Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Corrode posted:

That modifiers thing makes the Chapter Master re-roll really annoying when you have to remember to discard 3s because they haven't technically missed yet.

My Captain has a thunder hammer and drops with power/chain fist terminators. The way modifiers interact with rerolls has me seriously wondering if I'd be better off spending the 3 CP for the Chapter Master upgrade on other things.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Really, if you're using him for that I'd just drop a chaplain instead.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Darren MacLennan posted:

Does anybody have any tips for using Dark Eldar against Space Marines?

Just for example, here's some things I've tried:

- Venom spam. Six Venoms can lay down a lot of firepower, but the problem is that twelve poison shots with two Splinter Cannons looks pretty serious until it bounces off the armor; I can get maybe one to two casualties per Venom, which is a bad tradeoff.

- Incubi spam. They can do a lot of damage until they go squish on the comeback.

- Hekatrix Bloodbrides. These can put out a fuckload of attacks, but the Strength 3 and the lack of AP means that - again - they're hitting a lot, but bouncing off the Space Marine armor.

- Regular Dark Eldar Warriors. I'm taking them five with a blaster as a cheap way to get Venoms, but they're just not hitting hard enough to justify their points cost.

- I've been taking Talos Murder Engines, but they have the problem of being too obvious a target, overcosted and they have a tendency to go squish under sustained bolter fire.

Thoughts?

My roommate has conceded every DE v. DA game we've played. I've had good all around luck with roughly:

Two raiders with lances filled with warriors plus a blaster and cannon
One Ravager with lances
A jet fighter with disintigraters
Two squads of scourges decked out with blasters
A squad of reivers
A venom for my archon plus court

D. Lances and Blasters are really great. I was utterly unimpressed with the Talos this edition and Incubi losing their invuln makes them too easy a target in my opinion.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
I got to slam some 'hams! My first big game of 8th ed (2000 PST, my craftworld Eldar versus Farsight Enclave Tau). My list was the one I posted a hit up the thread filled out with two wraithlords, their list was a supreme command detachment with farsight and two other super commanders, Aunshi and a fire blade, then a big crisis team with a huge drone team, a hammerhead, some sniper pathfinders, a blob of fire warriors with aunshi and the fire blade all capped off with one of the big battle suits (can't remember the name, kept using a nova reactor to make its weapons death flamers from hell) and a stealth team to drop a beacon.

He got to go first and although I'd carefully bubbled my units I couldn't stop the stealth team getting in relatively close and dropping the big deep strike bomb. I duly sat through about a half an hour shooting phase which took out a moderate chunk of my army (16 guardian blob, three jet bike squad, ranger squad, a wraithlord)but slightly less than expected, and managed to charge my dark reapers with farsight (who killed one).

I had a decent go on the punchback. I got all excited when my farseer kicked off by getting a five wound high roll smite onto the quad fusion commander next to him, but my opponent informed me that he could saviour protocols this, and tried to claim only one drone died. We had a bit of a back and forth about this - a very technical reading of the errataed saviour protocols could support an argument that it doesn't work on psychic powers, but I was definitely sure that the five mortal wounds at least would all apply to the drones, which is the compromise we settled on (which appears to be the internet consensus but why the heck hasn't this been specifically errated?). The rest of my shooting phase went moderately well for me up to a point - small arms fire killed the rest of the drones, and then fire dragons wave serpents/the other wraithlords did their thing and wiped the crisis team off the map. Then things went a bit wrong - my guided wraithguard tagged five wraithcannon wounds onto farsight, left vulnerable after the deaths of his drones and crisis friends.

Unfortunately, the jammy git made all five 4++ saves, and also made all three 4+ saves in melee after the wraithguard charged him. On his t2, the big battle suit started doing its terrible thing and did big damage with its weapons, wiping out my wraithguad and fire dragons and the main problem was that with farsight still alive and kicking he could keep charging my stuff and keeping me off balance. However, I was giving as good as I got in this regard - one of my wave serpents was entertaining itself by repeatedly multicharging his fire warrior blob, and while it was gradually getting plunked down, it was tying up all their shooting.

