Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise presents "The Scarlet Maiden"

I remember reading this one in a collection I got from my library. In the intro it said that O'Donnell almost didn't run this story (I forget why). It's a really good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Someone at Adult Swim should get Boyce a job as creative director on his own show.

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Barkeater Lake

Lucky Cow

Spirit of the Staircase

Back to B.C.

Random Acts of Nancy

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

'nikcurt no peeK

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dammit, forgot yesterday's comics again.

The Classic Dinette Set

Working Daze

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix

For anyone who ever wanted to know why Gilchrist doesn't get sued, this is why.

Tracksuit

You might have gathered by now that the writer of Tracksuit, like most men in Korea, really, really hates mandatory military service.

Incidentally I have no idea what this position is called in English. I'm assuming it's a plank.

Mother From Another Country

Is it just me or has Mother From Another Country felt really "eh" lately?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Julet Esqu posted:

Team Evans shows once again that they have their fingers on the pulse of what's happening with young people today!

The Simpsons made this sushi joke 27 years ago, and it came out of the mouth of a 10 year-old. Also, who doesn't know that caviar is fish eggs? I wish the Evens'eses would make the main characters of this strip half as fun as the "bad" ones.
Midsummer Day Dreams(click for huge)

And He Did. (February, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (December, 1918, click for big)

Fritzi Ritz (November, 1922, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (December, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (November, 1940, click for big)

Dick Tracy (March, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (May, 1941)

Archie (May, 1956, click for big)

Marmaduke (July, 1959)

Mr. Tweedy (August, 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1975, click for big)

Andy Capp (January, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (March, 1972, click for big)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tara: So, you know MY fascinating story. What's yours, Luann?
Luann: ...
Luann: ...
Luann: ... *fart*

Today's featured comment:

A Fan of this Strip posted:

I’m beginning to think Tara is brought to the strip solely to mirror Luann, for her to see herself for who she is – a boring, bland, uninteresting, gutless, unimaginative, not to smart teenager/young adult. Tara is energetic, adventurous, gutsy, curious, creative (except when she says “I’m kidding!”) smarter (she got in at Moony University – universities are harder to get in than community colleges – have to get in by the base score on the ACT Test)…and she has been showcasing all that and gradually, Luann will begin to see that and realize just how opposite she is. She is already crossing off a itch list that is not all that adventurous. Will she then decide she wants to be a different person? Have an epiphany? A life changer. God, I hope so because she is SO boring.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
To be fair, becoming a public school teacher in the US is pretty risky, what with how we love playing political ping-pong with our school systems and all.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Curtis

Baby Blues

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 12, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (January 28, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (February 26, 1924)

Lil' Abner (October 26, 1937)

Barney Google (February 27, 1923)

Alley Oop (May 29, 1934)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And now, the back half of another catch-up post.

Skippy (July 7-9, 1930)

Peanuts (September 6-9, 1970)

Sally Forth

Funky Winkerbean

You know, folks, at long last I am so loving tired of month after month about this motherfucking movie. Let's move on to...

...wait a minute...n-nuh...no...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I TAKE IT BACK! I TAKE IT ALL BACK!

(Aw, godddammit...)

Okay, whaddya got?

Computer, enhance...

Couldn't take that extra minute to dummy up a Les Moore version of your covers, could you?

Meanwhile, Crankshaft gives us "'This Marks The Place Where The Real Joke Will Eventually Go' Theater"

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 25-27, 1931)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The artwork in Skippy is always so wonderful. The way all of the clothing and fabrics are always so droopy and ill-fitting while having really clean lines looks so nice.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
O BRAVE NEW WORLD! O GLORIOUS SHINING AGE!

https://twitter.com/GarfieldFanArt/status/905259745077903360

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I am about a million percent sure that they don't teach cursive writing in school anymore. I know it's a mild nitpick for a Gilchrist Nancy, but it just amazes me how much he manages to make every single strip he produces completely garbage.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 19, 1996)

Anchovies are underrated.

Garfield Classic (January 19, 1986)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Always weirds me out when strips that have children going to school have them go back to school after summer and they return to the exact same classroom with the exact same classmates and the exact same teachers

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Zereth posted:

'nikcurt no peeK

ahahaha

Hjalmar posted:

I am about a million percent sure that they don't teach cursive writing in school anymore. I know it's a mild nitpick for a Gilchrist Nancy, but it just amazes me how much he manages to make every single strip he produces completely garbage.

