Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mak0rz posted:

I thought it was recently put back with the Onychophera?

http://www.readcube.com/articles/10...v17Zyeptg%3D%3D

Well, I stand corrected. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

We beheld each other.

Fairly sure this worker is an example of Apis mellifera ligustica. She's crawling around less than a meter from a pair of Carniolan hives, so she was likely scouting to see if her hive could stage a robbery.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
These azalea caterpillars were happy to pose for the camera

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Flambeau posted:

Those are beautiful! Very nice picture.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Flambeau posted:

Wow! I've never seen these bugs before. What a good shot, too!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mak0rz posted:

Velvet worms kick rear end because they're actually viscous predators that capture prey by shooting sticky goo at them like little twenty legged spider-mans

:haw:

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks, y'all! I'd never seen them before either, but there were dozens devouring the bush.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hah. I didn't even realize I did that! I want to blame swipe typing but the gestures for "vicious" and "viscous" are pretty different :downs:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I thought it was on purpose. :shobon:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cool mystery bug from VA

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

Cool mystery bug from VA

I feel like every time I'm out in the woods here in VA there's always a bug I've never seen before. :3:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

poverty goat posted:

Cool mystery bug from VA

Those antennae are so fancy! :wotwot:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

poverty goat posted:

Cool mystery bug from VA

Euphoria inda?
what a chunky cute lil friend :kimchi:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

vaguely posted:

Euphoria inda?
what a chunky cute lil friend :kimchi:

quote:

They are commonly attracted in late summer to the bacterial ooze produced by infection of many trees.

He was hanging out right next to a dish where I was evaporating isopropanol from a weed extract solution, attracted both to the alcohol and the euphoria

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Was watering my plants when this little dude crawled out of one of the pots. Sorry for almost drowning you, moth friend!

He hopped up onto my leg for a minute then back onto the plant. He was heavier than I thought he'd be.

Any ID? I'm in Eastern Ontario and he wasn't actually that tiny, he was over an inch long.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Congratulations, you've got Armyworms!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1TjCphXE

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Congratulations, you've got Armyworms!

Hooray!

It was just hanging out in some of my potted pansies out on the balcony, so not really an issue since they'll be dead soon anyway and I doubt it grew up there as much as just landed and got caught up in the watering.

Not my problem!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

We beheld each other.

Fairly sure this worker is an example of Apis mellifera ligustica. She's crawling around less than a meter from a pair of Carniolan hives, so she was likely scouting to see if her hive could stage a robbery.

bees

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This frog hid out from Irma behind some storm shutters.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That is a strange frog, never seen one like that before that wasn't a toad.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

It's a Cuban tree frog, an invasive species that eats natives.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Sammus posted:

Also there were lots of these little guys around. They were a lot of fun because moths would flock to the spot I was shining my normal flashlight, so if I found one under UV then switched, he'd almost always get a free meal delivered right to him.
I was thinking of doing this in my front yard and back yard. I just found another scorpion in my house. I was half asleep, and managed to miss the scorpion by a foot while walking around bare foot.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

El Burbo posted:

This frog hid out from Irma behind some storm shutters.

i had one behind a shutter too. it's recommended you destroy them but i don't have the heart to hurt a critter :shobon:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So these are really supposed to be an uncommon bug where I live but, what do you know, another Valley Mantis did a photo-shoot with me!:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

OneTwentySix posted:

It's a Cuban tree frog, an invasive species that eats natives.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i had one behind a shutter too. it's recommended you destroy them but i don't have the heart to hurt a critter :shobon:

I would not have the courage to smoosh a frog on purpose

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

In fairness I doubt culling individuals you incidentally encounter is gonna have a real impact on an invasive species so I wouldn't stress about it.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Oh poo poo!

On Sunday I saw what I thought was a dead possum in my trash bin. It was playing possum really well, it was covered in flies, and I just thought "gently caress it, not dealing with that, I'll just wait for the trash guys to make their next round."

Looked into the bin earlier today, and holy gently caress! Little dude is still alive!

