Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The CEO of AGL is dunking on Abbott and Canavan re:coal on twitter

What a time to be alive

https://twitter.com/tonyabbottmhr/status/904951352446423040

https://twitter.com/andyvesey_agl/status/904962056851341314

https://twitter.com/mattjcan/status/904972973542588416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Turnbull government is looking at ways to hold the same-sex marriage postal survey even if the High Court declares it has been unlawfully funded, an inquiry has heard.

The head of the Australian Bureau of Statistics, David Kalisch, said the ABS and Mathias Cormann's Finance Department had begun contingency planning last week.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anidav posted:

Power privatisation a failure as 'ruthless' companies rip off customers, Shorten says

Pls renationalise everything Shorten senpai

Isn't Turnbull talking about nationalising that one coal plant lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Hahaha his response is to loving yell at the guy running a business that can see the writing on the wall for coal energy. Amazing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Murdoch's and some dude who owns WIN (whatever the gently caress that is) are trying to stop the CBS takeover of channel 10

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Wasn't the high court decision due by now?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

norp posted:

Wasn't the high court decision due by now?

I thought they were coming back at 215 or something

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Where do I go to get the high court decision as it happens, I want to get the news IMMEDIATELY.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Cleretic posted:

Where do I go to get the high court decision as it happens, I want to get the news IMMEDIATELY.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-07/politics-live-september-7/8880598

ABC live posting it.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Anidav posted:

Power privatisation a failure as 'ruthless' companies rip off customers, Shorten says

Pls renationalise everything Shorten senpai

I'm so happy that QLD Greens actually pushed on their RENATIONALISE THE ENTIRE ENERGY INDUSTRY policy through. I look forward to forcing Queensland Labor to go full communism now.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The typo is the icing on the cake

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The typo is the icing on the cake

It's like they don't even care about private enterprise anymore. It's unclear to me what wet Libs even stand for these days.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ha ha ha a vote to take the GST off of power bills (hence, directly LOWERING POWER PRICES) has been voted down in the senate.

gently caress me.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Kafka Syrup posted:

It's like they don't even care about private enterprise anymore. It's unclear to me what wet Libs even stand for these days.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL

Seriously. They obviously get more donations from coal companies than energy companies.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Ha ha ha a vote to take the GST off of power bills (hence, directly LOWERING POWER PRICES) has been voted down in the senate.

gently caress me.

The entire crossbench supported it, and ALP and LNP ganged up to shoot it down. The mind boggles.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

tithin posted:

The Murdoch's and some dude who owns WIN (whatever the gently caress that is) are trying to stop the CBS takeover of channel 10

They only need to delay long enough for the media ownership legislation changes to be negotiated, then they can outbid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kafka Syrup posted:

The entire crossbench supported it, and ALP and LNP ganged up to shoot it down. The mind boggles.

It's revenue and won't make any long term difference.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

It's revenue and won't make any long term difference.

Considering both major parties are campaigning on lower energy prices and this is a lever they can pull right now who cares about the long term impact? To the average person on the street it just says that they actually don't want to lower prices.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They know they're going to have to make up the revenue some other way which will erode any good will resulting from taking the GST off electricity.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah hate to say it but that money's used to fund schools and hospitals so it's a lovely lever to pull in the first place.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

open24hours posted:

They know they're going to have to make up the revenue some other way which will erode any good will resulting from taking the GST off electricity.

If only there were any other sources of revenue they could increase that would result in less consumer-level impact..?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If only our political class weren't complete bastards.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's almost like Australians should stop voting for reptiles that don't care about them,

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

It's almost like Australians should stop voting for reptiles that don't care about them,

yes, but have you considered that I am deeply scared of brown and queer people and climate change will kill them off? (legit an argument I got from a constituent once)

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

High Court upheld the plebis- I mean survey

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

High Court upheld the plebis- I mean survey

Well, gently caress.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Where has the been reported?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
ABC iView crashed lmao

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

Where has the been reported?

SBS tweeted about it

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Yep, it's been upheld.

Well really big rally in brisbane on sunday guys

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Guardian live says that the Wilkie challenge has been dismissed but the other is still to come.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Cool, I can see it on ABC and Guardian live feeds now too.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

And as I post that the other one comes in and also dismissed, plainiffs paying costs.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

G-Spot Run posted:

They only need to delay long enough for the media ownership legislation changes to be negotiated, then they can outbid.

Suspect it had more to do with the fact that CBS told fox it would be renegotiating content licensing costs tbh

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
lol if you thought one of our most conservative institutions was going to do something good

burn the court imo

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Well gently caress that's bad news.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Be interesting to see the reasoning when it comes out after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

congratulations to the idiots who bet real actual money the plebiscite would be ruled out by the high court

• Locked thread