Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'll never forget the time I was watching a Korean light entertainment programme about girls from the city living in a small fishing village and they spent an entire 90 episode where the girls sat and watched a man from the government tell them about how Dokdo was always Korean, complete with lovely tripod presentation stand.

90 minutes of national butthurt :allears:

time for my favorite video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSBGVsoSH1c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Also Blistex posted this like a year ago but I never understood the chemistry of it all, what is the nitrogen doing to the soil?

fertilizer is not pH neutral. nitrogen is delivered to the soil in the form of ammonium, this is true of both synthetic fertilizer and organic ones made from manure. the ammonium seeps into the soil, breaks down, and releases both digestible nitrogen and......H+ ions.

exactly what balance is appropriate varies from place to place. rainfall, soil drainage, and the plant involved (soybeans like a different fertilizer mix than wheat, for example) all affect how much fertilizer you should use to both maximize yields and not cause massive soil acidification. it's a delicate dance and it needs to be recalculated often. but the calculation is not mystical nor confusing. you take some samples, you plug the variables in to a known equation, you get it back out. it's simple. of course, this being china, the farmers don't actually understand what they are doing and don't think about next year. so they figure if one heap of fertilizer must be good, two heaps must be better, and start the process of salting the earth in the biblical sense so loving nothing will grow in their fields in a couple years.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
china soil different, u cannot understand

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Its awesome that we get to watch societies learn over and over again the hard way that you have to rotate crops even though we have thousands upon thousands of years of agricultural background as a species that have all came to the conclusion that you have to rotate crops. Europe was in famine until the columbian exchange and a few hundred years later the irish nearly die because they didn't rotate out potatoes. fast forward to the dust bowl in the USA and now we have china today.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its awesome that we get to watch societies learn over and over again the hard way that you have to rotate crops even though we have thousands upon thousands of years of agricultural background as a species that have all came to the conclusion that you have to rotate crops. Europe was in famine until the columbian exchange and a few hundred years later the irish nearly die because they didn't rotate out potatoes. fast forward to the dust bowl in the USA and now we have china today.

Right but I can make 10% more money in the short term if I don't rotate my crops and this isnt the middle ages anymore. Dust bowl? Just pump more water from the aquifer. Poor soil? Fertilize it. Rapidly spreading diseases due to monocrops as far as the eye can see year after year? Spray it with *chemicals*, no don't worry they're "natural" chemicals with less science in them so they're safe.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I never got to go on one of those government propaganda trips to Dokdo that every other EPIK teacher seems to have been invited on. :smith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Baronjutter posted:

Right but I can make 10% more money in the short term if I don't rotate my crops and this isnt the middle ages anymore. Dust bowl? Just pump more water from the aquifer. Poor soil? Fertilize it. Rapidly spreading diseases due to monocrops as far as the eye can see year after year? Spray it with *chemicals*, no don't worry they're "natural" chemicals with less science in them so they're safe.

Over tens of thousands of years one thing has remained true - people are short sighted and dumb.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

most modern farmers aren't interested in regressive practices simply because people are taking a long enough view now of how one bad crop could run them out for years. the largest problem is initial cash injections to do a lot of stuff. irrigation is a big one that's all bass ackward right now. water resources are strained in a number of areas, but the solution is pretty much known. if you replaced the traditional sprinklers with drip irrigation, you practically eliminate water waste from evaporation (which is considerable in sprinkler systems). the problem is that initial deployment of drip irrigation is pretty expensive and farmers don't make a lot of money due to the constant downward pressure on food prices that will continue at least until world hunger is solved.

the biggest difference between chinese agriculture and most other places is the outright refusal to admit they're wrong about something. i've worked with outreach programs that teach these sorts of basic concepts to loving west africans and even when they just sort of roll up on a small stead and tell them "yo man this is how u farm" the response is more often than not "daaaaamn that OWNS" and when they check back in a year the farmer's adopted at least some of the good habits they were teaching.

