Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I've never been the biggest fan of Maron's stand-up despite being such a devotee of his podcast that I never skip the intro OR the guitar playing. But like the rest of you, I thought this newest special was so drat good. The hat bit was perfect. I just wish he didn't repeat it with the children's book part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I was at the taping for the Maron special back in April. Here's my dumb story.

My wife and I had tickets in the front of the balcony. A block of seats in the front row opened up way after the tickets went on general sale. Was surprised as hell that they were available and nabbed them quick. Got there in plenty of time and took our seats. Since they were filming, they made a point of telling you to use the bathroom if you had to and to make sure you had drinks if you wanted them. A woman came in with a drink and sat in the seat next to my wife. She talked to my wife for a bit - had driven up from outside of Chicago just for the show, mentioned a few other comedians she liked, general small talk. She had a whiskey of some sort with her and seemed a little buzzed but didn't seem noticeably drunk or anything. Stage guy came out, said they'd be starting soon and reiterated their stay in you seats please don't be a dumb poo poo request, please cheer a bunch when Marc comes out, etc.

The lights go down. And random girl apparently flips a switch and is now wasted. It's dark in the theater, fairly quiet, so the woman next to us starts doing bird calls. Not a loud sudden "WOOOO!" or a whistle. Bird noises. Huh.

Show starts, Marc comes out, people (including the stranger) cheers wildly and he starts in on his set. I'm guessing it was around the 10 minute mark that the woman next to us is completely passed out - leaning forward with her head in her arms on the balcony railing. Drove from Chicago, came to the show, and passed out within minutes. At various times during the set she would alternate between head down on the railing and pulling her knees up to her chest and being passed out in her chair. At one point, the remains of that last drink get spilled onto her purse on the floor.

Show goes on. Marc kills. As previously mentioned as a possibility - they was to re-shoot the intro. Stay in your seats please - pretend you're excited, etc. Lights go down, audience quiets down and it starts again. Only this time, the big round of applause as Marc comes out wakes our neighbor up. She looks around a bit confused, sees everyone clapping, Marc is coming on stage, and oh hey the show must be starting. She just starts clapping and woo!ing. For the reshoot, Marc came out, sat down and repeated the first few minutes of the set. Then he just stopped, that's a wrap, thanks for coming out, etc. People go nuts again, and I swear to poo poo the woman next to me looked so drat baffled.

Long story short, the person completely passed out next to us is why I'm guessing that we're not in any of the audience shots of the special. Guess I should check it out to verify.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
That's kind of sad

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Haverchuck posted:

That's kind of sad

To some extent, but self inflicted at least. Assuming hotel and gas - it likely cost her a few hundred bucks to be there.

Another story about being at tapings, but some friends and I got a woman kicked out of the club just prior to the filming of David Cross' "The Pride is Back" back in 1999. Pro tip : Don't announce your intention to make a spectacle of yourself in a lovely attempt to get on HBO while waiting outside in line with nerds that are actually into the act.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

I was at the taping for the Maron special back in April. Here's my dumb story.

My wife and I had tickets in the front of the balcony. A block of seats in the front row opened up way after the tickets went on general sale. Was surprised as hell that they were available and nabbed them quick. Got there in plenty of time and took our seats. Since they were filming, they made a point of telling you to use the bathroom if you had to and to make sure you had drinks if you wanted them. A woman came in with a drink and sat in the seat next to my wife. She talked to my wife for a bit - had driven up from outside of Chicago just for the show, mentioned a few other comedians she liked, general small talk. She had a whiskey of some sort with her and seemed a little buzzed but didn't seem noticeably drunk or anything. Stage guy came out, said they'd be starting soon and reiterated their stay in you seats please don't be a dumb poo poo request, please cheer a bunch when Marc comes out, etc.

The lights go down. And random girl apparently flips a switch and is now wasted. It's dark in the theater, fairly quiet, so the woman next to us starts doing bird calls. Not a loud sudden "WOOOO!" or a whistle. Bird noises. Huh.

Show starts, Marc comes out, people (including the stranger) cheers wildly and he starts in on his set. I'm guessing it was around the 10 minute mark that the woman next to us is completely passed out - leaning forward with her head in her arms on the balcony railing. Drove from Chicago, came to the show, and passed out within minutes. At various times during the set she would alternate between head down on the railing and pulling her knees up to her chest and being passed out in her chair. At one point, the remains of that last drink get spilled onto her purse on the floor.

Show goes on. Marc kills. As previously mentioned as a possibility - they was to re-shoot the intro. Stay in your seats please - pretend you're excited, etc. Lights go down, audience quiets down and it starts again. Only this time, the big round of applause as Marc comes out wakes our neighbor up. She looks around a bit confused, sees everyone clapping, Marc is coming on stage, and oh hey the show must be starting. She just starts clapping and woo!ing. For the reshoot, Marc came out, sat down and repeated the first few minutes of the set. Then he just stopped, that's a wrap, thanks for coming out, etc. People go nuts again, and I swear to poo poo the woman next to me looked so drat baffled.

Long story short, the person completely passed out next to us is why I'm guessing that we're not in any of the audience shots of the special. Guess I should check it out to verify.

I also noticed during the standing ovation at the end, one of the aisle seats in the front row was empty. I've attended tapings where they reshoot the ending (Neal Brennan, another Netflix special everyone should watch) but I figured they'd just have a PA sit in the chair if somebody left or if the seat was used by a cameraman.

Marc's Splitsider interview said he and the director purposely had no reaction shots of the audience during the special, though, so that's why you're not in any of the shots.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 8, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Agreed on the Neal Brennan comment. That special was strong.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Yeah I loved when he read tweets off index cards he looked down before even finishing delivering.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Frankie Boyle put his new show up as a free download, if anyone's into his act.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

St. Dogbert posted:

Whos's on stage? Nihilist political Frankie or more "What's the actual most hosed up thing I can say" Frankie?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Not Operator posted:

Whos's on stage? Nihilist political Frankie or more "What's the actual most hosed up thing I can say" Frankie?

¿por que no los dos?

tho if thats not possible, id prefer the former too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

review here, sounds to be an excellent set

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/aug/08/frankie-boyle-eicc-review-edinburgh-festival

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Not Operator posted:

Having just listened to it, both at the same time. It's really good, well worth downloading.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Marc's Splitsider interview said he and the director purposely had no reaction shots of the audience during the special, though, so that's why you're not in any of the shots.

Absolutely hope this becomes a trend

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was watching a Kinison special on HBO and the audience shots are honestly the best loving part.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Slotducks posted:

Absolutely hope this becomes a trend

I dunno man. I like when the comedian makes a joke about Asians and it cuts to some Asian dude.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

This is pretty cool.

Still haven't seen the final product myself, but like the idea. I just assumed I wasn't going to be in any shots since I was sitting next to a passed out person. If there's no shots to be in at all, all the better.

Side note - caught Maria Bamford last weekend. Pretty good, though a lot of the material was included in Old Baby. There's something about thinking about how much my parents would loving hate her act that makes it even funnier to me.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Haverchuck posted:

That's kind of sad

It reminds me of Craig Ferguson's story of when he went to see Blue Oyster Cult.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hey JFL42 starts this week in Toronto. Anybody going? I bought the big pass so I can go to the daytime stuff and lots of shows. Seeing Mulaney on Thursday night, plus Brian Posehn, Jenny Slate, Rhys Darby, Kyle Kinane and others... and that's just this weekend, doesn't even factor next week in. They also finally made an app this year so it's less of a pain in the dick to get things booked and whatnot.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Going for next weekend. If you book through the app, they maybe shoulda put it out a while ago.

