Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dias posted:

Stupid Asian countries had to use stupid ideograms on their stupid syllabic alphabets (or in Korea's case a weird not-really-ideogram-but-symbol-based-but-also-has-ideograms alphabet), I can't be bothered learning that poo poo but I feel like Japanese and Portuguese have similar phonemes plus the structure isn't that hard to learn so with the amount of Japanese poo poo I've followed since I was a kid I could be pretty mediocre at it by now. They drop subjects all the time which is a very Romance thing to do too.

look i like languages okay i'm just too lazy to learn them is all

Korean hangul is absolutely an alphabet, it's just arranged in syllable blocks instead of being purely linear.

As someone who's somewhat advanced in Japanese, it's a weird language to learn because everything is either easy or hard, with little in between. There's also a lot of subjectivity that makes it weird too, like they drop the subject, but unlike romance languages, there's no conjugation for the person or anything, you just infer it from context. And don't get me started on there being different verbs and verb forms for different levels of politeness that are themselves nuanced and situational.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm really curious at what Woolie's relationship with his girlfriend is like if he believes all this poo poo.

I think she's the same way; really I just think their deal is neither believes in True Love or The One and Woolie plays it up on mic, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

Legit tho, the way Catherine starts, the game tries VERY hard to make Katherine as unlikeable as possible from your initial perspective.

I mean yeah it tries but totally bombs at it because Vincent is immediately, blatantly, a loving lame moron.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wrong, Master Roshi is like one of a handful of actually decent parental figures the franchise has and Goku's relationship and love for him one of the few things the writers actually let Goku feel human. Like Master Roshi's big episode recently where he totally expects to loving die from pushing too hard and Goku's stuck and Krillin is already out of the fight so they can't help and just have to listen to their adoptive father pass on his final lesson. You got to see Goku have an emotion that wasn't him flip flopping between "Happy to be fighting" and "Serious fighting." which makes sense. The whole episode was a love letter to Dragon Ball OG, back when Goku was slightly more interesting a protagonist and Goofy techniques were stronger than just being tougher than your opponent. Super is leaning heavily on that last part, which is pretty great.

This is less of a problem in the Dub since they do a hell of a lot to help normalize all the cast through dialogue (See Vegeta threatening Jaco with 'Hey Jackass. You better not try any funny business with my wife!' or sarcastically calling Bulma 'babe') but Goku's even less fleshed out/multi-faceted in the Japanses version. Cutting out one of his few humanizing relationships seems like a real fuckin bad idea.

He's actually a creepy molester.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

I mean yeah it tries but totally bombs at it because Vincent is immediately, blatantly, a loving lame moron.

My reading of Catherine was that neither of the women are good for Vincent, partly because Vincent doesn't know what he wants and is poo poo too, and partly because it's a choice between a figurative harpy and a literal succubus. So the only good ending is Vincent leaving both of them and working on himself.

Demon king ending is fun, even if thematically it makes zero sense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rodyle posted:

Yeah the second you spend time as him with his friends it becomes instantly clear what kind of shitbag Vinny's been to Katherine and that Katherine is just a woman at the end of her rope in this relationship.

It's why the True Katherine ending is the best, because it's where the whole cast gets the most development and growth and they feel like actual people by the end.

I Love Annie May posted:

He's actually a creepy molester.

He's both, and one of two people Goku ever really seems to care about. Goku's not a good moral man like Vegeta.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

He's both, and one of two people Goku ever really seems to care about. Goku's not a good moral man like Vegeta.

Goku cares about his friends and family. While he can be a bit of a dick and thoughtless, he ultimately cares for them. It's just that he's dumb and doesn't think of stuff like "hey the father should be around when the mom's giving birth."

During the Frieza saga when Freiza is drowning him he gets pissed and scared of what's going to happen to gohan chi-chi and all his friends if he loses.

It's shown in super when he gets mad at Zamasu after Zamasu told him that he killed chi-chi and goten.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

hoobajoo posted:

My reading of Catherine was that neither of the women are good for Vincent, partly because Vincent doesn't know what he wants and is poo poo too, and partly because it's a choice between a figurative harpy and a literal succubus. So the only good ending is Vincent leaving both of them and working on himself.