in china it's more

Darkest Auer posted:

china soil different, u cannot understand

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know this isn't the climate change thread, but what are people's predictions on China and the region over the next 20-50 years? I don't see any good outcomes, Asia and Africa both seem hopelessly hosed.
India's prime farmland and population centres are going to be sporadically flooded and eroded and hit with the odd super storm that becomes more and more frequent and severe as time passes until a huge percentage of its agricultural productivity is gone. China will also be facing severe resource shortages, basic poo poo like clean water and productive farmland and flooding and seasonal storm issues in many of its major coastal cities. Smaller asian countries are also hosed, some are nearly florida-flat and in typhoon zones.

I just can't see how the whole region isn't going to collapse into absolute hell for the majority of people. Civil war, mass starvations and migrations, genocides and death camps for illegal climate refugees flooding into countries that are already struggling to support their own population.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mass famine is coming.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Coolguye posted:

most modern farmers aren't interested in regressive practices simply because people are taking a long enough view now of how one bad crop could run them out for years. the largest problem is initial cash injections to do a lot of stuff. irrigation is a big one that's all bass ackward right now. water resources are strained in a number of areas, but the solution is pretty much known. if you replaced the traditional sprinklers with drip irrigation, you practically eliminate water waste from evaporation (which is considerable in sprinkler systems). the problem is that initial deployment of drip irrigation is pretty expensive and farmers don't make a lot of money due to the constant downward pressure on food prices that will continue at least until world hunger is solved.

the biggest difference between chinese agriculture and most other places is the outright refusal to admit they're wrong about something. i've worked with outreach programs that teach these sorts of basic concepts to loving west africans and even when they just sort of roll up on a small stead and tell them "yo man this is how u farm" the response is more often than not "daaaaamn that OWNS" and when they check back in a year the farmer's adopted at least some of the good habits they were teaching.

in china it's more

I don't know how water rights work in China, but in the US, at least, there are still a number of policies on the books that create perverse incentives for overuse of water, either through the subsidization of center-pivot sprinkler systems and the like, or through "use it or lose it" water rights retention policies that encourage farmers to open their floodgates even when climate or other factors mean they don't actually need the additional stream diversions that year. When you add in the largely under-regulated nature of groundwater use (wells are magical and draw from "my water", regardless of who you are), this poo poo is gonna get wild!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm 60% sure if/when the mega swarms of climate change refugees start flooding down from the north, Australia will immediately swing hard right as politicians try to justify litterally machine gunning boatloads of people in the Timor Sea.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I know this isn't the climate change thread, but what are people's predictions on China and the region over the next 20-50 years? I don't see any good outcomes, Asia and Africa both seem hopelessly hosed.
India's prime farmland and population centres are going to be sporadically flooded and eroded and hit with the odd super storm that becomes more and more frequent and severe as time passes until a huge percentage of its agricultural productivity is gone. China will also be facing severe resource shortages, basic poo poo like clean water and productive farmland and flooding and seasonal storm issues in many of its major coastal cities. Smaller asian countries are also hosed, some are nearly florida-flat and in typhoon zones.

I just can't see how the whole region isn't going to collapse into absolute hell for the majority of people. Civil war, mass starvations and migrations, genocides and death camps for illegal climate refugees flooding into countries that are already struggling to support their own population.

The UN's own panel on climate change presents a really, really weird picture on it. In 2010 their most aggressive warming schedule that would require every African making as much as a modern-day Finn (and using exclusively fossil fuels to power the lifestyle) still had FEWER people under water and food stress than in 2000, not more. They took the deaths from climate change as some massive assumptions that all deaths above and beyond the year 2000's malaria, flooding, etc figures were due to climate change, and nothing else - which is insane on its face. The more recent report looks more dire, but the scientific assumptions are even harder to swallow. The death figure assumptions have doubled with no explanation, and the atmospheric CO2 projections have ignored recent slowdowns in developed world emissions rates and cut the projected absorption potential of the oceans when there's been no data to support that assumption. Even the sea level rise numbers keep changing from a couple of inches to a foot and a half without anyone really fielding an explanation as to why the figures are changing. There's been a lot of flak of the UN's committee from respected climate scientists that they're not practicing science anymore, they're just being alarmist. It's loving 2017 and even the Nature Conservancy, one of the most active conservation groups on the planet, occasionally calls the UN's climate data fake news. It's insane how hard it is to actually get real information about it.