Due to a badly botched charge (as in, missed the charge and got a starswarm missile to the face) the reapers got a turn of shooting and managed to put six wounds on the big suit, and assembled small arms put on four more . I then realised I'd messed up and forgot to destructor it with my two warlocks, which made a big difference as it still had three wounds left to overcharge one more time, and did some more horrible damage. My farseer eventually got caught and punked in combat, and the second wraithlords went down to some crucial bad luck (missed the kill against the quad fusion commander in one combat by missing with 2 attacks, then double hit on overwatch the next time it charged) and that was that.

Overall it was a fun time but god drat I can see why people like playing Ynnari - given most of the same circumstances I'm pretty sure I would have won handily if, for example, my fie dragons could have shot the big suit after the wraithguard were wiped.

I also have one other rules query - I was told my farseer couldn't use powers after falling back, but I don't see this anywhere in the book. Is that in the errata? Two extra smites and guides (he fell back twice) could have made all the difference, it really went on the turn of the dice on a few critical turns.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

adamantium|wang posted:

My Captain has a thunder hammer and drops with power/chain fist terminators. The way modifiers interact with rerolls has me seriously wondering if I'd be better off spending the 3 CP for the Chapter Master upgrade on other things.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got more out of using those three CP for selective rerolls elsewhere.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

berzerkmonkey posted:

Until they inexplicably became insectoid Swamp Thing:

Bug men that disrupt reality with sheer concentrated weirdness is way more interesting than space rats.

Space marine battlepile in full swing here, played a 3 player game of primaris v ynnari v necron silver tide, my mate was running 3x 20 warriors, cryptek and ghost ark groupings to see how it worked but on round one he made the mistake of marching one of the blobs towards me so I moved the aggressors and repulsor into range and proceded to blow all them off the board with something like 100 shots under the chapter master and lieutenants auras. Primaris apothecary finally got to do his job and picked up a man each turn, hellblasters overcharged and did exactly the 14 damage to kill a ghost ark camping and objective in a single turn of shooting and I ended up winning the game on one of my intercessor squads and my entire command section charging one of his crypteks onto the center objective.

The ynnari player on the other hand got tied up killing the same warrior blob with his farseer yvraine and wraithblades for pretty much the entire game with the last turn having them reduced to 1 warrior and then bouncing back to 17.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if you got more out of using those three CP for selective rerolls elsewhere.
I got a downright unreasonable amount of mileage out of that stratagem this game though everyone at the table did agree it won't work quite as well when more races have their AoE nukes like orbital bombardment and nurgles rot.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What are the wounding rules in 8th edition for units with multiple models that have multiple wounds?

Like let's say I have five Primaris dudes with two wounds each, so ten total. The unit takes five wounds from an attack. Do I have five Primaris with one wound each, two dead Primaris and one with one wound, or do I get to pick?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

goose willis posted:

What are the wounding rules in 8th edition for units with multiple models that have multiple wounds?

Like let's say I have five Primaris dudes with two wounds each, so ten total. The unit takes five wounds from an attack. Do I have five Primaris with one wound each, two dead Primaris and one with one wound, or do I get to pick?

You keep putting wounds on a model until it dies, so you have 2 dead and one wounded

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

Black_Nexus posted:

You keep putting wounds on a model until it dies, so you have 2 dead and one wounded

Its explicitly to stop this case because a squad not losing any effectiveness when its been taken down to half health is kind of bullshit.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Depends on how the wounds come. If it's 5 bolters, then 2 dead one on one wound. If it's a single Lascannon doing 5 damage, one guy dies, if it's three guns doing D3 damage, then you roll one at a time. If it's 2, 1, 2 damage, then you apply it in order and 2 guys die and the other three are fine.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

OK, what about weapons that do extra damage? Like, let's say I'm firing guns with two damage at three of my friend's Tyranid warriors, who have three wounds each. Two shots manage to wound. Does warrior #1 take three wounds and warrior #2 takes one wound? Or does warrior #1 just take both shots and dies and the excess damage is wasted and doesn't carry over to the other guys?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

One_Wing posted:

I had a decent go on the punchback. I got all excited when my farseer kicked off by getting a five wound high roll smite onto the quad fusion commander next to him, but my opponent informed me that he could saviour protocols this, and tried to claim only one drone died. We had a bit of a back and forth about this - a very technical reading of the errataed saviour protocols could support an argument that it doesn't work on psychic powers, but I was definitely sure that the five mortal wounds at least would all apply to the drones, which is the compromise we settled on (which appears to be the internet consensus but why the heck hasn't this been specifically errated?)

