Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
only rarity read this

george the animal steele is cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Nystral posted:

Rarity watching 80s PPVs has me thinking of the MegaPowers.

Is the entire arc of their alliance contained within PPVs? This was the first BIG MATCH OMG!!! That I remember as a kid, but I'm sure I was watching during the WM3 years at least as I have memories of the Andre / Hulk feud.

The Mega Powers became a team on an episode of SNME.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Honestly, if you want to see Savage at his best, Rarity, you should watch all the SNMEs going forward from WM4 on. You get to see all his singles angles and there's even a couple shows that are 100% The Randy Savage Show, no Hogan at all!

e: I also think from this point in his career until his WCW run Hogan started to put a lot more effort into his network TV matches than his PPV ones, Wrestlemania excepted. The Hulkster was looking to the next phase of his career and he knew where the eyes were, brother.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 5, 2017

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That also goes for Jake Roberts. Pretty much anything big he did was on SNME or Wrestling Challenge

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Big Bidness posted:

The best quality masks still come from Mexico and Japan and all the mask collectors I know from the US and UK order everything online. Are you looking for pro grade or semi pro? You can get decent quality masks from http://www.mtzwear.com/eng/index.php, http://www.highspots.com/c/Wrestling-Masks.html, https://mrmaskman.com, or http://stores.ebay.com/rafael0666/. Semi pro masks cost about $25- $30, and pro grade start at around $100. Basically pro grade masks use better quality materials, are reinforced, and usually have a lining.

If you want the best quality pro grade masks from the same mask makers that luchadores use, it gets more complicated and a little (to a whole lot) more expensive.
MTZWear took my money for a mask then never delivered it so be weary about them

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Honestly, if you want to see Savage at his best, Rarity, you should watch all the SNMEs going forward from WM4 on. You get to see all his singles angles and there's even a couple shows that are 100% The Randy Savage Show, no Hogan at all!

e: I also think from this point in his career until his WCW run Hogan started to put a lot more effort into his network TV matches than his PPV ones, Wrestlemania excepted. The Hulkster was looking to the next phase of his career and he knew where the eyes were, brother.

SNME matches tended to be matches they'd exhausted on the house shows so Hogan would have the matches down pat by that point.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

MTZWear took my money for a mask then never delivered it so be weary about them

Good to know. Unfortunately for me I'm a full on mask nerd now, so I just get pro grade and ring worn masks from a network of collectors, luchadores, mask makers, and Japanese stores.

The best guarantee for getting a good mask is to buy one right off a luchador's head.

Big Bidness fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 5, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nystral posted:

Rarity don't look please

that's what I remember, THAT MATCH. But I forgot that it was a SNME. I hope Rarity includes it as they were pretty much a PPV on network TV

It wasn't SNME, it was the prime time special The Main Event

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Who are some good examples of wrestlers that wrestled long enough to get an established reputation for being poo poo either in the ring or on the mic, before eventually turning their working and/or promo abilities around? Folks like Braun Strowman

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenny Angel posted:

Who are some good examples of wrestlers that wrestled long enough to get an established reputation for being poo poo either in the ring or on the mic, before eventually turning their working and/or promo abilities around? Folks like Braun Strowman

The Miz had a reputation for being bad overall and not well liked, improved on the mic and then in ring, then fell apart and has now improved again.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jenny Angel posted:

Undertaker for in-ring work.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Didn't Lex Luger have a rep for being lovely in the ring for the first 5 years or so of his career? And then he had a really great run in '90 and '91.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

Undertaker for in-ring work.

Among his peers he was always well regarded in ring.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ah yes, the Randy Orton Defence

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

Ah yes, the Randy Orton Defence

Randy Orton also has a career of great matches and the best match in Jinder Mahal's career to his credit.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Big Bossman comes to mind. He was fat goo during the 80s, then in the early 90s he lost a ton of weight and suddenly became really good

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jimmy Rave is one that came to mind for me

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Jenny Angel posted:

Mark Henry is a decent example during his Hall Of Pain run. His matches were still rough to watch though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nut Bunnies posted:

Jimmy Rave is one that came to mind for me

Nigel went from one of the worst wrestlers in the world to one of the best. Granted it was so early in his career but those first couple of years were rough, then he was very average and suddenly within 6 months he was one of the best guys on Earth.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Wasn't Xavier real bad when he was Consequences Creed? Neville was real bad on the mic but is pretty good as Evil King of Cruiserweights.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I don't remember Xavier being BAD necessarily, but TNA's roster was like 80 deep, and he was like #78 or so.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dias posted:

Wasn't Xavier real bad when he was Consequences Creed? Neville was real bad on the mic but is pretty good as Evil King of Cruiserweights.