Demon king ending is fun, even if thematically it makes zero sense.

How I read Catherine is everyone excepting Catherine herself and Toby is some horrible mashing of personal issues. Kate herself is emotionally manipulative of Vincent who has very little respect for himself and horrible communication and commitment problems. She genuinely loves him and cares about him, but over the past five years of seeing nothing progress between them and being hassled by her family and other societal norms she thinks Vincent himself needs to feel as annoyed about this as she does and it gets bad enough to the point where she tried to force Vincent into maturity through a fake pregnancy. Orlando has serious problems with his own sense of pride where he saw himself as a failure and pushed his wife away because he thought he had no right to be loved after his own business ventures failed and is a raging cynic because of it. Jonny is the anti-Vincent where he has commitment issues but entirely through his own design rather than Vincent, who does it out of complacency and ignorance.

Vincent himself is a loser, but he's infinitely more relateable than most others. He's been cruising through his life with no real ambition or drive and has been fine living the life he has because his friends and girlfriend will accept him (The latter is obviously untrue later). It's not until he's put into the nightmares and is forced to think about what he's doing to other people and vice versa does he start to realize what he wants from life and that is the true endings effectively. Every endings makes thematic sense with Catherine, because it is ultimately a story about self-actualization. When Vincent actually realizes what he wants out of life he is able to finally care and change himself and mature. The Cheater ending shows what if Vincent cared about Catherine enough to fight through hell for her? He takes over and becomes the ruler of it. The Lovers ending shows that Vincent is able to live a happy life with Kate and ultimately change everyone else around him for the better. The Freedom ending shows that Vincent realizes he doesn't need to be attached to people to be fine with who he is and how he wants to live and it caps off with him realizing his dream of going up in a shuttle to see space.

Like Catherine ain't a perfect story and it has issues, mostly that a lot of its problems are resolved if people actually talk to each other, but that's not what the story is about. It's about being comfortable with who you are and that you are more than you think you are. The relationships and nightmares are a backdrop to service that message. That being said, I doubt Woolie put any real thought into Catherine's characters or story and just sort of cruised through it with Matt, which is about what you'd expect.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

a figurative harpy

That's just it though, K isn't a harpy of any sort, she's just tired of Vincent being such a fuckin bum.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

That's just it though, K isn't a harpy of any sort, she's just tired of Vincent being such a fuckin bum.

But rather than having an uncomfortably frank and direct conversation about their relationship, she acts passive-aggressive and nags Vincent. Like, Vincent sucks, but the way she handles Vincent sucking isn't great either.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

But rather than having an uncomfortably frank and direct conversation about their relationship, she acts passive-aggressive and nags Vincent. Like, Vincent sucks, but the way she handles Vincent sucking isn't great either.

We've had this exact conversation in this thread and you're dead wrong still.

She does try and meet up with him multiple times in the early game to have actual discussions with Vinny about their relationship but every single time he's either late or trying to change the subject because he's a PoS and while he doesn't want to further commit because it'd be a hassle, breaking up would also be a hassle.

The entire conversation with his friends day 1 and 2 are essentially them saying "Dude what you're doing is not good for either of you and it's REALLY not fair to her. Grow up and make a decision, either stay with her or leave."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
His friends are actively not voices of reason because they are filled with bad advice and don't ever actually help the situation and leave Vincent to deal with his own problems. Katherine herself meets up with him, but every conversation comes off as a reason to scold or yell at him and never let him actually talk. The only times he tries to duck out of conversations is after he thinks he's cheated with Catherine and that's because he needs time to think about everything that's happened and why he doesn't remember any of it or when poo poo like Catherine showing up at the cake shop happens. Katherine meanwhile tries to dictate his life over texts, scold him like a child for hanging out with his friends while trying to figure out his life, jump to conclusions on his faithfulness and then throw an ultimatum at him because she is dissatisfied with how he hasn't immediately decided to marry her after a massive lie she told him to get him to do so. Vincent's responsible for his own actions and his relationship, but the same applies to her. Katherine is an incredibly suffocating person and it's easy to see why Vincent is scared of her and at the possibility of what she could be when seen in his nightmares, but it's also easy to see why Vincent fell for her when you do get the moments where you see her good side in certain scenes and how she does actually care for him and the good lovers ending credits roll.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Every single character in Catherine is loving horrible and if you're honestly trying to judge someone's real-life relationships by their attachment to the story in that game (or any) then you're being a smelly butt face.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

Hey Matt do you still read this thread?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He does not read this thread.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rodyle posted:

He does not read this thread.
I think we scared him out a while back. Not sure why.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh yeah.

