Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Katana Gomai posted:

How do y'all keep track of your collections? Googling for a collection tracker gives me about a dozen different results.

I use the TCGplayer app (formerly ScryGlass), which I need to do again cuz I did a massive trade and I forgot what I got rid of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Omar al-Bishie posted:

This is infinitely confusing and unintuitive, but I think I'll understand after I read it over a few times. Thanks!

e: so why doesn't creature three return?

The fiend hunter on the battlefield is a different fiend hunter that doesn't remember anything about the old fiend hunter, and since the old fiend hunter isn't around anymore, there's no way to trigger its second ability again.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Spell Pierce is an aggressive card, not a mid range or control card.

I think the word you're looking for is "tempo"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I don't know which spell pierce I like more, the one with the Merfolk countering a spell, or the one with the Merfolk countering a spell.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Count Bleck posted:

I don't know which spell pierce I like more, the one with the Merfolk countering a spell, or the one with the Merfolk countering a spell.

Which one has the better set symbol to you?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bolt was in the design file for this set for a while before they scaled it back to strike

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

gif Probst posted:

bolt was in the design file for this set for a while before they scaled it back to strike

I mean Red has it all right now so.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I mean Red has it all right now so.

Yeah, as much as I'd enjoy playing mono-Red with Bolt, that would be too much.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

gif Probst posted:

Joke or for real? Woulda been somethin.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

gif Probst posted:

That is probably a very good idea right now, the opportunity to print bolt passed (it was during the coco meta) and with ramunap and temur being the top decks thats probably too much power to inject into one color without also printing poo poo like manaleak, birds and other cards that spread the power around a bit.

Also is there a source on this? I'm intrigued

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

quote:

sjameso asked:
Have you ever submitted lightning bolt in a set and had it pulled by development?

MaRo
I have not.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Count Bleck posted:

Technically, there's the one with the golden bird-man countering a spell.

Totally counts.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
With Iconic Masters drafts happening at Hascon this weekend we're going to get the whole thing spoiled in two days.

My overly hopeful prediction: The swords will be reprinted.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bigperm posted:

With Iconic Masters drafts happening at Hascon this weekend we're going to get the whole thing spoiled in two days.

My overly hopeful prediction: The swords will be reprinted.

What do we know isn't getting reprinted?

Besides Power 9. ABUR Stuff, right?

Can't wait for Shivan Dragon.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Count Bleck posted:

What do we know isn't getting reprinted?

Besides Power 9. ABUR Stuff, right?

I still think bolt shows up in that set

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

LordAbaddon posted:

I still think bolt shows up in that set

That would be a good sign, as the power level of the rest of the set would have to match for limited.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Are sets like eternal masters drafted, or are those the ones that are like $10 a booster?

Is buying a box of that set worth the investment?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Are sets like eternal masters drafted, or are those the ones that are like $10 a booster?

Do you own a large retail store that can buy boxes at wholesale rates and move a lot of the individual cards at singles prices?

If so, then yes it might be worth your while to buy and open some boxes.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Jabor posted:

Do you own a large retail store that can buy boxes at wholesale rates and move a lot of the individual cards at singles prices?

If so, then yes it might be worth your while to buy and open some boxes.

I...do not. I guess I meant selling the sealed box a couple years down the road, but that's no good either.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

bigperm posted:

That would be a good sign, as the power level of the rest of the set would have to match for limited.

What if they put it at rare though??????

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

gif Probst posted:

Yeah what is the source for this?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Winding constrictor and explore have some interesting synergies. I'm going to try to make a BG or abzan version using them and see how it goes.

Maybe even jund. The removal is good in jund.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 7, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

Bro, play a game with me: List out the cards you want to see reprinted that meet the following criteria in the Iconic Masters blurb
a tour through some of the most powerful cards in over 20 years of Magic history

but then
brings an array of massive Angels, Sphinxes, Demons, Dragons, and Hydras

First Sphinx doesn't count. You know the one. It says plural.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Carl Killer Miller posted:

They are meant to be drafted. I think they are worth the investment if you get multiple cases and fire off enough 30 dollar drafts. Personally, I would never consider them "worth the investment" because laddered CD's are much safer and higher yield and I don't want to run a card shop.

Most of them are great to draft, but conspiracy sets are cheaper and are more fun in a beer and pizza environment.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 7, 2017

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah what is the source for this?

efro told me

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I can't put my finger on it, but the more I see of Ixalan, the more it seems like a bygone era of magic in regards to art and card design (in a good way). Maybe it's because the swashbuckling pirate aesthetic reminds me of the Weatherlight or Mercadia; maybe it's because the treasure theme feels like a funny gimmick along the lines of homarids and thrulls, only done well. In any case, it's been a while since I've felt this way.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JerryLee posted:

I can't put my finger on it, but the more I see of Ixalan, the more it seems like a bygone era of magic in regards to art and card design (in a good way). Maybe it's because the swashbuckling pirate aesthetic reminds me of the Weatherlight or Mercadia; maybe it's because the treasure theme feels like a funny gimmick along the lines of homarids and thrulls, only done well. In any case, it's been a while since I've felt this way.

I kind of feel the same way, and I think it's because every other card doesn't have "graveyard" or "exile" on it. Like it's a "battlefield matters" set.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JerryLee posted:

this set feels more like magic to me than the NotGreece/NotMongolia/NotGermanicEurope/NotIndia/NotAncientEgypt box-ticking sets of the past

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

JerryLee posted:

I think this is where I got my first Masques vibe. I think it was just from the aesthetic of the plane and the critters I had seen so far, as opposed to the card quality.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Legendary land

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tainen posted:

Legendary land

Am I wrong in thinking this is a very solid card?

This reads like a card that was submitted in that design challenge for a black enchantment a while back

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's a really cool card. Not sure if has the support to see play anywhere, but it's real fuckin neato.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ah, a slightly modified Greed with Fateful Hour

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Am I wrong in thinking this is a very solid card?

It's super slow. You're paying two mana for nothing, four mana to get your card back, and six mana before you're actually getting ahead in any way.

Maybe it's a sideboard option to sneak in before blue decks in standard get their counter wall up, but even those decks will have lightning strike and torrential gearhulk to burst people down.

The land side seems super irrelevant since creature heavy decks would rather have Cryptbreaker or Walking Ballista or a planeswalker as their value cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Maybe land ramp will be easier this time around.

Also appears that arena will premier at 3cst today.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 7, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The good thing about flipping into a land is that Greed is a pretty bad card when your life total is low and tapping for mana is better. Still, I don't think this card is playable.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

JerryLee posted:

I'm definitely getting Onslaught vibes from Ixalan, which is a really good thing because it was a super fun block (well...mostly).

Maybe we'll get the return of storm in the small set :v:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'm absolutely loving this set so far as well and I have high hopes for its success because if this thread is saying positive things during spoiler season it's gotta end up being the most well received set in the mythic era

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Sickening posted:

Maybe land ramp will be easier this time around.

Also appears that arena will premier at 3cst today.

I guess it costs a lot, but this + any pestilence effect seems like super easy ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

EatinCake posted:

I guess it costs a lot, but this + any pestilence effect seems like super easy ramp.

When was the last time we got a Pestilence effect? Time Spiral block?