At this point you can be assured of a handful of things in an assuredly warmer 2100:
- There will be more rain
- There will be more damaging storms
- There will be more plants (because plants generally like warmer climates more than cooler ones, and in a geological sense we've been fairly cool for the last few hundred years)

How much more rain? How many more damaging storms? How many more plants? Will they be plants we like for food and stuff? The preponderance of evidence is that climate change is real and happening (so deniers can get hosed) but it's likely to be pretty mild on the grand scale and not the apocalyptic event that most of us have massive hard-ons for.

The effects in Southeast Asia in the next 100 years will have much more to do with local habits and practices than global phenomena if you buy this interpretation. Notably, don't loving drown your poo poo in fertilizer and cover it in leaky goddamn plastic, what the absolute gently caress is wrong with you

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Outrail posted:

I'm 60% sure if/when the mega swarms of climate change refugees start flooding down from the north, Australia will immediately swing hard right as politicians try to justify litterally machine gunning boatloads of people in the Timor Sea.

I think we're absolute going to see some holocausts, death camps, genocides, and mass starvation, and even nuclear war if things get hot enough in the coming generation, and Asia is going to be ground zero for it. India is poised to lose about 40% of its farmland, Vietnam well over 50%, and global food production in general is going to take a big hit. I don't see what other outcome there possibly could be.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I think we're absolute going to see some holocausts, death camps, genocides, and mass starvation, and even nuclear war if things get hot enough in the coming generation, and Asia is going to be ground zero for it. India is poised to lose about 40% of its farmland, Vietnam well over 50%, and global food production in general is going to take a big hit. I don't see what other outcome there possibly could be.

Desertification data in the UN reports presumes that people will eventually use almost double the amount of water per-capita that they currently use and does not attempt to explain what will cause this rise

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Like don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say tomorrow will be magically good because reasons

But the more I've tried to dig down into precisely how I'm gonna die the less I'm convinced it'll be any way the doomsayers are predicting

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Baronjutter posted:

Is there TCM for farming?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Kerbtree posted:

Is there TCM for farming?

Yes, you just need to litter the ground with the corpses of any and all sparrows you can find.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Coolguye posted:

Desertification data in the UN reports presumes that people will eventually use almost double the amount of water per-capita that they currently use and does not attempt to explain what will cause this rise
Is that worldwide? Could they be assuming that developing countries "catch up" to American water use levels or at least come close plus have larger populations?

(I honestly don't know if we Americans are the most wasteful it just seemed like a safe assumption)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Isn't this just a general trend with increased wealth and standard of living?

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Climate change impacts/vulnerability researcher here:

China will experience, at minimum -

Increased damage to coastal communities due to increased storm surge, tropical cyclone intensity, rain-driven flooding, and upstream erosion, including landslides.

Increased desertification in the Western drylands.

Loss of coastal land due to sea level rise

Increased impacts from drought periods

Increased overall variability in climate regimes, including precipitation patterns

Increased losses to agriculture due to higher maximum temperatures and precip variability

Increased disease range in the north and along the Mongolian border

Increased impacts from wildfires in various humid forest zones

Loss of glaciers in the West and highlands (leading to less reliable streamflow in their already hosed up rivers)

So, in other words, they will also be turbofucked, and will likely face significant challenges due to the enormous concentration of their population in the highly vulnerable Eastern coastal regions.

