Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I believe DoN only doubles stuff on the base action you use it on, not extra effects. Or so that's how I read the FAQ, I could be wrong.

Still a great card. And yeah rex is borderline broken. Just keep him away from combat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

alansmithee posted:

I believe DoN only doubles stuff on the base action you use it on, not extra effects. Or so that's how I read the FAQ, I could be wrong.

Still a great card. And yeah rex is borderline broken. Just keep him away from combat...

It was FAQd to double the results of an action but not any reactions to a successful skill test. This means if the result is baked into the action through skill cards it'll be doubled. Rex, Dr. Milan Christopher, or Scavenging wouldn't be doubled because they occur are triggered "after you successfully . . .".

Edit: One unintuitive interaction, Seeking Answers + Rex gets you one clue at your current location and one at an adjacent location. He also doesn't combo particularly well with Deciphered Reality. Neither does deduction, since it specifically gives you an additional clue at your location.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 6, 2017

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

It was FAQd to double the results of an action but not any reactions to a successful skill test. This means if the result is baked into the action through skill cards it'll be doubled. Rex, Dr. Milan Christopher, or Scavenging wouldn't be doubled because they occur "after you successfully . . .".

So is the word "after" the key thing to look out for?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

So is the word "after" the key thing to look out for?

From the FAQ:

quote:

I have committed Double or Nothing (TDL 26) and Perception (Core 90) to a skill test during an investigation, and I also have Dr. Milan Christopher (Core 33) in play. If I succeed, which effects are resolved twice?

The effects of a successful skill test are applied during step 7, and Double or Nothing causes each of these affects to be resolved twice. Dr. Milan Christopher’s ability is a reaction to succeeding at a skill test, and therefore is triggered and resolved during step 6, after success is determined. During step 7, the game result of the investigation (discovering 1 clue), and the “if this test is successful” result of Perception are both resolved twice due to Double or Nothing’s effect.

If a card has a trigger, like Rex or Dr. Milan (the circular arrow or lightning bolt), you only get it once. If it is part of the check (skill cards, weapons) it is doubled.

Edit: I think double or nothing is mostly trash with a single investigator since it is a dead card if you can't beat the doubled check (it isn't optional). Being able to tell the group "hey, if you overpower/perception/guts you'll get two cards back instead of one" really changes things and encourages teamwork.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 6, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rules q: Say I have an ally with 2 Stamina 2 Horror. I get 3 Horror and 2 Stamina damage from some big baddie. What are my options for assigning this damage?

Can I split the damage as I see fit? I take 2 Horror and 1 Stamina, Ally takes 1 Horror and 1 Stamina? Or is my only splitting option the individual horror and stamina buckets, like I take the horror ally takes the stamina?

If not, does the ally take 2 horror and goes insane, and nothing happens with the 3rd? Or does the 3rd roll over to me?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Rules q: Say I have an ally with 2 Stamina 2 Horror. I get 3 Horror and 2 Stamina damage from some big baddie. What are my options for assigning this damage?

Can I split the damage as I see fit? I take 2 Horror and 1 Stamina, Ally takes 1 Horror and 1 Stamina? Or is my only splitting option the individual horror and stamina buckets, like I take the horror ally takes the stamina?

If not, does the ally take 2 horror and goes insane, and nothing happens with the 3rd? Or does the 3rd roll over to me?

You can split damage as you see fit.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KPC_Mammon posted:

You can split damage as you see fit.

But it does all have to get assigned, which makes sense.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Except when the worst word of the game is involved: "Direct".

:gonk:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Steve2911 posted:

I picked up Curse of the Rougarou so I'm tempted to use it as a side quest before act 3, but I'm conscious of how many drat monsters there are in it from my brief skim and the fact that my character's already limping like a kicked dog.

Oh god this was a terrible idea. I gained nothing but a crippling weakness.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

Oh god this was a terrible idea. I gained nothing but a crippling weakness.

My plan for the side quests (well maybe quest, as I only own carnevale) is between mythos pack 2 and 3 of dunwich, which I hear is thematically and power level sensible.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Newbie player question that I cannot answer, RAW: Daisy draws a number of cards equal to the number of Tomes on her deck at the start of the game each time she gets an Elder Sign. Yay or Nay?

