but when Naido flips the switch it turns into a completely different room with a different woman inside (one of the models from Flesh World, I think), with Judy banging on the door. What is this place and how/why was Judy inside the Fireman's dimension?

I thought maybe that scene was supposed to take place in a future where Judy defeated the Fireman and took over his place (which would explain why Judy's Diner is located inside a city famous for jackrabbits), but we see Briggs' head floating around in this scene, presumably en route to hang out with the Fireman in episode 17.

Not sure how to interpret that part as a whole, but that different woman was played by the same actress as Ronette Pulaski: http://twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Ronette_Pulaski

IIRC someone pointed out there are numbers in each room, above the outlets, which correspond to the episode numbers when Cooper first replaces Dougie and when starts to come to his senses (and sticks a fork in the socket), respectively. Almost as if had he gone through the first outlet he would have woken up in episode 3 instead of being Dougie-Cooper until episode 15.

As for Judy being inside that dimension, maybe that's why the Fireman solemnly declares "It is in our house now".

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
^ I can't believe the 3/15 theory came true. It didn't really seem plausible before, because we thought Cooper was already here, he just needed to wake up. But no, what was really necessary was for him to retrieve his consciousness from the "15" outlet.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Those of you saying "Well you obviously don't get Lynch/Twin Peaks. :smug::smug::smug:" and/or "Twin Peaks obviously isn't for you. :smug::smug::smug:" to anyone who criticizes anything about this season are gigantic douchebags who need to learn that it's OK for people to have different opinions than you. It's especially insulting when you say it to people who are huge fans of the original series. gently caress you. Grow up.

Lynch is not some kind of god who creates perfect works that are above criticism. There are many, many things that he handled poorly with this season, the most glaring being the gigantic number of storylines that went absolutely nowhere and didn't have an ending. That's the big problem with the season. It didn't have a bad or disappointing ending; it had no ending, which is bad storytelling and makes the entire thing pointless and a waste of time to watch. If it's merely the end of a season then that criticism is invalid but if it's the end of the entire series (which is more likely), it's an insult to the viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

...! posted:

Those of you saying "Well you obviously don't get Lynch/Twin Peaks. :smug::smug::smug:" and/or "Twin Peaks obviously isn't for you. :smug::smug::smug:" to anyone who criticizes anything about this season are gigantic douchebags who need to learn that it's OK for people to have different opinions than you. It's especially insulting when you say it to people who are huge fans of the original series. gently caress you. Grow up.

Lynch is not some kind of god who creates perfect works that are above criticism. There are many, many things that he handled poorly with this season, the most glaring being the gigantic number of storylines that went absolutely nowhere and didn't have an ending. That's the big problem with the season. It didn't have a bad or disappointing ending; it had no ending, which is bad storytelling and makes the entire thing pointless and a waste of time to watch. If it's merely the end of a season then that criticism is invalid but if it's the end of the entire series (which is more likely), it's an insult to the viewer.

I didn't find any of these things insulting as a viewer or thread reader.