Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Affi posted:

I was kidding :shobon: But anyone not voting A is definitely voting wrong!

What's the appeal/attraction of A? I could be convinced to change my vote.

edit: wow, thats the last time I comment blind, and THEN read to current. HAH

Double edit: Story wise, not poo poo talk wise, for the different options?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There is no fail condition

There are no characters that need protecting

It is an unofficial player competition to cause the most raw carnage before dying gloriously in :battletech: fashion

Pretend I keep repeating that point until everyone dies, because that's how it's going to go

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Glorious no holds barred last stands own really really hard and Grier has been a thread favorite character both in scenario and in fluff!

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
In a more serious note, I think it sounds like an interesting scenario, and PTN has consistently written excellent scenarios and plot for years now. I'm legitimately impressed with how well they've managed to remap a complicated universe in a way that keeps so much of the flavor and feel of BT while recognizing and avoiding some of the more egregious issues that folks have seen.

I think that all these sound cool as hell, and I just am a bit of a sucker for glorious last stands, along with the really cool portrayal of the Clans that has managed to turn my opinion on them after some serious frustration with a particularly beardy Clan player back when I first started on tabletop stuff.

Also, from the stupid Cattletech joke, I've built three IndustrialMechs in SSW designed around herding cattle using tear gas SRMs along with rules to handle it and am really considering writing up a pseudo-book about cattle herding with giant stompy robots for a dumb afternoon game. Does it count as fanart if I write about The Age of Wrangling and the disputes of the Great Ranches of the Cholistani Confederation, the Deoni Combine, the Free Waguli League, the Luing Commonwealth, and the Federated Sayaguesas?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hedningen posted:

Also, from the stupid Cattletech joke, I've built three IndustrialMechs in SSW designed around herding cattle using tear gas SRMs along with rules to handle it and am really considering writing up a pseudo-book about cattle herding with giant stompy robots for a dumb afternoon game. Does it count as fanart if I write about The Age of Wrangling and the disputes of the Great Ranches of the Cholistani Confederation, the Deoni Combine, the Free Waguli League, the Luing Commonwealth, and the Federated Sayaguesas?

Whatever you want to call it, Fan Art, Fan Fic, I need this in my life.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
Exactly. I might be pushing hard for C, but I don't think anyone's gonna stomp out of the thread all pissy because their option didn't get picked. We haven't had a bad (read:boring) mission yet; PTN and the players have consistently brought it in the scenarios. Which is impressive for 6.5 years (holy hell).

That said, since I'm not playing but just reading, I would rather read the updates for the mission involving the resistance and Yakuza than Clan Warriors Get In A Pissing Contest About Death.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

To be perfectly honest I just wanted to see another scenario where the Clans get stomped on. Watching the Hell's Horses conduct their own Custer's Last Stand would also be acceptable.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I feel the need to remind that picking option A is a 100% guarantee the Clans get stomped on. Picking option C is not.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's a strong case.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Strobe posted:

I feel the need to remind that picking option A is a 100% guarantee the Clans get stomped on. Picking option C is not.

Stomped on, yeah; but I don't want to see the Clans stomped on.

They get no glorious deaths. I want to see the Clans killed and forgotten by the gods themselves, each death more pointless then the last, butchered by former bondsmen and yakuza chimpira in "dishonorable" ambushes. I want DracSun soldiers wondering why no Clanners showed up to fight, because each and every Clan tinspawn rear end in a top hat is dead in an alley missing their shoes.

"Stomped on" is so...pedestrian.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cascade Jones posted:

Stomped on, yeah; but I don't want to see the Clans stomped on.

They get no glorious deaths. I want to see the Clans killed and forgotten by the gods themselves, each death more pointless then the last, butchered by former bondsmen and yakuza chimpira in "dishonorable" ambushes. I want DracSun soldiers wondering why no Clanners showed up to fight, because each and every Clan tinspawn rear end in a top hat is dead in an alley missing their shoes.

"Stomped on" is so...pedestrian.

It sounds like you're running low on beer and pretzels, my man

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A is a perfectly good premise for a knock down, drag out fight and the sort of scenario where defeat is inevitable but you're rated on how hard you are to take down is an old staple.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Strobe posted:

It sounds like you're running low on beer and pretzels, my man

Again, if I'm playing, then it's beer and pretzels til I become Bavaria itself; but I don't wanna read a beer and pretzels fight.

Vote for what entertains you the most, I figure. We don't all gotta like the same things!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I'm into A mainly because of the potential for maximum :battletech:
Most missions recommend conserving any critically damaged units and try to extricate them if possible. Last stands, however, embody the 'you are already dead, don't bother holding back' feel which always results in the best stories.

'My centre torso is giving way, my right arm is destroyed, situation excellent, I am advancing.'