From the Rulebook:

- A player controls the cards located in his or her out-of-play game areas (such as the hand, deck, discard pile).
- Cards by default enter play under their owner’s control. Some abilities may cause cards to change control during a game
- A card’s owner is the player whose deck (or game area) held the card at the start of the game.

And Daisy's ability:

- [Elder Sign] effect: +0. If you succeed, draw 1 card for each Tome you control.

EDIT: I know the answer is "you draw a card for each Tome you have on the table", but gently caress FFG rulebooks.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 7, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It could have been written a bit better, yeah Maybe "owns" vs. "controls" to differentiate, or "controls in play".

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can I get some feedback on the Rex and Zoey decks I created to enter Dunwich with as a 2P campaign? I'm gratuitously proxying cards at this point because I'm not buying a second core, and I want to use Fire Axes in both decks (I think).

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/2732/rex-murphy-start-of-dunwich-blind-1.0

My thoughts here are to capitalize on Higher Education after the first scenario, of course. I'm highly hesitant to include Burglary, as it seems like a highly inefficient card and I'm hoping that I have enough resource generation through Milan. Elusive is kind of my get out of jail free card if I get overwhelmed with enemies at some point, and Rabbit's foot is a fun-of to increase card draw. Fire Axe just seems like a very good weapon, and something to keep on hand when I need to kill something, and I've got a plan! seems like a good way to assist in taking out a big baddie or a large enemy locked on to me. A card that intrigues me is Seeking Answers, but I'm not sure if it is needed, and also Delve too Deep as a way to maximize XP gain for a bit.

Zoey: https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/2733/zoey-samaras-start-of-dunwich-blind-1.0

I'm less sure on this one. Since I've never played with Zoey and through Dunwich at all, it's pretty speculative. Obviously a heavy damage-dealing focus, but I want to be able to heal up people and upgraded Beat Cops so I threw in the far more efficient looking Emergency Aid over First Aid. There is a big combo around Double or Nothing and Fire Axe, of course. There are some questionable one-ofs, but a singleton prepared for the worst seems sufficient to dig for a fire axe or other weapon later, Dynamite Blast for emergencies, Manual Dexterity for a speed test or emergency evade, etc. The singleton Taunt seems questionable and should maybe be a 2-of, but I am hoping Rex's 2 copies of Elusive cover for him? Lucky is there for failed attacks when I really need them to hit.

EDIT: Also with the Double or Nothing chat - Rex cannot use it, if that wasn't already made clear. It's a Fortune card.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 7, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

EDIT: Also with the Double or Nothing chat - Rex cannot use it, if that wasn't already made clear. It's a Fortune card.

Someone else uses it on his check.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KPC_Mammon posted:

Someone else uses it on his check.

Noice.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

To answer your deck building questions, I don't think Rex needs a fire axe. Zoey is good enough at killing monsters that I've found Mind Over Matter, I've Got A Plan, and eventually Strange Solution are more than enough to aid in combat. As previously mentioned I love quick thinking, especially if Zoey takes Double or Nothing. Burglary is a waste of time, Milan gives you more than enough money when most of the good seeker cards are super cheap already. Seeking Answers doesn't synergize with Rex's special ability (you don't get two clues from the other location) so I've always skipped it.

Zoey is garbage at clue finding if you don't splash mystic and some of the scenarios focus more on investigation than combat. I think using your limited selection of non-guardian cards to pick up a weapon is a waste when you already have access to Machete and Lightning Gun.

Edit: Prepared for the worst is a great way to make the first copy of Lightning Gun you're able to afford a lot easier to find, so I agree on taking it.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 7, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

ShaneB posted:

Zoey: https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/2733/zoey-samaras-start-of-dunwich-blind-1.0

I'm less sure on this one. Since I've never played with Zoey and through Dunwich at all, it's pretty speculative. Obviously a heavy damage-dealing focus, but I want to be able to heal up people and upgraded Beat Cops so I threw in the far more efficient looking Emergency Aid over First Aid. There is a big combo around Double or Nothing and Fire Axe, of course. There are some questionable one-ofs, but a singleton prepared for the worst seems sufficient to dig for a fire axe or other weapon later, Dynamite Blast for emergencies, Manual Dexterity for a speed test or emergency evade, etc. The singleton Taunt seems questionable and should maybe be a 2-of, but I am hoping Rex's 2 copies of Elusive cover for him? Lucky is there for failed attacks when I really need them to hit.