Oh interesting. Googling around seems to support that conclusion, but amongst my friends we haven't been allowing savior protocols on smites, as the errata was worded "When an enemy attack wounds it" and psychic powers not having the word "attack" in their language/phase: just manifest and resolution.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Excess damage doesn't carry over, unless it's mortal wounds or has a rule that says otherwise.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

goose willis posted:

OK, what about weapons that do extra damage? Like, let's say I'm firing guns with two damage at three of my friend's Tyranid warriors, who have three wounds each. Two shots manage to wound. Does warrior #1 take three wounds and warrior #2 takes one wound? Or does warrior #1 just take both shots and dies and the excess damage is wasted and doesn't carry over to the other guys?

The latter, unless it's mortal wounds in which case warrior 2 takes the fourth wound

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Oh, I see. Thanks!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, my theoryhammer 1850 list has a jump pack Lt and a bunch of Vanguard dropping in near the Captain and his Cataphractii with another Lt hanging around in the back lines. I would probably be better off spending the CP on buffing my Contemptor with Wisdom of the Ancients for 3 turns so I get two sets of reroll 1s to hit and wound bubbles. I've got 7 CP in the list and 3 is a huge chunk of them spent in one place, especially on a M4 model that's going to be away from much of the army at any one time.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Oh interesting. Googling around seems to support that conclusion, but amongst my friends we haven't been allowing savior protocols on smites, as the errata was worded "When an enemy attack wounds it" and psychic powers not having the word "attack" in their language/phase: just manifest and resolution.

This is the correct interpretation.

I am surprised that there was ever a situation that he allowed to happen where the drones weren't a closer target, though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

You allocate the wounds pretty much like they're part of the squad, so 5 drones would die from the mortal wounds. The rules aren't really precise enough to make attack a well defined term.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You allocate the wounds pretty much like they're part of the squad, so 5 drones would die from the mortal wounds. The rules aren't really precise enough to make attack a well defined term.

Yeah but our interpretation was that it never got to that point because an enemy attack wasn't what was wounding it, a psychic power (which seems to have very intentionally left out use of the word "attack") was.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
This is probably a dumb question, (and I'm pretty sure I know the real answer: don't do it and just use a proxy) but the rule in the indices about under strength units and how you can field them with whatever models you have, does that apply if you don't have a champion/sergeant/unit champion/Aeldari Aelfmaester, or does that completely preclude you from fielding the unit?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Giant Isopod posted:

This is probably a dumb question, (and I'm pretty sure I know the real answer: don't do it and just use a proxy) but the rule in the indices about under strength units and how you can field them with whatever models you have, does that apply if you don't have a champion/sergeant/unit champion/Aeldari Aelfmaester, or does that completely preclude you from fielding the unit?

Nope - the only restriction on understrength units is that you can only do it if you legit don't have the models available - to prevent people making ten one-man understrength Tactical Squads to fill out a brigade.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Darren MacLennan posted:

Does anybody have any tips for using Dark Eldar against Space Marines?

Just for example, here's some things I've tried:

- Venom spam. Six Venoms can lay down a lot of firepower, but the problem is that twelve poison shots with two Splinter Cannons looks pretty serious until it bounces off the armor; I can get maybe one to two casualties per Venom, which is a bad tradeoff.

- Incubi spam. They can do a lot of damage until they go squish on the comeback.

- Hekatrix Bloodbrides. These can put out a fuckload of attacks, but the Strength 3 and the lack of AP means that - again - they're hitting a lot, but bouncing off the Space Marine armor.

- Regular Dark Eldar Warriors. I'm taking them five with a blaster as a cheap way to get Venoms, but they're just not hitting hard enough to justify their points cost.