It's a real mystery.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Captain Baal posted:

His friends are actively not voices of reason because they are filled with bad advice and don't ever actually help the situation and leave Vincent to deal with his own problems. Katherine herself meets up with him, but every conversation comes off as a reason to scold or yell at him and never let him actually talk. The only times he tries to duck out of conversations is after he thinks he's cheated with Catherine and that's because he needs time to think about everything that's happened and why he doesn't remember any of it or when poo poo like Catherine showing up at the cake shop happens. Katherine meanwhile tries to dictate his life over texts, scold him like a child for hanging out with his friends while trying to figure out his life, jump to conclusions on his faithfulness and then throw an ultimatum at him because she is dissatisfied with how he hasn't immediately decided to marry her after a massive lie she told him to get him to do so. Vincent's responsible for his own actions and his relationship, but the same applies to her. Katherine is an incredibly suffocating person and it's easy to see why Vincent is scared of her and at the possibility of what she could be when seen in his nightmares, but it's also easy to see why Vincent fell for her when you do get the moments where you see her good side in certain scenes and how she does actually care for him and the good lovers ending credits roll.

Thanks, this is a more eloquent version of what I wanted to say.

Grouchio posted:

I think we scared him out a while back. Not sure why.

Yeah, no idea why people saying really mean, negative things about the Best Friends would make Matt not want to come here. Very mysterioso.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nilbop posted:

Every single character in Catherine is loving horrible and if you're honestly trying to judge someone's real-life relationships by their attachment to the story in that game (or any) then you're being a smelly butt face.

I'm more judging Woolie on things he's actually said on the podcast than anything else.

He's one of those "Love is just CHEMICALS in your Brain!" kinda duders and that plus the sentiment "I should not have to tell my SO I love her, she should just know!" is kind of something that's funny to laugh at.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I'm more judging Woolie on things he's actually said on the podcast than anything else.

He's one of those "Love is just CHEMICALS in your Brain!" kinda duders and that plus the sentiment "I should not have to tell my SO I love her, she should just know!" is kind of something that's funny to laugh at.

To be fair Woolie's perspective on that poo poo is "there's no such thing as love as this supernatural concept, we like people because our brains like being with them and it's cool that we get to make it a meaningful thing", which I think isn't some abnormal poo poo to think about. Also I do find it super creepy when people go "I love you" like one month into a relationship. Maybe I'm also a hosed up human being, I guess.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dias posted:

To be fair Woolie's perspective on that poo poo is "there's no such thing as love as this supernatural concept, we like people because our brains like being with them and it's cool that we get to make it a meaningful thing", which I think isn't some abnormal poo poo to think about. Also I do find it super creepy when people go "I love you" like one month into a relationship. Maybe I'm also a hosed up human being, I guess.

Except in the Catherine LP he's clearly using it in a really edgy "emotions aren't real, wake up sheeple!" kinda way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone should shoot them a tweet that they can play up things for laughs instead of just being themselves all the time in their LPs.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Ha! Did you do that yourself?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nilbop posted:

Ha! Did you do that yourself?
Heh, I wish I was good at drawing things other than portraits. :suicide:

No I just found it on reddit. I did just draw Superman from Kingdom Come though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Someone should shoot them a tweet that they can play up things for laughs instead of just being themselves all the time in their LPs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Pat is a super awesome friend if he's treating fuggins to a trip to japan. Like that's a hell of a gift, though he must be rolling in it since I don't think he spends much on frivolous poo poo outside of the occasional lot box splurge, and if woolie is any indication, they probably make a serious paycheck from SBF, plus side projects/streams.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

Pat is a super awesome friend if he's treating fuggins to a trip to japan. Like that's a hell of a gift, though he must be rolling in it since I don't think he spends much on frivolous poo poo outside of the occasional lot box splurge, and if woolie is any indication, they probably make a serious paycheck from SBF, plus side projects/streams.