My one concern playing that Zoey deck would be having enough resources to play things. Guardian cards cost a lot of resources, and Fire Axe burns through those precious resources pretty hard. You have 7 cards at cost 3+, almost a third of your deck. Maybe swap out 2x Physical Training (which works against retaining resources for the more expensive cards) for 2x Guts, or +1x Taunt and 1x Guts or something.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Oh, another thing, I highly recommend taking Dr. Maleson with Rex. Being able to redraw event cards is so very good. Means your first upgrades are likely Higher Education and Charisma.

Edit: Another issue with Zoey's resources, Lucky is hard to use with the Fire Axe.

Looking closer I'd skip working a hunch with Rex. He is fast enough at gathering clues without it. Another deduction would go further and save you resources.

I have inquiring mind in my deck but even though it looks amazing I've yet find it very useful. I'm almost never in a location without clues during the mythos phase (although Maleson helps with this) and holding onto the card to be able to trigger higher education is usually worth more than spending it. I'm not planning on getting rid of it, due to the Maleson interaction, but it is almost always a dead card whose only role is increasing hand size.

Elusive is a really good card. I went with Delve to Deep instead, but if I wasn't trying to milk as much XP as possible I'd probably consider it. Delve has been worth it for us though, my partner and I are playing Zoey + Rex on standard and we've already accumulated 20 xp after 3 missions. It is also a thematic pick for the investigative reporter with bad luck.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 7, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KPC_Mammon posted:

To answer your deck building questions, I don't think Rex needs a fire axe. Zoey is good enough at killing monsters that I've found Mind Over Matter, I've Got A Plan, and eventually Strange Solution are more than enough to aid in combat. As previously mentioned I love quick thinking, especially if Zoey takes Double or Nothing. Burglary is a waste of time, Milan gives you more than enough money when most of the good seeker cards are super cheap already. Seeking Answers doesn't synergize with Rex's special ability (you don't get two clues from the other location) so I've always skipped it.

Zoey is garbage at clue finding if you don't splash mystic and some of the scenarios focus more on investigation than combat. I think using your limited selection of non-guardian cards to pick up a weapon is a waste when you already have access to Machete and Lightning Gun.

Edit: Prepared for the worst is a great way to make the first copy of Lightning Gun you're able to afford a lot easier to find, so I agree on taking it.

So are you pushing me towards ditching Fire Axe in both builds?

Zoey seems like Drawn to the Flame is a usual inclusion for clue gathering?

Considerations after reading:
Rex:
- 2 Fire Axe
- 2 Working a Hunch
+ 1 Dr. Maleson
+ 1 Deduction
+ 2 Quick Thinking

Zoey:
- 2 Fire Axe
+ 2 Drawn to the Flame

Anything else? I'm concerned going down 2 full weapons for Zoey.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ShaneB posted:

So are you pushing me towards ditching Fire Axe in both builds?

Zoey seems like Drawn to the Flame is a usual inclusion for clue gathering?

Considerations after reading:
Rex:
- 2 Fire Axe
- 2 Working a Hunch
+ 1 Dr. Maleson
+ 1 Deduction
+ 2 Quick Thinking

Zoey:
- 2 Fire Axe
+ 2 Drawn to the Flame

Anything else? I'm concerned going down 2 full weapons for Zoey.

The .45 isn't a bad backup weapon that you can later replace with Lightning Gun. I'd take at least 5 weapon cards between Machete, .45, and Prepare for the Worst. Prioritize the Machete, but the other three cards are to taste.

Drawn to the Flame is really good. I've seen people argue for Rite of Seeking, but that is probably overkill (and really expensive) when you are teamed up with Rex.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Newbie player question that I cannot answer, RAW: Daisy draws a number of cards equal to the number of Tomes on her deck at the start of the game each time she gets an Elder Sign. Yay or Nay?

