Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

How what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Bismuth posted:

How what?

Did you get a buzzy bee to land on your finger.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Over There posted:

I picked it up, it sat on my finger for a moment, and buzzed away

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

She's adorable :swoon:

This is probably Bombus vosnesenskii.

Over There posted:

A resting bee will gladly climb onto your finger with little coaxing. Especially if it's a little chilly out.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Busy bee :kimchi:

Those pictures are fantastic.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Speaking of bees (or at least flying stinging things)... Anyone know what these might be (central Florida)?

These ladies have been flying around my dotted horsemint for a couple of weeks now. The top picture is a worker I believe, there's usually dozens of them flying around. The second photo though, I think is the queen, so maybe a traveling hive? She was easily twice the size of the workers, but her stripes were whiteish-yellow instead of orange.

Note to any Florida goons (or anyone in the same hardiness zone): this stuff is the best for attracting pollinators. Since the flowers have blossomed, I have had dozens of bees, this kind and others, all over it every day. It loves full sun too.

tessdaterrible
Nov 4, 2015

Some Weird Sloth

tessdaterrible posted:

I'm defiantly not using a DSLR, if you'll forgive the quality, I wanted to share the critters found this weekend in a vernal pool around Phoenix Arizona. I pulled 14 tadpoles from a drying pool to see what will come out, then will release back to the same area after observation. I believe these to be Mexican Spadefoot(Spea multiplicata), but time will tell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYSBVkxbEFo
They changed already. I can't tell if they are the kind of spadefoot I thought or not though and there's another set of tads which are now larger and no front leg bumps yet.

tessdaterrible fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 26, 2017

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If you don't have enough plant material for them to eat, some will look different because they've turned into cannibals. It helps them get more food so they can turn into adults faster.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skutter posted:

Speaking of bees (or at least flying stinging things)... Anyone know what these might be (central Florida)?

These ladies have been flying around my dotted horsemint for a couple of weeks now. The top picture is a worker I believe, there's usually dozens of them flying around. The second photo though, I think is the queen, so maybe a traveling hive? She was easily twice the size of the workers, but her stripes were whiteish-yellow instead of orange.

Most bees are actually solitary and not eusocial. That is, they live alone instead of in colonies with different castes.

I think your first one is a sweat bee (Family Halictidae), but I'm not confident of that. I have no idea what the second one is. Maybe a cuckoo bee of some kind?

tessdaterrible
Nov 4, 2015

Some Weird Sloth

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

If you don't have enough plant material for them to eat, some will look different because they've turned into cannibals. It helps them get more food so they can turn into adults faster.

Yes! Actually that's what I was looking at when I collected them. I fed them a primarily carnivorous diet intentionally to see how much it condensed transformation time (they went from tads to frogs in less than 14 days) However at the end I had the small ones pictured on nails which were golden in color with brown bumps and larger fatter ones that had a slightly longer transformation time(10-14 days)) and are brown with red spots.
The coloration leads me to believe there were actually two different kind of spadefoot. :)

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Just moved across the country, and the switch from West/Best/Left Coast to eastern US critters is quite exciting. These critters were all on the grounds of the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh, which is pretty rad. Roll call for the other goon(s?) in Pittsburgh I remember Critterquest posting?

These dudes were everywhere outside. Harlequin Bug?

Tons of aphids, and a lot of ladybug larvae hunting them. Not very many adult ladybugs though.

Guessing this is a Brown Marmorated Stinkbug?

Bullfrog?

This little Blue butterfly of some sort was constantly wiggling its hindwing doodads, presumably in a sacrificial bird-bite decoy strategy. Didn't get a look at its unfolded wings.

Cool striped leafhopper. What's the deal with its little droplet in back? Dropping trou?

And finally, I failed to get any sort of ID photo of this cutie since we had a glamour shoot instead.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Some pics from today.

Esp liked this one, only noticed that tiny spider when going through these on computer:

Location is Estonia, Northern Europe

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Alpenglow posted:

Guessing this is a Brown Marmorated Stinkbug?

Cool striped leafhopper. What's the deal with its little droplet in back? Dropping trou?

Ayup. That's the dreaded Halyomorpha halys. It's established here in Europe too, but only a few specimens found yet here in Sweden.

The leafhopper is eating plant juices and needs to get rid of excess fluids. Poop.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Alpenglow posted:

Just moved across the country, and the switch from West/Best/Left Coast to eastern US critters is quite exciting. These critters were all on the grounds of the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh, which is pretty rad. Roll call for the other goon(s?) in Pittsburgh I remember Critterquest posting?

