Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was just kinda hoping you'd get more book Bev this time around, where she has a reputation as a rough girl that people are too afraid/intimidated by to approach. The idea that she was acting out and driving people away due to fear seated in her relationship with her father was a realistic depiction. She didn't want to be a victim and was exerting the only control a child actually has. That was an issue I had with the original mini-series, where she just went from "delicate, scared girl" to "weird slut vibe adult...?" Book Bev was always bubbling below the surface for the chance to fight back. It's even noted that her ferocity was the primary factor in her success. I really liked that. The spoiler undermines her character's primary motivation for no real reason and it bothers me. Shoulda been Stan.

And yeah, her dad was definitely ramping up to molestation post-puberty. I know a person who went through the same drat thing and when he mentioned "checking," I told myself she could never read this book. She even disliked 10 Cloverfield Lane because it reminded her too much of her relationship with her father. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I was just kinda hoping you'd get more book Bev this time around, where she has a reputation as a rough girl that people are too afraid/intimidated by to approach. The idea that she was acting out and driving people away due to fear seated in her relationship with her father was a realistic depiction. She didn't want to be a victim and was exerting the only control a child actually has. That was an issue I had with the original mini-series, where she just went from "delicate, scared girl" to "weird slut vibe adult...?" Book Bev was always bubbling below the surface for the chance to fight back. It's even noted that her ferocity was the primary factor in her success. I really liked that. The spoiler undermines her character's primary motivation for no real reason and it bothers me. Shoulda been Stan.

And yeah, her dad was definitely ramping up to molestation post-puberty. I know a person who went through the same drat thing and when he mentioned "checking," I told myself she could never read this book. She even disliked 10 Cloverfield Lane because it reminded her too much of her relationship with her father. :(

Yeah, I have a friend in a similar situation. She actually loves horror but the stuff with Bev and her father is entirely too far in the bad direction for her. It's, for all King's weirdness, a surprisingly plausible depiction. I think that can be said about a lot of derry's weirdness which is what makes it sort of stand home. "Adults being lovely and awful to children" is a more believable horror than evil clown mans.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Welp, spoilers coming in so bye bye thread until I see IT.

IT sounds like IT's A-/B+ or 8/10 across the board, but the thing that's encouraging about the reviews is that they're unanimous in this opinion. No one is saying IT sucked and every review basically says "really good" to "very good", if not entirely a masterpiece.

I think I'm gonna go see IT tonight before Irma comes. Thinking I should have the theater largely to myself with everyone in freakout mode and I have nothing else personally left to do except pack my car and evacuate. All my prep is done and it's gonna be cabin fever city for the next 4-6 days so I may as well get out.

FattyPie
Jun 1, 2005

But still delicious!!!!!

BiggerBoat posted:

IT sounds like IT's A-/B+ or 8/10 across the board, but the thing that's encouraging about the reviews is that they're unanimous in this opinion. No one is saying IT sucked and every review basically says "really good" to "very good", if not entirely a masterpiece.

I think I'm gonna go see IT tonight before Irma comes. Thinking I should have the theater largely to myself with everyone in freakout mode and I have nothing else personally left to do except pack my car and evacuate. All my prep is done and it's gonna be cabin fever city for the next 4-6 days so I may as well get out.

I'm gonna go see it tonight too down here in Miami. Stay safe man or we'll float too!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FattyPie posted:

I'm gonna go see it tonight too down here in Miami. Stay safe man or we'll float too!

Not to derail, but you're staying? In Miami? I made that mistake last year in St. Augustine Beach during Matthew and the flood water was a foot from my house. I turned out OK but gently caress doing that poo poo again. I'd get out dude.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Please be safe y'all.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ty1990 posted:

Please be safe y'all.

Thing with this storm is, there's no where to run except "NORTH". I'm gonna make a wax paraffin paper boat and sail IT down the gutter Monday.

FattyPie
Jun 1, 2005

But still delicious!!!!!

BiggerBoat posted:

Not to derail, but you're staying? In Miami? I made that mistake last year in St. Augustine Beach during Matthew and the flood water was a foot from my house. I turned out OK but gently caress doing that poo poo again. I'd get out dude.

I'm a police dispatcher for the county so there's no evacuating for me. Just gotta hope for the best and make that overtime money.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This thing is sold the hell out. Gonna hope for the best on a 10:15.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Stay safe Florida Goons.

Planning to hit the local theater this weekend. I don't think the early/afternoon showings will sell out but then again, my town reminds me of Derry in some ways so who knows.

So insanely excited for this movie. My expectations of getting the book on the screen are well in check and I'm coming at this with an open mind, although the reviews I've read were encouraging.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Das Boo posted:

No, on this note they portrayed her as a 'rough girl' pretty well. I don't think her characterization was too far off the mark really she shoplifts cigarettes, has a reputation, is snarky to the popular girls, quick to be one of the guys and join in with them and intimidated people. She never really seems like "delicate, scared girl" in any way, except when around her father, for obvious reasons so I don't think you need to be worried about that exactly. I do agree about her getting captured, BUT I'm starting to consider giving them the benefit of the doubt because in the story there was always a lot made of her similarity to Audra, and they may be using her getting captured as a kid to parallel Audra getting captured in chapter 2 to have another element that shows the adult tale running parallel to how things went the first time.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hit the weird part of the book.
It won't stop.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Das Boo posted:

I hit the weird part of the book.
It won't stop.