From the Rulebook:

- A player controls the cards located in his or her out-of-play game areas (such as the hand, deck, discard pile).
- Cards by default enter play under their owner’s control. Some abilities may cause cards to change control during a game
- A card’s owner is the player whose deck (or game area) held the card at the start of the game.

And Daisy's ability:

- [Elder Sign] effect: +0. If you succeed, draw 1 card for each Tome you control.

EDIT: I know the answer is "you draw a card for each Tome you have on the table", but gently caress FFG rulebooks.

Rules reference page 1 posted:

Ability
[...]
Card abilities only interact with other cards that are
in play, unless the ability specifically references an
interaction with cards in an out-of-play area.

Arkham's rulebook is way tighter than most FFG lines. It's still not perfect though.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm about to start Lost in Time and Space and I've noticed that Rex has run out of interesting card upgrades long before Zoey even has half of what she wants.

How are other people prioritizing upgrades? I went with Stand Together and Beat Cop (2) as my early upgrades, which I'm sure helped with the deck's consistency and helped Rex when he didn't get an early Dr. Milan, but the Lightning Gun ended up completely changing the dynamic of late game fights. It proved vital the very first mission I had it.

Essex County Express: Being able to kill grappling horrors reliably in a single hit made the mission so much easier than when I went through it with Jenny and Daisy.

Where Doom Awaits: It also combos absurdly well with Double or Nothing. Zoey was able to one shot both the Crazed Shogoth and Seth Bishop, I had stacked enough modifiers that only an auto fail would have stopped me. The beginning of that mission was still pretty rough though, I kept drawing high health monsters before Zoey found a weapon. I didn't keep the Necronomicon so we even started that game with a 6 health enemy one space away.

The other card that ended up being game changing for Zoey was I've Had Worse. Where Doom Awaits: Beyond the Veil would have killed her if I didn't have I've Had Worse. I'm wondering if it would be possible to pick up before the Miskatonic Museum.

I know expensive XP cards being good shouldn't be a revelation but I was surprised by how important they were.

I also discounted the usefulness of Brother Xavier (it costs so much to play!) until Zoey was taken down to 1 health and 1 sanity in Blood on the Altar. Rex won the game for me that turn so it wasn't too bad but things got a little too close. Luckily that card is super cheap so I was able to buy it immediately. I was wrong, it proved to be incredibly useful. I was wondering though, does it combo with I've Had Worse to let you cancel damage to another player and gain resources?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 8, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why oh why did they not include those handy zip-lock card baggies in the deluxe expansions? :smith:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

Why oh why did they not include those handy zip-lock card baggies in the deluxe expansions? :smith:

This game basically requires a dedicated card box, imo. Keeping cards in the Ziplocs becomes impossible fast. Unless you needed them for something else?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ShaneB posted:

This game basically requires a dedicated card box, imo. Keeping cards in the Ziplocs becomes impossible fast. Unless you needed them for something else?

Yeah I guess I'll have to look into that option if I keep buying this. I've never put that kind of effort/money into this sort of game though.

Core box campaign finale trip report: I died. I died to gently caress and back. I didn't even finish act 1 before my corpse was smeared on the wall.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I guess I'll have to look into that option if I keep buying this. I've never put that kind of effort/money into this sort of game though.

Core box campaign finale trip report: I died. I died to gently caress and back. I didn't even finish act 1 before my corpse was smeared on the wall.

The small shoe card boxes on amazon are like $8 or so, and will be big enough for all the Arkham stuff as of now with an entire row+ free for expansion, or another CCG/LCG you want to get into. :D I honestly can't play this game without dividers now, it makes set up and deckbuilding far far nicer.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

ShaneB posted:

The small shoe card boxes on amazon are like $8 or so, and will be big enough for all the Arkham stuff as of now with an entire row+ free for expansion, or another CCG/LCG you want to get into. :D I honestly can't play this game without dividers now, it makes set up and deckbuilding far far nicer.

I just picked up a bunch of the BCW single row boxes to sort encounter sets and scenarios, it's such a quality improvement over little plastic bags. The entirety of dunwich non-player cards (in penny sleeves) take up just over half of an 800 count box, with room for tokens and the like. Another box for core set, PODs, and all the room I'll ever need for future PODs.