Hello! Welcome to Pittsburgh! I live in Perry North right outside Riverview Park.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Saw this guy running across the floor at work. Tossed a quarter near it for scale. Portland, OR. His legs are pretty fuzzy.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Kp41s

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

its all nice on rice posted:

Saw this guy running across the floor at work. Tossed a quarter near it for scale. Portland, OR. His legs are pretty fuzzy.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Kp41s

I use wood to line all of my flower beds. During the summer time these little grass spiders spend the morning sunning themselves on the wood. It's like hundreds. They're cool little dudes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Thanks! Glad my boss didn't see him or he'd be squished.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Not mine but I can’t get over how wonderful this bird is.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Alpenglow posted:

my cat is norris posted:

Hello! Welcome to Pittsburgh! I live in Perry North right outside Riverview Park.

Most of my posting lately are critters either from up in Sewickley or the riverfront trail.

Like this chubster Eurycea longicauda :3

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ooohhh, lucky find.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

During the Perseids I decided to go out into the middle of no where so I could enjoy the dark skies. Despite being many miles from civilization I was not alone.

I spotted this not so little guy about 50 feet from where I decided to stargaze at.

Also there were lots of these little guys around. They were a lot of fun because moths would flock to the spot I was shining my normal flashlight, so if I found one under UV then switched, he'd almost always get a free meal delivered right to him.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sammus posted:

Also there were lots of these little guys around. They were a lot of fun because moths would flock to the spot I was shining my normal flashlight, so if I found one under UV then switched, he'd almost always get a free meal delivered right to him.

Scorps are the poo poo. I remember using a preserved emperor to show their fluorescence off in zoology labs. Even the ethanol it was preserved in glowed!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I loving love the random-rear end ability to glow in the dark under a blacklight that scorpions have, as if they weren't rad enough already

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Scorps are the poo poo. I remember using a preserved emperor to show their fluorescence off in zoology labs. Even the ethanol it was preserved in glowed!

They're by far the coolest creepycrawly. I grew up in a place without them so now that I have them in my back yard I'm fascinated by them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sammus posted:

They're by far the coolest creepycrawly. I grew up in a place without them so now that I have them in my back yard I'm fascinated by them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychophora :colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Over There posted:

Not mine but I can’t get over how wonderful this bird is.

"I'M BIG-BONED!"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Velvet worms kick rear end because they're actually viscous predators that capture prey by shooting sticky goo at them like little twenty legged spider-mans

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mak0rz posted:

Velvet worms kick rear end because they're actually viscous predators that capture prey by shooting sticky goo at them like little twenty legged spider-mans

Also for being arthropod relatives. :3:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Go back to the ocean where you clearly belong, velvet worm! Shoo!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is this the thread where one posts random animals they find?

Sorry for bad quality, it was very hot so we were sunning ourselves in the shade.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

McGiggins posted:

Is this the thread where one posts random animals they find?

Sorry for bad quality, it was very hot so we were sunning ourselves in the shade.

Want to hug that lizard.

Do you know what it is?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Bearded Dragon, of some description. Not too sure of the details, they're commonplace and thus I have never actually paid a lot of attention to them nor do I know a lot about them.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Here's a bad pic of one of about a dozen hummingbird mimic moths I saw buzzing these flowers in Atlanta:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Lantana is a great plant if you wanna attract all sorts of insects/bees/hummingbirds.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Red Queen posted:

Go back to the ocean where you clearly belong, velvet worm! Shoo!

Unlike every other phylum of animals, velvet worms committed to the terrestrial lifestyle. :colbert:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

JnnyThndrs posted:

Lantana is a great plant if you wanna attract all sorts of insects/bees/hummingbirds.

Yeah, my mom gets loads of clearwings on hers.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Randaconda posted:

Unlike every other phylum of animals, velvet worms committed to the terrestrial lifestyle. :colbert:

but please never forget their noble marine ancestors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjcK7xzv8A

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mak0rz posted:

but please never forget their noble marine ancestors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjcK7xzv8A

Sister-group, it's unknown if that was the stem group. :colbert:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

my cat is norris posted:

Here's a bad pic of one of about a dozen hummingbird mimic moths I saw buzzing these flowers in Atlanta:

Those are so cool. No one every believes me when I tell them about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Randaconda posted:

Sister-group, it's unknown if that was the stem group. :colbert:

I thought it was recently put back with the Onychophera?

http://www.readcube.com/articles/10...v17Zyeptg%3D%3D