It does eventually. I promise :(

Going to see IT tonight and the only seats left were two in the very back (which we nabbed) and two in the very front row.

This movie is going to do very well.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm avoiding spoilers, but is the spooky stuff pretty much standard fare jumpscare horseshit?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Origami Dali posted:

I'm avoiding spoilers, but is the spooky stuff pretty much standard fare jumpscare horseshit?

A little of A, a little of B. The best parts for me weren't like, loudnoise sudden movement jump scare stuff, but felt like the book i guess? A slowly creeping terror and kids trying to run. There were a couple places of startling movement scares, but most stuff from my memory wasn't what I would consider a jumpscare.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I just got back from this and I thought it was great. The movie starts on a high note, and then never really lets up. The best part to me was that the tone swung wildly from horror to comedic relief in a way that just added to the feeling of discomfort and uncertainty that pervades the whole film. You're never really sure if you're gonna laugh or be scared. The effects were also top-notch, there are some really great bits in here that show off Pennywise's powers.

Hands-down the best part of the experience was when the movie started and after watching some poo poo happen in North Dakota, we realized that they were showing Valley of Bones. Half the theater rushed out to complain and they fixed it fast, but I spent those first 5 minutes very confused.

Also I had no idea they were making the second half of the book into a movie! It seemed like this was gonna be a self-contained story, so that reveal at the end of the movie was very surprising.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The garage scene with the gigantic It - holy poo poo! I did not expect that.

And Skarsgård knocked it out of the park. I cannot wait for the next movie!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

IT was really good. I was taken off guard at how funny IT was which served to make the horror parts even more jarring and really added to keeping you off balance. I could nit pick IT, since there are flaws, and I'll write a longer review later but I think they did a really great job on this film.

Totally worth seeing.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
This was mediocre at best. So many early scenes felt inconsequential. The girl almost gets pulled down a bathroom sink drain, and a few scenes later everyone is cleaning the bathroom while some hipster song plays. Lmao girl you almost died and now you want to have a cleaning party? Actually, wtf was with the modern soundtrack? I thought this was supposed to be a horror movie

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

if Finn Wolfhard isn't a New Young Star between this and Stranger Things, he should be

also I also loved the little background motif of the kids' TV show, and the payoff with Henry was great. also the fact that they cast a guy who looked a lot like Scut Farkas from A Christmas Story helped.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It really is amazing what goons will complain about. The movie was loving awesome and any little changes from the book are fine. Go see this movie immediately.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This was a really, really solid adaptation - one of the best things that I can say about it as a raving King fan is that many of the changes are actually super, super smart.

My favorite thing (spoilers for a well-known scene, but still): I really, really love the logic they construct around the bathroom scene this time. They do a much better job, in general, of grounding where the Losers' individual fears come from - aside from Ritchie's, which is a little better framed in the novel. In Bev's case, they front her anxiety over her first period, and the unsettling implication of her interactions with her father as a result, to really make the bloody sink/bathroom scene make so much more sense thematically. Just a really brilliant change.

Honestly can't wait for the next movie - if some studio chud decides this doesn't do well enough or whatever to greenlight that poo poo immediately then gently caress Hollywood forever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

This was a really, really solid adaptation - one of the best things that I can say about it as a raving King fan is that many of the changes are actually super, super smart.

My favorite thing (spoilers for a well-known scene, but still): I really, really love the logic they construct around the bathroom scene this time. They do a much better job, in general, of grounding where the Losers' individual fears come from - aside from Ritchie's, which is a little better framed in the novel. In Bev's case, they front her anxiety over her first period, and the unsettling implication of her interactions with her father as a result, to really make the bloody sink/bathroom scene make so much more sense thematically. Just a really brilliant change.

Honestly can't wait for the next movie - if some studio chud decides this doesn't do well enough or whatever to greenlight that poo poo immediately then gently caress Hollywood forever.

The theater I saw it in clapped out loud when Bev brained her dad with the toilet lid

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Should have realized there's be a thread. Absolutely loved this.

Serf posted:

I just got back from this and I thought it was great. The movie starts on a high note, and then never really lets up. The best part to me was that the tone swung wildly from horror to comedic relief in a way that just added to the feeling of discomfort and uncertainty that pervades the whole film. You're never really sure if you're gonna laugh or be scared. The effects were also top-notch, there are some really great bits in here that show off Pennywise's powers.

Yeah, I really loved the willingness of the movie to be funny. And man does it move like hell. Doesn't feel like a two-and-a-quarter hour movie.

I literally bought the last available ticket for my showing. There were people sitting on the floor in the back of the theater. Which made for a great setting to see it, it plays great to a crowd.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Muschietti repping Modigliani yet again, I love it.

This did play great with a crowd, tho I'd have to deduct half a star for robbing us of Eddie's delivery of BATTERY ACID, FUCKNUTS

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nroo posted:

Muschietti repping Modigliani yet again, I love it.