The real issue will be how they provide for their poor and agricultural communities, many of which are in high vulnerability areas re: climate change impacts. If they gently caress that up too much, no amount of murdered sparrows will save them.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Darkest Auer posted:

Yes, you just need to litter the ground with the corpses of any and all sparrows you can find.

loving A lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Darkest Auer posted:

also plant deeper and more plants together so they can feel the warmth of their comrades

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is that worldwide? Could they be assuming that developing countries "catch up" to American water use levels or at least come close plus have larger populations?

(I honestly don't know if we Americans are the most wasteful it just seemed like a safe assumption)

the 2015 report took global average per-capita use and simply doubled it with no explanation

the net effect is that americans use twice as much water and africans use twice as much water, but americans end up using something on the order of 8 or 9 times as much as africans due to no scaling

this is ignoring the fact that the warmest scenarios basically presume that global poverty is eliminated

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Coolguye posted:

the 2015 report took global average per-capita use and simply doubled it with no explanation

the net effect is that americans use twice as much water and africans use twice as much water, but americans end up using something on the order of 8 or 9 times as much as africans due to no scaling

this is ignoring the fact that the warmest scenarios basically presume that global poverty is eliminated
Ugh, I don't like that math. Africans should more-than-double and Americans should less-than-double and... yeah whatever we all know it's bad I'll stop.

(saw a Haier minifridge in a coworker's office.)

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'm not envying the people that will be trying to cross the Mediterranean by then. Everyone is making GBS threads their pants here about the numbers that come atm. By then, they'll have autonomous murderdrones patrol and kill everything without an ID at sea.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/09/02...ional-identity/

eight thousand years of history
five thousand years of butthurt

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Fasdar posted:

The real issue will be how they provide for their poor and agricultural communities, many of which are in high vulnerability areas re: climate change impacts.

Good thing China's first priority is taking care of its most vulnerable communities

Jeoh posted:

How can the Chinese people have come from Egypt when all of humanity originated in Corea :confused:

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 7, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I was going to say, China doesn't give a gently caress about anyone not living in its major cities. The rural poor and smaller towns are liabilities to the current government. As long as they can keep their major urban centres under control and not rioting in the streets, the rural poor can starve to death or drown so long as they're too hungry and disorganized to threaten the government. But once a dictatorship lacks the resources to placate the bare minimum key populations to maintain their rule they can see regime change very very quickly.

What I could see in China's case is not outright civil war, but the country becoming more fragmented. Provincial leaders just ignoring Bejing and doing their own thing and looking out only for them selves all while no one in the country admits the state is falling apart or lacking unity because face and china has been a unified culture-state for 5,000 years. Eventually you'll get to the state where half the provinces in china respect Bejing as much as Taiwan all while every level of government swears China is still China and strong and fine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jeoh posted:

quote:

“If we desire to preserve the survival of the Han Nation, then it is imperative that we venerate the Yellow Emperor.”
loving wow, this is some warhammer 40k poo poo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone have the "how tankie are you?" cartoon that ends with "the sparrows had it coming" ?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrv78nG9R04

Any experience with this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sea level rise will be really bad for China because those 1.3 billion people aren't at all distributed through the US-sized country, they're all jammed in on the east coast. Even with just a couple meters of rise, which is likely inevitable at this point, China loses an area of land that probably has 300 million people in it.

China's already really dry and has very little farmland, and what's there is increasingly poisoned and unusable, so yeah. Of course, there's this vast area north of them that is largely uninhabited and will become more useful when it warms up.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fury Road quote/reference

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

China is a giant Rube Goldberg machine designed to kill its own citizens.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

whip posted:

Gutter Oil

Any experience with this?

Holy poo poo I thought it was just an expression, I honestly could have never imagined it's an actual thing.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I gagged continuously for the first minute as they extracted the "oil". If nothing else this is another piece of evidence Chain has reached end state capitalism in record time.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's the culinary equivalent of harvesting tobacco from cigarette butts, rolling them in newspaper and selling them as singles

Or panning the sewers for gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Accretionist posted:

Or panning the sewers for gold

Given that the average Beijing resident is making GBS threads out every other heavy metal known to man, I can see how this would happen.

• Locked thread