Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Jesus christ, that's the question? gently caress I hope they just remove the bit about marriage being between a man and a woman and don't make specific reference to same-sex marriage in the bill.

"marriage means the union of a man and a woman, and also the union of two people of the same sex, voluntarily entered into for life."

Separate, but equal :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

"marriage means the union of a man and a woman, and also the union of two people of the same sex, voluntarily entered into for life."

Separate, but equal :unsmigghh:

Seems designed to gently caress over the non-binary in the long run.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Seems designed to gently caress over the non-binary in the long run.

I feel like that ascribes too much acknowledgement of non-binary people to be something the Liberals could do.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

This is honestly the best news I've heard in a long time. Thank god for the ABC.

Cleretic posted:

I feel like that ascribes too much acknowledgement of non-binary people to be something the Liberals could do.

Even under that wording any gay trans people wouldn't be able to be married, so still possible.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 7, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Even under that wording any gay trans people wouldn't be able to be married, so still possible.

Does it? You're gonna have to lay out the math on that one for me. From what I know, marriage law only cares about the gender marker on the birth certificate, so no part of the law really has enough dynamism to recognize that enough to discriminate against it.

The thing I would be worried about there is that exact same 'separate but equal' situation leading to a potentially dangerous legal crack with trans people. Say I as a trans woman am married to my hypothetical wife in a straight marriage due to my birth certificate saying I'm male, if I change that gender marker we become a gay marriage which is potentially a legally distinct thing. In that case I could easily see it being possible that there is just not a system to handle that, leading to an ugly bit of legal bullshit.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Cleretic posted:

Does it? You're gonna have to lay out the math on that one for me. From what I know, marriage law only cares about the gender marker on the birth certificate, so no part of the law really has enough dynamism to recognize that enough to discriminate against it.

The thing I would be worried about there is that exact same 'separate but equal' situation leading to a potentially dangerous legal crack with trans people. Say I as a trans woman am married to my hypothetical wife in a straight marriage due to my birth certificate saying I'm male, if I change that gender marker we become a gay marriage which is potentially a legally distinct thing. In that case I could easily see it being possible that there is just not a system to handle that, leading to an ugly bit of legal bullshit.
As per https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/27/even-the-un-rejects-the-governments-stance-on-transgender-married-couples, if you're born in SA or ACT and change the gender marker on your birth cert, you don't have to be single to do so. For every other state, however, you do. And even for those from SA and ACT, the feds have been aruging they should be getting divorced too. The UN slapped them down, because of those pesky human rights things, but it's interesting that the Federal Government wanted to go to any length at all to stop any same gender/sex couples being married.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

And by interesting, I mean I hope they all burn.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Anyone got the skills to start a meme campaign around stories where people came out in a suicide note? Fight "Vote No to protect the children" with "Vote Yes if you want your children to live".

My meme game is weak :smith:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I was wondering the same thing. It'd be grisly as gently caress but a tally of the number of LGBTI suicides since the survey was announced might hammer home how important this is

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
A quick reminder to please make sure you're respectful to trans people during this debate. A lot of the arguments from the 'no' campaign already involve attacks on trans identities.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Before Times posted:

A quick reminder to please make sure you're respectful to trans people during this debate. A lot of the arguments from the 'no' campaign already involve attacks on trans identities.

Just be respectful to all people full stop, really.

Except Queenslanders.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

You Am I posted:

Just be respectful to all people full stop, really.

Except Queenslanders.

yes all lives matter etc, but trans people have already been thrown under the bus during this debate and I haven't seen many 'yes' people defending them. just something to be aware of.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The Before Times posted:

yes all lives matter etc, but trans people have already been thrown under the bus during this debate and I haven't seen many 'yes' people defending them. just something to be aware of.

The barely hidden secret is that there isn't actually an LGBT community but gay communities and trans communities and some of us that intersect the two but that shitloads of gay people are happy to throw trans people under the bus at the first opportunity. Take this gay Doctor Who writer's gross screed as a recent example.