This did play great with a crowd, tho I'd have to deduct half a star for robbing us of Eddie's delivery of BATTERY ACID, FUCKNUTS

This is part of one of my few big disappointments it was such a critical part of the book that IT's powers were a double edged sword, while it used imagination to terrify and kill, imagination could be used against it just as well. So eddie's acid spray, silver slugs, using joke voices and itching powder, all of that was really important for explaining how they could fight some ancient eternal supernatural evil. The movie had none of it and I wish they would have at least had him spray it, there were so many places for him to do that too. I felt positive when it had him alone in the neibolt house he would do it any second and kept waiting, but it just never happened.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Got back from a late showing - Muschetti was the perfect director for this film and I can't stress that enough. This movie is gonna annihilate this weekend.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

No one is saying IT sucked and every review basically says "really good" to "very good", if not entirely a masterpiece.

I am going to say it sucked.

I did not read the book but I would be shocked if SK had written in every possible movie trope and cliche.

The theatre experience was okay but glasses kid needed to get eaten or taken or whatever so he would shut the hell up. Him saying Dick or gently caress went from heh to lame to annoying pretty drat fast. I don't know why this movie feels like I need to slam a comedy break every 5 minutes like I'm Tony Hawk guzzling gogurt. That was distracting enough from the horror trope that I stopped caring about the movie.

E: I will fully cop to being a hater

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I don't think Bev was just a damsel in distress. Yes she is the one that needed to be rescued, but she is the one that saved everyone the first time and did the most damage in the second fight. She was so fearless that It couldn't even feed off of her. The point was that they needed to stick together to survive. Hell, It may have seen her as the biggest threat so he went after her first.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The movie implies the sequel will be called "IT: Chapter 2", btw.

Anyway, they did represent the thing about It being vulnerable to imagination, though it was easy to miss: when Bill shoots it with the empty slaughterhouse rod-gun, its head caves in in response to nothing.

The movie was decent, not perfect. It was at its best when it took its time, let things breathe and build up, showed us the kids' normal-ish lives. The ~~spooky scenes~~ were a bit too densely packed, and while the exact form of whatever scared each kid varied, the way those scenes were paced was usually the same every time. The exposition scenes tended to feel rushed and clunky. That being said, they fit a LOT of movie in there without it feeling bloated or confusing, and the kids were uniformly great.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw it on DBox. I felt really awkward when the seats started going back and forth during the rape scene and everyone else was stationary lol.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 8, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

:stare: Did this movie really need robo-seats?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No it was kinda lame. Mostly would be used on the bike scenes and when what's his names mom comes get him. Those were cool. Some other slight cool things but the rape part felt real awkward

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 8, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tom Guycot posted:

This is part of one of my few big disappointments it was such a critical part of the book that IT's powers were a double edged sword, while it used imagination to terrify and kill, imagination could be used against it just as well. So eddie's acid spray, silver slugs, using joke voices and itching powder, all of that was really important for explaining how they could fight some ancient eternal supernatural evil. The movie had none of it and I wish they would have at least had him spray it, there were so many places for him to do that too. I felt positive when it had him alone in the neibolt house he would do it any second and kept waiting, but it just never happened.

They did that, it was just played down. The unloaded spring-gun, whatever you call it, and that the Losers brought rusty spikes with them because hell, if it stopped IT even briefly the first time, rusty spikes must be its weakness!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I suppose they did it with the gun, I had forgotten about that since it was barely acknowledged really. It just... eh... I mean the same thing happened in the book with bev pretending she had another slug, but there was SO much more of a point about it in the book. The movie was packed as it is, but I think they should have found a place to throw in the kids making silver slugs, that was such a perfect child's mentality about killing a monster and would have given them some more concrete steps taken regarding what to do about IT, instead of it feeling so rushed and off the cuff. Heck the kids could have had a minute of dialogue when discussing what they could even do about IT with one of them mentioning they read somewhere iron kills demons or something, then the rod thing would have been perfect, instead of just seeming like they were getting random lead pipes to bash it with like some mafia leg breakers. I could nit pick things endlessly though, it's my favorite book of all time so I'm always going to be disappointed this or that wasn't in ( I wanted ben to build them a dam, drat it! ).

I'm really hoping we get like a 3 hour directors cut when it comes out on blu ray :P.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 8, 2017

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Just loving realized the movie made Mike a Killer of Sheep...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Just loving realized the movie made Mike a Killer of Sheep...

Yessir

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Legitimately met or exceeded my expectations. Solid kid casting, good kid dialogue, pretty nice horror. I was kind of guarded by the trailers that showed off some fast scares but they balanced it all well to my tastes. They even had the patience to put in coming of age stuff which came off well.

I'm pretty pleased.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Bev got nearly all of the cheers at my 10pm showing.

Pacing wise, I think having to meet the quota for terrorizing each of the kids made Act 2 feel a bit too mechanical, but overall pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I absolutely loving loved IT. I had a few lurches in my stomach over the plot changes, but it was still a fine movie in the end. They got the feel of the Losers Club, and Pennywise was a goddamned *demon* , just as he should have been.

• Locked thread