- I've been taking Talos Murder Engines, but they have the problem of being too obvious a target, overcosted and they have a tendency to go squish under sustained bolter fire.

Thoughts?

My brother goes with Wracks in a Raider for a fly-by with a pile of Liquifier Guns followed by a second Raider full of Grotesques led by a Haemonculus to tie up the big guns in melee. Plus lots of Dark Lances on a Ravager to vehicle hunt and a triple Disintegrator Ravager for Terminator or general marine hunting.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Is the punisher gatling cannon as awesome on the tabletop as it seems in the rules?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's really great against infantry.

It's literally as good as its weight in bolters against vehicles, which is to say a single Tac Squad. It doesn't do poo poo to stuff that's T6 or higher with decent armor.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Strobe posted:

It's really great against infantry.

It's literally as good as its weight in bolters against vehicles, which is to say a single Tac Squad. It doesn't do poo poo to stuff that's T6 or higher with decent armor.

It will soak up shots because people are terrified of it, but yeah, if there's no infantry within 24", it's way less useful. The best Russ tank is the MBT, in my opinion. 2nd best is the Exterminator.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Sex Cannon posted:

It will soak up shots because people are terrified of it, but yeah, if there's no infantry within 24", it's way less useful. The best Russ tank is the MBT, in my opinion. 2nd best is the Exterminator.

And that's not saying much.

I'd take a punisher if I had to have a Russ, but almost every other heavy option is better.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'd take a Punisher for sure, and like it even. I'd just also bring four other Leman Russes because if you're bringing one you might as well bring five, in proper Guard fashion.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
None of the russes have great offensive output but a bunch of T8 vehicles are great for clogging poo poo up. But at least the battle cannon one is respectable against most targets, and pretty threatening to multiwound infantry.

My guard friend brought a vanquisher and I think its sponsons did more work than the cannon did.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Texmo posted:

Nope - the only restriction on understrength units is that you can only do it if you legit don't have the models available - to prevent people making ten one-man understrength Tactical Squads to fill out a brigade.

The errata actually did an update on this, because thats a bad call since you cant ever stop some dork from saying he genuinely only has 3 conscripts or something when its clear thats a lie. You can only do understrength units in an auxilary detachment, i.e. you would lose CP by doing it.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I think it would be more fair if you can only have one under-strength unit of any given type, and you'd have to be forced to finish off an under-strength slot before you can add any more of that unit type, so instead of ten one-man tactical squads you'd have to pool them into two minimal five-man squads

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

I think it would be more fair if you can only have one under-strength unit of any given type, and you'd have to be forced to finish off an under-strength slot before you can add any more of that unit type, so instead of ten one-man tactical squads you'd have to pool them into two minimal five-man squads

That was already true. You can only ever have 1 under strength unit of a given type. You could theoretically do an understrength unit of a tackle marine, a unit of a scout, and a unit of an intercessor, but the faq means that's -3 cp.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
They shouldn't have touched it in the first place. Letting people bring under strength units but making them pay the points for the minimum unit size was perfectly fine.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Yeah I just wanted to try out seraphim without having to track down a superior model - I don't think the point savings over the full unit really makes that much difference.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Giant Isopod posted:

Yeah I just wanted to try out seraphim without having to track down a superior model - I don't think the point savings over the full unit really makes that much difference.

Just identify one as the superior with paint or base colouring or something if you're just trying it out. No one should care.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Working on test paint schemes for my new Guard army, left or right?

Yeast fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 7, 2017

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Yeast posted:

Hmm, left but with gold epaulets.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Strobe posted:

This is the correct interpretation.

I am surprised that there was ever a situation that he allowed to happen where the drones weren't a closer target, though.

To be fair to my opponent, leaving the commander smite-able makes loads more sense if you believe you can tank smite on a single drone as long as its within 3 inches.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Yeast posted:

The right looks brighter. I like gold frogging all over rather than the drab. You should also sculpt a mustache on any models that don't come with one.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Yeast posted:

Right. They both look great, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Pop Goes the Monkey just got all products yanked from Shapeways.

EDIT: Looks like a lot are back up now? Not sure what's going on...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 7, 2017