Plenty of (mostly cis, white, male) gay people are very FYGM when it comes to trans people.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
"between two consenting adults" is all it needs to say, but we're already in the position we're in because of bigoted gently caress heads so I have no hope of a proper solution.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

yeah, i understand why, on a tactical level, the yes campaign isn't trying to directly confront the transphobia from the no campaign "wearing dresses at schools!! genderfluidity!!!" but it's uncomfortable, even as someone who isn't queer.

gently caress the tories.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Freedoms for us, not for others. Literaly FYGM from the No movement.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Cleretic posted:

Crazy explained it well, but to follow the math, if a male and female want to get married, but one is trans, so they are a man and a man wanting to get married; they are not same-sex and they are not a man and a woman. By that potential wording they'd fall through the cracks. And as Crazy pointed out, there's strong precedent for this interpretation.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"things will be much worse", how could it be worse than pedophile priests. The sheer gall of it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

btw this was satire you clods

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BBJoey posted:

btw this was satire you clods

:lol: if anyone thought otherwise. Van Badham hates the greens, but otherwise has some good opinions. Labor is pro-immigration so she would be too (and hence be against ol' Dicky)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Freedom of employment? You mean how the Catholic Church will sack anyone who they find is homosexual?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

You Am I posted:

Freedom of employment? You mean how the Catholic Church will sack anyone who they find is homosexual?
It's "Freedom for us, not for others". It's exactly how Andrew Bolt rails on about "freedom of speech" when people dump crap (or glitter) on him then attacks people when they say things he doesn't like.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can we just change the constitution from "freedom of religion" to "freedom from religion"?

it seems like that solves literally all problems.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I'll need to do some research on this, but something tells me that the 'free exercise of religion' clause in the Constitution is relatively narrow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rival groups in marriage debate clash outside Brisbane church
Woman arrested after supporters of yes and no camps in same-sex marriage survey clash outside a meeting of those opposing change

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I'd prefer having violent protests over a vote that actually mattered

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

The Before Times posted:

I'll need to do some research on this, but something tells me that the 'free exercise of religion' clause in the Constitution is relatively narrow.

It is, doesn't even cover the states, only the feds. High court has extended the protection to atheism though.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
one of the main movers and shakers in the yes movement, i can't remember her name but i saw her interviewed on tv so hopefully someone will know, is a cis lady married to a trans lady who was identifying as male when they married. her wife actually can't go ahead with her transition without annulling the marriage under the current laws. so either they divorce or she has to accept being legally viewed as a man until the laws change, they have no other options. it's hosed

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats Greens Senator Janet Rice!

Because of stupid separate state/federal laws, I cant marry anyone without it being illegal, as my gender change was recognized at federal level, but rejected at state level when the Libs sabotaged a bill to modernize Victoria's gender laws. :v:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Because of stupid separate state/federal laws, I cant marry anyone without it being illegal, as my gender change was recognized at federal level, but rejected at state level when the Libs sabotaged a bill to modernize Victoria's gender laws. :v:

Don't give any detail that you're not comfortable with, but what's the situation with federal vs Victoria law?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

I think senator rice is actually legally married to her wife due to some progressive rules around changing birth certificates in the ACT.

But there are plenty of other people born in other states, except SA I think, who can't change their birth certificates without getting divorced. (And as you have clearly experienced, other lovely gatekeeping rules)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Why does freedom of speech attract so many nasty people?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Don't give any detail that you're not comfortable with, but what's the situation with federal vs Victoria law?

Federal is as long as you get your doctor's statement saying you're undergoing treatment.

Victorian laws as they now stand need your existing genitals destroyed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The Before Times posted:

I think senator rice is actually legally married to her wife due to some progressive rules around changing birth certificates in the ACT.

But there are plenty of other people born in other states, except SA I think, who can't change their birth certificates without getting divorced. (And as you have clearly experienced, other lovely gatekeeping rules)

Janet's spoken about this a few times, her wife's birth certificate still says she's male, so they can be married no problem, unless her wife were to change the gender marker on her birth certificate. Then they'd have to get a divorce.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Federal is as long as you get your doctor's statement saying you're undergoing treatment.

That poo poo sucks and im sorry you have to put up with this fuckery.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Janet's spoken about this a few times, her wife's birth certificate still says she's male, so they can be married no problem, unless her wife were to change the gender marker on her birth certificate. Then they'd have to get a divorce.

Oh boo, I thought I had read somewhere that the ACT allows birth certificates to be changed without divorce :(:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Synthbuttrange posted:

gently caress me, because it's a decision people clearly make frivolously all the time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The Before Times posted:

Oh boo, I thought I had read somewhere that the ACT allows birth certificates to be changed without divorce :(:

Maybe they do, but to my knowledge that's something handled by the state that issued the certificate. I believe Rice and her partner are both Victorian natives, so it doesn't help them.

• Locked thread