I tipped the bin over so he could get out but obviously he's dehydrated as gently caress and hungry so I put a bowl of water in there and some wet cat food. Hopefully he'll make a speedy recovery and come chill in my backyard. :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Congrats on your new trash cat :)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Literally A Person posted:

So these are really supposed to be an uncommon bug where I live but, what do you know, another Valley Mantis did a photo-shoot with me!:

I love the mantis photo shoots. She's so sassy :sparkles:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Opossum fact: all Australian marsupials are believed, according to DNA studies, to have descended from a single species of South American opossum that walked to Australia before Australia hosed off to the opposite side of the planet

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Enfys posted:

I love the mantis photo shoots. She's so sassy :sparkles:

They seem to be as curious about me as I am of them. They never seem to have any problem with the attention.

Bugs are so stinkin' cool!

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Literally A Person posted:

They seem to be as curious about me as I am of them. They never seem to have any problem with the attention.

Bugs are so stinkin' cool!

Praying mantids give no fucks. A few weeks ago I saw (probably a juvenile) one right outside my door, picked it up, it crawled all the way up my arm and onto the top of my head where it chilled while I watered the plants.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Found a pelican, they're like pigeons around here.

Apologies for potato quality, it was a moving series of shots into the sun, not much I could do about it.

Gallery: Pelican

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Was waiting for the bus when this giant nightmare bug started flying around. I watched it as it landed and then proceeded to dig a hole. Upon further inspection there were many of them in this little hill by the bus stop, all doing some sort of hole maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9aoPE4frzI

What is this and what's the deal with the holes? Are all the holes connected underground? Do they all just dig themselves some holes close together? Does every bug get its own hole?

Sorry about loud traffic sounds, probably better with no sound.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Some variety of parasitoid wasp. There are many, many, many that do that kind of thing. The basic idea is she (those are females) digs a hole then flies off to find her preferred prey. They tend to be particular in their tastes, hunting only a single family or even genus or species of prey; often it's spiders but some specialize in, say, Buprestid beetles. She stings her victim, paralyzing it, then brings it back to her hole. She lays one egg on the paralyzed victim, then either fills in the hole and does it all again, or goes to get another victim and lays another egg, piling them up until the hole is full at which point she'll cap it off and probably start a new hole. Keeping the existing hole neat & tidy as the bodies pile up is also something she needs to do, hence the hole maintenance you're seeing.

They tend to be particular about the soil or whatever they build their nests in, dry sandy soils are easy for her to dig into which is why you often find this going on at disturbed bits of waste ground - the pile of leftover soil beside a construction site or where road or sidewalk building / maintenance has been happening. Baseball diamonds are also a good place to find them, the exposed soil is exactly what she's looking for.

EDIT: The holes almost certainly do not connect underground. They've each got their own hole, they're just together like that because that's the best patch of soil for them in the area.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That is awesome and terrifying.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What type of caterpillar is this? I'm in southeastern US, eastern Alabama to be specific.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CW5kq

He's all green with what looks like little orange dots and feels like single stiff hairs sticking out of each of the dots. He has ten pairs of legs. The right side is his head.

Edit:quality got hosed up uploading to imgur, going to try to fix it.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 18, 2017

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What type of caterpillar is this? I'm in southeastern US, eastern Alabama to be specific.

https://imgur.com/gallery/CW5kq

He's all green with what looks like little orange dots and feels like single stiff hairs sticking out of each of the bristles. He has five pairs of legs. The right side is his head.

Edit:quality got hosed up uploading to imgur, going to try to fix it.

Polyphemus caterpillar. That one is done eating and looking for an out of the way spot with some leaf litter and twigs to spin it's cocoon. Will emerge in the spring as an owl-eyed moth the size of your hand.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/427

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

We had a visitor at the apartment the other night! :neckbeard:

This is the first one that my fiance has ever seen in the wild, and the first one I've seen alive in a really long time (that wasn't hatched in someone's garden, anyway). As far as I know, he/she stayed to hunt the door moth party for awhile, and then safely hosed off to his/her next adventure. Any particular ID on this one? We're in Pittsburgh, PA, though I'll note that our neighbor a couple of blocks away installed some oothecae into her garden that definitely hatched, so who knows where this visitor calls home...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

We had a visitor at the apartment the other night! :neckbeard:

I have trouble with mantis ID since there are so many introduced species, but it appears to be a male given the general skinny shape and functional wings.

Ever see bats around Pittsburgh? I was very depressed to hear about the extent of White-nose on Pennsylvania populations, but saw 3 tonight! They were pretty big and out during dusk, so I'm guessing they were Big Brown Bats. :3: