Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Shroud of the Avatar is going to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Node posted:

:thunk:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
do you guys think it'll be a black shroud or a white one? maybe a somber gray? I bet there'll be a procession...but to what? burial? cremation?? one of those metal af sky burials where some guy hacks you up and the vultures eat the bits??

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i do admire how shamelessly garriott is cashing in on his reputation and built up fanbase, at the end of the day admiration from gross nerds does have a very real dollar value that you'd be dumb not to collect

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

I use to believe this, but now I know better along with a refund.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i am sure everyone still playing this "game" is really excited about the oktoberfest themed fundraiser :shepface:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Percelus posted:

i am sure everyone still playing this "game" is really excited about the oktoberfest themed fundraiser :shepface:

$10K: Virtue Bierkrug (aka Beer Stein) (NOTE: image is placeholder)
$25K: Virtue Oktoberfest Beer/Pretzel/Sausage Banner
$35K: Virtue Oktoberfest Tent with Garland Decoration hanging from ceiling
$50K: Virtue Dirndl: traditional female Bavarian outfit
$65K: Virtue Lederhosen: traditional male Bavarian outfit
$80K: Virtue Flaming Tuba

loving shameless.

NOTE: Game is a placeholder

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 31, 2017

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
"User Interface Polish: We were able to polish various aspects of the user interface, as well as implement major new features such as the ability to separate chat into multiple windows! We also implemented the first iteration of Discord integration which, while still only rudimentary, is already quite powerful! Additionally, we added a “Private Property” tooltip to help prevent accidental thefts, improved tooltips for equipment that indicates the type of pattern that can be applied, autocomplete for the “/w” whisper command (a player suggestion), and a host of other improvements."

Holy poo poo everyone, redownload this game now!

We can separate chat into MULTIPLE WINDOWS!!!!!

10/10

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Rad Russian posted:

loving shameless.

Are those real dollars? Or some fantasy poo poo?

Wait why do I even ask.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I want a flaming tuba

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Celebrities are doing a telethon for Houston flood survivors

meanwhile 165 miles away

*Darkstarr puts on a funny hat
*Chris answers a question, barely stifling his searing hatred for everyone
*In game dance party at 2 FPS

"I hereby pledge $1000 to secure Ye olde royal Virtue Lederhosen" -30 sad Avatars

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Node posted:

I want a flaming tuba

I wish it poo poo out money when you blow into it that caught fire before you could grab it out of the air to symbolize what this game has become.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
dear richard (garriott)

I donated $10,000 but haven't received my authentic UO-era NO DRAW tile yet, how do I get my money back

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Byolante posted:

SO the answer isn't that the vast majoity of the playerbase are carebears but that the population of the game is vastly overstated.

Yep. A large portion of nullsec dudes have multiple characters on multiple accounts because unlike in other MMOs everything scales well with numbers.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Unctuous Cretin posted:

There's a handful of good ones that are locked into specific update eras, some that are off the wall with custom scripts, and most of them have next to no playerbase.

UO Forever is a completely free shard. Dunno what "era" it is, but yeah it's customized a bit. They added a lot of powerful magical items. The player base is huge - hundreds on at all times, over a thousand at peak. Literally no more room to place houses.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Rad Russian posted:

loving shameless.

Is this real?! Come on.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Thursday Next posted:

Is this real?! Come on.

The Flaming Tuba is absolutely real.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Thursday Next posted:

Is this real?! Come on.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Percelus posted:

the game is just 63 players donating a few thousand dollars a month to get to chat with a millionaire who wont contribute his own money but feels too badly about firing the remaining 5 employees working on his 'vision'

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HungryMedusa posted:

Celebrities are doing a telethon for Houston flood survivors

meanwhile 165 miles away

*Darkstarr puts on a funny hat
*Chris answers a question, barely stifling his searing hatred for everyone
*In game dance party at 2 FPS

"I hereby pledge $1000 to secure Ye olde royal Virtue Lederhosen" -30 sad Avatars

But we can still make jokes about starving kids in Africa any day of any week, which is what really matters.

I think it's about 1 American life for fifty thousand random overseas nobodies. Ratio might be off by a couple either way.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I just recently heard about this game. Is it a bigger scam than Star Citizen?

Texibus
May 18, 2008

smg77 posted:

I just recently heard about this game. Is it a bigger scam than Star Citizen?

No, the only bigger scam than Star Citizen is the American Dream.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Soup du Journey posted:

Ok so in 2011 he listed his Austin home for $4.1 million so that he could build "an even more lavish Texas castle." Then 2 years later, the asking price for Austinhouse went down to $3.5 million. A year after that it got sold to some shmuck, for who knows how much, but Zillow has it pegged at ~$1.5 million, and realtor.com has it at ~$1.2 million, down from about $1.8 since its last listing in 2014 (so presumably this is around what it sold for???).