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Paingod556 posted:

I'm into A mainly because of the potential for maximum :battletech:
Most missions recommend conserving any critically damaged units and try to extricate them if possible. Last stands, however, embody the 'you are already dead, don't bother holding back' feel which always results in the best stories.

'My centre torso is giving way, my right arm is destroyed, situation excellent, I am advancing.'

Aiden Pryde's Last Stand at the end of Falcon Guard; truly the best of stories.

Edit: poo poo, getting too salty. My bad, gonna chill out now.

Cascade Jones fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 7, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cascade Jones posted:

Eh, I just couldn't quickly think of any C-named Battletech characters without busting out the pocket nuke which is Caesar Steiner.

Edit: or, you know, I couldn't be bothered to look back a few pages at PTN's Let's Read of Close Quarters for some ammo. :doh:

I got you dawg

The last First Lord of the Star League Christian Mansdottir, 3050 Kell Hounds 1st Regiment CO Christian Kell, 3145 Kell Hounds CO Callandre Kell, Charles Marik (who invented telling other people to shut up), Duke Christopher Halas of Oriente, Candace Liao (but the cool murdery one from before Stackpole got ahold of the character and ruined her) and Cameron "Mirror Spock" St. Jamais.

AND OF COURSE THE MAN OF THE HOUR, THE GUY WITH THE POWER, FAR TOO SWEET TO EVER BE SOUR, THE GENETIC FREAK CAESAR STEINER, NOW HOLLA IF YOU HEAR ME

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Defiance Industries posted:

AND OF COURSE THE MAN OF THE HOUR, THE GUY WITH THE POWER, FAR TOO SWEET TO EVER BE SOUR, THE GENETIC FREAK CAESAR STEINER, NOW HOLLA IF YOU HEAR ME

HOLLA!!!

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
I always love a good last stand.

Voting A

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Things are staying pretty steady. I'll probably start putting together forces, but the vote is still open.

You can expect the Roughneck up on my Patreon sometime this month, too. It's PGI's non-canon baby but I'm actually really fond of it. It would've been a great "you tried" `Mech for some company with no real experience building BattleMechs.

RGH-2A :allears:

Edit: That's 75 turns of SRM ammo and 45 turns of AC/2 ammo, total. Some designer was really hopeful.

And no CASE even though CASE is integral on the -1A, -1B, and -1C models

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 7, 2017

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

C!

Gotta love plucky rebels, c'mon now.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: That's 75 turns of SRM ammo and 45 turns of AC/2 ammo, total. Some designer was really hopeful.

Didn't you mention in your fluff that some 'Roughnecks' took enough ammo for a protracted siege, and some barely took enough for a skirmish?

No CASE is a bit of a head-scratcher, however, with the XL Engine, guess it doesn't really matter? Unless the ammo is moved out of the torso?

Otherwise its just a matter of whether or not you can salvageable parts, or just a hole in the ground?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think the difference between CASE and no CASE with that amount of ammo is the pilots life.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DatonKallandor posted:

I think the difference between CASE and no CASE with that amount of ammo is the pilots life.

Even with CASE there's still a pretty good chance of multiple ammo explosions frying the pilot's brain and them dying that way.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

We have no need for stealth when we have BATTLEMECHS!

Voting A.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ah,. I see the problem. Someone accidentally sent MOAB specs to the Battlemech department.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

Didn't you mention in your fluff that some 'Roughnecks' took enough ammo for a protracted siege, and some barely took enough for a skirmish?

That's my excuse, yeah. The real reason is "you often need that much ammo in MWO"

Practically that version of the Roughneck is a dedicated AA machine and multiple tons of SRM ammo means you can bring specialty kit like frag ammo and inferno rounds, but realistically no one's going to buy it as an AA machine for one simple reason:

It's twice as expensive as the AA JagerMech and is at best capable of engaging infantry, light vehicles, aircraft, and exceptionally stupid light `Mechs. It's got a lot more armor than the JagerMech but thanks to that big, dumb XL Engine it's also twice the price. You could also buy 3 BJ-1 Blackjacks for the same price and get twice the AC/2s, double the armor, and four times the medium lasers.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

. . . you could also buy 3 BJ-1 Blackjacks for the same price and get twice the AC/2s, double the armor, and four times the medium lasers.

You mean run procurement from a strategic perspective and build Armies instead of buying White Elephants like the Stone Rhino? (Totem 'Mechs, anyone?)

Inconceivable!!! :)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If new HBS Battletech has taught us anything, it's that the bigger the mech the shittier it is and the less you should ever want it in your lance.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

If new HBS Battletech has taught us anything, it's that the bigger the mech the shittier it is and the less you should ever want it in your lance.