They do, but every other characterization of sluggo would make him be one of the kids whose print handwriting is illegible and who would be "too lazy" to ever choose to write in cursive.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not exactly. Those self scans are rather snippy about what the stuff you scan weighs, so you can't just toss extra stuff into the bagging area and unless you "forget" something in your cart you aren't stealing anything (easily).

Also, that previous story arch ended as I feared. A big wet fart. What a boring conclusion to a multi-week and arguably multi-year story arc. (Yes they may pick it up again, but the current conclusion is crappy)

Well, until Cooper realises he can now do anything he wants and not get fired.

He has retail immortality.

Also, where I am, they've just turned the scales off on the self serve due to people doing their week's shopping and running out of room on the little platform and having to put some of their stuff on the ground.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 7, 2017

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zereth posted:

'nikcurt no peeK
:lol: Exactly what I thought of. It would make a good poster.

Some Guy TT posted:

Is it just me or has Mother From Another Country felt really "eh" lately?
A little, yeah. I'm pretty forgiving of comic strip creators when it comes to that. F Minus goes through slow periods but then it will be good consistently for a good while.

F Minus

Like I like this one, but it's not slap-nuts funny.

Mark Trail

Please let that windmill fall apart and behead the guy.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Is that someone or just a random Bandar?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G catch-up

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

:lol: Exactly what I thought of. It would make a good poster.
:haw:

I'm sad I couldn't find a website that'd actually reverse the letters themselves, but I didn't look very hard. Nor am I aware if you can actually do that like you can make upside down text.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy poo poo that face.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Anchovies are underrated.
Bad anchovies are awful. Gritty and incredibly salty. Good anchovies are delicious.

Johnny Walker posted:

The Phantom

Is that someone or just a random Bandar?
Random Bandar? Randar.

Other than Guran I don't think any of the Bandar even have names.

What the gently caress is her problem? What is the joke supposed to be here?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

What the gently caress is her problem? What is the joke supposed to be here?

These jerks are making her tip lower by ordering free water instead of $3 sodas or $8 beers

Also, dumb friend is dumb I think but that was actually a decent comeback to a nasty question so idk

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a good comeback, yes.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I wonder if there's a connection in Dustin's author thinking ordering water at a restaurant is a faux pas and him most closely identifying with the character that often has a punchline of "can't just seem to lose weight."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Bloop posted:

These jerks are making her tip lower by ordering free water instead of $3 sodas or $8 beers
If she wants a good tip, she should start by not snarking at the customer's orders. :colbert:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dear Guy Who Writes Dustin,

Young people drink water now. It is not because they are cheap, it is because young people actually like drinking water. It's better for them than soda. Young people order water at restaurants all the time. If the waitress were working there for more than a day, she would be familiar with the concept and not feel the need to get a sick burn on her potential tippers. Have you ever met a young person or a waitress?

Sincerely,
Julet Esqu

1. NO!! Not SEEEEX!!!! Dear God, she's only 18!!
2. Luann, you dumb bitch, you live with a theater person. Your ex boyfriend of a million years was a theater person. You know a person who was in a movie and you may or may not have also been in it. You have an IRL musical about you. gently caress.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Zippy

Ripley's

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Millennials are killing Coca-Cola.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Dear Guy Who Writes Dustin,

Young people drink water now. It is not because they are cheap, it is because young people actually like drinking water. It's better for them than soda. Young people order water at restaurants all the time. If the waitress were working there for more than a day, she would be familiar with the concept and not feel the need to get a sick burn on her potential tippers. Have you ever met a young person or a waitress?

Sincerely,
Julet Esqu
I wonder if this is a "Waitresses are always rude to me, they must be rude to everyone" situation here. Like, he goes to a restaurant and treats everyone as though they are his own person servant and ready to listen to his every inane complaint, and when they respond by treating him like an rear end in a top hat he just assumes that's how wait staff are.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Tiggum posted:

Random Bandar? Randar.

Other than Guran I don't think any of the Bandar even have names.

Mozz has a name. The Phantom even thinks it twice in the strip you quoted.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 14, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (January 29, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (February 27, 1924)

Lil' Abner (October 27, 1937)