Now I guess the lavish Texas castle is being listed for $45 million? He's selling it so that he can "buy a smaller property in Austin". Like the one he sold a couple years ago...

:wtc:

It's cool that a filthy rich pig like this conned a bunch of nostalgic mmo olds into giving him 2 million dollars and is now selling them in-game bitcoins or whatever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What's the state of Shroud of the Avatar now? Is it getting any closer to being out of Early Access development hell? What is taking so long if it's not?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

What's the state of Shroud of the Avatar now? Is it getting any closer to being out of Early Access development hell? What is taking so long if it's not?

I believe it is in the phase of "Let's all quietly forget about this and pretend it never happened"

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Which oddly enough seems to be working, even the people that got ripped off seem to be ok just moving on and accepting that theyve been conned,

Texibus
May 18, 2008
What is their alternative?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Texibus posted:

What is their alternative?

Admitting that once again they have poor impulse control and have pissed away money that could have had a positive impact in their own or other people's lives rather than lining the pockets of a washed up has been.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Considering Richard Garriotts ten digits wealth? Probably a lawyer. But of course the various NEETs who support this stuff in the hopes that it will provide them a virtual world to escape into have become so used to being used as doormats that theyll just pretend it didnt happen and move on to the next big thing. It kind of lowers my expectations for tears when Star Citizen finally implodes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I noticed that Shroud is free for this month. So I started playing a little bit tonight to see where the game is. It's certainly in better shape then it was when I last touched the game and decided to get a refund.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

I get a download from Steam every couple days when they update something. It has active development. I haven't played in months, and don't know what kind of player activity exists currently.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a general grinding guide or something that explains where you should go as you progress in skill? Quests that are worth doing as well.

I feel like this game is on the right track finally but it's still buggy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Is there a general grinding guide or something that explains where you should go as you progress in skill? Quests that are worth doing as well.

I don't think there is much of one, which is a big problem. If I wanted to start playing again, I'd have no idea where to look up what they added, and what I can do, or goals I should work towards.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

I don't think there is much of one, which is a big problem. If I wanted to start playing again, I'd have no idea where to look up what they added, and what I can do, or goals I should work towards.

Something I noticed that I like is that now the addon store is only paid for in online mode. The page claims, if i'm reading it correctly, that everything on that page can be obtained for free in offline mode by just finding or crafting it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Something I noticed that I like is that now the addon store is only paid for in online mode. The page claims, if i'm reading it correctly, that everything on that page can be obtained for free in offline mode by just finding or crafting it.

The only thing I've purchased (other than my kickstarter pledge) is the /vomit emote, because, well, I have to be able to puke at all times. I don't think you can get that in game. I must be misinterpreting what you're saying. What page are you referring to?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

The only thing I've purchased (other than my kickstarter pledge) is the /vomit emote, because, well, I have to be able to puke at all times. I don't think you can get that in game. I must be misinterpreting what you're saying. What page are you referring to?

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085&open=shroud_of_the_avatar:_forsaken_virtues__digital_

Here, and maybe i'm misunderstanding. You have played more then I have and are more familiar with the state of the game so you might have a better idea what is going.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085&open=shroud_of_the_avatar:_forsaken_virtues__digital_

Here, and maybe i'm misunderstanding. You have played more then I have and are more familiar with the state of the game so you might have a better idea what is going.

Okay, it looks like for online, you need to pay Lord British real money for stuff in the addon store. This was as I expected:

quote:

In addition to items available in the store below, there are hundreds of similar items that can be found and/or crafted in-game

If you want to play in offline mode, there are ways to get those items in game:

quote:

Additionally, in Offline mode all game content will be available in-game for in-game gold including ALL the Add On Store content.

I didn't know that, but this game would be pretty dull in offline (single player) mode. Like playing UO by yourself. Insert joke about the game being dull in multiplayer too.

Node fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 16, 2017

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Node posted:

I didn't know that, but this game would be pretty dull in offline (single player) mode. Like playing UO by yourself. Insert joke about the game being dull in multiplayer too.

The obvious go to joke is judging by the player count there is no meaningful difference between online and offline play.

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
Sad fact is if you aren't buying a house or town then you're only buying half a game because the housing system is the only thing that has been fleshed out and polished.

I mean Racettear is a much better game (your shop doesn't cost you $500 real dollars for a start) but you don't buy it for the dungeon combat, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i get the feeling richard garriott just wants everyone to forget about this dumb game and move on with their lives in the most quiet scenario imaginable