Player cards are still in the core box, i made a bunch of cardboard dividers to sort by class and stuff. Even with 3 cores and dunwich, it's less than half full.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

thocan posted:

I just picked up a bunch of the BCW single row boxes to sort encounter sets and scenarios, it's such a quality improvement over little plastic bags. The entirety of dunwich non-player cards (in penny sleeves) take up just over half of an 800 count box, with room for tokens and the like. Another box for core set, PODs, and all the room I'll ever need for future PODs.

Player cards are still in the core box, i made a bunch of cardboard dividers to sort by class and stuff. Even with 3 cores and dunwich, it's less than half full.

3 cores holy guacamole. I won't even buy 2 after buying all the mythos packs and carnevale in the span of a month.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

ShaneB posted:

3 cores holy guacamole. I won't even buy 2 after buying all the mythos packs and carnevale in the span of a month.

Yeah, it's a lot. Paid full for two, picked up the third from a friend who bought it and never played in payment for a few hours of moving furniture.

I think a second core is pretty worthwhile for opening up deck building options. Though at the rate new stuff is coming, it probably isn't as necessary as it was. The third is pretty excessive, but helps with larger play groups.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

thocan posted:

Yeah, it's a lot. Paid full for two, picked up the third from a friend who bought it and never played in payment for a few hours of moving furniture.

I think a second core is pretty worthwhile for opening up deck building options. Though at the rate new stuff is coming, it probably isn't as necessary as it was. The third is pretty excessive, but helps with larger play groups.

Yeah a 2nd is pretty required. I just printed a second copy of every core set card because I don't feel bad about it. I already spent like $150 on everything for this game already I think.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know the reason is money but they really should've just released a mini box with another set of player cards at half the price.

Buying the box, scenarios, rules and tokens two or three times is so wasteful.

e: The more I play the more apparent it becomes that you can't get very far with only one core box, regardless of player count. I know that's how LCGs work but that's really, really lovely.

stev fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 9, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm not a huge fan of the core set model, but that said, the second core set came in handy early on for repeated playthroughs. Being able to keep all three scenarios built at the same time made set up and clean up way faster.

And I managed to lose the first Elder Sign token I had (pretty sure my friend's dog ate it) but had a spare from the second core set ready to go.

On top of that you end up with a playset or more of every card in the core set with two, so it's one of FFG's least egregious LCG core sets.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Any thoughts on how to keep all of the main Scenario cards secured together in a group? I don't have issue with Encounter sets as I can stick them into a single sleeve, but I'd prefer to get them out of their original packaging if I can help it.

As for character cards, I've been keeping them in a couple of old magic Fat Packs for now and our decks are in sleeves that match the color of the investigator. If I can find a simple way to manage the scenarios then a longer card box should handle storage.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pinwiz11 posted:

Any thoughts on how to keep all of the main Scenario cards secured together in a group? I don't have issue with Encounter sets as I can stick them into a single sleeve, but I'd prefer to get them out of their original packaging if I can help it.

As for character cards, I've been keeping them in a couple of old magic Fat Packs for now and our decks are in sleeves that match the color of the investigator. If I can find a simple way to manage the scenarios then a longer card box should handle storage.

Dividers in a card box or even the original box.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I've got all my scenario cards, encounter sets, and basic weaknesses in a box with index card dividers. One box holds all of the core and all of Dunwich (sleeved). I had to kick Rougarou and Carnivale out into a second box, though. Player cards go in a binder. Setup and deck construction are both pretty good this way.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I think I found what I'm looking for: https://www.amazon.com/BCW-Trading-...ds=card+case+35

Those should fit into your typical card box, and then they shouldn't scatter if the box gets upended.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Just go to your local friendly home depot and grab something like this:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cardboard longbox for cards and printout the dividers on BGG. Super cheap, easy to transport, and the best organization for player and mythos cards.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
Anyone have any good alternatives or modifications for the investigator mini cards? Dunno why, but they've become a weird focus for my recent game improvement kick.

Also, any other suggestions for nifty or useful game additions or mods would be more than welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Metal cthulhu themed coins and plastic magnifying glass tokens are great, trying to find some cool doom tokens still too.