Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
social science in action, neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

Of course not, but to a teenage lesbian it was a bit deal.

fwiw I honestly don't care if they end up together in the show, but it would be neat. Either way Carolina will still be a big 'mo.

Well that's the reasonable and mature position to have and obviously you're not the kind of fan that I'd worry about.

The worst I ever saw it was in The 100 when the actress who played Lexa got a role on Fear the Walking Dead and had to leave the show. So they wrote her out by killing her off, and because she was in a same-sex relationship with the protagonist, some people LOST THEIR loving MINDS about it. Accusations of homophobia, gay baiting, "burying your gays", laying into the show runner and the writers room, people who hard core shipped, excuse me, Clexa went berserk. Now this is a show with extreme diversity of cast in terms of race, gender and sexuality, but it was being excoriated like it was Last Man Standing or something. The showrunner had to apologize, it was massively dramatic. I've never seen a fanbase feel so entitled to decide the narrative outcome of a show and lose all perspective about how irl stuff affects on-set/on-screen stuff.

So a couple of years later, another same sex couple on the show had a falling out, their arc had ended and they wanted to write one of the guys in the relationship out of the show. But they couldn't, not after how the fanbase reacted last time, so he just kind of disappeared. They have this fight, and then the other guy leaves the scene and is neither seen nor heard from again. It's a huge story telling hole that they just have to live with because a small section of the fan base will go mad with rage and try to get everyone fired for narrative choices.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nobody cares if a gay guy dies apparently

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No, they didn't kill him, is the thing. He just disappeared and suddenly Miller is developing chemistry with another dude and I'm like, uh what happened to your long term boyfriend Bryan from the very beginning of the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've watched every episode of The 100 and I don't think I remember any of the character names and I had no idea they swapped the boyfriends.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Well that's the reasonable and mature position to have and obviously you're not the kind of fan that I'd worry about.

The worst I ever saw it was in The 100 when the actress who played Lexa got a role on Fear the Walking Dead and had to leave the show. So they wrote her out by killing her off, and because she was in a same-sex relationship with the protagonist, some people LOST THEIR loving MINDS about it. Accusations of homophobia, gay baiting, "burying your gays", laying into the show runner and the writers room, people who hard core shipped, excuse me, Clexa went berserk. Now this is a show with extreme diversity of cast in terms of race, gender and sexuality, but it was being excoriated like it was Last Man Standing or something. The showrunner had to apologize, it was massively dramatic. I've never seen a fanbase feel so entitled to decide the narrative outcome of a show and lose all perspective about how irl stuff affects on-set/on-screen stuff.

So a couple of years later, another same sex couple on the show had a falling out, their arc had ended and they wanted to write one of the guys in the relationship out of the show. But they couldn't, not after how the fanbase reacted last time, so he just kind of disappeared. They have this fight, and then the other guy leaves the scene and is neither seen nor heard from again. It's a huge story telling hole that they just have to live with because a small section of the fan base will go mad with rage and try to get everyone fired for narrative choices.

The best part is that the person she was ina relationship with is called "the commander of death" and none ofbher same sex lovers haver survived the relationship either. So the fact that a lesbian lover didn't get plot armor is the real source of outrage.

Edit: also, there isn't a single relationship in the show that has ended without one party dying. It's just how they roll in the post-apocalyptic warzone.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 6, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

Yeah, the The 100 thing was ... special. I thought Lexa's death was good and far more interesting than her dying in battle or leaving town for no reason, but I'm at work and my thoughts on peoples reactions to that are vast. Besides, I wrote a lot about it in the thread that year.

Short version being: how are gay characters supposed to be written just like everyone else if people freak out when one of them dies? I would personally would rather have no lesbians in my shows than ones with ridiculous plot armour the writers need to tiptoe around.

e: the gay fridging accusation poo poo was so dumb in a show where the lead character is openly bisexual and v clearly leans more toward bangin other ladies. like the lexa actress got a better job and killing her was the only way to write her off and have it make sense. she would never leave her people or clarke otherwise!

esperterra fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 6, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who isn't watching Toast of London now it's on Netflix worldwide needs to bloody get on with it!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Iron Crowned posted:

No, I like my physical media, and I wish I had more.

Same. At least for Movies/TV since almost every one of those comes with digital codes as well now. I hate physical media for music or books but I love it for Movies and TV because bluray just looks better than any streaming service. And if I'm away from home the digital codes mean I have it it on my iPad too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I lovee having shelves full of an obscene amount of DVDs, Blu Rays, games and books. Makes moving a bitch, but they're the only things I collect and make for a cozy atmosphere.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ryan Murphy's Ratched coming to Netflix

Sarah Paulson stars in the origin series, playing the younger version of Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
2 seasons, 18 episodes ordered
Production begins mid next year
Ryan Murphy directing pilot
Michael Douglas executive produces

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ryan Murphy seems like he's spreading himself pretty thin.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
my prediction is that Ghosted gets cancelled after like 3 episodes despite being really good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Ryan Murphy seems like he's spreading himself pretty thin.

Yeah, dude needs to calm the gently caress down.

Also this is a bizarre idea for a series but I'm pretty into it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Murphy's shows do best when he spreads himself thin, IMO. Like the first season of a Murphy show is the only season that benefits from him being super hands on, but anything after that and his ideas get too scatterbrained. Asylum was the best season of AHS post-Murder House and he was the least involved in that of all the seasons, iirc.

Quality of a Murphy show also depends on if he's writing it, or just producing/directing.