Is that how the game plays?

I still haven't had a chance to play the Beta, and at this point its probably waaay too late.

Seriously though, not sure I like the direction if Heavies and Assaults feel like albatrosses instead of unstoppable, walking mountains of steel and myomer.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Assaults are certainly A Thing to take down in HBSTech, but they seem to be more along the lines of "has a ton of armour" and not "terrifying juggernaut of the battlefield".

I think they just need a King Atlas.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's mostly that they want to be super, super sure that you don't just gravitate to Assaults, so they made it so speed is life. Consequently, big slow assaults have plenty of armor but cost a metric poo poo ton and are slow as gently caress, so they're unlikely to get into range to do anything meaningful even before you account for them in the later initiative phase. They'll probably be plenty strong when the AI gets to park one on top of an objective you have to go after, though. Less so in multiplayer where it's a deathmatch.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

JackSplater posted:

. . . they seem to be more along the lines of "has a ton of armour" and not "terrifying juggernaut of the battlefield".

Zaodai posted:

. . . they made it so speed is life. Consequently, big slow assaults have plenty of armor but cost a metric poo poo ton and are slow as gently caress, so they're unlikely to get into range to do anything meaningful . . .

Not sure how I feel about this. Then again, I haven't played it either, so . . . :ocelot:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CourValant posted:

Not sure how I feel about this. Then again, I haven't played it either, so . . . :ocelot:

If you're of the mindset that Assaults should be kings of the battlefield, you'll probably like the game but hate what they did to assaults. Game itself is good, so there's always a chance they'll fix it at some point.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zaodai posted:

If you're of the mindset that Assaults should be kings of the battlefield, you'll probably like the game but hate what they did to assaults. Game itself is good, so there's always a chance they'll fix it at some point.

I'm of the mind that Assaults are your 'siege-breakers', the cannon(s) which brought down the walls of Constantinople, the ram which breached the walls of Tyre.

They're a special tool built for a specific purpose, and in that role, they should be feared and held in awe (kinda like how we felt about the Stone Rhino last mission).

Sure, while lights and mediums can run rings around an assault, a lance of lights and even mediums should find it nigh impossible to bring one down (imagine trying to stop that Stone Rhino with 4 Jenners)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CourValant posted:

I'm of the mind that Assaults are your 'siege-breakers', the cannon(s) which brought down the walls of Constantinople, the ram which breached the walls of Tyre.

They're a special tool built for a specific purpose, and in that role, they should be feared and held in awe (kinda like how we felt about the Stone Rhino last mission).

Sure, while lights and mediums can run rings around an assault, a lance of lights and even mediums should find it nigh impossible to bring one down (imagine trying to stop that Stone Rhino with 4 Jenners)

Then yes, you will be disappointed. The only hope that Assault has is that they're not running energy weapons and they run out of ammo before it runs out of armor. They have zero reason to ever be in a position to give that assault a remotely decent shot at them or get in range of its heavy weapons. At least without some kind of objective to force them to run right into its teeth.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Trying to stop a Stone Rhino with four Jenners isn't easy, but it's also not even on the unreasonable side of difficult though? :shrug: Depends a little bit on which Jenners you're using, but I'd take the Jenners for easily a third of a hundred hypothetical fights, especially in that terrain.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Assaults are fine, they're just not a good use of your C-Bills in the format of a 4v4 skirmish. When you're not constrained to build a lance based solely around chassis cost decisions (Like, because, you've already bought the mech), then it's a totally different calculus.

(Also when there's a mechlab so you can rip out or re-position terrible stock ammo loads to keep your fancy mechs from being walking bombs, as many things in 3025 are).

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Strobe posted:

. . . I'd take the Jenners for easily a third of a hundred hypothetical fights, especially in that terrain.

That's more than fair actually, given how often :battletech: tends to happen.

All I'm trying to say is there should be a reason for Assaults to exist; if the new HBS game boils down to light cavalry tactics and swirling 'mech balls, then to Zaodai's point, I might be grumpy.

Gwaihir posted:

(Also when there's a mechlab so you can rip out or re-position terrible stock ammo loads to keep your fancy mechs from being walking bombs, as many things in 3025 are).

Good point.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's very little surprise that a 4v4 'Mech skirmish with reduced draw distance/line of sight range and no tactical objectives besides "kill everything" ended up hugely favoring fast lights and mediums or 'Mechs with lots of long range weapons.

As soon as the objectives start coming in that demand durability regardless of movement speed Assaults will be better again. Most games of regular BattleTech I play the only Assaaults I use are the ones that are basically overgrown Heavies anyway. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gwaihir posted:

Hopefully they make the mechlab follow actual customization rules and make massive overhauls like that actually challenging.

• Locked thread