Yo, really? drat. They're either REAL bad at finances or making pretty good money, and considering Pat's overall lifestyle I'll assume it's the latter. Good for them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

Yo, really? drat. They're either REAL bad at finances or making pretty good money, and considering Pat's overall lifestyle I'll assume it's the latter. Good for them.

It's probably both

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pat boots up Overwatch and Blizzard just immediately takes 4500$ from his savings account just to not waste anyone's time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, you can dump $200 on stupid poo poo if that money isn't going anywhere else, that's how I see Pat being a dwarf sperm whale.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dias posted:

Woolie bought a 750 dollar(?) super limited edition virgil statue for himself, and also got a second one which he gave to Matt as a gift.

You don't just drop 3/4 of a grand on a whim for a gift unless you're making some serious cash, especially after just moving into a new place.

Dias posted:

I mean, you can dump $200 on stupid poo poo if that money isn't going anywhere else, that's how I see Pat being a dwarf sperm whale.
Pat has basically subsidized his loot boxes via streams. He's got a ton of subscribers, and people donate all the time. That on top of SBF, he's gotta be loaded by now.

If you've never watched it, I heartily recommend Pat's Scumbag Stream, wherein he starts live unboxing Heroes of the Storm loot boxes and makes the perhaps foolish statement that any donations during said stream will go entirely towards more loot boxes. The video is two and a half hours long. People donated something like 400-600 dollars which all went straight into loot boxes. Paige's reaction to this is priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv3TaNq1brM&hd=1

His "what have I done" realizations throughout are the best, also the sheer amount of trolling the loot boxes do, such as getting the same legendary(ultra rare) skin what, 6 times? Instead of the ones he wants.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ooh, paige playing war of the chosen with Pat guiding her.

Oh god, it's 3 hours.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I spend $11 (which is like triple of that for me considering I'm not American) on a t-shirt that just arrived and I felt a bit guilty about it even though I'm gonna WEAR it, I can't fathom buying figurines for triple digits. That's a lot of beers I could be drinking.

Tae posted:

Oh god, it's 3 hours.

To be fair, three hours of X-Com are like four missions.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tae posted:

Oh god, it's 3 hours.

Figurative blind leading the actual blind. Hmm they really are meant for each other.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dias posted:

A month ago Woolie bought 2 statues that cost 600 bucks each for himself and he also bought one more as a gift to Matt for his birthday.

Either the friends are making some really good dough or they are swimming in debt.

hoobajoo posted:

Yeah, no idea why people saying really mean, negative things about the Best Friends would make Matt not want to come here. Very mysterioso.

I honestly don't remember it being that bad, it's just that Matt can be a tad sensitive to criticism.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 7, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Can Pat stare at Japan again? We need more videos like that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Monaghan posted:

I honestly don't remember it being that bad, it's just that Matt can be a tad sensitive to criticism.

If it was straight criticism to Matt, I agree. People got a lot meaner about everyone else and dude always sounded ultra defensive. I think it was just not wanting to be THAT much in contact with random people from the fanbase, which is completely understandable and will probably make you a happier content creator overall.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Monaghan posted:

A month ago Woolie bought 2 statues that cost 600 bucks each for himself and he also bought one more as a gift to Matt for his birthday.

Either the friends are making some really good dough or they are swimming in debt.

Montreal is not an expensive city to live in, none of them live alone, none of them have kids, and they have a youtube channel with over 600k subscribers plus streams etc. They're pretty financially sound, and it'll take more than the occasional $600 statue to change that.

I mean, if they're smart they're jamming as much as they can into tax-free retirement investments because Youtube celeb status is obviously not a stable career choice, but they're not going to ruin themselves short-term with a few expensive trinkets.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
if YouTube dries up the game hosers will just upload on world star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Tae posted:

Oh god, it's 3 hours.

Look forward to Paige trying to skip every bit of gameplay tutorial and giving 0 fucks about mechanics.