Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

An official Pokemon game would have also put this encounter somewhere around halfway through the game, leveled it appropriately and then let you return for the other one in the post game, probably by requiring you have the one you caught in your party, and possibly just giving the drat thing to you without a fight.

If you do have to fight it it'd be 50:50 whether the second one would be at it's original mid-game level or boosted to post-game levels. And it still definitely wouldn't be level loving 90.

Probably in a real Pokemon game they'd be version exclusives, so whichever one you got would depend on which 'colour' game you were playing. So you could at least pick which one you wanted when you chose which game to get, and you wouldn't have to fight both of them at once, in a random event, at level 90.

And we thought roamning legendaries were a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

to be fair, roaming legendaries are still worse

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah.

Thankfully Uranium has none of those. Legit best choice they made.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

It is really telling that even gamefreak seems to have realized this after gen 4's roaming disaster considering BW1 had one roamer per version and only appeared on one of three routes depending on time of day, BW2 had none what so ever, XY had 1 (depending on starter) that was bad since you needed to see it 11 times but then it went back to a cave to roost, ORAS turned the roaming lati into a gift, and then SM had none.

The fact uranium doesn't have a roamer is honestly surprising to me!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly, "guy with a pokemon you can't catch" seems pretty small on the list of sins. I mean, Sun/Moon has a bunch of tourist trainers whose entire thing is they have versions of Alola-form pokemon that you can't catch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There are lots of Akis, Asamis, and Harukas in anime so those could be anything. Zakkun is a World of Warcraft boss. This theme is extremely confusing.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Endorph posted:

There are lots of Akis, Asamis, and Harukas in anime so those could be anything. Zakkun is a World of Warcraft boss. This theme is extremely confusing.

It's literally just this rear end in a top hat's team. Who names all of their pokemon to a single theme?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Stroth posted:

It's literally just this rear end in a top hat's team. Who names all of their pokemon to a single theme?

do puns count

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Stroth posted:

Me, usually Marvel or DC characters

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Stroth posted:

How else are you supposed to think of six names for your playthrough? :confused:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Haifisch posted:

How else are you supposed to think of six names for your playthrough? :confused:

By restricting yourself to a single theme.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Glazius posted:

Honestly, "guy with a pokemon you can't catch" seems pretty small on the list of sins. I mean, Sun/Moon has a bunch of tourist trainers whose entire thing is they have versions of Alola-form pokemon that you can't catch.

You can breed non-Alola forms of those Pokemon with a held item, though I forget which.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dabir posted:

You can breed non-Alola forms of those Pokemon with a held item, though I forget which.

Everstone, but only if you have the Kanto version.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Everstone, but only if you have the Kanto version.

and between GTS, Wonder Trade, and Pokemon Bank if you got XY or ORAS, you can get those - quite easily sometimes if someone happens to be breeding, but Uranium is a fan game, there's no way of getting Gengar legitimately.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I kind of like the idea of a trainer with an unavailable Pokemon.

It reminds me of the early, early days when Togepi and Marill Pikablu were mysterious and exciting specifically because they were outside the Pokedex. It made the world feel big, you know?

That said, the execution on this one was dorky.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
he has the big, super special pokemon and it's a trade evolution you can't even get

kill me

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sorites posted:

I kind of like the idea of a trainer with an unavailable Pokemon.

It reminds me of the early, early days when Togepi and Marill Pikablu were mysterious and exciting specifically because they were outside the Pokedex. It made the world feel big, you know?

That said, the execution on this one was dorky.

Did Misty ever evolve that Togepi?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
She did and then she immediately released it because that's what happens in the anime with evolved mons.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Not as much as people like to think it does.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Waterfall of Salt posted:

She did and then she immediately released it because that's what happens in the anime with evolved mons.

Bye Bye Butterfree was a mistake.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

alcharagia posted:

trade evolution

Back to this again, huh?

Try as hard as you might, uranium, you can't make me hate Sylveon.

SilverFox442
Feb 23, 2017

rannum posted:

It is really telling that even gamefreak seems to have realized this after gen 4's roaming disaster considering BW1 had one roamer per version and only appeared on one of three routes depending on time of day, BW2 had none what so ever, XY had 1 (depending on starter) that was bad since you needed to see it 11 times but then it went back to a cave to roost, ORAS turned the roaming lati into a gift, and then SM had none.

The fact uranium doesn't have a roamer is honestly surprising to me!