At any rate I won't complain about more Murphy/Paulson combos on my TV, they work well together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HBO has announced that Veep is ending after season 7. Seems like it was a decision on the creative side, not the network.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Should have ended after 5 so that's fine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been assuming that VEEP was gonna end after next season this whole time, it seems like the logical final season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nah it's remained strong, but glad they've got a set end date so they can think of a good ending.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She hasn't even been the Veep for two seasons now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno how legit this is but some pirate watchdog says that GoT was pirated a billion times, not including China. 140m a week. Does that sound even remotely plausible? It says 97% came from streaming sites, no idea how they gather that data.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

esperterra posted:

fwiw I honestly don't care if they end up together in the show, but it would be neat. Either way Carolina will still be a big 'mo.

And banging the skrull chick

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wonder how much they're going to stick to the material. I imagine the first season will be pretty close to the original arc, but I hope they take liberties after they run out of the stuff Brian K. Vaughan actually wrote. poo poo went downhill when Joss took over, and I didn't bother picking it back up after him.

e: I also wonder how much of the Marvel universe they're allowed to mess with. I can't imagine we'll have any X-Men chilling with Molly.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

precision posted:

my prediction is that Ghosted gets cancelled after like 3 episodes despite being really good

I think they get to the midseason break with a few episodes aired sporadically afterwards.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I think they get to the midseason break with a few episodes aired sporadically afterwards.

RIP Making History.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

e: I also wonder how much of the Marvel universe they're allowed to mess with. I can't imagine we'll have any X-Men chilling with Molly.

I'm going to guess they won't be able to use any of the Marvel Universe outside of the main characters. Might be one or two oblique references to events from the films since the TV shows tend to do that but I'm guessing it'll be a self contained story.

Not gonna lie, though, I wouldn't mind an episode where Jessica Jones gets hired to track down the kids and actually, wait, gently caress. Jessica as a mentor/resident adult to the Runaways would be awesome and now I'm pissed that it's a Hulu show.

[Edit: the best "crossover" was Wolverine getting thrown out of a window by Molly and there's no way in hell we're getting that :(]

[Edit again: actually her Wikia page has an image of her gut punching The Punisher, I guess that happened after I stopped reading the series. We're not gonna get that either, though]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 7, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, her little fight with Wolverine is what I was thinking of when I typed my first post. Good stuff! Wasn't there also an arc where Cloak and Dagger were pretty heavily involved?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chris James 2 posted:

Ryan Murphy's Ratched coming to Netflix

Sarah Paulson stars in the origin series, playing the younger version of Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
2 seasons, 18 episodes ordered
Production begins mid next year
Ryan Murphy directing pilot
Michael Douglas executive produces

I fuckin love Sarah Paulson so I can't even complain about this a little.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

esperterra posted:

Yeah, her little fight with Wolverine is what I was thinking of when I typed my first post. Good stuff! Wasn't there also an arc where Cloak and Dagger were pretty heavily involved?

Yes, and even though there will also be a C&D show running at the same time it doesn't make sense to do that story. In that story C&D were kind of like the "Been there, done that" teen heroes that had already grown up and they are not even going to be close to that point in their own show yet.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is the last season of Halt & Catch Fire, right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is the last season of Halt & Catch Fire, right?

Yep. Series finale on October 21st.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm glad they've kept it a short run. Keeps them from running out of poo poo to do, and with how the show has improved every season I would hate for it to stick around long enough for the quality to start going down instead.

Plus it will free up Lee Pace ...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If there was a fifth season I don't know what technological breakthrough they would cover. iPhones?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gonz posted:

Yep. Series finale on October 21st.

That's good. I love the show but it feels like a good time to end things. Though, I will miss having The Strongest Man in the World around :smith:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

If there was a fifth season I don't know what technological breakthrough they would cover. iPhones?

I would say that the transition from the Old Internet to the social media era would be a pretty interesting one to cover, but possibly too recent to do any good research on.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

esperterra posted:

Yeah, the The 100 thing was ... special. I thought Lexa's death was good and far more interesting than her dying in battle or leaving town for no reason, but I'm at work and my thoughts on peoples reactions to that are vast. Besides, I wrote a lot about it in the thread that year.

Short version being: how are gay characters supposed to be written just like everyone else if people freak out when one of them dies? I would personally would rather have no lesbians in my shows than ones with ridiculous plot armour the writers need to tiptoe around.

e: the gay fridging accusation poo poo was so dumb in a show where the lead character is openly bisexual and v clearly leans more toward bangin other ladies. like the lexa actress got a better job and killing her was the only way to write her off and have it make sense. she would never leave her people or clarke otherwise!

While I agree with you in general, the way they handled it was extra stupid. They knew full well a large and very vocal section of their fanbase were waiting with baited breath for those two characters to get together, and then they kill her two minutes after they have sex for the first time...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Should show runners and writers be beholden to the more vocal, extreme parts of their fanbase, though? If shows start to tiptoe around the stans and do things to avoid making them angry, we're going to have some really lovely television.

Like, I get what you're saying, too, but I just personally find it hard to feel too sorry for the crazy internet lesbians who get that attached to a character. Maybe because I remember being one when I was a pre teen/teen and it gives me douche chills.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Let's face it, to a teenage girl, Everything is a big deal

Source: 18 year old sister.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

Let's face it, to a girl, Everything is a big deal

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who was looking for a Strike Back fix?

This season of Shooter has been awesome. Shantel VanSanten is totes hot as well.

• Locked thread