He's about the same honestly.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DeathChicken posted:

Big Bossman comes to mind. He was fat goo during the 80s, then in the early 90s he lost a ton of weight and suddenly became really good

Too be fair he was in pretty decent shape during his pre-Bossman days, then got worse and then got in better shape again.

Jenny Angel posted:

Joke answer: Aldo Montoya
Real answer: Rob Conway

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Mabel was terrible for years, but he became awesome as Big Daddy V.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Dias posted:

I've come to love the "creepy weirdo with a thousand yard stare" promos from Neville. He's found his wheelhouse.

His crowd shot during the last Takeover was great, too. He looked like he hadn't slept for a couple days and was just kinda staring into space.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jenny Angel posted:

Edge and Christian.
The first year or two was awful, then once they found their "Nouveaux Hollywood Blondes" niche they started killing it.
Unfortunately the gimmick really needed two people playing off each other to work, so once Edge went solo it took him a few years to find a new niche as the "Rated-R Superstar"

Matt Hardy spent the first 20 or so years of his career being one of the worst promos ever. Then Broken Matt Hardy happened.

Changing the subject a bit:

A few questions about Lanny Poffo:

1) We all know that Lanny spent the last years of his career on the bench getting paid by WCW. I know he said that he was happy to cash the checks, but did he ever specify if he was frustrated at not being able to wrestle or was he content having his career effectively end in 1994(?)

2) Did Lanny do any indie appearances after his WCW contract expired?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 6, 2017

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

ChrisBTY posted:

Pretty sure he did, and has been relatively recently. I remember seeing a video on youtube where he goes up to some younger guy in the back and slaps him across the face, yelling about how the guy needs to learn to work. Lanny got taken down and put in a kimura or something and the whole thing had to be broken up by the loving Honkey Tonk Man.

E:

Yeah, here although it could be a work brother

titties fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 6, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Nigel .... was one of the best guys on Earth.

THE best. He was THE best wrestler on the planet at his peak. He had a list and everything that proved it!

Edit: In all seriousness, Nigel at his peak was my absolute favorite wrestler. Everything he did was gold, whether in promos, in the ring, on the mic, commentary etc.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

titties posted:

Pretty sure he did, and has been relatively recently. I remember seeing a video on youtube where he goes up to some younger guy in the back and slaps him across the face, yelling about how the guy needs to learn to work. Lanny got taken down and put in a kimura or something and the whole thing had to be broken up by the loving Honkey Tonk Man.

E:

Yeah, here although it could be a work brother

it's fake. multiple cameras in the changing room, nobody reacting at all until honkey tonk does something (at which point everyone starts moving around and making noise)

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
And what terrible work it is. It's like that book signing work to sell Hulk's thing in oz.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ChrisBTY posted:

One indie once booked a match between Lanny Poffo and "Black Machismo" Lay Lethal and I commend that act of brilliance.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Not for a couple years now, but he would wrestle one or two, maybe a handful of matches a year in various indies. I watched a brief match he did with Greg Valentine a few years ago.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Gavok posted:

One indie once booked a match between Lanny Poffo and "Black Machismo" Lay Lethal and I commend that act of brilliance.

drat I'd like to see this

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Earlier talk about Megapowers lead me to Youtube rabbit hole of watching Randys best coked up promos (I HATE YOUR GUTS!) and that got me wondering

1. What are considered Savages best promos? And how is he viewed as a promo guy?

2. What are the considered the best promos were the intensity is very High (due coke or rage). And i mean face red spitting some real poo poo!

And to top it of here is picture of coke Randy at his peak

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

TheCool69 posted:

Earlier talk about Megapowers lead me to Youtube rabbit hole of watching Randys best coked up promos (I HATE YOUR GUTS!) and that got me wondering

1. What are considered Savages best promos? And how is he viewed as a promo guy?

2. What are the considered the best promos were the intensity is very High (due coke or rage). And i mean face red spitting some real poo poo!

And to top it of here is picture of coke Randy at his peak

This is a good one, but maybe for the opposite reasons of what you said about coke madness

https://youtu.be/f858fgw4au0

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

This one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Was Raymond Rougeau significantly older then Jacques? IIRC once the team ended he disappeared from WWF tv while Jacques continued in various roles.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Nystral posted:

Was Raymond Rougeau significantly older then Jacques? IIRC once the team ended he disappeared from WWF tv while Jacques continued in various roles.

I don't know much about them but Raymond is 5 years older yeah

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jenny Angel posted:

Gary Jay ended up being decent after starting his career as Gary the Barn Owl and having a legendarily bad match at King of Trios 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Nystral posted:

Didn't Ray do something on camera, like interviews and the update desk after the team ended?