If I recall from early in the thread correctly, this is probably more of a programming limitation than a conscious good decision on the part of Uranium's creators.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The Groundhog Day thing if you mess up catching the legendary makes me wonder why they didn't use the same idea with the scene you get if you lose to Curie. So they could do their world ending Game Over, but also send you back to the pokemon center and let you change your team or grind instead of potentially leaving you in an unwinnable state.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SilverFox442 posted:

If I recall from early in the thread correctly, this is probably more of a programming limitation than a conscious good decision on the part of Uranium's creators.
They could have done it in RPG Maker if they'd really wanted to, even just using the basic event scripting provided by the program. Depending upon how they implemented the concept, it could have been something as simple as hiding an invisible event in each area where a roaming legendary can appear and a global variable that determines which event activates and what Pokemon it is, or as complex as creating an alternate map for the area with slightly modified encounter tables, which you enter when a global variable says there's a roaming legendary in that area

Gruckles posted:

The Groundhog Day thing if you mess up catching the legendary makes me wonder why they didn't use the same idea with the scene you get if you lose to Curie. So they could do their world ending Game Over, but also send you back to the pokemon center and let you change your team or grind instead of potentially leaving you in an unwinnable state.
Because Uranium. They probably thought of the idea of the Groundhog Day thing specifically for that legendary dude after the rest of the game was "finished", and didn't bother to think of how it could be applied to the rest of the game.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Minor nuisance #255. One more and it rolls over to none, at least!

Well I appreciate you keeping track of Uranium's problems in a thematic way.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

In defense of Gengar being here, I remember that the postgame of X and Y, you had to battle a bunch of trainers that all had Pokémon that were completely unavailable in those games. There was even some confusion as to Whimsicott's type being changed since no one was able to datamine the 3DS games at the time and Pokémon Box wasn't available yet.

However, I doubt the people behind Uranium are developing a second campaign with all the other Pokémon like Game Freak has done since Gen 3.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's not that you had to, the cafes around the world had trainers that could show up with tons of Pokemon you couldn't get, specifically to help you fill out your national dex, since just seeing them is enough.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Eh, I can't be mad at someone who invests money into the development of a game and is rewarded for it. It just would've been nice to give all the other players a shot at having a Gengar. Have Adam gift you a Gastly egg once you've finished the subplot? And, sure, that would mean it's locked behind post-game, but if the GTS isn't totally hosed, there should still be ways to get a Gastly through that. Gengarite can stay strictly post-game so Adam gets to show off his mega ghost first.

I also gotta wonder what the hell the point is of giving Heatran a trio and then not including Heatran at all. Another weird point: Lanthan and Actan are genderless mon, while Heatran has the distinction of being the only Legendary able to be male or female. (Ignoring what non-gameplay stuff like the Pokedexes and the anime might say about other Legendaries.)

It's just... what is even the point of associating two new Legendaries with Heatran if it doesn't seem like it fits in at all in the group, and if it isn't even available? And don't say it's because Heatran is native to Sinnoh - the official games found a way to put RSE's trio in Johto and DPP's lake guardians all over Unova. BW2 and ORAS also had a spare Heatran each, so there is no reason for Uranium not doing the same.

-

An unrelated thought I had regarding Lucille: Does she as CURIE ever imply that she recognizes her husband and child? I understand why she might not, since given what we're told about how stasis works, it would make sense for her memories to fade and warp. The downside is that it robs the protagonist of any chance to actually confront what their mother has done. Up until the very end, CURIE is nothing more than a faceless villain who only interacts with you by talking about how much she wants to see you suffer. By the time she's finally unmasked, Lucille is comatose, and she never has to answer for what she's done. You only ever get to confront CURIE the masked monster - not Lucille, your long-lost mother who now wants you dead.

Compare to the Bad Parents of Black/White and Sun/Moon: You actually get to see them treat their kids like garbage and see how said children react, and in BW2 and SM you get to watch them finally call their parents out. SM even tries to make its villain sympathetic just as Uranium does, and while it's debatable how well that works, I think the SM writers gave more thought into what motivated that character*, compared to Uranium using "the isolation drove her mad and now she wants to murder everything for no reason" as its only justification.
(* Judgement subject to change depending on what happens in USUM.)

It'd be difficult to pull off the same kind of interaction with the silent protagonist. Then again, we also have Kellyn present. He too could have had some kind of interaction with Lucille, reminding her that she nearly killed him and their only child, telling her of the ten years he spent ignoring their child to search for her. But in the end, it seems that all we'll get is Kellyn talking about Lucille, instead of anyone actually having a conversation with her. Judgement subject to change if there actually is a resolution to Lucille's story, now or in the future.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
In defense of Gengar he's fuckin' awesome

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Dexie posted:

Not as much as people like to think it does.

Just going form the initial Kanto run, Ash first trades Butterfree away and then later releases him, gives away Primeape, and releases Pidgeot the same episode it evolved.
Charizard also becomes disobedient upon evolution and Bulbasaur and Pikachu both have episodes based on them not wanting to evolve. Add in the Magikarp evolution and the Eevee brother episode and it's clear that Pokémon was really against Pokemon evolving for some reason :colbert: I'll give you later on though

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

In defense of Gengar he's fuckin' awesome

Absolutely.