I like the festival and it is cheaper with the credits and less popular/crowded than Montreal (also lesser acts) but it is a pain to organise tickets for a group.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah they only released the app yesterday or today but you can still use the website like years previous. The app also has "achievements" but there's no indication of what they are... I guess I will find out when I unlock them but I think it's something like a free coffee at whatever store, that sort of thing.

I used to try and organize a lot of people going together but it's too hard, I just go to what I want and if friends are going to any of the shows, great.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

St. Dogbert posted:

God drat is he capable of some brutal one liners. "Tories hate coming second, which is why they only gently caress children."

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

New Patton Oswalt is on Netflix for everyone who lives under a rock. It's great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gramps posted:

New Patton Oswalt is on Netflix for everyone who lives under a rock. It's great.

It might be the best of his career.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, I'd put it this way, if you thought his previous poo poo was funny, you will like this one as well.

I, uh, chuckled twice, I guess? The dead wife stories held my interest, at least, he should do that more often.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It might be the best of his career.

Faint praise

I mean I like the guy but he's not really that funny

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

Faint praise

I mean I like the guy but he's not really that funny

He's pretty good on Twitter. He'd probably host a mean podcast.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Megazver posted:

He's pretty good on Twitter. He'd probably host a mean podcast.

googled & found this, its alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4cHWDTNWBs

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Megazver posted:

Well, I'd put it this way, if you thought his previous poo poo was funny, you will like this one as well.

I, uh, chuckled twice, I guess? The dead wife stories held my interest, at least, he should do that more often.

He talks about killing his wife?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Louis C.K. Crossed a Line Into Sexual Misconduct, 5 Women Say | New York Times

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh that thing people have been talking about for years but for some reason never actually got taken seriously.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yep.

I look forward to him talking about it on his next special.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It really is the most CK sexual harassment story possible.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
There is new information in that article though. It's pretty damning. gently caress you Louie :(

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

sexpig by night posted:

oh that thing people have been talking about for years but for some reason never actually got taken seriously.

There was a counter-rumor to the open secret saying it was a practical joke in the comedy circuit to accuse comedians of jerking off in front of women, and CK was just the most recent person accused of it essentially at random. I don't know how widespread it was, but people are inclined to believe hand-wavey explanations like that if they find out one of their heroes is accused of something like this. Notaro bringing it up as a serious issue and CK's refusal to answer any questions about it after the Weinstein story broke had me thinking he was going to face a reckoning sometime soon.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There was a counter-rumor to the open secret saying it was a practical joke in the comedy circuit to accuse comedians of jerking off in front of women, and CK was just the most recent person accused of it essentially at random. I don't know how widespread it was, but people are inclined to believe hand-wavey explanations like that if they find out one of their heroes is accused of something like this. Notaro bringing it up as a serious issue and CK's refusal to answer any questions about it after the Weinstein story broke had me thinking he was going to face a reckoning sometime soon.

Yeah, I was thinking about it yesterday, hours before it got 'out' in the media.
It's weird how long things like that can linger on without people caring too much.

About that, how come family guy had that kevin spacey joke a decade ago? I don't really follow the news about these things,
but I suppose there were rumors too then?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

mrfart posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about it yesterday, hours before it got 'out' in the media.
It's weird how long things like that can linger on without people caring too much.

About that, how come family guy had that kevin spacey joke a decade ago? I don't really follow the news about these things,
but I suppose there were rumors too then?

I feel like I heard Rapp tell more or less the same story before. I guess it's just the political climate right now that is making people take this seriously. I mean, as long as you're not a republican politician I guess.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Dan Harmon said on his latest podcast that basically if you work in Hollywood you already knew about Spacey.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I am just some random scrub in Eastern Europe and I'd heard Spacey was gay and notorious for hitting on every attractive dude in his vicinity just from reading some "what are celebs like in real life?" threads. But, of course, that's still far away from "oh and he tried to rape some".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

welp no more louis ck for me i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006