But Haunter is better

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Just going form the initial Kanto run, Ash first trades Butterfree away and then later releases him, gives away Primeape, and releases Pidgeot the same episode it evolved.
Charizard also becomes disobedient upon evolution and Bulbasaur and Pikachu both have episodes based on them not wanting to evolve. Add in the Magikarp evolution and the Eevee brother episode and it's clear that Pokémon was really against Pokemon evolving for some reason :colbert: I'll give you later on though

If Ash can't grow up, nobody can grow up.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Blockhouse posted:

Otohime is from One Piece (and a giant mermaid princess so that's appropriate) and Fii is from No Game No Life, I don't get any of the other ones

"Um, actually Otohime was the giant mermaid princess' normal-sized mother, you're thinking of Shirahoshi." -Paul, probably (also me :negative:)

I think the most annoying part about this game's dialog is how suddenly all the bullshit fan terminology has been insufferably shoehorned into the world (like Adam's line referring to the "three Legendaries of metal" like "Legendaries" is just a word normal people use, and how NPCs will casually refer to game mechanics that were always couched in oblique terms before). But, I guess fanfic authors have never exactly had a great deal of respect for the fiction if it got in the way of their dumb ideas.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MiracleFlare posted:

I also gotta wonder what the hell the point is of giving Heatran a trio and then not including Heatran at all. Another weird point: Lanthan and Actan are genderless mon, while Heatran has the distinction of being the only Legendary able to be male or female. (Ignoring what non-gameplay stuff like the Pokedexes and the anime might say about other Legendaries.)

It's just... what is even the point of associating two new Legendaries with Heatran if it doesn't seem like it fits in at all in the group, and if it isn't even available? And don't say it's because Heatran is native to Sinnoh - the official games found a way to put RSE's trio in Johto and DPP's lake guardians all over Unova. BW2 and ORAS also had a spare Heatran each, so there is no reason for Uranium not doing the same.

The answer here is super simple. They slapped a "1.0" label on their fangame when it wasn't even feature complete and they knew it wasn't feature complete.

They hadn't put in Heatran yet, simply, before they got slapped with a C&D. Same goes with their other legendary trio. My guess is that they thought of the trio, figured "oh you can use the other two to get heatran" (actually pretty common in pokemon, see also Kyurem, Rayquaza, Regigigas) but then got their (poke)balls shattered by Nintendo before they could actually put that plan into action.

It's a different kind of Uranium stupidity than normal, but it's still Uranium stupidity - painting a target on themselves before they'd even technically finished because they couldn't keep it in their pants.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
And they never bring up her crimes. Has there been anything that was at all surprising about this game other than terrible design decisions?

Decided to play through the Sage demo again to try the more obscure Pokemon, namely Leukoon and Lumishroom. The former was a bitch to find, but fun as gently caress to use: it trivializes Stella's Magnitogre with its giant bulk and Curse + Night Shade. Evolving the latter was a journey on its own. I wanted it to be part of the Admin fight, so I chose an arbitrary way to get paralyzed: spamming Stun Spore on a Doppole and hoping it used Copycat.

Has there been any other fan games that has a completely original dex? I'll probably move on to official Pokemon games after this play through so I'm just wondering.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Has there been any other fan games that has a completely original dex? I'll probably move on to official Pokemon games after this play through so I'm just wondering.

Most of the ones we've mentioned in-thread have had original dexes. Reborn, Sage, Clover, even Pokemon Quartz.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Reborn hasn't :ssh:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Stroth posted:

One of my Pokemon X runs was Scott Pilgrim themed.
Each Pokemon was one of the 7 Evil Exes. Girafarig covered both Katayanagis so I could fit all 7 in.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

ChrisBTY posted:

One of my Pokemon X runs was Scott Pilgrim themed.
Each Pokemon was one of the 7 Evil Exes. Girafarig covered both Katayanagis so I could fit all 7 in.

...I am now honestly curious about what the rest were.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

EclecticTastes posted:

I think the most annoying part about this game's dialog is how suddenly all the bullshit fan terminology has been insufferably shoehorned into the world (like Adam's line referring to the "three Legendaries of metal" like "Legendaries" is just a word normal people use, and how NPCs will casually refer to game mechanics that were always couched in oblique terms before). But, I guess fanfic authors have never exactly had a great deal of respect for the fiction if it got in the way of their dumb ideas.

I just finished playing through Insurgence (different fan game) and this bugged the hell out of me. NPC dialog is just littered with 'Shinies', IV's, EV's, Legendaries, talk of status conditions impacting speed/turn order, and junk like that. There's something really off putting about playing a game and following along with the story only to have some kid standing in the street go "My Shiny Blaziken is the best. I worked really hard to make sure it has the perfect EV spread."

Personally, I think part of it is laziness. Like you said, normally stuff like that is couched in oblique terms or described in a way that the characters of that world would realistically describe it. But why bother with that garbage when you can just dump all the terms and mechanics on the floor and leave it?

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Psycho Knight posted:

I just finished playing through Insurgence (different fan game) and this bugged the hell out of me. NPC dialog is just littered with 'Shinies', IV's, EV's, Legendaries, talk of status conditions impacting speed/turn order, and junk like that. There's something really off putting about playing a game and following along with the story only to have some kid standing in the street going "My Shiny Blaziken is the best. I worked really hard to make sure it has the perfect EV spread."

To be fair about the Shiny thing the official games have been using that term since Black and White. Then again only one or two NPCs talked about it, and even then only in one location (a house in Nimbasa city, if anyone's curious).

I don't think the official games have ever called EVs and IVs by name, though. You tend to get NPCs talking about "potential" instead of IVs.

• Locked thread